Skins (UK)

Thursday 10:00 PM on E4 Premiered Jan 25, 2007 Between Seasons

aldaros23

Skins (UK) Fan Reviews (73)

• I'm surprised that the actors didn't age significantly during filming through the constant depressing characters that they had to portray!

Although 'Skins' drew on teenage stereotypes, drug taking, rebelling against work and parents and tackled everyday issues such as teenage pregnancy, sexuality, dysfunctional families and mental disorders I believe the fourth series pushed these to the extreme and it became slightly unrealistic and made for a depressing watch.

The characters had already been fully established in the third series and one gets the feeling that the writers were pulling at strings for the fourth, knowing that they had reached the end of the line. Effy Stonem, known for being quiet and offering statements such as "Sometimes I think I was born backwards...I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love, I hate, and the people I hate..." deteriorates into psychotic depression. She attempts suicide, rather ironically is manipulated by her psychiatrist, and loses the man she finally admitted to loving. The story line is farfetched and one is left questioning why it all had to end on such a downer?

There was not one point at which I wanted to laugh, compared to the first and second series where Chris and Anwar were constant humour inducers. The first two series and possibly the third managed to keep you counting down the days till the next episode but this wasn't the case for the fourth series which became tedious to watch and almost an effort to tune into.
  • SOULLESS GARBAGE

Skins used to be a favorite of mine, season 1 & 2 were written masterpieces - beautifully produced and stunningly performed. The plots followed interesting characters whose stories were playfully yet intricately tied together, combining moments of hilarity, seriousness and tragedy within the framework of a context which seemed to emulate so much of what it means and feels like to be young. Skins 1 & 2 entertained and amused within the realms of believability. Whilst some of the weird and wonderful things they did were extraordinary, they were close to the reality of the post gen Y experience. Now, what has become of my beloved skins? Where is the heart? The substance that accompanied the style has abruptly departed and all we were left with was a rioting school of ridiculous misfit kids, rooting and smoking their way through a mildly entertaining existence. Random hook ups on the first day of school
    Getting involved with organised crime
    Quid-pro-quo sex for a cavanger hunt
    Chilli eating competitions
    Rioting high school students

WFT!? What were the writers doing in the break? Sorting coke? I was hoping to find that the old writing team had been replaced so at least this could be attributed to a slack new team of naive writers who have no connection to this world of young ppl. But alas, its THE SAME PPL.

It seems that success has bred the worst sort of laziness in the skins writing team. Now (and if this continues) skins is destined to join the ranks of 90210, Dawsons the OC and GG, more of the same SOULESS GARBAGE.

This show is truely not worth watching past the second season.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
  • I cant beleave that after killing off Chris they have to go and murder Freddie.. Its so sad and messed up and pothetic when it comes to a writer to do it.

All writer on this show are wanting to get all Weadon on us and kill people off all the time. Its crazy. I cant beleave that after killing off Chris they have to go and murder Freddie.. Its so sad and messed up and pothetic when it comes to a writer to do it. For an english show were they feel like 8 episodes is a season. Thats just crazy pantts. If this was a show in america some one wouldnt get offed that fast. You could so take season 1-4 and have it be one whole american season it would be good but as soon as you could say to yourself .. Hum i like that persoin they die or they change so much you dont know who they are.
  • Season 1 was the best!Season 2 was OK.

Well I dodged the show because I thought it was just a show about teenagers taking E's but it's not.This show is much more the characters are amazing!Cassie,Michelle,Maxxie and Tony are the best.Series one was amazing the storylines and relationships were all funny and dramatic. Maxxie is my overall fave he is soo cute too bad he's gay haha.The first series was amazing and made the show one of my all time faves up there with Veronica Mars,Gilmore Girls and The O.C.But when I bought season 2 and started to watch O was really dissapointed all the storylines where so weird from slow Tony to Maxxie's mum abusing stalker!The season reeled me back in in the last few episodes.I'm looking foward to season 3 I love Effy so it will be great to see more of her.
  • The first two seasons were great. The third was terrible.

