Six Feet Under

Rainbow of Her Reasons

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jul 10, 2005 on HBO

• Ruth finally breaks away from George

I hope we still see James Cromwell in the show because George was quickly becoming one of my favorite characters on the show. At first, he seemed annoying because of how interested he was in the environment and the bomb shelter, but after it became clear of what was going on with him and why he was so obsessed with it, he became less of an irritation and more of a tragically injured character.

Ruth leaving George makes me upset but Frances Conroy is such a good character that I can feel for both characters at the same time. It was nice to see Patricia Clarkson and Kathy Bates return. They bring such an easy-going feel to the show. I loved the way the episode was a girl-power congregation and the intensity ended up dwindling down near the end, after they all go down to visit their friend that died and sing "Calling All Angels" to her. It was a touching moment in a show that knows exactly how to do touching moments.

As for the rest of the cast, it was hit or miss. Rico and Vanessa haven't interested me all season and this was no exception. The whole au pair plot was pointless and was the type of odd storytelling I typically don't like from the show. I really did enjoy Billy and Nate talking through, talking about first loves and how you shouldn't waste your time on somebody who doesn't love you. The show sometimes plays the same tricks on us with the relationships between characters so it's nice to see the writers give certain characters different beats to play with each other.

We also get our first glimpse at Anthony and Darrell, the two adopted kids. Darrell is the typical angry foster kid who hates everybody and makes a hard time for David and Keith, but it should be interesting to see how those characters evolve over time. Right now, the two adopted kids haven't interacted with the rest of the Fishers so I'm looking forward to when that happens.

• Hmm...

Wasn't a bad episode, but rather static. Ruth and George storyline along with Frederico and Vanessa storyline got wrapped up but both were... so-so.

Vanessa randomly asking Rico to move back in just because the babysitter was crazy felt... rather rushed compared to how long their relationship trouble has been going on.

George actually kicked out that **** Ruth which was cool, but its still beyond me how selfish and annoying Ruth can be. The new Brenda for me. Claire... so so... so shes got a job... and she got rejected.... and so shes not a real artist..... ok. It just felt really linear that it actually bored me! And even though the death of the episode was connected to the Fisher family it was... dull.... so all these crazy girls get together. Ok. The saving grace was David and Keith trying to deal with the kids. Keith obviously has a difficult time wheras David is calm and patient. Go David. Even though the kids are annoying me too... heh.

Nate nad Brenda were kind of standstill... so... I guess.... this was a rather dull episode.
  • An extremely enjoyable and entertaining episode, some stand out hilarious moments here.

At times hilarious but yet things still moved on. I'll start with Ruth here. So we finally get that she is doing what her knitting pals advised her to, she's moving George to a place where you can take care of himself. This is so obvious it's funny, her excitement when she hears the news, how she lies on the phone to prevent seeing him for longer.

She let her hair down and had fun with Sarah, Bettina and some other woman, including Brenda. This was very amusing and we got the long overdue make up between Ruth and Claire, even though Ruth seemed a little drunk. I must say that Bettina was great here, very funny woman. But in the end, after a talk from Maggie, George realises what Ruth is doing and tells her she's 'free'. Quite sad really.

Moving on to Claire, she's getting back to her old self and I loved her in this new office (Temp job). The employees were so weird and the whole place seemed strange. It was so funny when Claire told that woman about her underwear but was absolutely hilarious when in her imagination she broke into song, highlight of this season so far.

Nate was more background here, he turned up in a lot of scenes but didn't have huge parts to play. But he does say something to Maggie which makes me think that he wants something with her, all I can say is poor Brenda. At least she got to relax here and she can tell her boss/friend about her growing troubles with Nate.

David and Keith. Now this was hilarious for most of the time, to see them try to handle the new members of there household, the adopted Anthony and older brother. It was just funny how different they were, Keith the dad, David the mom. Everything seemed to go wrong, and Darrell (Think that's his name) just caused trouble. But it seems that they'll be sticking around.

