Skins (UK)

Katie And Emily

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Mar 19, 2009 on E4

• Emily <3

Emily and Katie deal with their problems in a less than a lady like manner. The Fitch family are hostile to Naomi, while Katie tries to save her reputation and "de-gay" Emily, by going to the love ball with J.J and Freddie.

This leads to disastrous results when Naomi shows up, and Katie attacks her, only to then get attacked by Emily. Emily then tells Katie, she's not her, she's a person, and she loves Naomi. Katie finally accepts her sister's desires sparking love in Pandora and Thomas's hearts.

It's alot lighter than the previous episodes. It's interesting seeing those two extremely close sisters dealing with obviously sensitive issues. It's never easy to watch if you've been in similar situations, but Skins makes it so humerous at some points. This show has perfect the art of comic relief.

One thing I didn't like was how cheap and empty the Love Ball looked. We've seen how many students their school has. Couldn't they have atleast gotten a bigger hall or something? And with the abcense of party man Cooke and It girl Effie, it felt a little empty. Nonetheless it was entertaining.

Another good episode.
  • The Twins episode doesn't disappoint, Emily stands out as one of the best characters of the season. Brilliant.

I've been looking forward to this episode since we first saw the twins back in the premier - it really didn't disappoint. Emily has been one of the best characters in season three and things didn't change here. I love how she does stand up to people and doesn't take crap. She's interesting and seems like a generally nice girl. Then we have Katie...who has Emily puts it, is just a b*tch. Does she get this from her mother? I think so after the mums controlling conversation with Naomi. The mother came across as someone who favoured Katie and really couldn't accept Emily. The dad however was alright but slightly annoying too. Little brother James was funny at times.

The episode stood out because we were watching the relationship of these two girls and we finally saw a bit of bonding. From the 'twin language' to their dislike of their brother it was great to see this side to the sisters. But the arguments between the pair really stood out, very real and well written. The opening scene was done really well despite it being obvious (for me anyway) that it was Emily.

Naomi gives into temptation again and they end up running off. This scene was really powerful with Emily storming off telling Naomi that 'they were still holding hands through a cat flap' nice to see it mentioned but really well acted by both too. Then comes the sweet Thomas who is so good to Emily...really good scene with a bond between them.

Then came Emily coming out to her family...which was sadly a bit of a joke. Poor Emily watched on as Katie tried to say it was a lie and her dad laughed thinking it was a well played joke. Her mother looked concerned which made me dislike her even more. Once again it was done really well and it just engrossed you.

The shopping scene was fun, loved Pandora's appearance. Her comments about 'Go girls' and 'not surfing and turfing boys' were as usual, really funny and well delivered. JJ and Emily are great as friends but she was very snappish with him here...enjoyable still. Freddie says he's sorry again...and gives Katie the next step in her plan to ruin the Naomi/Emily relationship.

Katie proved she is no doubt self-centred and controlling with her remark about Emily having to ask her permission, what a cow. Loved the scene when Naomi walked out of class, but then Katie goes and ruins it all. Poor Naomi...liked the 'why are you so mean?' comment from her. JJ panicking about the ball was funny.

The ball itself was brilliant. Pandora and Doug dancing was an episode highlight, hilarious but sweet too with Thomas watching. Loved when Naomi arrived...her comments to all of them were great but felt sad for her and Emily. The two fights were long overdue especially the last one. Wish Naomi hit her a bit harder.

Emily finally cracks here and attacks her sister. All I can say is, go Emily! Katie deserved every bit of what got (including Effys self defence, which it obviously was) and it was about time someone put her in her place. The final scene was a fitting end with Emily telling g Katie that she's her own person and that she loves Naomi. Did the evil twin get the message? It seemed so but you can't be sure.

Adding to the episode was two happy endings we've all been waiting for. Panda and Thomas make up in a sweet scene and Emily and Naomi leave the ball together...Naomi admits she loves her too. Loved this ending.

I admit I missed Effy in this episode, she is a powerful character for the show. I did NOT miss Cook. My only concern is that of the finale...this seemed a bit like a conclusion for Naomi/Emily, Pandora/Thomas...which I think would be a mistake. I just hoper next week doesn't turn into another out of character Cook episode - that would just put a bad note on a season that's been just as enjoyable as the first two.

So this was an excellent episode, I just hope the finale lives up to the rest of the season. Please include everyone and don't shove Cook down our throats...sorry if theres two of this review...
  • What-an-episode! Easily the best this season

Wow. I still prefer Tony, Sid and Co but the new skins cast is putting up a great fight! They go from strength to strength with each episode and now the characters have all been sufficiently developed, i think they could give the original cast a run for their money in the second series. I personally can't wait after this episode!

It was just a perfect episode of skins. No "forced" humour this time around (a common feature this season). Everything was in context, rather than over the top, and i think that made it all the more funnier. The twins family is bloody hilarious and yet fairly realistic. It definately helped that Emily & Katie are sisters in real life as their on-screen chemistry was superb.

I found Pandora & Thomas absolutely adorable here too. And the fact that the episode was so good even without much screen time for characters such as herself, Cook and Effy just shows how much potential there is for next season.