The first two seasons had great characters, humour, irony and were great. But they decided to get rid of almost all the characters and start again. Then they lost it. The new characters are just exaggerated stereotypes. It is almost impossible to like them. The plots are violent and predictable. The acting level is a lot worst. The humour is gone. The way they talk about certain things is just awful. In the first two seasons, for example, gay sexuality was shown in a real way, with no prejudice. In the third season being gay is portrayed as being the worst thing in the world. The series just lost everything good it had, it's not the same series.
  • Tony is the leader of the group of Sid,Cassie,Chris,Maxxie,Jal,Anwar and of course is beatiful girlfriend Michelle. Abigail a rich girl from a very High medicated. Cassie we can see she is in love with Sid but Sid fall for Michelle.

Now,we got Maxxie who is pretty disconnected from every thing exept is Tap dancing and the reason he is a gay.
    Chris trying to get his psychology teacher, Angie.
    Tony who is the leader of the group is a Philosophy-reading and a manipulating .
    At school they trying to give them best.
    They get into a lot of trouble and all the pepole around them are pretty insane, The lost 84 Pounds of weed they sould have sell at the rich girl party and this will coast them trouble to next epsoides,
    Hope the show gets a lot of rating couse its a great show!!
  • Its teen life in a show, drugs partying etc etc. Though this show takes it too a new and exciting step.

Skins is a show which is aimed at the younger audience of teens and young adults which basically goes through the lives of a gang of 16-18 year olds through their years at college but wait these kids aren't just 'normal' teens they are super bad and have got the whole sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll thing down pretty good. The 1st two series focused on Tony and his friends and how they developed through college till leaving for uni or wherever, the 2nd series got a bit weird and I was slighty mad at the ending but the new series I believe is looking way better than the original which I never thought it would. The shows 3rd series now focuses on Effy (Tony's lil' sis) as she is going through college with her new found gang of teen rebels. So the stories can be a bit far fetched, like having sex in school, drinking and setting things alight.... well not THAT unbelievable to be honest and it is great through out. Each episode usually focuses on one particular character or a couple depending on what crazy situation the boys and girls are in, in the episodes. One of the great things about this show is the music soundtracks are great, there are loads of classic indie tunes and hits constanly playing and well each character offers something different and original to the show. We have the wild and loud Cookie, the sensible brotherly Freddy, the geeky and eccentric JJ and Pandora, I could go on but there are a few of them. Its a good show and if you like a bit of swearing and crazy TV watching then Skins should keep you well entertained.
  • 'Skins' is the most compelling TV Drama I've watched in the last year (maybe more).

Skins is by far the best TV show i've watched in the last year. That said, I have to justify myself: It's not 100% original (after all, the 'suffering' of teenagers while reaching puberty was shown in a lot of shows), but it has sparkle - characters (like Cassey and Sid) that really makes you remember all your faults as a teenager (even though they might not involve drugs, senseless partying, etc.), and the show is always on the move - always new things happenning - and every chapter brings new reason to want to watch more 'Skins'. With great characters (and good actors), top-of-the-line writing and great camera work (most of the time) - this is a show that will (hopefully) do great!
  • What!?

I think what serial is boring and not true.

I live in the Russia, and want say what....

Me angered 6 series 1 season, because Russia does not look like

how in serial!!! Russia is a beautiful country. And capital of Russia Moscow is wonderful.

Cold in Russia only in the winter, and Russian women are not like that!

Appearance is quite different, they are much more beautiful than that in the series altogether inaccessible! Much more beautiful Englishwomen. And what is the name? Anka ()? No! Maybe ()? Anya - Anna! Make fun of such powerful nation, the British funny, and Russian shame, because you lied, showed only lies. Then another thought why so aggressive Russian to English.

