Skins (UK) Forums

Thursday 10:00 PM on E4Between Seasons

Season 4 Finale - Everyone Discussion

What are your thoughts on the finale?

parallax207

[1]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 15

So season 4 just wrapped up... What are your thoughts on episode, the season and the cast?

IIIIII'M COOK!!! I loved that.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mr_Nin

[2]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 3

My thoughts were and still are "What the hell kind of ending was that?!". It seems to me that the writers have increasingly stuck themselves in a hole as this season has gone on to the point where they didn't have the time left or any idea of how to end things properly, and that's the end result. We don't get an ending. It left me incredibly annoyed.

kieran3486

[3]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 11
    I completely agree. Killing off Freddie was nothing more than a cynical ploy to get people watching the finale, and it didn't pay off in anyway for the viewer. We get some closure with Naomi and Emily and some (pretty unrealistic) closure from Tomas and Panda. But I didn't care about that because I wanted to know what was going to happen with Freddie. Basically we're just told that he's dead, and Cook has attacked that Foster bloke. We're not told the outcome of this, we don't what will happen to Effy when she finds out. Its just rubbish. They tried to make it seem like it was an artistic thing, but you can see that they just didn't have any idea of how to end the series.

I didn't like it when they left things open with Sid and Cassie, but I could accept it because you always felt like there was a fair chance of them finding each other. You could more or less predict what might happen either way. But this just felt like the writers were giving me the finger. They've totally lost their touch and there's no way I'm watching the next series now.

exterminator25

[4]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 27
    What a horrible ending. All that build up and it went out on a whimper, not a bang like the voiceover chick said over and over again.

I reckon'd if Effy found out Freddies dead cause of her, she'd probably commit suicide, or try and get saved by Cook, rekindling things between them.

Speaking of Cook, loved his final scene (I'M COOK!) but i wish we could've seen how his story ended. I bet he would go to jail either way, so he would kill John Foster.

We saw John Foster keep Freddies bloodied clothes folded and bagged up, wonder what he did with the body.

There was potential for Freddies sister in this episode, yet it was wasted on Naomi's problems.

parallax207

[5]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 15
    So I just rewatched the finale and I had an epiphany. Since the new cast was announced at the end of the 2nd season and we knew that Effy was going to be the lead character. It definitely felt that way in the 3rd season. But the more i think about it and the finale sets it up, I think the lead character of the 3rd and 4th seasons is Cook. I understand the frustration with the way the show ended so abruptly. The ending can be interpreted in two ways depending on the viewer. We can think Cook will kill John for killing Freddie or he'll die trying. Either way Cook understands there's nothing left for him; alive he goes to jail and dead is dead, so why not face it as you are.

I'm interested to see if Karen is going to be a part of the new cast, it seems like that was the plan with the amount of screen time she got. If that's the case, then maybe we'll get the resolution we need (it may not be the one we want though.)

Mr_Nin

[6]Mar 19, 2010

Here's the thing, if they try to resolve it next year they'll totally undermine the sudden end to Series 4 because at that point you have to provide an answer.

If the answer is Cook killed Foster then we've missed out the entire fallout from what happens next which would be really significant for Karen.

If Foster killed Cook... well I don't know where to start with that one, you've got to address what happened to Foster, Effy, 2 students being missing and you've got address that 1 year after the event without all but one character.

Now if they don't try and resolve anything it'll be incredibly strange because you've either got 2 student deaths or 1 student death and 1 murder. You can't pretend it wouldn't be referred to. What I suspect will happen is that next season will be set in a entirely different college with a totally new cast.

Doggo1988

[7]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 8
    I'll pass judgment when I watch it again, but I think it was good up until the last 3 minutes. Although the whole season was a little silly to say the least.

leesha_27

[8]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 17
    I liked it. I liked Naomi's scenes, I liked that Naomi/Emily worked it out and I liked that Cook was the one to find out. What I wasn't too happy about was that it was right at the end where Cook finds out. I wanted it to be a main part of the ep, that Cook would be trying to find out what happened to Freddie.

Overall though, I was pleased. Season 4 wasn't brilliant anyway so I wasn't expecting the finale to be like "WOW." It was just good.

SartaqKhan

[9]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 7
    parallax207 wrote:
    So I just rewatched the finale and I had an epiphany. Since the new cast was announced at the end of the 2nd season and we knew that Effy was going to be the lead character. It definitely felt that way in the 3rd season. But the more i think about it and the finale sets it up, I think the lead character of the 3rd and 4th seasons is Cook. I understand the frustration with the way the show ended so abruptly. The ending can be interpreted in two ways depending on the viewer. We can think Cook will kill John for killing Freddie or he'll die trying. Either way Cook understands there's nothing left for him; alive he goes to jail and dead is dead, so why not face it as you are.

I'm interested to see if Karen is going to be a part of the new cast, it seems like that was the plan with the amount of screen time she got. If that's the case, then maybe we'll get the resolution we need (it may not be the one we want though.)

I thought Karen was Freddie's older sister. Honestly, I hope they take a fresh approach to the next season and use a different writing team. Didn't Thomas have a younger sister?

youngmeph

[10]Mar 20, 2010
    I'm pretty sure karen was younger than freddie and thomas's little sister is far too young to be int he next series, I think she's the same age as katie and emily's little brother

youngmeph

[11]Mar 20, 2010

Not really a finale.

OK first of all freddie did not need to to die, all his death did was give karen a chance to make an appearance and to have cook go out fighting. Both of these things could have been achieved with freddie still alive. It's sad when a main characters murder becomes a subplot.

