Skins (UK)

Thursday 10:00 PM on E4 Premiered Jan 25, 2007 Between Seasons

aldaros23

Skins (UK) Fan Reviews (69)

• A lot of Skins

I Like Skins, I really do. The colourful characters, the interesting storylines, the great music, and the developpment each of these characters get is impressive. But I can't stop thinking that if the writers focused more on directing the drama and the characters than the surreal-type comedic situations, borderlining on sitcom, then this show would be great. But this show isn't great, it's just good. And worth a watch.
  • Most amazing british show (watched 2 seasons in a day)

I never thought a show could be so amazing. Season 1-2 was great! All the characters that were on the show in season 1-2 (first generation) are huge movies and shows. I'm currently on season 3-4 I wasn't happy at first that the characters changed but I kept watching because Effy was in generation 1 and I fell in love with her character so I kept watching. I wish they kept going with the show and made people from generation 1 carry on. Currently hooked though.
  • skins good, but what a f'ing pity party

Skins was good the drama was alright at first then waiting for something good to actually come through or work out for one of the characters was nice to see here and there. But I feel writers either go for a family like everything will be ok in the end story or in the case of skins everything is pretty much shit and you feel unresolved by each story line. I'm just saying where's the fine line can't there be good and bad, not just all ending awkwardly n terrible? I mean the show was good for the most part, I just noticed myself, that I stopped paying as much attention cuz I knew the outcomes already, just a bit predictable. The last thing is that I mean come on how many more overly dramatic parts can u make? Yes children are dramatic but after a point you gotta learn something or quit being so damn fucking sad for yourself. Only you make your own problems in life for the most part, I just wish there was a little more positivity to the story line, not so much of the helpless children vibe.
  • Katie Fucking Fitch

Katie was the best one in the whole Skins!
  • Finally an amazing show not afraid to portray real world and to dive in to character development, versus strictly plot!

This show is amazing in that is portrays some of the best and worst points in life for anyone. We see life get increasingly worse, we see these characters get in some major shit, but they pull through. They have an amazingly tight knit group of friends around them, whether they can always see it or not.

Many people, at least in the disapprove of this show because there is too much explicit sex and swearing, and the show apparently "promotes drugs and hardcore partying" (which I would have to admit is it is essential that these details are part of the story. The characters would never be so real if they were not so gritty. I saw the first episode of the US version and absolutely hated it, because swears were bleeped out which ruined all emotions running through the show, and the clothes were of higher quality and not so real; they were too caught up to the times, while the UK version gave every boy and girl a different look that comfortably fit their character. In the US version they tried to make everyone look good (which is ironic because none of the characters were attractive while in UK Skins they all are). I hated the American version, although I probably will watch a few more episodes to be able to more fairly judge. Back to UK!:

The first season was absolutely amazing, great highlights even though there was a dark sense to it, the second season was a little less enjoyable, probably because we had to watch their lives unravel worse than before and not always see them rebound. This, however, is a fact of life.. The third season, I was admittedly really upset at the sight of a new cast at first but they grew on me within an episode or two and I still name them my favorite (although it is very close!!). The fourth season, I again found their lives spiraling out of control with no help. This made the show so real, not some dumb show without substance. The fifth season took more adjusting. The new characters were much stranger, whereas the other two generations had been much similar, this series had more diversity. This is the one generation where the second of the two series was better, and where their lives appeared to patch up at the end.

Have enjoyed every moment of the show, can't wait to see old characters reunite in the seventh season!!

The character development is truly the best part of this show, and anyone analyzing it for the plot has got it wrong. It is not all about telling a story, because no one person has this much bad stuff happen to them and yes, not every teen does all these drugs. The writers said this in an interview! the plot is there to address many issues, to dive deep in character emotions and heartfelt, real characters.
  • awesome show

This show leaves me wanting to watch more after every episode. One of the few shows that have an emotional pull on me with almost every character. I live in the US and even though it "portrays life as a teen in the UK", I can relate to it in many ways. The writers are great at taking a "holy shit, how am I gonna get myself out of this rut" moment, just when you think all crap hit the fan, and turn it around in a way that leaves you wanting to keep watching episode after episode. The 1st and 3rd season were excellent, the 2nd had it good moments, all in all incredible show that highlights on teen issues and situations we can all learn from. Love it.
  • Skins

Not sure about how realistic this show actually is, but it paints a refreshing portrait of youth as opposed to the same old teen character types we see on American tv. Definitely more racy then the avg American show but I think it gives it an interesting edge.
  • brit it simple and soooo entertaining

frigging hilarious some reason brit shows seem better than cgi laced,sex themed,guns blazing american shows. Shows like skins, hunted and luther seem like a slow burner but are sooooo good.
  • I loved season 1-4 ...