Deserved.
  • skins good, but what a f'ing pity party

Skins was good the drama was alright at first then waiting for something good to actually come through or work out for one of the characters was nice to see here and there. But I feel writers either go for a family like everything will be ok in the end story or in the case of skins everything is pretty much shit and you feel unresolved by each story line. I'm just saying where's the fine line can't there be good and bad, not just all ending awkwardly n terrible? I mean the show was good for the most part, I just noticed myself, that I stopped paying as much attention cuz I knew the outcomes already, just a bit predictable. The last thing is that I mean come on how many more overly dramatic parts can u make? Yes children are dramatic but after a point you gotta learn something or quit being so damn fucking sad for yourself. Only you make your own problems in life for the most part, I just wish there was a little more positivity to the story line, not so much of the helpless children vibe.
  • A lot of Skins

I Like Skins, I really do. The colourful characters, the interesting storylines, the great music, and the developpment each of these characters get is impressive. But I can't stop thinking that if the writers focused more on directing the drama and the characters than the surreal-type comedic situations, borderlining on sitcom, then this show would be great. But this show isn't great, it's just good. And worth a watch.
  • Really cool, but it can do better.

So, let's start with the characters - there's Tony, the swave, intelligent, street smart ladies' man, but uses his powers of manipulation over others as a way to make life less boring and to thrill seek, which, leaves him isolated from others because his friends are basically tired of it. Then we have Sid - Tony's best friend - who's the typical character that everyone 'loves', but in a 'friend' type of way... mainly because he's not necessarily good looking, he's always being taken advantage of by his friends (mainly Tony), and his life is basically a mess. However, he's a typical lovable character because of these reasons and Tony would be at a loss without him, despite Tony covering this up by treating Sid with little respect. They're the two main characters which make the series.

Sid has an admirer - Cassie, who's an emotionally unstable anorexic - but he's too obsessed with Tony's girlfriend, Michelle, to notice her, which leads Cassie to go into depression. Cassie's character is peculiar and eccentric, but she's also an intelligent girl who's very likable and you really feel for her and her depression over Sid.

We then have Michelle - Tony's girlfriend - who's an attractive girl who's fed up of Tony's manipulating, tiring ways and is constantly on an uneven slope with Tony. The other characters are a homosexual who appears to have emotions for his friend, Anwar (a Muslim), but Anwar, because of his religion, feels like he can't be friends with him anymore because he's a Muslim. This in itself combats the stress of religions on teenagers that just want to live. There's also Chris, the sex-mad mess who is madly in love with his sexy psychology teacher, and she is with him but feels restrict to show emotion to him because she's his teacher.

I could go on, but that's just scraping the surface of this surprisingly deep programme. It's deep, thrilling, exciting, and each episode follows the individual life of every character and their relationships with the friends around them, and visa versa.

The one thing I will criticise - not the programme but the reviews - is that many says 'it's portraying the average life of A-level students', but it isn't, as I'm an A-level student and none of them are as interesting and as exciting as these characters. So no, it's not portraying 'average' teenagers, but it is dealing with some profound issues that teenagers face.

Watch this show, you'll be happy you did.
  • Reminds me of American show "Life as We Know It" with a lot more sex, drugs, swearing and nudity.

Really enjoying it so far, reminds me of the American show "Life As We Know It" but with a lot more drugs and the ability to swear as much as they like. Though unlike LAWKI, I hope this doesn't get canceled.
    Originally thought they were going to tell it all from the one perspective but I am really happy they aren't because I think they have created some really good characters.
    The only surreal parts of the show is the fact that such a diverse group of people can be such good friends. Though its a great way of representing what type of person is in the community.
    Anyways, lets hope we see at least a season out of it.
  • Uplifting & Depressing at the same time

Honestly a great show. I do however sometimes wish I'd just stopped at the end of season 2. That seemed to end on a good note. Yes it was open ended but the viewer could assume it was quite likely that it ended good for everyone and a good place to end. Things said by some characters in series 4 tells us it wasn't like that for everyone. The 2nd gen (series 4-5) characters drew me in but then the ending seemed so rushed and ultimately left me confused. Psycho Psychologist, Murder, Hypnosis, Ghost voices, Character gaining personality which leaves us wanting more and then no sign of her, everyone getting back together as tho the previous episodes didn't even happen. and then next season starting with no explanation for what happened before it. We later find out in the last ever 2 episodes what happened(don't want to give spoilers here) . Third generation of people, (season 5 and 6) I really felt no connection to and without them ever existing, the whole thing still works.

