A Sleepy Hollow Community
FOX (ended 2017)
Well, that was anticlimactic. Entertaining, but anticlimactic.

"Freedom" was a good episode, but things seemed a bit easy. Thanks to Ichabod cutting a quick deal with Satan, and the team finding a cache of mystical weapons, they held off the Horsemen long enough for Ichabod to get close to Malcolm and use the Philosopher's Stone to deprive Malcolm of his immortality. His mortal wound opened and Jobe (who had secretly engineered Ichabod meeting with Satan) took Malcolm to Hell.

By the same token, Henry was pretty easily dealt with. Ichabod just had to convince him that Malcolm was usurping his freedom, and Henry walks away. Whether he had joined the other three Horsemen or not and made a difference, who knows? It doesn't seem like it. That left Headdy and the two lesser Horsemen to be dealt with, and they were pretty wimpy overall.

Jobe still remained a vague threat/non-threat. He seems to have been quite happy to serve Malcolm most of the season. But Team Witness' plan relies on him turning against Malcolm. I enjoyed Kamar de los Reyes' performance, and he did whatever the scripts asked of him. I just wish the scripts had been a lot clearer on the character.

I still have no idea what Malcolm's plan was. Kill the President and... hope Congress just appoints him the new President? Or what?

Still, there were a lot of little moments that made the episode a decent season finale. Hopefully not a series finale. But whether it's a season or series finale, as I noted last week Sleepy Hollow seems to have Grimm beat once more. They didn't go with cheap deaths, although I wouldn't have been surprised if someone died taking down Malcolm. Again, Team Witness winning without at least one death or tragic dismemberment made the whole thing a little anticlimactic.

The little moments include Alex finally admitting her feelings for Jake. The President making Ichabod an American citizen. The continuation of Agency 355 answering directly to the President. Jeremy Davies camping it up once more as Malcolm, with lines like "This was supposed to be my victory shirt." John Noble being all John Nobly. The team taking on the weapons of their predecessors, even if the original team didn't get a name check. (Paul Jennings, Davy Crockett, Samuel Wilson, Sacagawea.)

The bit with the cable guy, which had absolutely nothing to do with anything but gave us an Ichabodism to go out on. Ichabod and Diana cheerfully bickering at the end about whether they were facing a kraken or not.

And of course, Terrence Mann as the Devil/Satan. He didn't have a whole lot to do, but I liked the concept of a white-suited smooth-talking mercurial Devil in a white ultra-tech Hell. And hey, it's Terrence Mann. As anyone who has seen Sense8 can attest, he can do ominous in his sleep.

There are still some danglling plotlines. What happened to the guys who brought Ichabod to DC in the first place? What happened to Jenny's father? I wasn't big on the whole move from Sleepy Hollow to DC, but the creative team pulled it off. I like the new team more than the old one. Sorry, Nicole Beharie fans. They have a more diverse range of skills and just seemed to pull together better as a team.

I get the impression that the creative team wasn't incredibly happy with having an 11-year-old as a Witness, which is why we got Lara. As I noted last week, I thought that Ms. Gabriel and Mison had a good chemistry together. So I'd be curious to see what she brings to the team in (hopefully) Season 5. I liked Oona Yaffe (and she got a good "old man" to Ichabod at the end), and will regret it if she's just backburned to "Diana's Daughter" in our potential Season 5.

I don't see any point in speculating what Season 5 should have. As long as they continue with the current team, and keep John Noble around, I'm pretty happy.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?

-----

Unless tv.com or someone else picks up the reviewing reins, I'll be here to review season 5 next year if we get a season 5. With Sleepy Hollow and Grimm both going off the air, and MacGyver ending its season in two more weeks, that pretty much frees up my Friday nights until Wynonna Earp comes along. And I'll probably end up reviewing that again. And there's Lucky Man on Fridays for another four weeks. So if SH gets renewed, we'll see you in... 39 weeks, give or take. Be there or be headless. Aloha.
18 Comments
Comments (12)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 16, 2017
Sleepy Hollow was a colossal failure, and the fact that you're the only person interested in writing reviews for it is proof of that. Most sites lost interest in the show along with fans. Sleepy went off the rails in season one, crashed in season two, exploded in season three and burned to the ground in season four. It never got any better. As bad as fans thought Mark Goffman was, he was light years more talented than Clifton Campbell., who removed everything about the show that mad it special.

This new team of helpers couldn't hold a candle to the team of Mills, Mills, Irving and Crane. Ha ha at you trying to throw shade at Nicole Beharie. Fox spent a lot of money promoting this show to women via Beharie. They got the viewers and then lost them when they tried to write her out in favor of two male characters fighting over a worthless witch.

These imaginary skill sets you speak of did not endear the new team to old viewers or new ones. Magical artifacts held by a bland group of men and women is no replacement for the heart and soul the show lost when it threw away and it's storyline and killed off its leading lady.

Good riddance, Sleepy Hollow. Cancellation couldn't have happened to a worse show.
More+
Flag
Apr 03, 2017
I feel like Dryfuss was more of a means to an end than a Big Bad. We've been waiting for the four Horseman to unite since Season 1, which is why getting rid of Headless in season 3 ticked me off to no end. Dryfuss not only brought back Headless and made him useful (using him to get immortality) but also managed to FINALLY complete what Moloch started- the revival of all four Horsemen and have them attack all at once. Yes, Famine and Pestilence had almost no screen time and no character development whatsoever (we don't even know what their powers are.) but they were THERE!

