Six Feet Under

Falling Into Place

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 13, 2004 on HBO

• Nate deals with the death of Lisa .

A perfect episode all around. There's very little for me to say, this episode speaks for itself.

Everything involving Nate was so raw, so disturbing so...... REALISTIC. Simply breathetaking. I am completetly puzzled - excellent writing, excellent acting by Peter Krause.

From the first minute to the last I was gripped to the screen and didn't want this magic to end. This episode was a huge milestone in terms of Nate's character. I really don't see how this all will continue. Will he hook up with Brenda? Someone else? Just be single and mourn Lisa?
    Everything seems possible.

Other than his storyline, the other ones were good too. Almost everyone seemed to be involved which I like alot. The occasional comic relief was good too, especially the sex scene with Ruth and her new husband.

Overall this episode is the second high point of the series so far, the first being the second season finale. This episode clearly proved how raw and realistic drama can be in this show.
  • The Fisher's bury Lisa.

It's been awhile since I've reviewed this show, not because I thought the show wasn't good after the first season, but because I watched the show so fast after the first season that I didn't have time to stop and review. However, with plenty of free time on my hands, I figured I'd start reviewing this season as I slowly go through it. I thought the second season was fantastic, a master-class in story-telling and that the third season was good but suffered from too many random storylines that felt like they went nowhere and the out-of-nowhere death of Lisa, Nate's wife. I thought it was weird enough that the show killed off Lisa (it fits with the theme of the show, the fear of death and all of that). It just felt like a weird way to get rid of Lily Taylor, who was great in the show.

Season 4 starts off on the right foot though. After a bizarre cold open involving the death of an acid tripping teenager from the 70's, we pick up right where we left off: Nate is with Brenda, figuring out what to do after learning of Lisa's death. Everyone else is at the funeral home, dealing with the aftermath of Ruth and George's marriage. Ruth and George are busyconsummatingtheir marriage while David and Keith begin rekindling their relationship for the twelve-millionth time. Meanwhile, Claire is busy figuring out how to deal with the aftermath of her abortionand Rico struggles with his infidelity to his wife.

Even if Season 3 wasn't as strong as the first two, it did give the writers a TON of material to work with heading into the fourth season, and it's clear that the show will be taking its time looking into it. The best parts of the episode involves anything revolving around Lisa's death. Peter Krause is giving his best work here and the ending where we see how the death from the beginning of the episode ties into the episode as a whole was fantastic, a great twist on the "Death of the Week" format.

I think it's cool that the show decided to elevate James Cromwell to a cast member, but this episode gave him nothing to do at all. I hope he'll find a way to mesh with the rest of the actors, and something tells me that David and Nate won't be happy with a man trying to fill their fathers shoes. Also, Rico's plot seems completely disconnected from everything else. It's interesting, sure, but the whole "sister" thing between Vanessa and Angelica has gone on for way too long and Rico's infidelity could have good pay-off if the writers give it the proper attention.

Overall, the episode was filled with those great sad moments that make up this show and those dialogues between characters that make the scenes pop. The review below me claimed that they were disappointed in David and Keith getting back together. I can see the merit in this; seriously, sometimes, even the best of shows needs to realize that they need to either keep couples apart or together. I'll be interested in David and Keith's plot as long as they do something new with it.

But overall, it was a pretty good premiere.

• Season 4 Premiere

An emotionally-charged premiere of Six Feet Under tonight. What I loved most about it was the successful tie in with the dead man who lived in the '70s. Switching his ashes with Lisa's was fantastic especially since we didn't know why the man was in the opening in the first place.

Claire telling Russel she got the abortion was emotional and powerful. Not sure if I'm liking George at all though. It just seems like Ruth's story is finished as early as the beginning of the fourth season. The biggest disappointment here for me was the rekindling of the David & Kieth relationship.

Knowing Six Feet Under, these two will only have more problems and eventually break up and get back together again. Will we ever find out how Lisa died? Did she kill herself? Was she killed? If she did in fact drown? I would be satisfied if they made some sort of season arc with this mystery. The final scene was heartbreaking, you really feel for Nate, and you really feel for the Lisa character. Overall, solid premiere. Hopefully this season is better than the last.
  • A dark day for Nate

After finishing last season with the death of Lisa, Season 4 picks up where 3 left off, and finds Nate in turmoil. He wants to respect Lisa's wishes and bury her in the ground with no coffin. Her family strongly objects and this leads to tension between them and Nate. David does his best to mediate and keep Nate from losing control. In the end, Nate deceives everyone and makes his own plan to bury Lisa the way she wanted. There is a moving scene where Nate finally lets his emotions go after putting her in the ground. I hope things start to look up for him. In other Fisher news, David is contemplating getting back with Keith and Claire informs Russell about her abortion. She is surprised at his reaction, although I thought he had every right to act the way he did. That is not news to be taken lightly. And things are looking up for Federico, when his wife finally asks her annoying sister to leave, making Federico very happy. Another great installment...
  • Nate deals with the tragic death of his lovely wife. Guilt-ridden and depressed, Nate struggles to arrange her funeral, while dealing with Lisa's grief-stricken family, who wants her cremated. In the end, Nate buries his wife in a remote desert.