In conclusion, It would have been a better show if it was series 1-4 then straight to 7 or just series 1 and 2 (yes i wanted more after but wish it had been left like that). Would have preferred some kind of integration of more of gen 1 characters in the last series but it works as a whole. sad ending but worked as some sort of closure for me.
  • could be improved but still a good show.

Befor the series began i expected great things from it and i have to say that i was a bit disapointed. I exspected a hard hitting real life drama about the life of british teenages. and thats what i got sort of. the show was how do you say a little over the top. but still its a great show. there were in amungst some mediocre episodes there were some great ones and i am also ashomed to say that i did cry during most of them but hey keep that to yourself. this show is a real dimond in the ruf and with a little work culd be outstanding.
  • a channel 4 comedy based around the lives of teenagers.

A thoroughly funny comedy. Something for all the family to have a giggle at. Skins also touches upon subjects such as eating disorders, drugs and emotional abuse which is fitting amongst teenagers (the target audience). well done channel 4! I hope that they will bring another series, I'm quite sure they will.. as long as it is still repeated on E4 as I can't be missing my weekly fix of ITV's Benidorm.
  • Well written, well acted, well filmed well what more do you want?!

This show is absolutely amazing, and I would say that this show along with the new BBC show 'Robin Hood' are the two greatest British shows to start this century.

What I liked about it was the interplay between writing and acting, the young actors were good at getting you to care about the characters that they play. especially people like sid and cassie, and even Tony, we hated him at some point but felt sorry for him at other points.
    To be honest I just can't wait for seaon two to begin in the UK, and Id be interested to see how the first ine does in the US...
  • Worth watching if you're into teen dramas

The great thing about this show is that unlike The O.C. the plot was far more realistic, although at times a little extreme. The characters were far easier to relate to as well as their situations and I found that although it referred to very serious issues in a serious way the show itself didn't take itself too seriously.
    What I loved about the characters was the fact that they were all loveable and yet they all had their faults, so they felt more human than characters inother teen dramas. For example Tony was a horrible person, but at the same time I felt I was able to empathise with him, unlike the stereotypical bad guys found in most other shows.
    The finale was incredible and completely unpredictable, I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat for the whole hour, and I'm still surprised by what happens everytime I watch it. I can't wait for season 2.
  • Pretty dam good

There is very little not to like about this show. I would have given it a 10 except for the fact it dosne't nessecerily paint teenagers in a good light. In it, every single 16-18 year old smokes spliff constantly and drinks like there is no tommorrow. Not true guys!
    Rant over. This show is fantastic anyway. The charactors are lovable and believable, especially Sid, Chris and JJ. Series 1 was the best for me. Series 3 was not the jumping of the shark that could be expected from changing all your cast. It still worked and it was a brave yet good decision to introduce new people. This format could go on for many years and I hope it does.
    There is nothing this show is too scared to do and thats what I like about it. Ultimately touching, hillarious and at times rather disturbing. Very good!
  • A show following Bristol teenagers in their final two years of school.

Skins is a brilliant show. There are many teen dramas made across different subjects and incorporating many themes but none seem to pull it off as convincingly as Skins. Skins is one of the few shows to use appropriately aged actors. It 'discovers' its actors by holding auditions at schools and hiring mainly totally inexperienced and unproven actors. It works remarkably well. All characters seem 'real' and they really take on the roles. The format of an episode per character allows development into single characters while still maintaining a plot. The characters may seem a little over the top to many. This is because of the heavy drug use, and how many of them seem to go 'off the rails' quite often. Every two seasons Skins plans to totally change cast, while maintaining a few links to the old one. This was done with season three with the linking factor being Effy, and to a small extent, Pandora. Before watching the third season I thought that it would totally destroy the series, but I feel that they did rather well and I am looking forward to what they do for the fourth series. The characters in the third season to seem less real, and less relatable, but still are good viewing. It is hard not to draw correlations between some of the first and second generation characters, such as the early Chris to Cook, Michelle to Katie. Still, with further development of the second generation characters they may distance themselves from their predecessors. Overall a solid series well worth the time.
  • A show about teenagers doing illegal things and dealing with many issues way beyond their years, but more than that it's a show about the characters and the problems they face in their first few years of college.

