Six Feet Under

Pilot

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 03, 2001 on HBO

• Unusual family business...

2 years ago, I decided that I need to start watching this show. But something always stopped me from doing it. However, a few months ago, a good tv.com friend of mine, cavanagh15 made the last final push by recommending me this show.

So I blindly bought the complete series box set(which by the way is amazing) and gave the pilot a go.

I'm satisfied. I like the looks of the show, and while the pilot didn't make me as enthusiastic as some other show's pilots, it definitely confirmed it to me that i'm going to love this show.

I didn't really know much about the show, but still, I totally predicted what would be the plot of the pilot episode. Still, it was surprising, and well executed. The pilot episode is structured in a very regular, traditional way, which may be why it doesn't earn a superb score. But no way was the quality traditional; just the structure.

Lot of pilot episodes fail because they are too dry... mostly because most shows start with character development, even before we even care about the characters.

SFU pretty much does the same but the very unique, bizarre atmosphere, and truly interesting characters make it nothing but "dry".

The two best assets of the show are, obviously, the Fisher "boys", Nate and David. I have hard time deciding who I liked better in this episode, they both proved to be amazing, but I'll go with David for now as I think he has a bit more depth.

Another great thing is the atmoshpere, as I mentioned it earlier. The fact that the whole show is dealing with death is just really creepy. And the way it does it -- even creepier. While I know this is mainly a drama, even the pilot episode had some laughable moments, and I'm sure there's even more in store for later episodes. Not so much funny, but bizarre. I think that's the right word.

Other than the episode having the traditional structure I thought there were some minor issues too.

I don't like Brenda's character at all, she just seems awfully forced... this could change quick, but in the pilot, she seemed like an plot device to make Nate's character a bit more complex, as all she did was make absolutely silly comments about him. I also think Claire was a little overdone in the episode. I know the point was to show grief and really, just a huge range of emotions, but it just felt as if her screentime stole other's screentime. Other, better character's. Though, the fact that she was high when she heard the bad news was a great dramatic device. All considered, this is definitely a show that is true to the HBO standards. Really slow paced, really deep, and has high quality written all over it.

The acting was superb, especially by Michael C. Hall and Peter Krause. Alan Ball did an impressive job directing, and the writing was good too. 8.5