TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Simon & Simon Forums

CBS (ended 1988)

Does anyone know why the theme music was changed?

joshjr

[1]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 12
    I watched this show when I was growing up but I did not know that the early seasons had a different theme song.  I am curious if anyone knows why the theme song changed.  
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MultiMedea

[2]Aug 22, 2006
    • level: 39
    This is only speculation on my part, but almost all tv shows get tweaked after their first season. Massive cast changes, siblings 'disappear' and are never referred to again, characters move to a new apartment/office/city, girlfriends/boyfriends are dumped, a wacky new neighbor moves in next door. And theme songs and opening titles get changed. The Thrasher Brothers "More Than Brothers" was only used for the 1st season. I suppose the producers wanted to go with something more dynamic and action-oriented for subsequent seasons.

bill__b

[3]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    Or the Thrasher Brothers withdrew their permission to use the song. It could have happened if the group broke up and were arguing about ownership of rights. It's hard to think of anything else significant by them, but I'm not a big C/W fan by any means. MM is right though. There is often a lot of re-tooling (tinkering) between season 1 and following ones. I particularly disliked the theme change on Monk, for instance. What really stinks is the retrofitting that can happen when a series is released on DVD.

dmugnai

[4]Jan 23, 2007
    • level: 1

Does anyone know which show has the scene of AJ climbing up a rope onto a ship that

is shown towards the end of the brief opening scenes shown in seasons 6 through 8 of Simon & Simon.

MultiMedea

[5]Jan 25, 2007
    Possibly "Simon Without Simon" or "Mobile Home of the Brave", maybe "Mike and Pat"? (Trying to think of the ones that happened near a ship.)

cjhtwo

[6]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 6

Hey bill_b,

Thanks for mentioning the Monk theme music! I love the show, but I mute it every time the theme music comes on. It might not be bad music on it's own, but I loved the original so much that it pales in comparison. As for Simon & Simon, the original music was fun, but I can imagine that it might have gotten old quick. It was so very C/W and the new music I think had a broader appeal.

marvelfan89

[7]Nov 25, 2008
    The theme song they used for later seasons was more appealing for me.

psc0312

[8]May 8, 2009
    • level: 1
    There is an episode entitled "Bon Voyage, Alonso" in season 3 in which Town and AJ board a cruise ship to aid Rick, Cecilia, and their clients.