Six Feet Under Forums

HBO (ended 2005)

what do i watch now?

eds_poofed_hair

[1]Jul 27, 2008
    • level: 7
    ok so i just watched the whole show in the past few weeks, loved every second, as i should. but what should i watch next? this is the first HBO show i have ever seen...usually i am not into HBO shows. sometimes i feel they try too hard to "push boundaries" or whatever, i don't like to waste my time. but what is the tv show out there closest to six feet under in quality? (i was thinking of watching carnivale, iunno)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

xphilenz

[2]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 8
    eds_poofed_hair wrote:
    ok so i just watched the whole show in the past few weeks, loved every second, as i should. but what should i watch next? this is the first HBO show i have ever seen...usually i am not into HBO shows. sometimes i feel they try too hard to "push boundaries" or whatever, i don't like to waste my time. but what is the tv show out there closest to six feet under in quality? (i was thinking of watching carnivale, iunno)

I have just finished watching all 5 seasons for the first time. Several I had to watch twice as I went they were just so good. I came to this from two directions - Dexter with Michael C Hall which I have been watching closely, and Sports Night with Peter Krause. Actually three because PK is quite brilliant in the new Dirty Sexy Money as well, and I went there for Donald Sutherland.

I was raving here somewhere blindly about Dexter and how insanely incredibly, out of left field brilliant it was, and asking much the same question you are as to what could ever beat that. A kind soul who can never know what it now means to me said if I never watched anything else to make sure for my own sake I made sure I watched The Wire sometime in my life. So I did - bought the first dvd set even and 2 episodes in I had ordered everything else I could get.

Since SFU is the only HBO show you say you've ever seen, then you wont have watched The Wire. If you want something in the same class of television as Six Feet Under there really is only The Wire. Nothing else really touches Six Feet Under for the full impact, not even something as incredibly good as Dexter, only The Wire doesn't touch it - it slaughters it - totally, completely, and in ways there is no point in even trying to describe. Nothing you will ever watch from television ever made so far will effect you the same way or make you understand so much about being human. So I will pass on the message - make sure before you die that you have seen this show, and I promise you at the end you will find the only other show you could watch that will leave you with the same depth of feeling the Six Feet Under has. After 40 years of television viewing, seeing these two sows in their entirety in the same year has totally changed my belief in television.

hatchusaf

[3]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 3
    Well, I guess a show that is near SFU is John from Cincinnati...but that's cancelled also so...sorry...nothing comes close the SFU. That show is really a life changer!

mackymacaspac

[4]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 78
    Among the HBO shows, I watch Big Love and Entourage. And of course I plan to watch Alan Ball's True Blood.

Pezerinno

[5]Aug 4, 2008
    Suprised no-one has mentioned 'Oz'.

PabloExobar

[6]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 18

well there's really no show like SFU . i mean if this was the PB board, id just tell you to watch 24, and you'd probably enjoy that more.

however there are definitely shows that are on the same quality level. definitely worth checking out :

- the wire(even though I dont like it, you might)

- dexter(michael c hall plays a serial kill... nuf said)

- nip/tuck(making people look good while they're still alive, good family drama too)

- the shield(really has nothing to do with SFU, but probably the most realisitc cop show on TV along with the wire)

- rescue me(awesome firefighter dramedy)

these are all cable shows, because honestly network shows are not really on the same level as SFU. probably Lost, but that's part sci fi and im not sure if you want that after SFU.

DaveMelon

[7]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 3
    If you've really just watched the whole of Six Feet Under in a couple of weeks, then I think you should switch to a light hearted comedy now!

dylanesque

[8]Aug 27, 2008
    If you like quality show, with great actors, there is Mad Men, The Sopranos, Homicide or The Wire. Mainly HBO series !