What can i say, i was gripped from the first scene! Brilliant stuff

Dear god, I'm simply overwhelmed by this 3rd season of Skins. I wasn't expecting much since I got really attached to the previous cast but damn is this season freakin' cool or what?

This episode was more like a love story (finally a more or less happy ending) between Emily and Naomi, with of course Katie playing a big role in the middle.

I just love the twins father, he makes one hell of a comedy relief during the episode, his scene with Freddie and J.J. when they arrive at the twins place is so cool, especially his evil smile :)

Emily, I love seing her evolve, I thought she would never make a stand for herself, either with her sister as well with Naomi, and this episode made her do it with both of them. It was simply beautiful, so very well writen, so awesome.

I have no words, I'm really excited for the series finale next week, if it's half of what I think it will be, then it will be awesome.

Well I don't know what to write more, I have so many emotions running through me about the episode, but it's rather hard to explain them in mere words.

Once again, a beautiful work of art by the authors of skins, congratulations and thank you so much for this beautiful serie.
  • What A Difference A Party Makes Written by Malcolm Campbell And Bryan Elsley Directed by Charles Martin

With a bit of tweaking (and maybe an extra ten minutes), the episode probably could've been the finale. It certainly felt like one.

I'm a twin myself but a lot of the stuff Katie and Emily go through I can't really relate. Mainly because I have a twin sister and from an early age we both always had our own individual identities and mostly did things separately.

Katie's feeling pretty humiliated from the way things went down with Effy and Freddie and I can understand why. I don't entirely feel that bad for her because she was victimless in the whole situation.

The girls' parents and little brother were pretty interesting. I'm glad that the mother actually believed Emily when she was coming out and the brother certainly believed. Loved Rob, the father threatening to hunt down JJ and Freddie if the girls virginity didn't remain intact.

Emily and Naomi's relationship has been the real driving force of the season and I bet the writers are more than aware of it really. It's more focused on that Thomas/Pandora or the Katie/Freddie/Effy/Cook quadrangle and obviously all the better.

It's good that we got a turning point in this episode. Emily got fed up with Naomi wanting to keep things private and had a brilliant conversation with Thomas at the bus stop.

Katie herself even made the error of sticking her nose into Emily's love life by using the JJ thing against Naomi. Now Katie can dissapprove of Emily's choices in partners, whether it's JJ or Naomi but it's none of her business at the end of the day. I loved watching Emily remind Katie that she was stupid enough to get involved with Freddie, who was seriously boring in this episode.

Naomi's conversation with Mrs Fitch would've been a good moment to tell her that she was in love with Emily but she held back. The ball scene certainly was another highlight of the episode. Katie, Emily and Naomi all got their moments to shine and while there was a part of me that did feel for Katie, it was high she realised that Emily was a person in her own right. Too bad it took a very public occassion for the point to be drilled home.

I didn't actually miss Effy and Cook in this episode, despite the relentless mentions of the former but Freddie and JJ were underused here. Arguably so were Thomas and Pandora and while their reunion seemed rushed, I thought it was sweet.

Now that Emily and Naomi are a couple, what will happen next? I don't expect smooth sailing but I'd prefer not Sid/Cassie dysfunctions in Season 4 either.

Music wise, I really loved Andre Herman Dune's version of "Smalltown Boy" during the bus stop scene with Emily and Thomas.
  • Probably the best episode this of the entire Skins series.

This episode finally gives Emily the episode she has needed to give her the status of best Skins character to date. Not only is Kathryn Prescott a truly amazing actress, she has grabbed the character of Emily by the horns, and has set the bar extremely high for the rest of the characters to try and keep up to. Emily has easily stole the limelight from her sister - both on screen and off. Meanwhile it takes till the last five minutes of the episode for the audience to feel sorry for Katie, which again shows some extremly good acting on Megan Prescotts behalf. Overall Emily & Katie are, in my opinion, the two best characters of the second generation, easily overthrowing Effy & Cook.

• The perfect evolution of Emily

Before the actual review, I have to say that I think the actress who plays Pandora is a comedic genius. Watching her dance with the teacher was hilarious. Plus the character of Panda has turned so masterfully from a silly clown into totally awesome. I'd really love an episode where JJ and Pandora spend a day together. I think they'd be great.

I admit that I was wary of the twin storyline. Have I seen it before? Maybe. One twin the dominant one. I've known twins like that, but I didn't expect Emily to fully evolve by the end of this episode. But when she held that punch and then pulled Katie up and told her that what's-what, it was such a well-earned moment. From that first episode where we see Katie hogging the bathroom all the way till now, this was the first time we really SEE Emily, and it was magnificent. Katie is still a little less developed, but her insecurities are really starting to show. The only thing I'm still upset about is that Effy is taking all the flak for hitting Katie, when Katie was really the instigator. Effy was tripping hard and Katie assaulted her. I probably would have hit her with a rock too. I hope that comes out in the finale, because while I feel bad for Katie, I don't think Effy deserves all the blame.

Over all, my second favorite of the season, topped only by the JJ eppy. And the handling of the gay storyline was really classy.