Vanessa with this 'babysitter' from another place or country was at times also very amusing. But the best part was by far when Vanessa told her she was fired, I just love how she wasn't taking any nonsense. Then after she was done, the girl just had to ask about the response from her survivor audition, brilliant. To see Vanessa tell Rico to move back in for what must be to be less stresed with the kids was a bit unfair, I was surprised that he just accepted it but then again he is desperate.

Overall this was a brilliant and hilarious episode but it wasn't perfect!
  • Review

I keep waiting for Six Feet Under to really give everything they have to the remaining episodes yet right now everything is still at a standstill it would seem. George and Ruth finnaly resolving there problem seems to be a good thing as hopefully we will be seeing a little less of those two in the episodes to come. Perhaps its just my age that I connect better with the rest of the Fishers, or maybe Ruth really is just as boring as I think she is. Rico and Vannessa stroyline has been a really interesting one this season and one I believe the writers have done the bets job on. I thought that the "Will you move back in" conversation was a little oddly shot...everyone and anyonecould tell Vannessa was upset. She wasnt happy when she asked him to move in. Had she been happy and then faded into a depression when he walked away I would have been happier.

Nate, Claire, and David were all same old same old in this episode. David + Keiths problems were fun to watch I should say, while Claire and Nate just kinda took an episode off from emotional stress. (Claire getting rejected was seen coming from a million miles away, that didnt count for emotional stress.
  • Release Written by Jill Solway Directed by Mary Harron

Entering the halfway point of this consistently brilliant fifth year, for weeks we’ve been plagued with online spoilers that a fairly major character was going to bite the bullet. I was 90% sure the character in question was gonna be Sarah but instead it turned out to be her friend Fiona (yes that Fiona) and while it was a slight letdown to begin with, the episode made sure to keep me watching as we got some truly exhilarating moments with this death of the week.

The excellent Patricia Clarkson was a total delight as Sarah. Self-centred, narcissistic, and grief stricken for her friend, Clarkson pulled in her best performance yet on the show and with the welcomed return of Bettina and Sarah’s art friends, Ruth got to let her hair down in style. What was there to love about these mad-cap women and their antics? How about their inspired idea of a men free utopia during dinner? Maybe it was Ruth borrowing pot and a bong from Claire or how about the beautiful sing song in the prep room with a deceased Fiona? When I think about, I’ll go for all of them, actually.

Admittedly Sarah’s return was a lot more useful than her previous outing, she still left pretty quickly. The various in-jokes about Fiona were hilarious as was Claire’s horror of the thought of the ceramist being murdered when she learns of her death. Rico and David’s sly quips about Nate seeing his former love naked once again was quite funny though Ruth’s “forgiveness” of Fiona added levity to a revelation longed only laughed about on the series.

Ruth got some brilliant moments in this episode and Frances Conroy certainly looked like she enjoyed herself here. It was also wonderful that after nearly half a season feuding her and Claire made amends with each other. Unfortunately the George scenario still isn’t satisfactory. Although Sarah and Bettina didn’t condemn her decision, I don’t think they understood her actions and Maggie most definitely didn’t, not that I blame her. It’s the episode’s denouncement when George finally figures out Ruth’s plot and sets her free that this really becomes heartbreaking. Are they really over? George certainly loves Ruth and I’d hate to see him give her up without a fight, so I really hope not.

Speaking of fights, the inevitable tension that I expected with Anthony and Durrell is here as Keith struggles to discipline the latter and easily loses his cool while David falls into the all predictable mothering routine with the troubled kids. Although it has to be said that Anthony’s not much trouble and Durrell despite his attitude isn’t the spawn of Satan (now those Scavo kids in Desperate Housewives, that’s another matter altogether) but I’m finding it hard to pick sides with either one of them. Keith’s far too quick with anger and trying to lock them in their room was only asking for aggrevation. David’s not much better either. His refusal to let Keith voice his concerns to the social worker really annoyed me and he’s falling into that doormat trap of bribing them too which will blow up in his face like Keith’s strategy. That being said, let’s keep Anthony and Durrell though.