This is without a doubt one of the most emotionally heavy episodes I have ever seen. Peter Krause was near-perfect in this episode. The pain that he felt as he picked up his wife's body, as he fought with his wife's family, as Lisa's sister spoke those beautiful words, the pain that Maya would have to endure, now that her mother is dead. My heart broke as Nate buried his wife, crying and screaming all the while. One watches this episode and sees Nate's very soul, cut into ribbons, his heart, ripped in two. Why Peter Krause did not win an Emmy or a Golden Globe is beyond me. He deserved it for this episode. A great, beautiful, heart-wrenching piece of work. One of the great moments in TV. God bless
  • One of the most stunning and powerful pieces of television ever created.

Never before have I been so affected by a television show. And yet, Six Feet Under has managed to provoke some spine-tingling emotions in many episodes for myself.

This episode, especially the ending, with the extremely emotional acting is like nothing I've ever seen before. This is hands down a classic Six Feet Under episode.
  • Morning After Written by Craig Wright Directed by Michael Cuesta

Keith: "I feel like i've been eating this cake for 12 months".

I couldn't have thought of a more appropiate way to open my first paragraph to review the new season of Six Feet Under and after those supermarket promos with Nina Simone's "Feeling Good" the anticipation reached fever pitch. Since "I'm Sorry, I'm Lost", we've gone through Sex And The City's final season, the marvellous Carnivale and Angels In America as well as The Sopranos' penultimate year and after all of the above was the first episode of Season Four worth the wait? Despite some rather question worthy and puzzlesome moments, this opener had a lot to offer, so here goes ...

"Falling Into Place" takes just seconds after the final moments of "I'm Sorry, I'm Lost" where Nate shows up at Brenda's and tells her of Lisa's death. However his search for comfort with his ex leads to an unwise (but brief) sexual encounter between the pair, adding further awkwardness between the former lovers the morning after. Also during the night, a seemingly reunited David and Keith stay over at the former's childhood room, which is made even weirder for Dave when he has to hear Ruth in the throes of connubial bliss, which i'll get back to later.

Next day everyone, including George (who Nate's hostility towards is almost non-existent - Bet that won't last long, though) learns of Lisa's death and at the coroner's office, it is David who has the uneviable task of identifying the body, turning what Nate had to do in the Pilot regarding his father almost on it's head.

From here on in, the bulk of the premiere now largely revolves arounds Lisa's funeral and some viewers may be delighted to see Lili Taylor's ill-fated character in a nicely done flashback where Lisa gives her burial wishes to Nate. These wishes come into direct conflict with Lisa's freakish mother, who could possibly give Margaret Chenowith a run for her money in terms of parents you wouldn't want as she wants her daughter cremated and when you think you fathom the outcome, the episode's denoucement turns everything on it's head as the Kimmel's leaves with ashes believed to be Lisa, while Nate buries his wife in the desert in a scene that will have viewers reaching for their hankies as the end credits roll.

But it isn't just Peter Krause who steals the show as going back to the current Nate/Brenda situation. While there may be tension still between the pair, unlike Season Three's closing instalments, at least Nate isn't trying to blame her for anything, even when he puts the kibosh on Brenda's plans to go to the funeral.

Still though, at least she's got the lovely Joe to get neighbourly with and moves in rather closer to him when the previous day she was determined to maintain some resonable distance. Second episode in and my opinion on the guy still stands - I like him and great casting in Justin Theroux who is developing some brilliant chemistry with Rachel Griffiths. Unlike last season when the Brenda/Nate/Lisa triangle had the latter of the bunch not sitting well with viewers and critics alike, the same cannot be said about the inevitable Nate/Brenda/Joe entanglement here. And with Brenda's celibacy now obliterated, how long are the writers gonna be able to maintain this arc where other shows have fallen flat on their arses with? On the plus side, at least Brenda seems more intregrated this season than last and if her and Joe are heading for a collision course, can it be at least towards the end of the season, please?

Meanwhile Claire confesses all to Russell regarding the abortion and sends him packing when he breaks down. It's nice to see Rusty again and maybe Claire could've been more sympathetic when telling him, but at the same time his melodramatic act is getting a little tedious at the moment. If he's going to be around for this year, in whatever capacity, maybe the writers should makes a couple of changes for the character.

