Six Feet Under

The New Person

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 05, 2001 on HBO

• Claire starts to worry about Gabe while the Fishers hire a brand new embalmer.

The Fisher's hire a new embalmer in this episode, and I haven't seen a more annoying character on TV than Angela in awhile. Well, maybe that's an overstatement, but still... she was pretty darn irritating.

Just like the last episode, there was a ton going on here for each character, and while there was plenty of development and some great scenes, it feels like the last couple of weeks have been build-up to the final two episodes, as if we're going to get an emotional, insane finale that finds the characters unleashing their rage, fears, sadness and every other emotion under the sun on each other.

Michael C. Hall continues to play David Fisher perfectly. Just look at how far he's come since the pilot. David is still extremely secretive about being gay, but look at how open he is about it with himself. After meeting up with Keith and throwing himself on him, trying to get some "friends with benefits" action going on, he calls a sex line and talks with another man, pretending to be a 6 foot 2, 190 pound boxer. Hall seems to relish in these dark roles, and while I enjoy Dexter, seeing him as David is just as entertaining.

Meanwhile, Nate and Brenda's relationship remains as shaky as ever. Things get nasty again after Brenda's brother's gallery showing happens and Nate discovers that her brother secretly took a picture of him while he was peeing against the side of a wall. Now, his picture is up there for everybody to see and Nate is furious. Of course, Brenda defends her brother as usual, but it gets harder and harder to do so when we learn more about him. Turns out Billy is a little more nuts than we originally thought (or is he? Their parents seem to be nuts too, in a slightly different way)

As for Claire, she keeps trying to hang with Gabe but Gabe ends up disappearing off the face of the earth. This worries her, although Nate seems to think she has repressed feelings about her father's death. And also, we get a bizarre plot involving Ruth and Nikolai going on a date. I really am starting to get tired of Ruth's dating escapades. I love the idea of her moving on, but love triangles bore me most of the time. The best part with Ruth is when she learns that David is gay. It's a crushing moment, and Frances Conroy sells it perfectly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Season 1 comes to a close. There's a lot of stuff hanging up in the air right now for each family member, and it's only a matter of time before it all comes crashing down.