While we’re on the domestics, how interesting was it to see Vanessa’s desperate attempts of asserting her own independence and self sufficiency? Without Angelica’s help now she had to resort to a live in au pair more interested in feeding the homeless and auditioning for Survivor as well as her actual duties. Donna was irresponsible but well meaning and her short stint at the Diaz’s finally meant the return of Federico to the fold. Does this mean that her and Rico are now back together? If so, that doesn’t send out a positive message in the sense Vanessa would only get back together her estranged husband because she needs his support rather than actually wanting to give her marriage another try because she loves her husband. However if this isn’t the case then it’s an obvious build up to it.

And as build ups go, is anyone else getting a spooky feeling regarding Nate and Maggie? For the past three reviews I’ve been dithering on about there’s some sexual tension with these two and while I’m not willing to dismiss that theory, there also seems to be something else. These two definitely have some connection. When she found out what Ruth had done, Nate was the only person she called and he conveniently mentioned Brenda wasn’t around. Did he want her come over? And what are we supposed to make of this “you won’t lie to me” promise between them? Something is definitely on the horizon here and I can’t wait to see what it is.

Brenda on the other hand just got another heart to heart session with Jackie before the fabulous ladies night in the prep room as well as listening to Billy overanalysing the content of Claire’s emails. Still though, we did get a kick ass brooding session between both Nate and Billy where they discussed first loves and didn’t make me feel like Billy was off his rocker.

Meanwhile in improved of plots, Claire has finally gotten of her high horse and gotten herself a mundane as hell office job that once seen will easily draw comparisons to both The Office and Happy Time from Dead Like Me. She even has an irritating Gareth like co-worker who badly puns “yeah baby” and while her other new friends are off their heads; Claire has to deal with the trials of pantyhose in one truly memorable scene where Lauren Ambrose gets to strut her musical stuff. Needless to say she hates her new vocation and is miffed when her art grant gets rejected and Sarah muses over the possibility of her maybe not being an artist after all but this episode was Claire at her best all season, so kudos to that.

Also in “The Rainbows Of Her Reasons”

Death of the week: Fiona Lenore Kleinschmidt tripping down a hill and into a ravine. Her body looked surprisingly un-gory though.

A little continuity slip, Fiona bedded a 15 year old Nate when she was 32. Judging by her year of birth (1952) and Nate’s (1965), this would’ve been in 1980 when she was 28 instead. Is it sad I notice this as well?

Brenda (re Billy): “They should call it bipolar asshole disorder”.

Bettina: “So who gets to speak at the service about Fiona’s penchant for ushering young boys into manhood?”
    Sarah: “That was only once”.

A lot of good continuity in this episode as we got the hideous jumper Billy worn in the “Pilot” back, the old Fisher table, several parallels to Keith and his dad as well as the drill Ruth and George bought in “Twilight”.

Sarah (to Ruth/Bettina): “You say there’s a reason Grandma lost her legs? There’s a reason there’s war and tsunamis and there’s a reason George fucking Bush got re-elected? Shit goes wrong cos there’s evil in the world. I’m evil”.

Keith (to David): “Good times, that’s your answer to everything, little Miss Pollyanna”.

Claire: “Cos you ride up on my thighs. You’re tight on my ass. You climb up on my crotch. You ruin my day and you fill my soul, you fill my soul with so much pain”.

We got way too much political/feminism talk in this episode and surprisingly none of it from famous sex writer and guest star Susie Bright.

Chronology wise, still January 2005 but two weeks after “Eat A Peach”.

Nate (to Billy): “Love isn’t something you feel, it’s something you do”.

Ruth: “You look so corporate”
    Claire: “You look so not corporate”.

Glad HBO moved the series back to its Sunday slot but it’s a pity lacklustre ratings made them do it. It was a good idea the Monday night experiment, just the wrong show to do it with.

Bettina: “That’s it! We use the men for childcare, like they’ve done to us for a gazillion years”.

George (to Ruth): “I loved you, you loved me. It was a good ting. Now it’s changed, so consider yourself free”.

Standout music in this episode was too obvious. From Claire’s inspired musical number to the haunting versions of “Calling All Angels” from both the female cast and Jane Siberry, this episode flourished with killer music.

