Skins (UK) Forums

Thursday 10:00 PM on E4Between Seasons

Sugar Rush compared to Skins

Serevinus

[1]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 14
    If you have seen Sugar Rush, how would you compare it to skins?
    The plots are quite different, but I think that some of the humour and the way it is shot is similar, I know most people are comparing it to Shameless, but I havent seen that yet so I can't comment.

Forgive the grammar, been drinking ;-)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Angelus120

[2]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 5
    i wouldn't compare it to shameless really. even though its got the same creative team, suger rush is probably a more accurate comparison. love both shows, but kinda stopped watchin the last series of SR. got a bit too silly. its probably a bit more 'hand-held' in terms of shots than skins, but character wise, dialogue and soundtrack are simillar. also the fact they use a relatively random town, instead of just basing it in london. who the hell would think of basing a show in bristol?

JasonQuigley

[3]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 13
    I haven't seen Sugar Rush, but I wouldn't really compare it to Shameless either. although Shameless and Skins are my two all time favourite shows, they really are not that alike.
    Shameless is about the ups and downs of a family and their neighbours, whereas Skins is about the ups and downs of a group of friends and their teachers. Skins is much more fast paced aswell.

Adicted_87

[4]Mar 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    Sugar Rush was good yeh but although it did do well i think skins will come off the better show.

shawnlunn2002

[5]Mar 4, 2007
    • level: 41
    Skins will come off a maybe a more successful show.

Look at the excess promotion it's been given despite being on E4. Sugar Rush is on Channel 4 with next episode on E4 but it didn't get half the promo.

Skins also has a solid 10pm timeslot, SR gets 10:50pm which isn't very ratings friendly.

I'll wait til Season 1 of Skins is over to compare it to Sugar Rush completely but honestly I find both shows equally enjoyable.

Adicted_87

[6]Mar 4, 2007
    Are there any plans to bring sugar rush back? didn't catch the end of the second series?

Serevinus

[7]Mar 4, 2007
    I dont know if they are going to show them again on TV, both seasons are out on DVD though. I believe there is a third season planned as well.

Adicted_87

[8]Mar 5, 2007
    what happened at the end of the second series?

Shana868

[9]Mar 5, 2007
    • level: 40
    I guess that the fact that both shows are aimed at a channel 4 (E4 is close enough) trendy modern teenage audience automatically leads to similarities.

Serevinus

[10]Mar 5, 2007
    Spoiler for Sugar Rush season 2

Cant remember the details, but at the end of season 2 Saint and Kim get back together and Kim finaly decided to move in with her. Sugars flat burns down, and just before the end of the episode, she asks Kim and Saint if she can move in with them... to which we wont know the answer until next season.
    Gonna have to watch it again now
    Edited on 03/05/2007 12:16pm

shawnlunn2002

[11]Mar 6, 2007
    Season 3 of SR is expected in the summer.

Kev3331

[12]Mar 8, 2007
    • level: 9
    Sugar Rush is superior in my opinion, far better acting and more effortless, it's edgy without trying too hard. Skins really wants you to beleive that its hardcore it comes off a little desperate with its drugs and parties and different races, religons and sexual orientations. Both are great and I watch them compulsively but I think what Skins tries to be Sugar Rush just is... 

tonik2255

[13]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 31
    you cant really compare two shows like sugar rush and skins because in my opinion they are two totally different shows. sugar rush just focus on being gay in Brighton where skins focus on every aspect of the regular teenagers life so to me tere is no comparison

naive_amoeba

[14]Mar 9, 2007
    • level: 5
    Sugar Rush was so boring I felt like drilling into my skull to aleviate the horrible pain surging through my body. Skins isn't bad.

Shana868

[15]Mar 11, 2007
    • level: 40
    Kev3331 wrote:
    Sugar Rush is superior in my opinion, far better acting and more effortless, it's edgy without trying too hard. Skins really wants you to beleive that its hardcore it comes off a little desperate with its drugs and parties and different races, religons and sexual orientations. Both are great and I watch them compulsively but I think what Skins tries to be Sugar Rush just is... 

Well it is set in a normal school in Southern England. They tend to be pretty full of different races, religions and sexual orientations these days, you know. I thought that Maxxie/Anwar episode was an obvious attempt of exploring 'minorities' but other than that, I hardly think it's unrealistic for a large group of friends to include one gay lad and one Muslim boy. On my calculator, that equals one homosexual, one Asian Muslim and one black character. Hardly 'trying too hard' IMO.

shawnlunn2002

[16]Mar 13, 2007
    I'm actually watching Sugar Rush again on DVD and although I enjoy it massively, I think Skins is a stronger show.

Kev3331

[17]Apr 10, 2007
    • level: 9

Shana868 wrote:
    Kev3331 wrote:
    Well it is set in a normal school in Southern England. They tend to be pretty full of different races, religions and sexual orientations these days, you know. I thought that Maxxie/Anwar episode was an obvious attempt of exploring 'minorities' but other than that, I hardly think it's unrealistic for a large group of friends to include one gay lad and one Muslim boy. On my calculator, that equals one homosexual, one Asian Muslim and one black character. Hardly 'trying too hard' IMO.

Fair enough, I'm not from Southern England so I wouldn't know, but living Dublin with a gay friend and classmates of different nationalities I do agree that it's very common for a group of friends to contain a variety of people but we certainly don't tackle cliché, perfunctory issues because of it. Even the summary "Watch as eleven Bristolian teens struggle with highly-charged issues of race, religion, sexuality, drugs, and food disorders." acknowledges how made-for-today's-teens this show is.

shawnlunn2002

[18]Apr 13, 2007
    True which is part of the reason why I enjoy it.