A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX
Wow, okay everybody that was an extremely solid episode of Sleepy Hollow. Since one of your favorite parts of the story each week has been Ichabod learning about the Modern Life I thought we would start off there really quickly before heading into the story, because boy this was a busy week for Ichabod. In total I had the following as things learned - spackle, Renaissance faires, loofas, tape, plastic, kidnapping (this was definitely a thing back then, didn't quite get that one), the CDC, webcams, and adrenaline shots.

Okay, I hope everyone enjoyed our brief foray into Ichabod's modern day life - now onto the show.

This week we started off in the woods with a little girl doing normal little girl things.

But, the unsuspecting little girl was not along.

When the boy revealed himself I had two thoughts - #1 - Is this another woods-related hellish incident experienced by the Mills girls? and #2 - He's definitely a demon child right? There's no way he's not a demon child. However, the little girl was not one of the Mills sisters and was completely undeterred by the boy's demon child expression.

It turns out that I was wrong in my assumption that the boy was about to be the perpetrator as the little girl disappeared.

Even worse news for the little boy was the person/thing behind the little girl.

Say hello to the Horseman of Pestilence everyone. I believe that he is throwing his hat in the ring to be our favorite Horseman of the Apocalypse. Anyway, Pestilence chased the little boy into traffic and then disappeared. Meanwhile, Abbie and Ichabod were moving Ichabod out of the motel and into Corbin's cabin.

Also

Apparently the writing room has heard your various discussions about Ichabod's wardrobe because he was very concerned about his look this week

Abbie then got a call about a little boy who had been found passed out on the ground in town. Ichabod came along for the ride, because as he rightly pointed out - nothing is normal anymore. However, Abbie's ex was not a happy camper to see Ichabod around still.

At this point Ichabod pointed out to Abbie that the boy (from the woods) had some strange sickness spreading over his arms.

It was at this point that the boy woke up and uttered a word that Ichabod recognized.

Just kidding. Apparently the little boy was speaking Middle English, which Ichabod also happened to speak and that he uttered the phrase "evil girl".

Back in the police station, while Abbie looked through the missing child database and Ichabod played with tape, Ichabod had a discussion with Captain Orlando about the case.

Captain Orlando contacted the CDC about the disease just in case it became an epidemic (which of course it will). Abbie's Ex then took his issue with Ichabod to Captain Orlando.

Essentially Abbie's ex made some pretty rational, logical arguments that Ichabod really had no business being a police consultant. However, Captain Orlando maintained his mysterious allegiance to Ichabod and told Abbie's ex to mind his business. Ichabod and Abbie then headed over to the hospital to talk to the boy and meet the CDC head.

The CDC head had the worst bedside manner and Ichabod put him in his place. Ichabod then interrogated Thomas (the boy) using a webcam.

Thomas told Ichabod that he had left his home, which he shouldn't have, in order to follow the evil girl. After Ichabod translated this for Abbie - she knee-jerked a typical Abbie reaction.

Thomas told Ichabod that he was from Roanoke. Ichabod believed that due to the appearance of Thomas and his Middle English language that he might be from the lost colony of Roanoke from the 1500s.

In the late 1500s the first English colony was started in Roanoke. One of the members of the colony returned to England for supplies, but when he returned several years later, the entire population of the colony had vanished without a trace. Ichabod believed that somehow that lost colony had turned up in Sleepy Hollow in the modern day.

Back in the hospital:

Things were not going so well for the other infected people (or for me either, desperately trying to avoid copying Price's "Is it Friday yet?" because it could be used in so many places in this episode). Captain Orlando was pretty sure they had an epidemic on their hands. Just before this guy above died he saw a vision of the Horseman of Pestilence.

Abbie and Ichabod decided to go check out the forest where the boy came from. Naturally the trail they would be following was aptly named:

Abbie decided that this would be the perfect time to hassle Ichabod about inside information on the founding fathers:

Also we can please address the fact that they were traipsing through the woods using a PHONE APP COMPASS? Hahahahahaha. Oh this show. Then of course came possibly the most ridiculous thing that has even happened on this show - AND that is saying a lot.

I mean seriously guys. I know that this show is meant to be light and fun and crazy, but oh my god this made me laugh so hard. If you haven't seen the episode - Ichabod was tracking Thomas's path through the woods and used this spiderweb to determine that Thomas had come this way. Strongest spiderweb ever that is. Also he used his knowledge of botany.

Back in the office Abbie's ex was continuing his endless tirade against Ichabod with the Blonde Stranger Cop from last week.

Eventually Ichabod and Abbie tracked Thomas's path back to an island in a small lake

Ichabod quickly figured out that there was a secret passageway across the mini-lagoon.

