Six Feet Under

The New Person

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 05, 2001 on HBO

• Getting Intense

Loved all of the connections in this episode with the story lines heating up and getting more dramatic! Angela was comedic but also important - her dialogue with Ruth at the end characterized the Fisher family quite well but subtlety. Curious about what happens with Brenda and her family as well. This season finale is shaping up to be a great one...
  • Claire starts to worry about Gabe while the Fishers hire a brand new embalmer.

The Fisher's hire a new embalmer in this episode, and I haven't seen a more annoying character on TV than Angela in awhile. Well, maybe that's an overstatement, but still... she was pretty darn irritating.

Just like the last episode, there was a ton going on here for each character, and while there was plenty of development and some great scenes, it feels like the last couple of weeks have been build-up to the final two episodes, as if we're going to get an emotional, insane finale that finds the characters unleashing their rage, fears, sadness and every other emotion under the sun on each other.

Michael C. Hall continues to play David Fisher perfectly. Just look at how far he's come since the pilot. David is still extremely secretive about being gay, but look at how open he is about it with himself. After meeting up with Keith and throwing himself on him, trying to get some "friends with benefits" action going on, he calls a sex line and talks with another man, pretending to be a 6 foot 2, 190 pound boxer. Hall seems to relish in these dark roles, and while I enjoy Dexter, seeing him as David is just as entertaining.

Meanwhile, Nate and Brenda's relationship remains as shaky as ever. Things get nasty again after Brenda's brother's gallery showing happens and Nate discovers that her brother secretly took a picture of him while he was peeing against the side of a wall. Now, his picture is up there for everybody to see and Nate is furious. Of course, Brenda defends her brother as usual, but it gets harder and harder to do so when we learn more about him. Turns out Billy is a little more nuts than we originally thought (or is he? Their parents seem to be nuts too, in a slightly different way)

As for Claire, she keeps trying to hang with Gabe but Gabe ends up disappearing off the face of the earth. This worries her, although Nate seems to think she has repressed feelings about her father's death. And also, we get a bizarre plot involving Ruth and Nikolai going on a date. I really am starting to get tired of Ruth's dating escapades. I love the idea of her moving on, but love triangles bore me most of the time. The best part with Ruth is when she learns that David is gay. It's a crushing moment, and Frances Conroy sells it perfectly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Season 1 comes to a close. There's a lot of stuff hanging up in the air right now for each family member, and it's only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down.

7.7
    Good episode all around of Six Feet Under, but I felt like the pacing was too slow this week. Most of the episode was devoted to plots that I really didn't care for. The highlight of the episode was the cliffhanger and of course Rico coming back to Fisher and Sons.

You really get the feeling that the season is coming to a close with all these story lines heating up, with Brenda and her brother, or Claire and Gabe, and Gabe possibly offing himself.

But the whole Billy thing has become so tired, hopefully Six Feet Under is getting ready for a huge pay off. Mrs. Fisher and her date with a guy was just not entertaining, and I felt as though she got way too much screen time.

The new person kind of fell short tonight. They could have done so much more with this story line, but they didn't. Overall, it was a solid installment though, this show remains consistently good.
  • Fantastic episode all around.

A lot of happened in this episode. Both on the drama and "comedy" front. My favourite storyline has to be the new "person", Angela, who replaced Rico - although only for 1 episode.

She was fired for breaking a glass. But the real reason she was fired for was that she literally made the Fishers realize their flaws. It was really fun to watch, especially David.

I like what the writers done to Brenda's character, she seems much more down to earth and much less annoying too.And now this major storyline for her and her brother is good. I didn't like them, and I still don't particularly do, but I don't feel anymore that they're just eating up precious screentime.

David's struggle for sex troughout the episode was both funny and a bit disturbing. His fantasies were really really lol-worthy, I've to say that.

The death of the episode... it was funny, but honestly, it wasn't even followed upon. But I didn't miss it as so much was going on.

The only thing I didn't like was Ruth.. .as usual. Her date with Nikolai was good, but mostly because Nikolai is a great character. However her conversation with Nikolai's "lover" in the bathroom was downright pathetic. Ruth is just way too weird. Way too weird. However her most likely realizing David's gay is something I hope will be followed upon in the next episode.

