Skins Forums

MTV - Music Television (ended 2011)

It will **** !

Nainwak

[1]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 1

Once again, Americans are copying british except...it won't work at all. Unlinke The Office, Uggly Betty or Dr Who, what makes the charms and core of Skins is that it's in the UK.

And because it's not broadcasted on TV, most of the teens already watch it on internet. And because the kind of person who watch Skins hates swagger jacking...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ShutUpJonny

[2]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 12
    Yeah, I'm American and I think it's an awful idea.

fr4nny-oz

[3]Apr 20, 2010

I'm not going to knock it before I try it but I love the British Skins and I think US Skins could either fail miserably or if they go about it the right way it could be ok.

mlauzon

[4]Apr 24, 2010
    • level: 8
    You do know out of the 3 shows you listed, only Ugly Betty is original and is not a remake of a British show.

jorge_ab

[5]May 7, 2010

Actually, Ugly Betty is a copy of a Colombian soap opera named "Betty la Fea" which translate Ugly Betty (yep, not even the name is original)

Mrs-JM

[6]Jun 5, 2010
    • level: 3

This is such a dumb idea. Skins is such an amazing show and I don't think they can make an American version without ruining everything that is good about it.

niko0202

[7]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 2

Too tight, Its gonna really suck. BAD. Your right the charm is that its in Britan with British kids not in America with Fat American kids eating Mcdonalds!

pglory

[8]Aug 17, 2010
    • level: 4
    Is it really necessary to be so damn arrogant about this? We cannot actually judge whether the show will be good or not until we've seen a few episodes. Yes, Skins has been a great show, but the American version may end up being a better show.

Look at The Office. Yes, the British version is possibly the best show ever written, however, the American version isn't far off. It has managed to be an independently funny show. I don't get the English sometimes.

alicefairy

[9]Aug 31, 2010
    • level: 10

Yeah, and what *really* upsets me the most is that they're going to copy the characters from series 1/2. It's like, at least come up with your own crappy American characters, don't ruin characters that I love! I think I'm going to cry when American Cassie comes about ;_;

BenHL

[10]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 14

'Don't hate before you've seen it', is what I'll say.

foubi21

[11]Sep 19, 2010

Being American I can definitely say that it should not be called skins. Not saying it won't be good without watching it first but definitely won't be the same. It may have come close if it was to come out on Showtime or HBO like when Queer as Folk came over. Anyway even season 3&4 didn't even compare to 1&2. Chris and Cassie will always be my favorite characters.

JeffRusbacky

[12]Oct 24, 2010

The brittish allow so much more raw language, drug usage and nudity on TV. The american version will not work because it needs these elements to tell the story truthfully. It this will be on HBO or Showtime, then maybe.

vgplaya89

[13]Nov 7, 2010
    • level: 15
    At first I thought this was the worst idea ever, but I'll wait and see how it goes.

Moopsx9

[16]Jan 7, 2011

monet_renee wrote:

JeffRusbacky couldn't had said it much better! Skins is based on student between the ages of 15 to 18 who have the option of freedom (getting a job) or continuing on with education. The US do not have this option because they're still obligated to finish high school up until the age of 18. Also the legal age of consented sex and smoking in England is 16... in America it's 18 and still is very much frowned on by parents! Even though our parents can censor or viewing on particular shows, they also know that they were once this age and probably did far worse things- remember the 60s??

Skins is sexual and pushes boundaries and it shows kids exploring drugs, sexuality and identity in a British manner. Although the US adolescent does explore all these issues, however, they are known to exploring them during their College years (18+ and after high school).

American show are AMAZING because we are seeing American culture within the shows, we don't mimic them because it's not OUR culture. Can you see us re making The Wire??? Honestly! So in all fairness, Americans shouldn't try to mimic OUR British culture/society. They're doing this to Shameless as well (now that's just crazy)!!!

I think what you said all supports the idea of making an American version of skins. They're simply adapting the stories to fit American culture and that certainly does include underage partying. "Skins is sexual and pushes boundaries and it shows kids exploring drugs, sexuality and identity in a British manner" So basically it will involve those aspects of the original show, just in an American manner. I don't think this is an example of America trying to steal British culture in the least bit; many US kids under eighteen do smoke cigarettes, smoke pot, drink, have sex, and do all sorts of other drugs and they're certainly not trying to emulate any foreign culture. 90210, gossip girl, and shows like those don't show how life is for most American teens so it would be nice to have something less glamorous and more truthful.

Just my thoughts though, lets give the show a chance

GearoidDuffy

[18]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 2

its just got the same story as the uk skins, so i think it will suck really bad. i mean anyone who has seen the uk version will not be interested in the us because they already no the story and everything that is going to happen.

spikemaniac

[19]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 50
    I agree with all of this. ^
    One of the greatest things about Skins is that it has so much English culture. It's part of why the dialogue is so great. Gah.

Also, does it annoy anyone else that on TV.com now the original Skins is "Skins (UK)" where as this new Skins gets to be called just "Skins"? In my opinion, the original show should get the keep the name without any add-ons, and the American one should be "Skins (USA)". TV.com... I am disappoint.

skyvolt2000

[20]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 27

I am watching now and it feels liek I'm watching a censored version of the original.

Why didn't they just do like they did with Steptoe & Son, Till Death Us Do Partand Man About the House? Just take the idea of it and not copy scene by scene like they are doing now.

And for those who are wondering what are the American versions of Steptoe & Son, Till Deathand Man About the House are. We know them better as Sanford & Son, All in the Family & 3's Company.