I’m dangerously beginning to sound like a broken record here, but six episodes in and Season Five is enormously emerging as the series’ best season ever. This was just in another long line of fantastic and breathlessly entertaining and enriching episodes we’ve had. This show continues on its defiant streak of delivering some of the most powerful and totally real drama and this is no exception.

• This was very good!

I just finished watching this episode and I have to say that I enjoyed it. The characters did not get on my nerves as much as it did last times (which not to say that I enjoyed it less, lets face these are the most annoying people in tv history)

So are Nate and Maggie going to hook up or what? What was all that don't ever lie to me stuff and him telling her that he was home alone. Didn't he learn his lesson the last time. Will he never be content to have just one woman in his life, who is more or less stable. I will say this for Brenda, she has most of her stuff together, much better than in the last couple of seasons. I'm just waiting to see when he cheats on her, because it is coming.

David and Keith are having some trouble with their new foster kids. I love how David is all attached and motherly :) And while I understand that it is frustrating to have kids who are not exactly perfectly behaved, but Keith needs a reality check. They came from a home with a father who abandoned them and a mother who is in jail for drugs and god knows what else. They have probably been in the system since birth, so it is not shocking that they acted out. And as a cop, he should have a least a little insight into this. I'm glad they got to keep them, although, I did not like that social worker blowing Keith off. She didn't stay long enough to see if she left those kids in that house, would they get abused. I know it happens all the time, but it still made me mad.

I loved Claire standing on her desk singing "You Ride Up My Thigh" And how many of us have thought the same thing. And I'm glad she and her mother made up.

But Ruth was just so wrong for what she did to George and to Maggie. I get it, it sucks that she is stuck with her crazy husband, but he was getting better and she did marry him for better or worse. You can't marry someone after knowing them for six weeks and expect them to be perfect or not to share information with you they normally would have if she had waited a little bit longer. I just feel so bad for him. And for Maggie, who gave up her life to help, but didn't expect to be doing it alone.

Frederico and his wife are the only ones left who are getting on my nerves. More to the point she is. I get it, it's hard to be a single mom and raise two kids, but come on. I know many, many women who have done it with out the nanny. I think she was right in leaving Rico and for the divorce. Now I'm all for them reconciling, but for better reasons then she just doesn't want to do it alone any more. Give me a break. It's not as if her kids are toddlers and need a lot of help. They are school age and can a lot of things, including chores, like getting there own bath. I'm just saying, it's just a shame that she took him back for those reasons.

I have one thing to say about Billy. Craaaazzzy! I can't wait to see where his story leads. The first season was awesome because of him!
  • Calling All Angels Fiona Lenore Kleinschmidt 1948-2005 Written by Jill Soloway Directed by Mary Harron

"It's so narcissistic, you know? I'm the asshole at the center of the universe, forgetting how vast the universe is, how nothing is in our control."--Aunt Sarah

Picture this: it's a beautiful morning in Topanga Canyon and you decide to go for a lovely hike. Your obviously lonely and want companionship so you drive to one of your accomplices in return you get her out of the house and continue on. You lead the way as your friend complains but gives her positives also, she is happy to be there but just during this brief sense of feeling good she rolls down a hill dead when she hits the bottom. You are Sarah and the dead woman who you called your friend is Fiona Lenore Kleinschmidt. How do you feel?

Knowing from this episode that Aunt Sarah was at first ecstatic to be there for Fiona in her final moments but later turns into at times drunk and vulnerable person. When we lose a friend it's often hard because they're not going to be there anymore. Just when looking at Fiona lying there on the embalming table I felt sad because she lived a life, a good life which often raised questions including with Ruth Fisher but truly a happy life. Like Brenda once said in "Timing and Space", "It's all about timing" and Fiona was called to the angels.

Ruth looked so beautiful in this episode with her hair down, she seemed happy for one thing she doesn't have George around anymore and the fact that she's around people that make her feel good and that's important.