This show, after two seasons, has proven to be one of the best teenage dramas out of both the US or UK, in a very long time. While its premise is controversial and the content is sometimes a little too much, the characters in this drama really shine through and deliver some really powerful moments between the insane and the funny moments the group continuously gets themselves into. The first season started off as a lighthearted comedy, but as the show progressed it became so much more. It has transformed into a very dark teenage drama - dealing with issues such as pregnancy, heartbreak, and even death - while still maintaining a quirky and zany charm providing a contrast to some of the show's darkest moments. The characters can still be related to, while still being completely over-the-top and hilarious at times. The third season has just proved that this teenage drama can reinvent itself again by producing an entirely new cast and an entirely new gang who get themselves into many new funny sometimes incredibly touching situations. The jokes sometimes fall flat, and the drama is sometimes a little too hard to handle at times, but the combination of comedy, drama and character moments is often the perfect mixture.
  • Most original teen drama

Forget Dawson's Creek, The O.C., Gossip Girl and similar, because Skins is everything but the classic teen drama we are used to. First of all is set in Bristol, UK: different habits, different world, (I would even say different language, because is definetely not american), same teenagers problems ever. But the way these guys' problems and issues are presented is original for sure. It's maybe another generation now, not the same that sighted in front of the troubled Dawson and Joey's relationship, or the same that stood for Brian fighting against the rich guys. It's the generation of the extreme parties, drugs, sex without limits. Is it truly like this? We don't really know, but this show fascinates the young people. It's real and direct, express the deep and confused feelings of teenagers by narrating their normal life: they're not too sentimental or spoiled, they're not talking hours using youth psicology or driving expensive cars under the californian sun, they're just like everyone else, down to earth I would dare. And this is the goal of the show: simple guys dealing with everyday life. Friendships and relationships are the center of each episode, and dispite all the difficulties they have and the not properly happy scenario, the final message, the one that we get, is the importance and the strenght of being together.
  • If you haven't heard of this show you must watch it. It's refreshing, funny and it is finally a show about what the youngsters go through during aodlescence.

I was looking for a show which was at the same time funny and serious. I must say i didn't think of turning to British Tv at the first time but after some research, it seemed like this show had something special. So I watched the first episode and it was sooo good! I'm really not a big fan of all these Tv shows who depict the lives of some teens who have problems most adolescents will never have but Skins is different. Once more, the British show they can make good real tv shows. You immediatly fall in love with this group of teens who have real problems and real concerns about their lives. It's refreshing to see that they talk about sexuality and drug and all these problems that some tv show prefer to keep under cover because it's not really politically correct to show what our teens think about. The group is a real melting pot as you can find different personalities but also different origins and religions, it's really refreshing and I'm quite sure most teens who have watched this show recognize themselves through the group. So if you want to spend a good time watching Tv (and for those who want to know what their children think about) you must really watch Skins!
  • Skins chronicles the lives of a group of Tony, Sid, and friends, a group teenagers in Britsol.

Skins is an excellent show. It has fantastic characters, there is the beautiful but insecure Michelle, the slightly insane but completely lovely Cassie, the mysterious Effy, the driven and sarcastic Jal, the adorable but sexually inexperienced Sid, the charming but arrogant Tony, pill popping Chris, hilarious "Muslim Kid" Anwar, and the beautiful Maxxie. Unlike most teen shows, it can deal with issues such as sexuality, religon, and eating disorders without patronizing kids. It also has a great comedic side and has alot of light moments as well. Overall I think this show has a perfect blend of comedy and drama, with excellent acting and writing. There is no other show like this out there, and it is not only for teenagers, so if you haven't seen it yet, check it out! :)
  • SIMPLY MIND-BLOWING. There is nothing else like it (or at least that can compete with the show.) It's truthfullness mixed with an intriguing storyline and fabulous characters creates heart whispers.