Ichabod and Abbie then stumbled into the lost colony of Roanoke where the people seemed to be waiting for them and were not at all fazed by their appearance. Abbie and Ichabod quickly noticed that all of the villagers had the strange black veins, but did not seem ill at all. It was at this point that I had a serious case of deja vu because:

Anyway, the head villager gave them the lowdown on what happened with the lost colony. One night the Horseman of Pestilence rode through town and infected everyone with the disease. The youngest child was the first to die from the disease. Her spirit turned out to be pretty powerful and it had protected the rest of the villagers from the plague and brought them to this safe place - out of the reach of the Horseman. Also on the way out there was a very weird exchange where a young girl offered Abbie a flower in friendship:

Abbie and Ichabod deduced that there was something special about the location or just the town in general that could maybe be used to save Thomas and the other infected victims if they could bring them back to the colony. Unfortunately, it was too late for Ichabod as he had caught the disease. As the doctors came to quarantine Ichabod, Abbie reiterated:

Then we split to a dreamworld with Ichabod and some lady I hardly recognized

Woohoo! It was the triumphant return of Katrina - who I have made some mention of in the last few recaps (basically where the hell has she been?).

Ichabod awoke in his dream in purgatory with Katrina. Katrina hadn't been able to summon Ichabod there in quite a while (due to low power maybe?) and he was only there now because he was close to death. Katrina was being kept there by Moloch. And she also happened to know why. However, before she could give Ichabod this crucial bit of information he was yanked back into consciousness

However, there was the strong implication that (trademark by Price)

Back in the real world we finished up Abbie's ex's plotline as his inquiries into Ichabod's bonafides as a professor at Oxford were answered and confirmed that he did indeed work there by a well spoken English woman

Meanwhile, Abbie was trying to get Captain Orlando to help her get Ichabod and Thomas out of the hospital, but Captain Orlando was much more focused on the city-wide chaos

Abbie then asked God for help figuring out what to do next and she received the idea to baptize (or something, I wasn't totally clear on this point) Thomas and Ichabod in the towns water. This time around she tried coming at Captain Orlando a different way.

Did not really understand Captain Orlando's flip-flopping, but whatever. Abbie then stole the ambulance with Ichabod and Thomas in it and they went an adventure through the woods back to the lost colony. Ichabod and Thomas were not looking too good.

Luckily, Ichabod and Thomas were able to dunk/baptize/whatever themselves in the town's water before the Horseman could catch up to them. Upon the removal of the illness all of the victims in Sleepy Hollow were saved and the Horseman disappeared into ash, presumably ruining Abbie's outfit

One of the major things that was burning a hole in my brain throughout the episode was the question of how/when/what/why was the lost colony there and the thousands of questions that go along with it. However, there was a neat twist at the end that nicely wrapped up those questions Sixth Sense style - they were dead all along. I actually thought that the concept of a dead soul who was infected with a plague being chased back into the real world to infect people was a pretty ingenious move (kudos). And then at the end of the episode it was the moment we had all be waiting for- the return of

We're all pretty sure that the Blonde Stranger Cop is a Hessian now right (since he's sticking around)?

Who setup Ichabod's alibi at "Oxford"?

Who is your favorite Horseman so far?

How did you like this week's episode?

Did Katrina do something ill-advised (but well intentioned) or something evil that got her trapped by Moloch?

Where was Jenny this week? I feel like she could have helped a lot in making the jailbreak from the hospital.

Will we get another Corbin close up next week?

What is the Headless Horseman back for this time?

Where does Captain Orlando truly stand and is he truly on Team Ichabbie?

So far this fall TV season I have been photo recapping Sleepy Hollow and Revolution and I have been considering adding another show to my recap schedule. Which show/s might you possibly enjoy reading one of my recaps for?
Poll

26 Comments
Comments (26)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Had to add something to this review after watching the season a few times. I think I know who vouched for Ichabod being at Oxford: his Mason contacts. Yes, they technically don't show up til the next episode but it was obvious they had been watching him for some time. Pulling a favor to get someone to vet his credentials shouldn't be that hard for them to do, although their combat training against apocalyptic manifestations does need some work.
Flag
This episode was really reminiscent of "The Recordist" (Fringe: 5x03). Right down to the village of people living in the woods with a strange skin condition. Anyone else?
Flag
Love your recaps!
Flag
We need some photo recaps for Witches of East End
Flag
I was gonna watch that. but the very first premier scene had the worst special effects i've seen in years.
Flag
OK, who decorates their cabin with a framed picture of their own face??
Flag
Jenny.