Secondly not enough closure. Fair enough emily and naomi got back together (though it was kind of corny when naomi revealed that she'd been in love with emily for years) and panda and thomas had a new future together (which again was just too crony for my tastes) But what about Effy, JJ and Cook? Yeah JJ's got a girlfriend but is he staying where he is or going to university? And just what the heck is Effy going to do? With the previous cast we didn't know exactly what happened to them but we knew where they were headed (Sid trying to find Cassie, Maxxie and Anwar headed off too london, michelle and tony going to different colleges and Jal settling down.) These little endings showed that the gang was moving on and would not be in the next series, with this gang half of them could still show up in the next series.

Finally I think the episode was ok it had some alright dialogue and some good jokes (I thought panda's song was great) but I expected much much better for a series finale.

leesha_27

[12]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 17
    ok, but...season 4 finale better than season 3 finale? my answer is yes!

WavesOfJoy

[13]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 12

youngmeph wrote:

Not really a finale.

OK first of all freddie did not need to to die, all his death did was give karen a chance to make an appearance and to have cook go out fighting. Both of these things could have been achieved with freddie still alive. It's sad when a main characters murder becomes a subplot.

Secondly not enough closure. Fair enough emily and naomi got back together (though it was kind of corny when naomi revealed that she'd been in love with emily for years) and panda and thomas had a new future together (which again was just too crony for my tastes) But what about Effy, JJ and Cook? Yeah JJ's got a girlfriend but is he staying where he is or going to university? And just what the heck is Effy going to do? With the previous cast we didn't know exactly what happened to them but we knew where they were headed (Sid trying to find Cassie, Maxxie and Anwar headed off too london, michelle and tony going to different colleges and Jal settling down.) These little endings showed that the gang was moving on and would not be in the next series, with this gang half of them could still show up in the next series.

Finally I think the episode was ok it had some alright dialogue and some good jokes (I thought panda's song was great) but I expected much much better for a series finale.

I agree...the finale wasn't what i hoped it would be...I thought the episode would surround Cook and Karen trying to find Freddie with closure for the other characters...like what's happening with Katie? Is she gonna get a job?

Is Karen older or younger than Freddie? She always seemed older to me...and if she is..maybe she'll be part of the college staff in some way...and if she is younger then she'll be going to that college...we'll see

matt_oc

[14]Mar 20, 2010
    • level: 11

Ok where do i begin? First of all im sure no one from this cast will go on to the next one. Effy was one of the mains from the first seasons, she had an episode every season. so it wont be Karen or any other sibiling. i dont think it'll be cook cuz his live is so attached to everyone else itd be as if nothings changed and it would be stupid. i think and hope the cast is entirely different.

Ok now... onto the season finale. i must say this season started out soo amazingly and i even called it the best season of skins. the first episode was meh. and i really forgot about it. thomas was not my favourite character at all. now... from emily's episode, to cooks (sooo good), then to katies (greatest episode), then to freddie's (beautiful)... that part.. was brilliant. then came JJ's... meh again. then effys (......... crazy) now the finale.

i thought the finale wasn't really a finale. it was more like naomi's and panda's lost episodes put into one. i liked the naomi stuff. the panda stuff was ok. but what about JJ and katie? are they not important? and Effy! come on! she's been there forever and she was like 14 seconds on the last episode. lame writing. and the final scene... oh my god! i didnt know where to hide i was so embarrase of that. anyways... i will still miss the cast. i will look forward to whatever those actors do next cuz they were incredible. but i hope so hard the newcast is entirely new and bring fresh stories and some comedy and love.

ps: i love skins no matter what so i'll keep watching it

exterminator25

[15]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 27
    leesha_27 wrote:
    ok, but...season 4 finale better than season 3 finale? my answer is yes!

Are you joking?

S4 finale = didn't tie up loose plot threads, didn't tie up Freddie's death and give him a proper send off like Cook got, ended the worst way possible

S3 finale = gave a new depth into Cooks character, had the "three musketeers" make up and become friends again, got effy & freddie together, got the funny granny race, had cooks dad get his commupance

I find you wrong

VampireKaden

[16]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 2
    That was the worst ending i've seen in my whole life.. Honestly .. endings are suppose to answer you questions not create even more .. that's stupid.. honeslty

SartaqKhan

[17]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 7
    youngmeph wrote:
    I'm pretty sure karen was younger than freddie and thomas's little sister is far too young to be int he next series, I think she's the same age as katie and emily's little brother

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/2254004/Skins-Karen-gets-racy-on-TV.html

"The fame-hungry elder sister of shy Freddie (Luke Pasqualino) is ecstatic when she reaches the final of a TV search to find the next member of racy girl group Da Sexxbombz and tries to up her chances of gaining the place by giving the panel a concocted sob story."

She is older then Freddie.

Doggo1988

[18]Mar 22, 2010
    I don't see the point of complaining about the ambiguous ending because that's what Skins will ALWAYS be like. The point they are trying to make is that these people are 17-18 years old, and there is no such thing as closure for them. They still have many years left in their lives so there is no point in giving 'closure'.

claire0788

[19]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 12
    The writers basically made a total mess of season 3 and 4. They could have done so much more with the characters and their stories.

Season 3 finale, bad.

Season 4 finale, what a joke.

They killed off Freddie as a cheap ploy, like others have said, for shock value and to get people to watch the last episode. No real story arc for the fans. They messed up and now Id like to forget these 2 seasons and hope season 5 and if they get a season 6, is MUCH MUCH better.

Doggo1988

[20]Mar 23, 2010
    I think it's going a little too far to say the second generation was bad. The characters were still compelling and I felt empathy for them. The problem was that the writers put them in far-fetched or non-compelling situations.