I must really say, I fell in love with this show. The endings of an episode are always frankly and you just have to watch the next one. The episodes never get boring. Especially because there are more main characters, and so there are more stories. So there's at least one story, which you would like and so keep on watching it. For me, in season 1-2 it was "Cassie Ainsworth" played by Hannah Murray. Such a cute person (:

But I fell in deep love with season 3-4. It's very dramatic and the things that happen are nowadays almost average.. but still dramatic

And especially the lesbian relationship between "Emily Fitch" and "Naomi Campbell" made me stuck to these 2 seasons. Lily Loveless (Naomi) is such a great actress. She really made it look real with these little smiles. And she's too pretty :D

But almost everything looked so real, it could've been REAL Reality TV.

I wish they continue season 3+4 one day.. it's too sad it's over. It became my favourite drama show.

And season 5 sucked bad... I even stopped watching at the 3rd episode, because it bored the crap out of me...
  • Season 1 was the best!Season 2 was OK.

Well I dodged the show because I thought it was just a show about teenagers taking E's but it's not.This show is much more the characters are amazing!Cassie,Michelle,Maxxie and Tony are the best.Series one was amazing the storylines and relationships were all funny and dramatic. Maxxie is my overall fave he is soo cute too bad he's gay haha.The first series was amazing and made the show one of my all time faves up there with Veronica Mars,Gilmore Girls and The O.C.But when I bought season 2 and started to watch O was really dissapointed all the storylines where so weird from slow Tony to Maxxie's mum abusing stalker!The season reeled me back in in the last few episodes.I'm looking foward to season 3 I love Effy so it will be great to see more of her.
  • A great show about teens finding who they are as people through events in the show. Things change and they change.

A great show about teens finding who they are as people through events in the show. Things change and they change. The first two seasons were spectacular. They had incredible characters, plotpoints and really set up the show for what it has become today. A phenomenon. The third season was able to pull this off brilliantly. The themes shown in the plot that many teens can relate too really carried the show and helped it gain its success. The last season has been the worst though. It feels as though the writers had just struggled to find plotpoints for their already developed characters and had thus led the show nowhere. The final wasn't revealing at all to say the least and has no good way of helping itself. If they go onto a whole new cast, this *Mystery* will go unsolved and that will leave many fans saddened and confused, while if they go to another series with the same cast, they will again struggle to find plot points and lose their fan base. The writers really need to pick up the ball with the next season.
  • A great show with some very memorable teenage characters/actors. And easily the best British show that exists.

Skins is a drama about teens who go out, party, drink, smoke, do drugs and have very depressing and poor upbringings. Each episode of a season is based on 1 specific character after another. This method similar to lost's flashbacks is very effective and is very entertaining as well! These great stories the teens go through are uncanny. Something that many teen dramas could learn from is that the show changes the cast every two seasons. Finally! Two many shows have the first two seasons of the teens at high school and then just go to college after. This never works and the show go's downhill at the third season. In skins they change the cast every two seasons so we get the same classic thing.

However, the show does have some flaws. Season 1,2 and 3 were great but season 4 was quite a disappointment. The end of season 4 wasn't exactly a conclusion and showed that the writers didn't no how to end it properly, although there is a film adaptation coming out, which is a good sign.

Overall, this show is probably my second favourite teen drama ever after Veronica Mars and has had some incredible actors. The new cast is coming soon and it sounds pretty good. I would recommend this show to anyone in general for its brilliance.

Overall: Season 1 - 9.3/10 Season 2 - 9.4/10 Season 3 - 9.1/10 Season 4 - 7.9/10

Favourite/ best - actors/characters: Season 1/2: Tony Stonem - Nicholas Hoult
    Chris Miles - Joe Dempsie
    Cassie Ainsworth - Hannah Murray

Best characters/actors: season 3/4:

Emily Fitch - Kathryn Prescott
    Effy Stonem - Kaya Scodelario
    James Cook - Jack O'Connell.
  • The first two seasons were great. The third was terrible.

The first two seasons had great characters, humour, irony and were great. But they decided to get rid of almost all the characters and start again. Then they lost it. The new characters are just exaggerated stereotypes. It is almost impossible to like them. The plots are violent and predictable. The acting level is a lot worst. The humour is gone. The way they talk about certain things is just awful. In the first two seasons, for example, gay sexuality was shown in a real way, with no prejudice. In the third season being gay is portrayed as being the worst thing in the world. The series just lost everything good it had, it's not the same series.
  • I cant beleave that after killing off Chris they have to go and murder Freddie.. Its so sad and messed up and pothetic when it comes to a writer to do it.