That cabin was their home and Corbin her mentor: a framed picture its just the kind of things she would do for father's day.
Flag
I have to say that this particular episode was far better than the last. Now as a NC native, I have heard all kinds of stories about the history and stories (much of it fiction) about the Lost Colony and the mysterious "Croatan", from horror and ghost stories to time travel (as we have in this episode). I had complained about the previous episode being (perhaps inadvertently) cliche in it's German-bashing as well as bringing historical inaccuracies to a a higher level. But the writers created a much more fictionally graceful concept of what happened to the Last Colony.
Today, it is mostly believed that the colonists grew hungry and weary of waiting for their scout to return back from England with supplies, and so they immigrated, thus, intermarrying with one of the local Native American tribes there. They dismantled their current settlement and left "Croatan" carved in a tree as the only "solid" clue to John White when and if he ever returned. Back in the 1500s, search parties in a strange land were much more difficult to conduct, especially with impending bad weather concerned. I think that some DNA research has been conducted on Native peoples claiming to be their descendants, if I'm not mistaking. Despite that though, the story of the Lost Colony remains to be speculated and is used as a favorite aspect in super-natural fiction.
One can defiantly tell that extensive research was done on the language of Middle English (which actually sounds a lot closer to High German today than Modern English does), and Tom Mison, does a beautiful job at it, using what seems to be skilled Shakespearean-trained acting. I was quite impressed. And I got a good laugh at his "Ichabod-meets-technology" stint as he proceeded to unnecessarily press his face against a Skype camera to talk to the little boy in one scene.
I look forward to the next episode.
More+
Flag
I look forward to these photo recaps every week-and yes, it would be awesome if you started doing them for White Collar! :)
Flag
I didn't watch this episode as yet, but I love the recap informative and funny.
Flag
"Who is your favorite Horseman so far?"

Well, Death, because he has a coherent plan. Decapitate people. Get bigger guns. Shoot people.

It wasn't entirely clear what the master plan was here. He's Pestilence, why does he have to trick a ghost with a plague the Horseman used centuries go, to leave his protection, so he can become solid, so he can infect people? Shouldn't Pestilence be able to inflict disease all on his own? Particularly... the plague he created?

Okay, I guess this was some kind of "Pestilence is a more-or-less harmless spirit and can't fully materialize until he spreads the plague from an old leftover plague victim." Still, it seemed kinda convoluted.
Flag
Thought they addressed this with Ichabod saying something along the lines that Conquest hadn't yet actually returned and this was some sort of time bomb he'd left from before.
Flag
I believe the scene where the little girl offers the sprig of plant to Abbie was to show that they were not 'human' or in this case -alive. The leaves of the plant closes on human contact. However the leaves were open even while the girl was holding it. If Abbie had taken the plant from the girl it would have closed, maybe then she would have realised.
Flag
Totally missed that. Cool.
Flag
Your recaps make me smile. Also, my vote is for Almost Human as your next show to recap. Think of the pretty. Think of it!

Looking at the pics, Katrina's Purgatory is even worse than I thought. Imagine your boobs(or moobs if you're a fella) hiked up and smooshed together for all eternity. Moloch is a monster! Your tatas get my deepest sympathies Katrina.

Flag
Almost Human for me too!
Flag
I vote for Almost Human as well, I have high hopes for this show.
Flag
I know Ichabod needs a place to stay, but it seems rude to take over Corbin's cabin without asking him first.

I hope Abbie asks permission the next time she dreams about him.
Flag
Okay, all of my responses are going to be colored by the fact that the this season on Sleepy Hollow like totally blew my mind that I initially totally forgot what went on in this episode at first...

1. Yes....but then Zombie John Cho (I know his name is Andy) is approaching Abbie's ex telling him to pick a side. So, now, I am like, oh he is just a poor red shirt. And Morales (?) said his name, but I didn't catch it.

2. My guess is that it is Jenny. I want to relisten and see if it was a very similar voice to the one Sonya on Nikita has, because I could so see Abbie slipping Jenny a phone after last episode. Otherwise, maybe Yolanda?

3. I am reserving judgment for the craziness War and Famine will inflict.

4. I liked it a lot...but you're right it was actually very like Season 3 Fringe feeling. I actually thought a lot about the whole show last night and just wonder how many shows beside this one seem to understand that if Fringe started now, it would be one of the most popular shows on TV, but it paved the way.

5. Ooh...my guess is that she did something very Dean Winchester like and offered her soul to Moloch to protect Ichabod.

6. That's why she is my guess for the phone, but she'd likely have to play nice for a little bit.

7. Well, of course, I imagine he will make his own reappearance when Abbie is in need of confirmation she isn't crazy.

8. Who knows, why did he disappear for the last little bit? I am guessing, maybe he only can come out at the full moon or something like that and we will actually acknowledge that the full moon takes place over a three night span.

