A Sleepy Hollow Community
FOX (ended 2017)
Ick.

Not the general plot of "Child's Play." I'm not sure what a 'standard" episode of Sleepy Hollow is, but "Child's Play" probably qualifies. Then again, nobody dies onscreen so there's that. It reminds me of Doctor Who, where death is so casual that you barely notice the original series episodes where everyone lives ("The Brink of Destruction", "The Three Doctors").

So to recap. Molly is somewhat resentful toward her mother Diane because of how Diane has kept secrets from her--like the whole Witnessship--and doesn't talk freely to her. With a little magical push from Malcolm, Molly's much-younger childhood imaginary friend Mr. Stitch shows up, played by one of the show's "monster actors", Derek Mears. He's played Moloch, and the Kindred, and the Golem, and the Head Berserker. Here he's even more unrecognizable than usual under a heavy wrapping of child blankets.

Mr. Stitch triggers off the wards in the Vault, sealing Ichabod and Molly in. Jake and Alex head out to the home of their predecessor, Claudia Russell, and discovered that she's done a Norma Bates. In that she's a mummified corpse sitting in her booby-trapped house. After she lost her lover Michael to a monster, she quit and holed up at home, and died with her boots on. Somehow.

Jenny teams up with Diane, and they find out that Mr. Stitch is real. They go to an abandoned amusement park that Molly imagined was Mr. Stitch's home and perform a decomposition spell to destroy the blanket and therefore Mr. Stitch. Mr. Stitch, who has already attacked Molly's teacher, doesn't take too well to that. It turns out that he goes after people that Molly doesn't like. And mostly she doesn't like her mother Diane. So I'm not sure why the creature went after the teacher.

Anyhoo, Jake and Alex bring Molly to the amusement park after she escapes the Vault (more in a minute), and Molly and Diane have a heart-to-heart. This slows down Mr. Stitch long enough for Jenny to complete the spell and send Mr. Stitch away in a cloud of fairy dust.

And Molly escaping the Vault? She has to crawl down a narrow tunnel to get to the servos. Which don't work anyway, so she follows a tunnel out to an alley. Malcolm is waiting for her. He's already had a version of the two of them sharing tea and crumpets in his dystopian future, and chats Molly up a little.

And this is the "Ick" I mentioned at the beginning of the review. Jeremy Davies is creepy enough anyway. But here he's hitting up an 11-year-old girl. And at the end, Malcolm tells Jobe the Demon that he realizes that Molly needs a father in her life. Malcolm is more Uncle Bad Touch than Daddy anything. I'm not sure if the ick factor is deliberate or not on the part of first-time episode writer Francisca X. Hu, but it sure comes across that way.

Oh, and after seeing their dead predecessor, Alex worries that she and Jake are going to end up the same way. Jake promises to make sure that she's okay, promptly jinxing it. So I expect one of them to die horribly by the end of the season.

And we find out that Malcolm somehow slipped a tablet into Molly's backpack with a Wiccan symbol that triggered the whole Stitch-summoning in the first place.

The whole thing feels... kind of rote. We get a few parallels to the old days: Ichabod suggests that Molly's imaginary friend is similar to Henry's Golem. Which... it isn't. And Jenny points out that Witnessship brought her and Abbie closer together and that it could do the same for Diane and Molly.

And Ichabod gets sidelined, which is never a good thing the few times that it happens. I like the chemistry between Tom Mison and Oona Yaffe. It helps that I like both actors, and Mison does a good job of subtly playing up the fact that Ichabod gets to play the father that he never has because Henry spend a couple of centuries in a grave. We do find out that Ichabod really really likes Chinese takeout.

But like last week, this week felt like the creative team was just treading water. There's a mention of the second member of Malcolm's team, but they don't actually show up. We don't see Logan, either. All we find out about Malcolm's plans is that he's closing up his company to focus on creating the United States of Dreyfuss. And that now he wants to be Molly's creepy father-figure. And that he likes meditating on a bed of nails.

So overall, "Child's Play" was pretty... average. There was nothing wrong with it, but nothing incredible, either. It was just kind of there.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
3 Comments
Comments (3)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 07, 2017
This show is a steaming pile now. Some of the spirit remains, but none of the interest.
Flag
Mar 05, 2017
So I expect one of them to die horribly by the end of the season.

Maybe, but to me this goes back to last episode and the fact that Malcolm is building his Frightful Four. One of those two will betray Ichabod and joins Malcolm, in hoping that his way will be for "the greater good" or something like that (or likely protecting the other one)

As far as uncle bad touch, it's sort of even creepier if you think ahead and assume that Malcolm will probably use Logan to lure Molly to his side.

Also, as far as memory lanes are concerned, they also brought up the Wendigo which is funny since Ichabod doesn't even seem the slightest concern with Joe's death. Sure, it's not as bad as Jenny, but still makes me laugh that his character was written out so quickly and nobody gives a damn.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members