All writer on this show are wanting to get all Weadon on us and kill people off all the time. Its crazy. I cant beleave that after killing off Chris they have to go and murder Freddie.. Its so sad and messed up and pothetic when it comes to a writer to do it. For an english show were they feel like 8 episodes is a season. Thats just crazy pantts. If this was a show in america some one wouldnt get offed that fast. You could so take season 1-4 and have it be one whole american season it would be good but as soon as you could say to yourself .. Hum i like that persoin they die or they change so much you dont know who they are.
  • I'm surprised that the actors didn't age significantly during filming through the constant depressing characters that they had to portray!

Although 'Skins' drew on teenage stereotypes, drug taking, rebelling against work and parents and tackled everyday issues such as teenage pregnancy, sexuality, dysfunctional families and mental disorders I believe the fourth series pushed these to the extreme and it became slightly unrealistic and made for a depressing watch.

The characters had already been fully established in the third series and one gets the feeling that the writers were pulling at strings for the fourth, knowing that they had reached the end of the line. Effy Stonem, known for being quiet and offering statements such as "Sometimes I think I was born backwards...I hear words go past me backwards. The people I should love, I hate, and the people I hate..." deteriorates into psychotic depression. She attempts suicide, rather ironically is manipulated by her psychiatrist, and loses the man she finally admitted to loving. The story line is farfetched and one is left questioning why it all had to end on such a downer?

There was not one point at which I wanted to laugh, compared to the first and second series where Chris and Anwar were constant humour inducers. The first two series and possibly the third managed to keep you counting down the days till the next episode but this wasn't the case for the fourth series which became tedious to watch and almost an effort to tune into.
  • Skins is a comedic teen drama that uses a real life issues with larger than life situations, a touch of absurdism, and some very well-written dialogue.

I have only seen the first 2 series of this show, but I frequently brag to people that Skins is possibly the most well-written program on television. Some of the lines are virtually poetic, and the show utilizes some very interesting character dynamic.
    In series 1, the laughs are much stronger, and in series 2, the drama is stronger. I prefer the overwhelming comic style where the characters spit out words that make you want to fall out of your seat laughing. It's a great way to use British awkward situational comedy for teens,

And that is one of the biggest things about SKINS, which I adore. It can show teens as they really act (on some levels unseen in American programs), for example...teens swear, do drugs, and have sex. But in American TV, they are always used as an example, or they are trying to send a cheesy and cliche message to America's youth. Skins shows angsty teens that are simply living their lives, but facing with issues that are larger than their maturity levels. This is a show that is funny, yet often serious, and I absolutely recommend it.
  • The 1st and 2nd series were brilliant and the third... well it was ok ?

In the 1st & 2nd series of the show, i thought it was the best show i had ever watched.The characters were fun and interesting.The plot was great.And the acting was good.Then in the third series they decided to get rid of nearly all of the characters and replace them.The new characters are just exaggerated stereotypes. It is almost impossible to like them. The plots are violent and predictable.The hurmour is gone.I hope that in the 4th the writers try and make the show as good as it was in the 1st and 2nd.

Do You Agree ?

And does anyone know when the next season is coming out???
  • A powerful show that will make you laugh your ass off one minute, and then the next minute leave you shedding a tear.

The first two series and second two series are really two completely different stories about a group of teens trying to figure life out. Everyone who watches this show will be able to relate to one or more characters, which is what really makes the show so great. The show hits up issues like drugs, alcohol, relationships, friendships, depression, suicide, divorce, achievement, failure, gangs, violence, death, homosexuality, and family. The show goes through these subjects without holding anything back, something american tv could never do. There is nothing they will not do on skins. You're nose will be glued to the TV and at the end of each episode you will be begging for more.
  • really keeps you coming back for more

This is like one of the best shows ever. If this doesn't get a 10 then i dk what does... it should totaly be at least top 10
    it's not just some wealthy pranks who don't know what 2 do wth their time and money. you could really see yourself as one of them. and it's just unbeleivable how good the script is. and the make up. i personaly love effy's. And her whole wardrobe. i just love the new cast and the way the story changes every 2 seasons. but im sure gonna miss effy cook and freddie
  • Pretty dam good

There is very little not to like about this show. I would have given it a 10 except for the fact it dosne't nessecerily paint teenagers in a good light. In it, every single 16-18 year old smokes spliff constantly and drinks like there is no tommorrow. Not true guys!
    Rant over. This show is fantastic anyway. The charactors are lovable and believable, especially Sid, Chris and JJ. Series 1 was the best for me. Series 3 was not the jumping of the shark that could be expected from changing all your cast. It still worked and it was a brave yet good decision to introduce new people. This format could go on for many years and I hope it does.
    There is nothing this show is too scared to do and thats what I like about it. Ultimately touching, hillarious and at times rather disturbing. Very good!
  • The 1st and 2nd seasons were really good and the 3rd was ... different.

