Simon & Simon

Ashes to Ashes, and None Too Soon

Aired Unknown Jan 19, 1982 on CBS

• Diamonds are a girl's best friend

The Simons are asked to deliver divorce papers, but it turns out that it's just part of their client's scheme to murder the man and have the Simons identify him for the police. In other words, once again, the Simons are hired by someone who figures that they are so hard up for money that they won't ask any questions. And once again, their client turns out to be a criminal, so they don't get paid for the job. They begin to catch on to the scam when another woman appears and claims to be the dead man's wife.

Continuities/discontinuities between this episode and the on-going series:

While Cecilia has helped out before, usually with rides or providing a safe location for a client, in this episode, she really wants to get in on the action, which seems to be out of character.

Back story revelations:

Rick handcuffed himself to the front doors of the Veterans Administration in 1976. (Gee, there's nothing the least bit current about that!)

Miscellaneous points:

Belinda J. Montgomery (Laura Steubens) is one of a handful of actresses to make several guest star appearances in the series. Louise Sorel will also show up again in a subsequent episode.

I love the opening scene, in which the Simons deliver a subpoena to the coroner in the morgue.

Cecilia: Laura, you come to my place for coffee and we'll talk girl talk. I'm not sure what girl talk is anymore, but in my day, when I was young, it was boys, clothes, and 'I wonder where the yellow went?'

Laura: Well, it's still boys, clothes, and waxy yellow build-up.

Cecilia Simon and Laura Steubens, "Ashes to Ashes, and None too Soon"