David and Keith also remain a question worthy topic as the status of their new relationship is also kind of unknown to either of them. Both of them want to be with the other and both confess that they don't want anyone else but each other and while they are willing to make some changes, you can't help but feel that David moving back in with Keith is a tad rushed. Wouldn't it have be more logical for the pair to rebuild their relationship, but have some distance between them. Then again, with the ecstatically happy Ruth and George (for now) shagging, maybe that's why David was so eager to scarper back to Keith. But, I can't help but feel that by doing this they will fall into old familiar shoes.

Following his indiscretion with lapdancer Sophia, Federico allows Angelica to stay longer until an impatient Vanessa turfs her out and after three seasons of not featuring in premieres and playing second fiddle to her husband, Justina Machado gets to cut loose her character shows why we should be watching this season as well as Federico's bizarre, as despite confessing all to a priest, he can't help but not drive by the strip club to get a glimpse of Sophia. And I can't wait to see where this heads.

Also in "Falling Into Place"

The fake ashes given to the Kimmels are from Bruno Baskerville Walsh, who in a flashback to 1972 we see jump off the roof after an acid trip in a nicely prodded nod to the brilliant Almost Famous.

Ruth:"Oh George, George"

David's response:"I never knew the word 'George' could sound so obscene". - Nor did I.

Claire:"I got an abortion?"
    Russell:"When?"
    Claire:"Like, right after we broke up".

The use of music here isn't as instant as previous season openers, although that song (Jonathan Rice - "Breaks So Easily") played during David and Claire's "eye-breaking" conversation kind of stood out.

Standout song includes the Pernace Brother's "Baby In Two" during Claire and Russell's phone conversation.

For a man allergic to cats, shouldn't even feeding them be a little harmful to Joe?

David:"What did we do? Did we just get married?"
    Keith:"No"
    David:"Feels like we did"
    Keith:"Don't overthink it".

Not only does Russell still have that unclean hair, but now he's got a moustache to match, which is worse.

Chronology it's still obviously July 2003..

Anyone else notice Rachel Griffiths' post pregnancy show? This episode was only filmed a few weeks after the actress gave birth.

Loved Barb's eulogy to Lisa. I am so the type of person to call my friends at inappropiate times over something trivial.

Federico could barely contain his joy at Angelica being kicked out. And what about his confession to that priest?

Had to admit that I was worried over the fact that Alan Ball didn't script this episode (I hope this isn't a sign of reduced involvement in the show - way too many producers/creators are doing that these days), but the superb Craig Wright kept us on our toes once again, although a bit more of poor Arthur would've have been nice and while things weren't as dark as last season, you can't help but wonder if David and Claire's "eye-breaking" conversation may forshadow for bleaker things to come. However, despite some mishaps, "Falling Into Place" still displays why this show is probably the best thing on television right about now.

• There Won't Be Trumpets Lisa Kimmel Fisher 1967-2003 Bruno Baskerville Walsh 1951-1972 Written by Craig Wright Directed by Michael Cuesta

"Lisa didn't believe in borders and that's why I know wherever she is... she's EVERYWHERE. She's everywhere and that means she's home"--Barb

I was a little hesitant when I heard series newcomer, Craig Wright was to write the fourth season premiere (writer of only 2 great episodes) filling in the shoes of the great Alan Ball but I was wrong. He wrote one hell of a premiere.

The opening death was spectacular. At first I was a little confused. What the hell does this have to do with the episode. The director made it look as if it was right from the 1970s. Did anyone think that actress who played Cindy, looked a little like Claire?

Picking up seconds after "I'm Sorry, I'm Lost", a bloody and beaten Nate enters the home of his one time flame, Brenda who welcomes him in with loving arms. She cleans his wounds and puts him to bed. The two then have passionate sex. The following morning however there is awkwardness.

Claire is pissed off that Nate is always coming and going as he pleases and is truly tired of it. Later on she shares a secret with Russell that totally explodes in her face. She knew it was going to happen someday.

David and Keith are still looking for ways to start over. One includes the fact that Keith stays the entire evening at the funeral home which is a first and that they both agree to no therapy and that Keith needs to find another suitable job.

Federico sees a priest and his wife kicks that whiny sister out on her ass.

Ruth and new hubby George make it loud and clear that they are married after having loud, boisterous sex that wakes up everyone in the entire house. How disgusting to hear your mother getting banged.

Nate truly shows great emotion in this episode when he relives a flashback in which Lisa tells him she doesn't want to be buried. Lisa's mom however is strictly against it. She wants her creamted and her ashes spread in Idaho. David comes up with an equal solution though giving both parties the funeral they wanted, thus the importance of Bruno Walsh.

In a rather touching moment in the series, Nate buries Lisa in a remote desert location as each Fisher quietly does their duties. Ruth combing her hair; Claire looking at Nan Golden pictures and David moving back in.

I have to give props to Craig Wright, Michael Cuesta and Rick Marvin who wrote that beautiful music piece at the end of the episode.

Well done!