A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX
Well, Ichabod Crane is back. And this time he's... not sleepy? Kinda hollow? Standing like a crane? I don't know where I'm going with that one. Anyhoo, Sleepy Hollow is back and without a lot of fanfare. Although maybe I just don't watch enough Fox these days with Gotham and Lucifer on break. But after its first year, Fox seemed to make an effort to hide Sleepy Hollow. And tinker with it endlessly.

So "Columbia" was kind of a back-to-the-basics effort. It had to pick up where the show left off with Ichabod in the hands of Detective Walters' people. And introduce a new cast of regulars: Special Agent Diana Thomas (Janina Gavankar), who has "New Witness" written all over her. Jake Wells (Jerry MacKinnon) and Alex Norwood (Rachel Melvin), who run the now-dilapidated Agency 355 that George Washington created. Diana's 10-year-old daughter Molly (Oona Yaffee), who isn't speaking but is secretly doing sketches of Ichabod although she's never seen him. And Malcolm Dreyfuss (Jeremy Davies, Daniel on Lost), a super-rich CEO who has supernatural resources and dances and prances like he's doing a musical.

Writer Albert Kim juggles this all pretty well. He also takes a look at a different historical period, dwelling on Lincoln's assassination. Turns out it was by a demon possessing John Wilkes Booth, and Mary Lincoln Todd was a sorceress and her husband's mystical bodyguard as well as wife. So this made a pleasant change from three seasons of Revolutionary War angst.

The demon is vulnerable to copper, and was released when Malcolm removed the head of the Lincoln statue at the Lincoln Memorial. Now it's killing anyone wearing the Stars and Stripes. Jake is a Mulder-type true believer, while Alex is a skeptical machinist who grabs a blowtorch, melts down some pennies into copper bullets, and loads them into a Gatling gun. They go demon-hunting with Ichabod and Diana, lure the Booth demon to a warehouse, and it threatens to kill them all until Jenny (returning Lyndie Greenwood) grabs the Gatling gun and blasts it away.

Along the way we get a lot of references to Abbie, although they seemed to shy away from actually using her name. Ichabod and Jenny are still looking for the new Witness, and odds are it's Diana. Who doesn't really do much this episode except make one or two "brilliant" deductions and play the "must avenge my partner while dealing with a troubled daughter" bit.

Oh, and Malcolm and a mysterious animal attack-simulating aide named Jobe blast apart the head and remove a tablet. And Malcolm says that he has to catch 'em all, no matter how much blood is spilled.

Tom Mison is still the actor to watch on the show. He's still doing a great job of the "man out of time," who is slowly adjusting but now finds himself thrust into a whole new city. There are jokes about Downton Abby and Hamilton, but Ichabod also gets to match Jake Superman for Superman reference even if it takes him a few seconds. The rest of the cast are... okay. There's only one episode to judge them, but I liked Rachel Melvin in her "Gee, gosh, give me a blowtorch and some pennies" enthusiasm. Jake seemed to be the typical cultural-reference-spouting geek boy.

Despite the show's setting in DC, there was pretty much no political commentary. But then again, the episode was probably produced before November 7, too. I'll be waiting to see what words about Trump the producers and writers put in Ichabod's mouth.

Basically the episode was a "reset" to move the series into a new city, a new archive (now Agency 355), and to some degree a new story arc. The mysteries of the men who abducted Ichabod, what Malcolm are up to, and why Molly is having visions of Ichabod, remain in the background but provide enough material to keep moving forward. I liked the focus more on Confederacy magic and demons rather than Revolutionary stuff. The Booth demon was fairly interesting in a one-shot monster-of-the-week way. As Jenny noted, it's the best-dressed demon on the show that we've seen. They seemed to get back to the basic Ichabod a bit, although I couldn't say how. Maybe they dialed down his "Yeah, I've gotten used to the 21st century" a bit.

Everyone seemed... promising. Even James Kyson from Heroes, who had a brief bit as Diana's boss. Most of them didn't do much this time around. Just enough to perk the viewers' interest. But then again, the Sleepy Hollow writers have never had trouble churning out interesting characters. It's escaping the Fox network execs' influence that has only been the issue.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
20 Comments
Comments (20)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Grrrr! We finally get a scientific proof that those flag-burning demons are totally un-American and plain evil by targeting white, red and blue images! Yes, there's got to be something demonic with all this unpatriotic business.

I think the daughter is the witness, but the mother will have to fight in her place to protect her, like the Witness's guardian or something.

If they ever make a Sleepy Hollow movie (well, stranger things have happened), maybe it could have the budget to take Crane to England and be contrasted with modern England in today's Brexit age.

