Slam Dunk Forums

Toei Animation (ended 1996)

Anyone watching this anime right now???

speedytr

[1]Feb 28, 2006
    • level: 9
    Anyone watching this anime right now???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

athena_711

[2]May 24, 2006
    • level: 1

This anime is a classic. Too bad it didnt air in America. This is my favorite and one of the funniest anime I know. The main character of this anime seemed to be patterned with Dennis Rodman (the dyed red hair, the boorish attitude.) And the main team here obviously is a paradox of the Chicago Bulls!

whoever2100

[3]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 11
    i dont actually watch this anime right now but its really nice! i watch it whenever i get the chance.... its really great

smile_seta

[4]Jun 15, 2006
    • level: 7

I watched the Slam Dunk series for the first time in a local channnel (ABC5) in the my country (the Philippines) back in grade school. (I've already finished a 4-year college course a year ago. So, it was a long time ago indeed.) I fell in love with SD ever since. It was dubbed in our local language, which is Tagalog. I collected almost all the SD memorabilia I can buy with my allowance' savings. Some years later, it was aired in a cable channel. That time, it was dubbed in English. In my college years, it was shown in another local channel (GMA7). It was in Tagalog, but different seiyutachi (voice actors) were used.

As of the moment, I have the complete original Japanese series collection of SD in our living room. I made it a point that I watch one episode at least once a week. My brother and sister read the SD manga (comic book) collection whenever they are free. So, basically, I've watched/read SD in three languages - Tagalog, Nihongo and English... (I just watched SD yesterday).

Edited on 06/15/2006 11:13am

whoever2100

[5]Jul 3, 2006
    you watched that in gma? i watched it there too... uhmm my classmates tito is the vioce of sakuragi in the tagalog dub version! pero wait i think the slam dunk they showed in animax was japanese with subtitles... if my memory serves me right i think thats the reason why i dont watch it in animax back then and just watch it on gma because i am one big tamad person!

smile_seta

[6]Jul 3, 2006
    Wow! That is so cool. An aunt of my former classmate is the seiyuu of Usagi in Sailormoon ABC5. I heard the salary was about P30,000. Actually, that is pretty low for a seiyutachi lead role if you ask me. I really want to be a seiyuu. Hehehe. Anyway, I do not know about Animax. Our cable does not have that. I was talking about Slam Dunk in AXN. As for me and I think for many people out there, subs are better because you know how the original sounds like plus you learn to speak the original language. Subs are better because the names are not changed. In Japanese, most names have meanings like Hiei (Vincent of Ghost Fighter) of Yuyu Hakusho. "Hi" means "fire" in Japanese as opposed to Yukino (Michaela). "Yuki" means "snow" in Japanese. Too bad that in ABC 5, they changed Rukawa to Lokawa. "Rukawa Kaede" is a Japanese name that literally means "Flow of the Water in the Stream (and) River (beside a) Mapple Tree." "Sakuragi Hanamichi" literally means "Cherry Blossoms Tree Flower Path." The names of the other characters have something to do with plants and nature, too. In Dragon Ball- food ("Gohan" means "boiled rice," "Vegeta" - "vegetable," etc.) I so hate it when Kamiya Kaoru of Rurouni Kenshin was changed to "Cori" in Samurai X. Some dubbed versions ruin the meanings. And subs are more "malutong."
    Edited on 07/03/2006 9:41am

whoever2100

[7]Jul 4, 2006

oops sorry its not animax pala axn... haha sowi my mistake parang kasi they dont show anime na in axn eh parang branch ata un ng axn...hahahah
    *yun nga as far as i know dati in axn hindi talaga siya english dub... yun lang

Edited on 07/04/2006 6:44am

smile_seta

[8]Jul 5, 2006
    Whoever, I think you should translate your post in English, because majority of the people here are not Filipino. They can't understand our native language. Anyway, go, Slam Dunk!
    Edited on 07/05/2006 6:08am
    Edited 2 total times.

ZaleIsBackAgain

[9]Jul 7, 2006
    • level: 47
    I'm also Filipino

I found some torrents for this anime a while ago for the entire thing.  I'm enjoying it so far.

smile_seta

[10]Jul 9, 2006

Yes, I know, but the others are not, so they can't understand Tagalog.

Ikuso, ikuso, Shoyo (Go, go, Shoyo in Japanese)!

JBMaunier4Ever

[11]Jul 15, 2006
    • level: 6
    I absolutely LOVE this anime! ^_^;; I was first introduced to it when my aunt and cousin presented me with four box sets (the entire 101 episodes) as an early birthday present two years ago. At first, I didn't really think too much of the series, but after sitting down and watching the first couple of episodes, I just absolutely fell in love with it, lol! My cousin and I sat there for entire days in front of the TV, and averaged about 6-10 episodes a day XD!

Currently, I have the ENTIRE SlamDunk collection: All 101 episodes of the anime, all 4 OVAs/movies, all 31 volumes of the manga (from the first page that Takehiko-sensei ever drew of SD, to the very last page, when SD ends after the last game of the InterHigh Championships. I won't reveal how it ends! ^_^), AND even the artbook of SlamDunk XD

So..yeah, lol...I'm obsessed with SD ^^' It, along with Detective Conan, are my favorite animes EVER!

ZaleIsBackAgain

[12]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 47
    Wow, I'm around episode 45 right now, and I'm absolutely hooked to this anime.  I thought it was gonna be all basketball, but I really love all of the characters right now.

Leu-kun

[13]Jan 2, 2007
    Saddly, I'm not. The mexican cast was the best, I have watched the OVAs but those dont bring the fun from the anime

armandoxhead

[14]Jan 20, 2007
    I finished the anime (which was really good) and I finished the manga as well since the anime ended before the really good parts. The anime was already really good, but the final matches are amazing. Make sure are you guys finish the anime, you read the manga (www.mangaspot.com) and donate too.

question though....Although all 31 volumes are out, I wanted to buy it, but are they all translated into English somewhere?

BlueSaberWolf

[15]Feb 12, 2007
    • level: 3
    whoever2100 wrote:

oops sorry its not animax pala axn... haha sowi my mistake parang kasi they dont show anime na in axn eh parang branch ata un ng axn...hahahah
    *yun nga as far as i know dati in axn hindi talaga siya english dub... yun lang

I think SD was dub in english or wasn't it?  I used to watch Axn a few years back.  They used to have english dub for the anime before they changed it to the original language with English sub.

10104evr

[16]May 27, 2007
    great anime. i'll watch it anytime

andyphantom9

[17]Sep 12, 2009
    • level: 14
    still watching the anime... current progress is episode 16 right now

Sendo

[18]Aug 13, 2012
    • level: 1

FINISHED 5 TIMES