It is humour, racing along a long track of misfortunate (and odd) events and teenage angst in a bottle.
    The characters are amazing;
    - Sid's ill-luck & ability to always get into deep trouble, together with loyalty, forgivness & sweetness.
    - Cassie, who's quirkiness reminds me of Luna Lovegood, I am wishing her the best of luck with all her problems, because she deserves it, as the good person she is (I am still hoping that Sid's going to save her.)
    - Tony, who is terrific, unbelievably scary & psychotic, improvising and going along with every situation, and of him, I am not sure of how he will turn out, although I know there's something good and unspoilt in him, I know it.
    I can go on forever, But I won't. Let's just say that the characters are the greatness and I am longing for season 2.
  • I loved season 1-4 ...

I must really say, I fell in love with this show. The endings of an episode are always frankly and you just have to watch the next one. The episodes never get boring. Especially because there are more main characters, and so there are more stories. So there's at least one story, which you would like and so keep on watching it. For me, in season 1-2 it was "Cassie Ainsworth" played by Hannah Murray. Such a cute person (:

But I fell in deep love with season 3-4. It's very dramatic and the things that happen are nowadays almost average.. but still dramatic

And especially the lesbian relationship between "Emily Fitch" and "Naomi Campbell" made me stuck to these 2 seasons. Lily Loveless (Naomi) is such a great actress. She really made it look real with these little smiles. And she's too pretty :D

But almost everything looked so real, it could've been REAL Reality TV.

I wish they continue season 3+4 one day.. it's too sad it's over. It became my favourite drama show.

And season 5 sucked bad... I even stopped watching at the 3rd episode, because it bored the crap out of me...
  • British humor at it's best!

Warning: Contains spoilers.

Well, I have to say that British humor isn't that hard to get. I was able to follow that show within the first episode or the first two episodes, and it is hilarious. The show is wonderful, and exciting. It is honestly probably the best teen drama show I have ever seen, and I hope to have DVDs coming to the USA.

Although, the reason the show isn't a 10/10 is because these are not how teens actually act. Well, not all of them. Also, the show isn't really the best in the world but it is a great show. I recommend this show for teens, and I hope you start watching, soon!
  • Awesome

This Show is awesome you don't get many quality British T.V Drama shows like this!

Skins revolves around the lives of a group of 16–18 year-old friends who live in Bristol. The group includes a popular boy (Tony), his Ex girlfriend (Michelle), a geek (Sid), a Muslim boy (Anwar), a gay character (Maxxie), a girl with eating disorder (Cassie), an intelligent and privileged girl with family problems (Jal), and a party animal (Chris). These characters attend a Sixth Form College in Bristol. Each episode has a self-contained theme focusing on each different character respectively, but there are several story arcs that span of different episodes.
  • Perhaps the best british teen show ever...

Skins is completely awesome. It stars actual teenagers (as opposed to 30 year olds), has a great writing, a wicked indie soundtrack and is just perfect. It's original and shows teenagers as they actually are (well not all of them..) and isn't afraid to be out there. The charachters are complete genius, my personal fave being Sid, and each episode lets you into their sometimes unusual or empty heads. A rare teen show that has the humour as well as the dramatic bits which is no great surprise as it's from the makers of Shameless (another great british show which also introduced the world to James McAvoy...sigh.) I can't wait for season 2 and have already nicked the skind dvd off my brother.
  • GREAT SITCOM

I absolutely love this show!!!!! After being completely hooked on Generation 1, it was very disappointing to find out the characters were replaced in Season 3, but I decided to give it a chance and I did not regret it.

Although I live in the . and my crowd in high school a lot more different than the crowd in the show, I can honestly say it depicts a side of youth American television hardly does. Like yes, your sixteen year old has probably done drugs and is sexually active (I'm not saying all sixteen year olds but you get the point).

It is realistic, and relatable, with very well developed characters and amazing, touching story lines. For example Thomas's, Sid's, JJ's (I still haven't wached Generation 3 and I refuse to because I am way too attached to the first two). I was touched at one point by all of the characters. It shows that life isn't always perfect and we all go through some sort of crisis at one point, and we aren't alone. Although I think Generation 2 could've ended on a lighter note. But other than that amazing show! Highly recommend it.
< 1 2 3