A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX
I liked the pilot, but the series is just another anthology much like "Friday the 13th The Series." Nice production quality, literate writing and a good cast (Yay! Orlando Jones!)
BUT....I'm getting tired of people using the Symbol of Chaos (eight arrows radiating from a central hub), created by Michael Moorcock in his famous Eternal Champion sagas.
When I saw it on the back of the Horsemen's as of yet un-severed head, I groaned.

He gets no credit, he gets no royalties.

Some morons even suggest he didn't make it.

Well, Mr. Moorcock, I know. And I will mention it everywhere I see it plagiarized.
Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Moorcock described how he conceived of the symbol, starting from the four cardinal compass directions and then adding four more. He later found out that this symbol had been used many times before him, and he attributed it to Jungian collective unconscious. This theory jibes totally with Moorcocks Eternal Champion. Not all ideas are novel, even if you came up with them without assistance. In fact, man learns by observing the world around him, and we all pretty much observe the same things. This is why we have found the bow and arrow in numerous cultures that had never before come into contact. Same with solar and lunar calendars.
Flag
I, for one, do not buy into the "never having had contact" theory. I believe there were meetings between cultures since early Cro Magnon first encountered Neanderthals. Pyramids are an excellent example.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Sorry, troll boy. It is plagiarism. Just because I won't buckle to idiots who know nothing about Moorcock, or what plagiarism IS, doesn't mean you're not an assbag.
Flag
I've read all the comments and I just have to ask...mjone61 are you a troll? The comments pretty much consist of people giving reasonable explanations of why your position is misguided, only for you to ignore their points and reiterate that it is still plagiarism because you say so.
Flag
I will not be swayed. Go bother someone else. It is plagiarism.
You are the troll
Flag
It's a compass rose with cardinal and intermediate directions not plagiarism. It's been on maps for centurys. http://ss6shms.pbworks.com/f/1269392556/Compass-rose.jpg :-)
Flag
Wrong. Nice try.
Flag
Actually, it's not plagiarism. Plagiarism is defined as "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own". I don't recall anywhere that the creators of SH said "hey, look at this cool symbol that we totally created on our own!"

And if Moorcock doesn't have an issue with the symbol making its way into common culture I'm not sure why you have your knickers in such a knot. On the multiverse.org web site a quote attributed to him regarding the symbol reads "However, there's a certain satisfaction of having added a few bits and pieces to the common culture to the extent that people actually don't know the origins of stuff and ideas they now use casually. None of that bothers me." So if he's cool with it we should be as well.
Flag
Nope. Plagiarism.
Flag
I admire the zeal of someone who won't let the facts sway his opinion.
Flag
Not facts, your opinion. It IS plagiarism.
Flag
The guy may have invented it, but it no longer belongs to just him. Pop culture snagged it decades ago & the time for him to do anything about it has long since past.

You're just overgeeking about it Dude. You should let it go
Flag
No thanks. It's still plagiarism.
Flag
Co-opting/changing pre-existing symbols has been happening in all forms of media since the beginning of time.

The circle with arrows going in 8 directions has been around for centuries. Moorcock is NOT the first one to use it. The makers of SH won't be the last ones to use it.

If it was plagiarism, we would have heard the lawyers as they proclaimed the matter on the courthouse steps.
Flag
Moorcock already acknowledged that he has no legal claim on it, so your point about lawyers is no point at all. But it is palgiarism. Not a compass either, btw. Nice try. lol
Flag
Yes he was the first. He invented it.
Flag
Sorry, Moorcock had many talents. Time travel was not one of them. The compass rose has been around for centuries. The circle of arrows going in 8 directions is just a variation of the compass rose (as it has been stated by others).
Flag
No, sorry. It is plagiarism. And Moorcock is one of the most original fantasy writers of the 20th century. Thanks for proving your troll-ness. Try harder. lol
Flag
Again, Moorcock was decent, but not original. He does credit to the genre, but others have done it better.

Moorcock was good at taking existing stereotypes and symbols and adapting them. But he did NOT create the symbols. The compass rose,/8 pointed star/arrows in a circle were all used before Moorcock.

Try looking at some of maps used by Christopher Columbus and other sea faring historical people.
Flag
No, sorry, and a One Way sign isn't the Arrow of Law, either. Try harder, trolly
Flag
Again, IF it was plagiarism, the lawyers would be proclaiming it from the courthouse steps. It wasn't that long ago that Conan Doyle's representatives took the producers of STtNG to court over the Professor Moriarty episode. Ergo, Moorcock was just using a variation of a pre-existing symbol.

Moorcock was a decent writer for the genre. But he was not all that original.
Flag
No, sorry...it didn't exist before Moorcook scribbled it on a napkin.
Get your facts straight. Oh, and just because idiots, en mass, state it doesn't mean it's true. Look how many morons voted for Oblamer...twice.
Flag
And I suppose the single arrow of Law, the counter point to the sign of Chaos, is simply a "variation" of the One Way traffic sign? Around in the US for decades!
Your argument is invalid, and irrelevant. Moorcock didn't use a compass rose, it was to symbolize the infinite avenues of possibility. Sleepy Hollow is just another case of plagiarism of it.
Flag
North is the counter point of South on the map, as West is the counter to East. Those directions are balanced by NE, SE, SW, and NE. A total of 8 directions. Some variations of the compass rose are even made of arrows.

Moorcock just adapted the design to suit his needs.
Flag
I understand the point but this isn't a sci-fi convention. Its like looking at a dollhouse and saying the 18th century table doesn't have a specific type of carving on it while completely ignoring the fact that its sitting next to a 20th century gas range, while a 21st century laptop is sitting directly on it. Just because the show throws words like "Revelations" and "The Four Horsemen" and other such labels around doesn't mean it is using any of those symbols in the 'trademark' way either. Ichabod does not time travel to modern day New York in the novel, the Four Horsemen are not under the direct control of Moloch in the Bible, Hessians were German mercenaries enlisted by the British in the Revolutionary War but they were not shadow warriors under the command of Moloch.

This is not the (insert your trademark culture/symbol/character here) so we can follow it to the letter show. If anything, this is the beg-borrow-steal and p'ss off as many different cultures and stereotypes as you can show, so long as people talk about it and it's entertaining. Bald Hessian with a gimp mask riding blithely through the ranks of a Revolutionary war battlefield...no one says anything. He has a tattoo on the back of his head related to, or perhaps honoring, a famous fantasy author (who wrote extensively about the fight between chaos and order) and its not mentioned in the credits....HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM. You are tilting at windmills, Mr. Quixote.
More+
Flag
Well, that was a lot to do about nothing. The fact remains as I stated. Another outlet using the "Sign of Chaos". Where as your facts about the Hessian, etc., are true, it does not take away from what I posted.
Gee, I sure hope tehy don't have a future antagonist who is a red-eyed albino, with a black, soul stealing sword.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  •