So the Lincoln memorial is going to remain like this, headless? And what will the villains do next? Behead the Statue of Liberty?
Flag
I'm not "scientific proof" is a term you want to associate with flag-burning demons and fantasy TV shows.
Flag
Episode one seems to be a new version of another episode 1
Instead of Abbie Mills finding her partner Frank Irving decapitated by the headless horseman, we have Special Agent Diana Thomas seeing her partner Alex Norwood getting killed by a demon
And in DC they have the same thing as in Sleepy Hollow, a big library with all the references that Ichabod will need and a secret passage to tunnels constructed exactly like in Sleepy Hollow.
I love Sleepy Hollow but I can't help but feeling that this episode was all Deja Vu. I will keep watching cause I'm intrigued by Molly and her sketches.
PS: To who does the hair of Ichabod, please give him back his long hair. This new look doesn't go with his style. I don't know who decided to cut his hair a few season ago but it doesn't suit him
Also what happen to the awesome camera angles that season 1 gave us? I miss those
Flag
Episode 2:
I keep hope that this season of Sleepy Hollow wants to be good. I'm also very happy to see a familiar face (sort of) making is way back
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
What do I think? I think they gave the camera equipment to an over-excited college film student. Every. Single. Shot. had dark-light contrast, focus-blur contrast, filming behind an object, something moving in front of the action, characters off-centered, skewed angles, intense zoom in or out with very little middle space, none of the traditional following or single-take shots, and very little time spent actually, you know, focusing on characters talking.

Problem is, this isn't a police procedural like Blacklist or 24 (and even those shows didn't futz with the camera work too much) -- it's a show that got by on the intimacy of the characters. I can forgive that it's hard to do that with a show that's basically a pilot episode, but the directing was for a military-style actioner, not a goofy supernatural melodrama. And so, Crane simply doesn't "fit".

I'm willing to give next week a chance, though, because the screenwriting was noticeably better (though, again, the banter simply wasn't there) and the plotting is less "pull some bullshit out of thin air" like the last few seasons, and like other shows of this type do (I'm looking at you, "Once Upon a Time").

Also, I'm wondering if Diana's daughter is going to be the Witness. Which would be cool, but have problems of its own -- we can't have a kid running around with Ichabod, chasing demons.
More+
Flag
This episode was Ok. The TV.com "Here's What's on TV Tonight" emails stopped showing up in my inbox at the start of the new year, What gives?
Flag
Staff
Can you please check out your profile and make sure that you are still signed up for emails? We've seen a few users get unsubscribed by accident.
Flag
Lucy me. I'm still getting those emails. For instance, my favorite show, whatever it is, in on at NaN:NaN PM tonight.

Flag
Staff
This issue has now been resolved. Starting tomorrow, your emails should go back to normal. Please let me know if not!
Flag
Thank you very much.
Flag
You'd have to post in the tv.com site feedback community for answers to that, or PM @jessicakroeber directly. As spudchick notes below, it sounds like a blockage glitch on your end rather than a site problem.

I don't use the feature myself, so can't help you.
Flag
Mine are still coming. It might depend on on your email domain. It turns out Comcast automatically blocks a lot of stuff that gmail doesn't, maybe even more than they used to. And I mean blocks, not sends to the spam folder.
Flag
Oh, and Albert Kim wrote the episode. I commented in one of my last year's reviews that he's one of the show's strongest writers. "Columbia" wasn't an exception.
Flag
It's been a while since I have typed out any kind of review. It's only been one episode in to the new and possibly final season but after what I thought was a dreadfully terrible season 3. I really liked what the show has done and where it is going. I will continue to watch and hope the show continues it's new path and maybe we will see it continue.
Flag
And yes, as soon as the edit button comes back, I'll fix the lead-in photos, replace the Bbbbb placeholders, and add links. But until then... not so much. :(
Flag
You should probably know that molly is the witness remember abbies soul is still around, Jenny and ichabod were both looking for it so it's obviously the daughter because she stopped talking around the time abbie died that's why she's drawing sketches of ichabod.
Flag
Is that speculation or are you citing someone connected to the show?

For instance, it could be that Molly is psychic, or supernatural-sensitive, or whatever, and picking up Witness-vibes from her mother.
Flag
There's a certain amount of relief in the other witness not being a romantic option for Crane this time around. But if the Witness mantel did fall on Molly, it's convenient that her mother is an appropriately aged and skilled mating option for him. The writers have set up a readymade family in distress for him to sign up with. We already know he's got a domestic streak.
Flag
I'm with cannibalking. They did seem to be grooming the mother for witness at first but pulled a switcheroo with the kid. The timing and premonitions make sense.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members