The ultimate cliffhanger - Gabe quite possibly commiting suicide - I kinda predicted it, but it was good nonetheless.

Overall, a great episode, this time more plot centered, which is a nice change.
  • Review

Angela was the perfect kind of person to bring in for an episode and then have her leave. Her line of "I have never worked in a funeral home that was this depressing" really hit home when you look and see what all of the Fishers are going through right now. No one is really happy, though you tend to lose sight of that in the big picture of things. Loved how she interacted with all of the members of the Fisher household before Nate went to get Rico back. Ruth now knows that David is gay which was one of the most blockbuster reveals in this show so far - the way she found out about it. Ruths storyline with Nikoli at the restaurant was a little dull, with Nikolis other woman coming in and surprising Ruth in the bathroom. Once again though, Ruth scenes fail to really have anything of merit to them, but that could just be my age and not being able to connect with her. Gabe going missing is interesting, but I wonder if the writers will get back to it now or wait until the finale to reveal what's going on with him. Nate and Brenda are having more fights then they were in the beginning of the series, but that is really growing there on screen relationship. Billy is a character that I didnt think I would ever like by carried his own in the couple of scenes that he was in with his parents. Solid episode overall, though the death at the beginning almost had no point whatsoever like it usually does.
  • Review

• Funny once again and i can tell the season is coming to a close.

Another great episdode. so far there hasn't been a bad episode in the season and it doesn't look there will be. Ruth going to diner with nikolai and that women calling her a b...h etc was very funny. Thought nikolai is quite creepy i think shes better with him them that other guy. The new girl - angela was a great things in this episode and she added lots of humour. Breandas brother continues to be strange and when her mother told her about the fire, i loved her reaction. The shocker of ruth finally being told of Davids sexality was unexpected and i can't wait to see how that goes. Its great that rico is coming back!! Can't wait for the last few episodes!!
  • Trouble Ahead Written by Bruce Eric Kaplan Directed by Kathy Bates

With his kind of unnoticed absence from last week's brilliant instalment, Nate and David decide that it's time to hire a replacement for Federico as one is needed at this point and the lucky winner is a sharp witted Angela - and boy does she know how to speak her mind or what? Unfortunately for her, her audacious attitude rubs everyone the wrong way as both Nate and David dislike her attempts of giving them dating and sex advice. In turn,this results in her being fired and Rico, tired of being underappreciated at Kroehner returning after a pay rise and some begging from Nate.

With Federico rehired, we finally learn as to whoset the fire in "The Foot" and it's Kroehner or being more specific Matt Gilardi who was responsible, the spineless bastard. While this won't exactly shock many it is finally nice to know the answer to that little question that's been dangling for half a season. I wonder if Nate and David plan to do anything about it.

Speaking of Dave, following his split with Kurt,he seems to taking a backward step regarding his sexuality as when Keith rebuffs his advances he ends up cruising for sex on the internet.

Oh come on David, you might as well come out. Both your siblings know and couldn't care less (mainly down to their lives being as complicated as yours),Father Jack knows as does Tracy Montrose Blair (she picked up the body language between David and Keith while helping them with voluntary work)and now thanks to Angela, so does Ruth, who actually does seem shocked.

While David inner turmoil is heart wrenching to watch, due to the above par writing on the series and Michael C. Hall's consistently brilliant performances it is getting to the stage of tedium. With three episodes left, hopefully he is outed soon.

Claire's involvement with Gabe also continues apace here when she learns more about his family history. Even more shocking despite seeing a better side to Gabe you just know Claire's in over her head on this one. Despite some truly brilliant scenes between Lauren Ambrose and Eric Balfour here, their story line does get sidelined for the meatier stuff involving Billy.

Also in "The New Person"

Death of the week: A boring Jonathan Arthur Hanley getting his head bashed by a frying pan by his long suffering wife.

David's musical number during his hoovering was great.