I thought that the first two seasons were really good amazingly over the top but really good. The start of the 3rd season was a bit different, if you don't know, the main group of characters changed as those in 1 and 2 went off to uni etc, it now centres around Effy, the sister of an old character. I wasnt sure of the new characters when the series first started but after a few episodes i must admit they did grow on me. They are still not as good as the original group but they are very interesting characters with lots of their own problems and i think that the 3rd series actually turned out to be quite good.
  • SKINS MAKES SEX, DRUGS AND PILLS COOLER THAN EVER. -AN AMAZING SHOW!

This show is FANTASTIC!

The first season was perfect. The characters were great and I loved how they were played by teenagers, not adults trying to act young. The story lines were fantastic and I loved how each week would centre around a different character. My favourites from season one were Sid and Cassie.

Season two was also perfect, though I'd have to say the story lines weren't as great as season one but there was a lot of character development that I thoroughly enjoyed! It was also really, really sad compared to season one. I was in tears for most of the episodes.

I've only watched one episode of season three as it only started this week in New Zealand. I was a little sceptical at first, but one episode has me hooked. I'm so excited to see the season through and I can't wait to see how the characters and story lines develop.
  • Hooked me from the start, three seasons of pure awesome.

Ever since the very first episode of Skins I've been absolutely hooked. The first series was amazing, even if the finale confused the hell out of me with all the creepy singing and what not. (Most of) The characters were so loveable, especially Chris, Sid and Maxxie, and the actors conveyed them so well that I really felt myself feeling their emotions. The storylines are gripping and fairly realistic (although clearly exxagerated) and I could really connect to it. When the third season came along I admit I had my doubts, replacing the entire cast (excluding Effy) annoyed me a bit as I had grown to love them so much. However, Skins is unique in that it isn't going to have 21 year olds pretending to be teenagers. I needn't have doubted the decision though, as I sat down for episode 1 season 3 I was immediately intruiged (namely by the obvious history between Emily and Naomi) and was once again hooked, eager to learn more about the new characters.

Skins is a completely unique show that truly represents teenage life today, being 17 myself I can really relate to the storylines and characters which I don't get from many other shows of the genre.

P.S. How people can even begin say that The Inbetweeners is better than Skins is beyond me. Maybe it's just my life experiences and sense of humour; but to me there's no contest when it comes to which is the funniest and most realistic and ultimately the most entertaing; Skins is the clear winner.
  • Why isn't this one in top 10?

Great freaking show!! I love it!!!

The picture is great, the characters are even better and I like how they mix teen with adult. It don't feel silly or childish.

Great show!

And now comes the 100 word thing...
    "When writing your review, remember to keep the language clean. Reviews must be 100 words minimum. We encourage you to try to get your review right the first time--you may choose to edit it later on, but by doing so, you will lose any positive feedback associated with the review. We encourage you to write your review in a word processor or text editor, save it to your local disk, then copy and paste it in the box below."
  • A show following Bristol teenagers in their final two years of school.

Skins is a brilliant show. There are many teen dramas made across different subjects and incorporating many themes but none seem to pull it off as convincingly as Skins. Skins is one of the few shows to use appropriately aged actors. It 'discovers' its actors by holding auditions at schools and hiring mainly totally inexperienced and unproven actors. It works remarkably well. All characters seem 'real' and they really take on the roles. The format of an episode per character allows development into single characters while still maintaining a plot. The characters may seem a little over the top to many. This is because of the heavy drug use, and how many of them seem to go 'off the rails' quite often. Every two seasons Skins plans to totally change cast, while maintaining a few links to the old one. This was done with season three with the linking factor being Effy, and to a small extent, Pandora. Before watching the third season I thought that it would totally destroy the series, but I feel that they did rather well and I am looking forward to what they do for the fourth series. The characters in the third season to seem less real, and less relatable, but still are good viewing. It is hard not to draw correlations between some of the first and second generation characters, such as the early Chris to Cook, Michelle to Katie. Still, with further development of the second generation characters they may distance themselves from their predecessors. Overall a solid series well worth the time.
  • SKINS !!!! :D Love it ! it shouldn't end ! Love the 1st and 2nd ! But the 3rd one its getting better and yes Freddy is extremely hot ! :DD waiting for the 4th season sooon ! :D

I love skins ! I kinda like the 1st and 2nd season better, but i also like this 3rd season !
    I think its uncomparable to gossip girl and its a lot better, its more a realistic tv series about teenagers life at an european country, i hope it doesn't stops ever! and i found very interesting the fact that at the 1st episode of this 3rd season was mentioned the death of Max Preece, a young boy, talented and loved by many people, from bristol, singer who died, a drama faced every day by many people, kinda like skins.

