A Sleepy Hollow Community
FOX (ended 2017)
It's a team building exercise!

Other than a way station on the way to Malcolm's Big Plan, "Insatiable" doesn't do a whole lot. We find out that Malcolm is putting together the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Robbie Kay's Lucas embodies Pestilence, and we're told that Malcolm's head person Helen has an insatiable hunger for power that we've never seen before. And so we should just take his word that she makes a suitable embodiment for Famine.

Malcom and Jobe pay a brief visit to the Horseman and promise that he'll be restored. And he'll be the embodiment of Death, naturally. That leaves War, which will probably show up in the upcoming "Way of the Gun" episode.

So this week, Jobe unleashes a hunger demon in the Eisenhower Building in DC. It drives a staffer to insatiable hunger before he dies, and then kills Diana's mentor Nancy Stryker the same way. Again, we barely know who Nancy is thanks to one brief scene where she really doesn't do anything to help Diana track down Malcolm. And Diana doesn't seem to be stricken by her death after a relatively brief, "Another crime that Malcolm has to answer for" speech.

A Chinese puzzle box summons and captures the demon. Jobe leaves the box at the Eisenhower Building, and Ichabod and the others track it there. However, the box is crushed and the hunger demon escapes. They do some digging, and discover that a) the box was found by Ichabod's British superior officer, and b) he gave it to his son, who led the Donner Party. The team finds out that the Donner survivors sealed the demon in a cave, and that the cave was lined with gold. So they work out that the demon's weakness is gold.

The team then does a bunch of... well, team stuff to destroy the demon. Jenny points out that cars have a lot of gold. Alex makes a 3D printer duplicate of the destroyed box. Jake works out the symbols. Diana and Ichabod help. They use the fake box as a lure to bring the demon to a junkyard, surround it with cars containing gold. Diana shoots it and does jack-all, but Ichabod shoots it with (presumably) gold-tipped crossbow bolts. Jenny pins the demon in place with a couple of more cars, and Jake and Alex shoot it up with injectors that Alex has made. And thus the demon blows up real good.

At the end, Team Witness realizes that the whole thing was another of Malcolm's "Turn a creature loose to get ahold of something more" schemes. They discover that the scales of Justice in the Eisenhower Building have been taken, and that they're a totem of hunger and power. Ruh-roh! Malcolm performs the ceremony of giving Helen the scales as her totem of Famine, and that's pretty much it.

There's not really much of a focus on anything. Diane is obsessed with finding Malcolm, while the rest of Team Witness wants to deal with the more immediate problem. Which turns out to be... well, not exactly wrong. But after Ichabod points out that her plan to deal with the demon and track down Malcolm was right and it was only her keeping it secret that was wrong, the team makes no effort to find Malcolm. Which results in his getting the totem and putting together Team Apocalypse. I guess by the end, Diana has learned her lesson. Which is that she was right but she shouldn't keep secrets. Because of course, no 21st century TV dramas are based around keeping secrets.

Ichabod throws a house-warming party and suggests that Jenny move in nearby. She gets an offer from an artifact hunter and considers going off on her own again. Because she'd... rather be her own person than stop Malcolm from creating the United States of Malcolm and creating the Four Horsemen? I'm not quite clear where this is going.

Jake gets a girlfriend, Missy, and Alex is jealous in that TV-tropish way where she makes catty remarks and puts down Jake in a passive-aggressive manner.

Ichabod is grateful for Diana and the sight-unseen Molly for giving him a life in DC. And Diana is grateful that Ichabod has given her a purpose in their lives. The mutual admiration flies thick and fast. We get historical tie-ins to Ichabod's pre-Colonial days and the Donner Party, but Ichabod really doesn't have Ichabodisms. He more acts like a doofus, like when he goes on and about how good he is at solving puzzles and then Jenny casually solves the puzzle box that he can't. While Abrams-style lensflare hits us in the face repeateedly.

So overall, it was a pretty average episode of Sleepy Hollow. I wouldn't call it a great episode, but it's the kind of episode that puts the pieces in place. At least now we know what Malcolm is up to, sort of. Although I'm not clear how the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are going to make Malcolm President. And Team Witness knows what Malcolm is up to, sort of.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
6 Comments
Comments (6)
Submit
Mar 13, 2017
I wish they bring Jeremy back as war but I doubt it.
I'm still betting on Alex or Jake to be the last horseman.
Flag
Mar 14, 2017
A better bet for the last horseman would be Molly. Malcolm is already planning to turn her to his side and it would bring up Crane's issues with what happened to his own child.
Flag
Mar 13, 2017
John Noble is supposed to be back in the next episode or two...
Flag
Mar 13, 2017
Hey! Spoiler alert!
Flag
Mar 14, 2017
That's why it says "Spoilers" in the headline. :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members