Sit Down, Shut Up

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Apr 19, 2009 on FOX

6.9
  • A suck show.

1.5
    This show is lame. The jokes were not funny and I am not a fan of animation against real life backrounds. The only thing good about the show is the cast; and even then it's debatable. I was whatching it and found myself losing interest every moment that passed; I was thinking: "from the producers of Arrested Development!", these guys must have been smoking the bad stuff. Thanks but no thanks, it looks like I will be sticking to American Dad, Family Guy, The Simpson and re-runs of Drawn Together, oh, and Superjail is good also. Ok is it 100 words yet!?
  • Learn to sit down, shut up, and listen to this new interesting Fox animated sitcom.

This show is about the teachers and staff of a tipical HighSchool and what they are really up to when the students aren't around. They begin with what they think are steriods that they've confiscated from a locker and due to budgets, if they don't win the next football game they will have to fire a staff member.

This show is a funny sitcom that looks promising as the next big animated hit from FOX. This Pilot is just an example of big, hilarious situations that are soon to come to Knob Haven Highschool. Keep watching the staff to see what they're up to.
  • Worst animated show ever on FOX

This is what happens when they start letting anyone make a primetime animated show. Obviously there is someone at FOX makning some very poor decisions. Let's just leave it to Simpsons and Family Guy as they seem to be the only people who know what a show should look like. It looks like a friggin Dora the Explorer episode and was so incredibly stupid and unfunny I actually couldn't believe they put this on between Family Guy and America Dad. I mean American Dad is pretty stupid but at least it looks good. Sit Down Shut Up is what killed primeimte animation in the 1990s when people were giving animated shows to Kevin Smith and David Spade. Just leave the animation to Seth and give up on executives trying to reinvent the wheel.
  • Not quite Arrested Development the Animated Series, but there are some laughs to be had.

When I first heard about Sit Down and Shut Up, I was quite impressed at the amount of talent that the show was able to gather. Arrested Development is one of my favorite shows, so to take Mitch Hurwitz, Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, and Henry Winkler, as well as Will Forte and Kenan Thompson from SNL, and put them all on one show, seemed like a good idea. Well, as it turns out it was.

I never did watch the Austrailian original, but what from what I have heard the show focues more on the teachers then the actual students, and we met the nine that the show focuses around this week. Some of them stand out a little more then others. Will Forte seems like a very good stand out character on the show, playing the Assisstant Principal, or Ass Prinicipal as he calls it. Jason Bateman's character is essentially the same as Michael Bluth on Arressted Development, except that Larry Littlejunk is the PE teacher. Henry Winkler and Will Arnet's characters also seem fairly funny, though they weren't really as featured in the episode. It will be interesting to see if FOX keeps this show around. It kind of reminds me a little bit of The Oblongs or Mission Hill on Adultswim, both in the humor style and the fact that the animation is unique. However, uniqueness deos not always transfer to good ratings, and FOX doesn't really have a good history with this kind of stuff. This seems like a promising start to the series. It's not quite Arrested Development, but it's not bad either.
  • Weak start, and I don't think it gets better from here.

The show features an all-star cast of current and former TV stars, but things just never quite click from the get-go. Sit Down tries too hard to be the opposite of The Simpsons and Family Guy, but the problem is that it succeeds at that goal. Where the characters on those long-tenured shows are unique, iconic and recognizable, it is difficult to remember where each stands on Sit Down, Shut Up.

When the viewer does manage to get a laugh out of the failed attempts at hilarity from the show, it is merely because you recognize the voice and not because there was anything overly clever about the show. One would expect much more given how brilliant Mitchell Hurwitz's last show Arrested Development was. Either Hurwitz was stoned when he wrote the script for this pilot or he has lost all his comedic touch because one laughs more in the first two minutes of Arrested Development than they do during all 22 minutes of this show.

Will Forte's voice makes you laugh, and his character Stuart Proszakian gets ample screen time, but his behavior makes zero sense, even by cartoon standards.

Another problem with the series is how difficult it is to remember the characters' names. Ennis Hofftard, Larry Littlejunk, Muhammad Sabeeh, these names do not exactly roll of the tongue.

Sit Down, Shut Up has an endless array of problems, but I do not believe it is merely pilot "jitters". I honestly feel that this series has been doomed from the get-go as it is just too wacky a product that only relates to a niche audience. Expect Sit Down to be gone by the end of the season, much like its Australian predecessor.