9. As I am guessing right now he is the Archangel Michael or something...he's all for making sure they are teamed up no matter what or how reasonable counter arguments actually are...
More+
Flag
Don't know how I totally missed Ichabod playing with the tape. Have to go back and re-watch that part. This show reminds me of the Pretender, where Jarod would always find some modern thing to discover and be obsessed over. I really wish Ich was more like a kid, going over to strange machines, pushing buttons and getting in trouble with Abbie for it. Sometimes, he's a bit too comfortable around things he shouldn't be.

Lost colony of Roanoke, why not? Sleepy Hollow is becoming like the Bermuda Triangle of the original 13 colonies. Wonder if there is a brochure on the other side that says "Visit Historic Sleepy Hollow...We'll let anyone in?" Makes it sound like Moloch runs a Hellhound Bus Service in Purgatory...daily stops in Sleepy Hollow, only one existential carry-on bag per soul, please. And why do the Horsemen always run so slow? Dramatic effect yes, but half the reason anyone gets on a horse is because it gets you there quicker. Pestilence slowing in order to chase the boy into our world, that I can accept. But enough with the horsemen running slower than a person on two legs. Find a way to make it a bit more believeable, otherwise I'm going to assume the Horsemen are special, in more ways than one (Hey Pestilence, don't forget your headgear and drool cup before you go trying to infect the world. Have fun storming the castle.)

I honestly thought the girl giving Abbie a flower was going to be a clue as to how to cure the boy. Maybe it was (flowers need water, water in that town has the spiritual antibodies needed to fight the plague) but if so, it definitely needed to be a bit more explicit. I thought it was a wasted opportunity, a way to make Abbie reflect in the chapel and go "Damn, the big guy was three steps ahead of me...if I was only paying attention." If you are going to go for the whole 'everything happens for a reason' schtick, then make the little things happen for a reason as well.

Speaking of the little things...Ichatrina is DEAD in the water. Ichabod wasn't simply brought back after 200+ years and seperated from his wife (who happens to be in purgatory) because the show is cruel. Certainly not with the kind of chemistry Team Ichabbie is displaying. Ichabod is from the 18th century, and his moral and educational background probably makes him very rigid when it comes to ideas of marriage. Even if he does feel something for Abbie (and all the evidence points to it, as does the evidence she reciprocates, more on that in a bit,) he's still going to think of Katrina as his wife. Ichabod is not only old-fashioned but a romantic. That means that he has a very idealistic view of love, and one of the major tenents of that is faithfulness. It makes me wonder if Katrina's mistake, what sent her to purgatory, was being unfaithful to Ichabod. Not only that, what if she was unfaithful because she fell in love with someone else. Breaking her vow to her husband would be considered a sin, but doing so out of love might have mitigated her cause so that she was sent to Purgatory instead of Hell when she died, needing to help/seek forgiveness from her husband in order to move on? I know that's a stretch, and probably not true, but it does explain some things.

Back to Ichabbie. How come no recap of that tremendous speech Abbie gave to Ichabod at the end, about how she thinks he was meant to be in Sleepy Hollow... in the here and now? Sure, you can pass it off as a simple act of faith, her reciprocating Ich's speech about them being witnesses together on this journey, but the unspoken emotional context swimming underneath that...she LIKES him being in her version of Sleepy Hollow. Ichabod isn't just altering her view of the world, he is altering her view of how she feels about it. Sleepy Hollow isn't so sleepy with Ichabod in it. His wonder, his displacement, even his natural acceptance of her being emancipated (not just physically but socially) is a major contrast to how everyone else treats her. He doesn't just call her Lieutenant as a joke; he was in the army. He acknowledges and respects her rank as easily as he breathes. It's also what makes Ichabod less a fish out of water than he might normally be. He had very modern/progressive ideas about a great many things, even in the 18th century. His acceptance of the modern world, of how that is represented in the person of Abbie, is no accident. Outside of Sheriff Corbin, no one probably ever did that for her, made her feel that way. Ichabod isn't just in the here and now to fight the horsemen, he's here because this is where his ideas and dreams were leading him...facing down the Apocalypse with Abbie at his side.
More+
Flag
I just wanted to say, your recaps are awesome! Hobo prince cracks me up every time :)

Blonde cop's totally a Hessian. There's no other reason for his existence on this show. He's gonna do something really evil very soon, I just feel it...
Flag
Well done, once again. Blonde cop...totally a Hessian. And as I mentioned somewhere before, I think Captain Orlando Irving is their own personal Secret Singer. He definitely scored the legits for Ichabod with Oxford. Also, so happy to see Steve. <3 Steve folks. This was totally a good episode, and I really dug the Sixth Sense wrap up.

Also, your photo recaps are very well done. Everyone loves Price's recaps, but you are really pretty damn funny too. Thumbs up dude.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members