Things, I believe, are looking up for Sleepy Hollow. Twitter didn't have anyone rage-quit the series like they did with the season 3 finale, and most people agree that Adult Molly is best suited as the role of the Witness than Little Molly. Let's be honest, even if the series fulfills its prophecy and lasts 7 seasons, having a grown man and a 13 year old girl fight monsters together would be weird. I hope Laura is explored in full next season, because as of right now we were only TOLD that Ichabod has a bond with her, not SHOWN like how it was with Abbie. They were friends, and they knew each other so well that Abbie could tell the real Ichabod from a shapeshifting imposter. I hope Laura gets that opportunity too, cause as of right now Diana fits the role of a Witness far more than Laura.

I think there will be a fifth season. The show lasted, in spite of a disappointing second and infuriating third season, 61 episodes, so, according to the Cancellation Bear, the show is now in "God Mode" and should last until it reaches 100 episodes. (Syndication gives any regular series that lasts 60 episodes 40 more automatically and, once the series reaches 100 episodes, the networks then determine if the show should be canceled or not. The Cancellation Bear wrote that this has been the case with every network TV show that lasted 60 episodes since 2002. The rule doesn't apply to cable shows, though) The show has learned from its mistakes and I believe, if they continue with shortened seasons, the show will reach the 7 seasons it prophecized in the pilot. I just hope next year's Big Bad actually poses a physical threat and doesn't go down like a whiny bitch like Dryfuss did.
More+
Flag
Apr 03, 2017
I've learned never to predict the unpredictablity of network execs.

The thing that bothered me (among others) was that I thought that they had to kill Malcolm. The Stone wouldn't open up his old wounds: it would just make him so that they could kill him. But instead as they got close, he just keeled over. That's part of why it was so anticlimactic. "Get the Stone within 20' of the bad guy" isn't that thrilling a conclusion.
Flag
Apr 01, 2017
For the record, just saw the finale of Grim.

After that? I have 0 complaints against this episode.
Flag
Apr 01, 2017
I agree season 4 was good but the ending was too easy. The last scene with the music felt more like Supernatural
I hope we get a season 5
BTW JasonMelvil If I remember Ichabob didn't get his citizenship cause he didn't present himself to the appointment
Thanks Gislef for those reviews, now waiting for Fargo to start
Flag
Apr 06, 2017
I agree with the comment on the final scene. Adding AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" was very similar to Supernatural. And it was hardly the first time, considering a couple of season 2 episodes practically recycled plots from that series, particularly the cursed coin episode.

But I did like the finale. Another thing that was unresolved though was whatever happened with Robby Kay's character? He seemed to join up with Dreyfuss at the end of his lone appearance, but he disappeared altogether. I thought he would be in more episodes.
Hopefully the new team Crane will get a new season of battling the supernatural.
Flag
Apr 06, 2017
Robbie Kay's character (Logan) was turned into the horseman of pestilence. One assumes that just like Henry is still a horsemen, so are the rest of them.
Flag
Apr 01, 2017
Ah, I suppose that might be it. I only remember him mentioning wanting to be a citizen in the first couple of episodes. Didn't remember how it resolved.
Flag
Apr 01, 2017
To be honest, I liked the season but hated the finale. You pretty much said exactly why - everything was too easy.

The fact that Crane made his deal with the devil is such a yawn. Yes, it's presumably the ultimate price to pay for him - but for us the audience it means nothing,. Crane will not die until the show ends anyway (unless it's cancelled now)

To be honest, the predictable route would have been that Lara gave her soul - since she's from the future and you don't want 2 clones walking around. But they didn't go there at least.

Also, can someone explain to me why isn't Molly a witness anymore?

Job turning on Malcolm was beyond stupid. Lara just tells him he dumps him in the future (why on earth? He's a demon, he's powerful and he was exceedingly loyal) and he goes 180 on Malcolm?
Huh?!?

And if Henry was going to dump Malcolm, why did he join him in the first place? He had no obligation to do it. You'd think after Moloch, he would think twice on what he signs up.

Still annoys me that he is back so easily. Don't get me wrong, I love John Noble but it sort of makes season 2 finale completely pointless.

P.S
Someone remind me, didn't Crane already become an american citizen? Didn't he do a pledge at the start of season 3?

P.P.S
In the issue of unanswered questions, is Jenny leaving or not?
Didn't she get a job offer?
More+
Flag
Apr 01, 2017
Yeah Henry just deciding to listen to Ichabod and just stop because he didn't want to be a follower again, that was tough to understand. I get he wanted to be the horseman of war again but I thought maybe he had a plan to get rid of Dreyfuss.

And I definitely agree it all seemed so easy for the team. It didn't feel as if there were any stakes.
And the ending to me feels like if the series ends it's not a bad way to sign off. I really liked the last scene. But there is also enough to go on for a potential season 5.
As for the Jenny question, if there is a season 5 I'm sure that will be one of the storylines, her leaving.
Thanks Gislef for the review. With Grimm being done and Sleepy Hollow not yet renewed, it's been a punch in the stomach for me. I hope some new supernatural procedural show can come in to fill the void.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members