David and Keith have become the foster parents of Durrell and Anthony and while David sings the praise songs about the two brothers, Keith has his qualms which is what is expected and ultimately turns into his father threatening violence while David tries to be maternal and buys the children things like a PS2, which then breaks and though replaceable you can't really equate love with hate which is what Keith shows to these kids.

Nate and Brenda have become the emotional support to Billy in his time of need. After the death of Fiona, Nate reminisces on his love life with Billy and Brenda spends some time with Fiona's friends which turned out excellent.

Other important events in "The Rainbow of Her Reasons"...
    *Claire got a job as a office assistant at a law firm. I enjoyed her little "You Ride Up My Thighs" number and loved that she and Ruth had reconciled. It was truly a very touching moment.
    *Susie Bright, a feminist sex writer guest stars as herself in this episode who gave clues away on her website that the deceased was related to the storyline. Her appearance was interesting.
    *After hiring a nanny who turned out to be a nutcase, Vanessa invites Rico back to their home. I would love to see how this turns out.

My only nitpick about this episode is that...Did anyone notice how bad the bad math is in this episode? If Nate was born in 1965 and Fiona was 32 when she deflowered him in 1980, wouldn't she be born in 1948 and not in '52. It's common sense.

I really loved ladies gathered around Fiona's body and then started singing "Calling All Angels" montage. Franny has a lovely voice.

I loved this episode so much I gave it a whopping 10! It was really fantastic to see Patricia Clarkson and Kathy Bates again. I do hope they come back for the finale episode. Kudos to Jill Soloway and Mary Harron for delivering a fantastic episode!
  • Entertaining (and somewhat typical) mid season episode.

Not too bad. I'll admit that my rant on "Time Flies" was partially undeserved; I was having a terrible morning (working in an office will do that to you) and decided to take it out on my favorite show. Honestly, in hindsight, "Time Flies" was probably one of the top five best episodes of "Six Feet Under," ever.

This one doesn't come close to the morbidly depressing perfection of that aforementioned episode, but it does helpfully move some various plot lines forward and finally finish ones that were beginning to get old.

Firstly, it appears George is officially gone. However, seeing that Maggie will probably pop up in the series at least a couple more times, I'm sure we'll get to see a few more glimpses of his now depressing alone-at-an-apartment life. I was sad to see him being left alone at that apartment like he was, but it had to happen sooner or later. Just be grateful he didn't end up dead first.

Claire has a JOB! A real, actual, horribly dull job. At an office. This, now this -- I can relate with this part. Like I said before, I work in a crappy office where you're required to act like you're happy all the time. I loved these scenes, and we got a great amount of humor (finally) with Claire's improvised singing over a Musak tune, about -- of course -- the cons of wearing tight panty hose. Even though I catch the dark verbal wit that occurs quite often throughout these recent episodes, my parents never do. And with this sequence, they finally laughed for what seemed like the third time this entire season.

Speaking of Claire, she's on friendly terms with Ruth again. Their kind interaction occurs when Ruth is caught trying to sneak out pot from Claire's room. They sure like smoking pot in this family, don't they? (Not to say it's overrated or anything, because I can assure you it's not.)

Nate and Brenda continue their subtle struggle through marriage. Nothing new there, except for maybe a moment when Billy and Nate have an agreement of sorts. Shock!

David and Keith deal with their newly adopted kids. Durell and his younger brother are more than a handful, and Keith loses his cool more than once. It's interesting to see how their parenting techniques clash.

Ruth's sister Sarah and Bettina make a somewhat unremarkable albeit nice appearance. Sarah nonchalantly tells Claire that, hey, maybe she's not really meant to be an artist. Which is probably true, although Claire unsurprisingly is offended (well, I'd be too).

Not much happened in this episode, save for George's rather harsh exit. Ruth's plan for setting him up before leaving him (with the apartment and all) is a rather good idea, even if I felt very bad for George.

One minor complaint: I expected the death this week to be of more importance, considering the hoopla on the 'net beforehand. No more reading "spoilers," I promise.

All in all, a rather average episode, but average for SFU is a billion times better than average for any other show.

Oh, and thank God it's on Sunday again!