Mlebaron

[9]Sep 6, 2008
    • level: 11
    I recommend Deadwood. It is certainly in a much different class than Six Feet Under, but the writing and acting are impeccable, just like Alan Ball's series. I came to Deadwood after it was "canceled" and I can say that by the end of the third season, I was in love with the language and sad to see it end. The only problem is (AND THIS MAY BE A SPOILER, BUT NOT REALLY) Deadwood never had any resolution and the final episode is kind of a downer.

codename11

[10]Sep 29, 2008
    • level: 9
    As mentioned you may enjoy Michael C. Hall as Dexter.
    Damages is a fast paced legal thriller highly enjoyable.
    If you like the whole dead thing (on the lighter side) check out Bryan Fuller Dramedies Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies which are awesome!
    Mad Men is full with great acting and writing and talent I will warn you it's very slow and dull but engrossing none the less.
    True Blood is the new vampire drama by SFU creator Alan Ball you may enjoy.
    If you want something hilarious try the Office or an AMAZING character dramedy Weeds.
    If you are looking for a police drama try The Closer or Amazing Grace with amazing female leads.

I listed alot but I like alot of TV as you can see :/ Anyways hope you enjoy!

wowbobwow38

[11]Nov 21, 2008
    • level: 5

Seriously, everyone should watch Homicide: Life on the Street before watching The Wire. Homicide is/was the best cop show ever and one of the finest dramas ever to grace network television. And since The Wire was created by David Simon, who wrote book that Homicide is based on, I would recommend watching it first. And I agree that Six Feet Under is the best show I have ever seen, followed by Twin Peaks and Homicide.

what to watch now:

True Blood!!!

Mad Men. Not a great show, but the writing is so exceptional that I can't stop watching it. It's definitely not for everyone because it is very slow paced, but still very engaging.

Carnivale!! - a show that was sadly cancelled and the best show I have seen in a long time. What an amazing cast they got together for that show. And the one and only show that reminded me of Twin Peaks (since everything after it was compared to it which was a nice homage but often the comparisons were off the mark). And for all its flaws, we have Peaks, David Lynch and Mark Frost to thank because it broke television wide open because after it came The X Files, Northern Exposure, American Gothic, Picket Fences etc etc, so I guess I would add that to the list if you haven't seen it.

Another show that often gets overlooked is Millennium. I loved that show and Lance Henriksen (who has probably been in more bad movies than any other actor)but he was great on that show.

what do I watch now: other than the shows mentioned...I religiously watch House (which has consistently been the best show on currently) Heroes, Big Love, The Closer and of course, Dexter.

Edited on 11/21/2008 7:55am
    Edited 2 total times.

codename11

[12]Mar 27, 2009
    • level: 9
    I also just started Big Love and it's also excellent!

Izzytheinsane

[13]Apr 6, 2009
    If you're not afraid of a bit of Sci-fi then I'd say Battlestar Galactica is a good choice. There is no show like SFU that I've seen but BSG comes close at times.

Carnivale is pretty cool and isn't a bad choice for your next show.

Rome is a fun show but it's not exactly like SFU. Rome is an HBO show with lots of blood and some "What?! Oh my god...." moments. Definitely a series to check out and could be a bit of a relief from the seriousness of Six Feet Under. I heard good things about Pushing Daisies but have not checked it out yet.

I'll jump on the Dexter bandwagon too. It's an interesting show but not sure if it's up there with SFU.

So yeah; BSG, Carnivale, and Rome are my suggestions for follow up shows. I've also started watching Breaking Bad and it's good so far, only 2 episodes in.

redhawk100

[14]Apr 14, 2009
    • level: 6

Here are my recommendations from someone that really enjoyed "Six Feet Under" :

1) Definitely Battlestar Galactica is worth watching even if you dont like sci-fi and the show ended its run a few weeks back so you wouldnt have to worry about it not getting a resolution (pretty good ending IMO).

2) Dexter - very good writing and acting and has already secured another two seasons.

3) The Shield - IMO the best and most "realistic" cop drama you will ever find on TV (even better than The Wire).

4) Pushing Daisies - Some elements are similar to "Six Feet Under", but even more strange and quirky.

Edited on 04/14/2009 11:20am

lori41

[15]Jan 16, 2010
    • level: 1

SFU is a hard act to follow!!

I enjoy: Madmen, Californication, Weeds, and Big Love. Heard True Blood was sort of inconsistent in the first season--but I may check it out. Also, just re-watched Ally McBeal--and certain elements of that (her quirkiness, her hallincinations, her talking to dead people, etc.) reminded me of SFU. It's a great show (though not as consistently so as SFU).