Six Feet Under

Pilot

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 03, 2001 on HBO

• Funereal Nathaniel Fisher, Sr. 1943-2000 Written and Directed by Alan Ball

"When other kids my age were going to frat parties I was draining corpses and refashioning severed ears out of wax."-David

Wow, when Six Feet Under debuted in 2001, I just have to say it was amazing. The first hour brilliantly written and directed by Alan Ball is an absolute masterpiece. It is truly a fine pilot episode compared to others of the genres.

The main storyline in the episode stays focused on Nathaniel's passing and how his death impacts the entire family. From the runaway son, Nate who is pulled back to L.A. by his mother and having sex with a stranger in an airport before even knowing her name. To high school misfit Claire who is heavily into sex, drugs and bad relationships. To David, the closeted homosexual funeral director who sticked around after his brother left.

Others in "Pilot" include the widow Ruth who admits she had an affair with a hairdresser while her husband was still alive and mortician Federico, a very skilled and talented embalmer. (We'll see his pregnant wife in Episode 2).

Also...
    -Loved the "Death Care Industry" commercials, they were so elegantly done.
    -The Nate/David cemetery scene was well done.

Wonderful episode and it continues throughout the five years of the series.