I miss Cassie and the old "crew"!!! :DDD
  • I love the fact that it is like a more edgy gossip girl...

It's like a more adult Gossip Girl with better humor and more likable characters. They may have a different cast now but it is honestly one of the best shows on TV right now. You have to relate to one of the characters or know someone who is like them, they are too human to not relate to. While the story line may be a little far fetched at times it is always interesting and always has something to teach you. You can always pick up a message about how love isn't perfect, or friendships are fragile things only with a twist of humor which all of us need now-a-days. Personal Favorite, and I hope it continues.
  • SOULLESS GARBAGE

Skins used to be a favorite of mine, season 1 & 2 were written masterpieces - beautifully produced and stunningly performed. The plots followed interesting characters whose stories were playfully yet intricately tied together, combining moments of hilarity, seriousness and tragedy within the framework of a context which seemed to emulate so much of what it means and feels like to be young. Skins 1 & 2 entertained and amused within the realms of believability. Whilst some of the weird and wonderful things they did were extraordinary, they were close to the reality of the post gen Y experience. Now, what has become of my beloved skins? Where is the heart? The substance that accompanied the style has abruptly departed and all we were left with was a rioting school of ridiculous misfit kids, rooting and smoking their way through a mildly entertaining existence. Random hook ups on the first day of school
    Getting involved with organised crime
    Quid-pro-quo sex for a cavanger hunt
    Chilli eating competitions
    Rioting high school students

WFT!? What were the writers doing in the break? Sorting coke? I was hoping to find that the old writing team had been replaced so at least this could be attributed to a slack new team of naive writers who have no connection to this world of young ppl. But alas, its THE SAME PPL.

It seems that success has bred the worst sort of laziness in the skins writing team. Now (and if this continues) skins is destined to join the ranks of 90210, Dawsons the OC and GG, more of the same SOULESS GARBAGE.

This show is truely not worth watching past the second season.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
  • Simply one of the best shows i have seen and enjoy watching it every week.

Skins is a fantastic show about teenagers from England. The cast in the first two seasons were great and teenagers all around the world would of been relating to some of the story lines that were brought up. Every week in the first season we learn about the characters, making us more attached to them and like them. In the second season more serious stories unfold. There is a fantastic mix of drama and comedy in Skins, one minute your laughing at their crazy antics, the next you might be on the edge of your seat excited to see what happens next. In the third series, i was disappointed on the cast from series one and two being thrown out (except for Effy and Pandora) and wasn't sure how i would like the new cast. However since the first two seasons were fabulous, i thought it was worth seeing how the new season would go. And i must say, so far i have not been disappointed. Fairly similar to season one, season three has been about learning about the new characters, however unlike season one, some major story lines have been introduced while learning about the characters. So far i think season three has been fantastic and has continued the greatness of the show which is known as Skins.
  • Its teen life in a show, drugs partying etc etc. Though this show takes it too a new and exciting step.

Skins is a show which is aimed at the younger audience of teens and young adults which basically goes through the lives of a gang of 16-18 year olds through their years at college but wait these kids aren't just 'normal' teens they are super bad and have got the whole sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll thing down pretty good. The 1st two series focused on Tony and his friends and how they developed through college till leaving for uni or wherever, the 2nd series got a bit weird and I was slighty mad at the ending but the new series I believe is looking way better than the original which I never thought it would. The shows 3rd series now focuses on Effy (Tony's lil' sis) as she is going through college with her new found gang of teen rebels. So the stories can be a bit far fetched, like having sex in school, drinking and setting things alight.... well not THAT unbelievable to be honest and it is great through out. Each episode usually focuses on one particular character or a couple depending on what crazy situation the boys and girls are in, in the episodes. One of the great things about this show is the music soundtracks are great, there are loads of classic indie tunes and hits constanly playing and well each character offers something different and original to the show. We have the wild and loud Cookie, the sensible brotherly Freddy, the geeky and eccentric JJ and Pandora, I could go on but there are a few of them. Its a good show and if you like a bit of swearing and crazy TV watching then Skins should keep you well entertained.