Noticing a few similarities just like with Claire's musical sequence, both this ep and "The Foot" were written by Bruce Eric Kaplan and Ruth interrupted both sequences.

Nikolai (re Nate):"Look that's your son pissing against a wall".

In the looks department of the episode Billy was mussed and shaven, Ruth looked great with curlier hair, Tracy's blonde hairdo was hideous while Bernard looked worn out than usual.

David:"I told Father Jack i'd help him with the food distribution down town. I just wanted to make sure your first day was going"
    Angela:"I'm a little gassy but that's not your fault".

Angela was like a tarted up version of Jamie Lee Curtis' character in My Girl but she was very fun to watch as were Nate's poor attempts of playing bad cop.

Andy:"Get lost Morticia"
    Claire:"Shut up, peanut testicle"

Nate (re Angela):"She's a little hard to take" David:"She's a lot hard to take".

Does Nikolai like Freddie Prinze Jnr flicks or is that what his former flame's daughter/friend subject to her now that Niki's got the hots for Ruthie?

Chronology wise it's May 2001.

David:"I don't wanna be friends. I wanna fuck". Keith:"Well, i'm not into that"
    David:"Can't we just have sex? It doesn't have to meant anything".

Angela:"Rough night stud?"
    David:"You're fired".

Standout music in this episode was most definitely Michael C. Hall's breathtaking music number "Got A Lot Of Living To Do".

Not only does writer Bruce Eric Kaplan's episodes all start with "the" but they've all featured wild musical numbers too. Not that i'm complaining mind.

If Gabe is heading for a destructive path then Billy is already on it. First of all we have him taking pictures of Nate peeing and displaying for all to see (David & Keith, Claire & Gabe,and Ruth & Nikolai all getting a chuckle out of it). Add that to trashing Feinberg's office, destroying the shrink's files on Brenda and Margaret's nasty little revelation that Billy once built a bomb (that's why he was hospitalised in the first place)and scribing extreme things about Brenda. This gives the whole an extra and rather, uncomfortable bite. Not as good as preceding episodes though but solid stuff nonetheless.
  • Where There's Smoke... There's FIre Jonathan Arthur Hanley 1946-2001 Written by Bruce Eric Kaplan Directed by Kathy Bates

"Pee on any walls lately?"--Claire

With Federico gone and David backed and still not that skilled at restoring those who had tragic and shocking demises. Like Nate puts it, "Your great when it comes to people who have had peaceful farewells". The Fishers then decide to hire a new embalmer, Angela (played by the fantastic Illeana Douglas).

The Fishers later find out that even though Angela is fantastic on embalming and fixing destroyed bodies, she is loud, nosey and outspoken. After a rather unflattering comment given to David from Angela they decide to fire her. The icing on the cake when she destroys a priceless goblet which was given to Ruth from her cousin Hannah while in Dresden.

Brenda's storyline is very crucial to the episode when this week she, Nate and Ruth attend Billy's art opening where a disturbing picture of Nate peeing on a wall is exposed. Nate then leads to ask Brenda has he ever done anything dangerous. Brenda then reveals the fact that Billy attempted suicide at age 15. Margaret then tells Brenda he actually set the house on fire while building a bomb.

Other important events in "The New Person"...
    *Death of the week: Short and sweet. The DGDJ complains of troubles at work and after cooking breakfast his wife beans him with the skillet. Talk about the guy being boring.
    *Claire warms up to Gabe but later finds out Gabe lied about his plans when he is going to see his "father" in Barstow. We'll find out Gabe's fate in next week's episode.
    *Ruth goes out on a date with Nikolai with Hiram in Portland. Nikolai is ecstatic and takes her to an energetic Russian restaurant where Ruth encounters his old girlfriend.
    *David still volunteering with the food distribution fantasizes about Keith and later shows up when Keith is there. They later share a bite to eat, but that's it.
    *By the end of the episode, Angela is fired and Rico is asked to return which he will gratefully accepts.

*Loved David's fantasy Got A Lotta Living sequence. It was very entertaining.

Overall a very well written and satisfying episode.

(FYI: Angela returns in the fifth season in Episode 54, Hold My Hand for a special episode.)