A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX
The purpose of a 3-4 minute trailer of the pilot episode of any new TV show should be to excite any potential audiences, reveal the general plot, and create some buzz. After watching this trailer multiple times, I still have no clue whatsoever about what this show is supposed to be (procedural? serial?). Anyway let's break it down and then have a conversation about it.

Okay this is Ichabod Crane who will be our main character (as this is Sleepy Hollow, this is not unexpected). So far so good. In this timeline he was a revolutionary soldier working for George Washington, someone should call Disney because he was also probably..

While, our new hero had just awoken to a new time and was being interrogated, he was also hooked up to a polygraph inside a modern building so I kind of took issue with his confusion regarding the time period.

Also I enjoyed the exact population of Sleepy Hollow

Okay now onto the start of the plot. Turns out George Washington had tasked Ichabod with killing a specific soldier fighting with the English army. And guess what guys, the battlefield scenes looked pretty awesome.

Anyway this fight scene led to the iconic removal of the Headless Horseman's head courtesy of our hero Ichabod Crane. It also led to a scene that made me reminisce about the days of yore, playing Goldeneye on N64. If you ever played unarmed only - one hit kills - you ended up with some hilarious fun including many of these.

We were then introduced to the sheriff of Sleepy Hollow who was investigating a homicide in a completely empty barn for some reason (that I'm sure will become clear in the actual episode). Anyway the Headless Horseman made his triumphant(?) return.

Also getting into the action is our heroine Abbie who witnessed the Horseman reclaiming his ride.

So our hero and heroine grouped up together once Ichabod informed Abbie of the exact appearance of the Horseman. Of course she immediately started bringing this crazy hobo around to crime scenes, because duh what else could she do? Anyway they started to bond over this

Apparently in less than an hour's worth of screen time Abbie is going to buy all in on Ichabod's story because they go straight to his grave to check it out. Inside they find a book of revelations informing them that the Horseman is one of the horseman of the apocalypse to which Abbie did the greatest thing ever - she went and ahead and trolled her own show with a big "C'mon"

And after a few scenes of the local cops looking frustrated and perplexed featuring Orlando Jones and John Cho we returned to the......hold on....did he just say covens?......wtf....okay this trailer is starting to get crazy now

And yes I realize that witches are involved with the Sleepy Hollow story, but nowhere up to this point had it been mentioned at all and then it just came straight out of nowhere. Anyway apparently there are good witches and bad witches. The bad witches were responsible for bringing the Horseman back it sounds like and Ichabod was lucky to accidentally get in on the ride. Oh and it is his job to deal with the Horseman, no biggie.

It turns out that not everyone in the police department is happy with Abbie's investigation

Anyway for some reason our new duo was officially sanctioned to start investigating

It turns out that our heroes will be going on a National Treasure hunt (get it?) looking for something Washington left behind

At this point you may be asking yourself - who's crazy fever dream was this and FOX provided us the answer

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing - be sure to let me know in the comments.

The next thing that has me asking even more questions is the shootout scene with the headless horseman

The police didnt seem fazed at all by the appearance of a headless guy. This raises a lot of questions. Does this whole town know about the supernatural? Is it just the police department? Or is this show already throwing supernatural logic out the window (aka who knows what varies depending on what the show needs in the moment)?

Say hello to the horseman's primary desire

Okay where to begin. First off, yes, I will be watching this show - I will watch the start of pretty much any show because you never know when something just might work out and be amazing (Scandal and Vampire Diaries are an example, not in my usual wheelhouse, but they are great). Unfortunately this feels more like the plot to a movie that I would watch on TBS at 3PM on a Saturday 4 or 5 years after it was in the theaters. It's very difficult to see where this show is planning on going beyond the horseman wants his head back. I am seriously confused about what this show is intended to be and that's the glimmer of hope here. Maybe the writers do have some truly intriguing master plan that they just did a very poor job of explaining in this trailer. Oh also I did quite enjoy the banter Tom Mison provided as Ichabod so there is also some hope in the actors involved.

What did you think of the trailer?

What is this show actually going to be about for 22 episodes a season?

20 Comments
Comments (20)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Why does everyone always talk about a four episode test? By my calculations, shows usually hit the first sweeps week at their fifth episode, so that's usually where the writers have saved up the good stuff for. Check the episode guide of some of your favorite shows and see if that's not the case. In any event, for full-season shows premiering in the Fall, I'd recommend not writing a show off before you've watched whatever episode airs during sweep week. Sweeps run from October 31 – November 27, 2013 this year, so don't write off a show before the start of November, or longer if it's one of the CW shows starting late.

Flag
I guess I'm the only one who sees where this show can go. It's a cross between the movie Warlock (Warlock/son of Satan jumps through time to our time, witch hunter follows him, Warlock looking for book he can use to undue Creation) and National Treasure (hunt for treasure based on events in history being portrayed as conspiracies and a set of clues to follow). AWESOME mash-up. :-)

We've been told via the trailer that this is one of the Four Horsemen Of the Apocalypse, right? Well, if all four need to be stopped to prevent Armageddon, that's four seasons right there. :-) Part of the season could be spent tracking down the artifact needed through mysterious historical clues, part spent fighting evil witches and conspiracies at play trying to bring our heroes down, and the final part battling the Big Bad horsemen of that season. The horsemen represented conquest, war, famine and death, so those themes could run through the seasons as well.

Just a thought. I thought the trailer almost explained too much, like the entire pilot condensed into a few minutes, but it did make it look like the best pilot ever.

This show looks like the kind of thing that networks almost instantly strike down as being too far outside their cookie cutter comfort zones.... except this time an exec got a wild look in his eye, leaned in close, then half-whispered: "You know how we always say no? Well... YES. Whatever you want. Go wild." :-) It's like a bunch of writers were freed to dream up the awesomest thing they could think of with no responsible "adults" to tell them that it would never work and to play it safe, like auto engineers told to develop the car of their dreams with no marketing or accounting interference. This show could either be a sea change in broadcast television or kill off all creative leaps for the next twenty years. :-)
More+
Flag
i think it´s a good thing (about the writers), at the very least it with be very entertaining (plot holes be damned).
Flag
I've got a feeling that this show is trying to be the next Lost, and it looks like its trying to throw as much mythology at us as possible. That'd be great, but remember that Lost really hit its stride when it shortened its run to 13 episodes/season. This feels like the type of show where less is definitely more, so I'll give it the 4 episode test, then wait and see.

Honestly, I'm waiting for the day when broadcast networks wake up and give every serialized program the half-season treatment. Every fantastic show(the walking dead, breaking bad, game of thrones, mad men, etc.) has worked because it knew that filler episodes kill the flow of the series and the pacing, which is dire to plot/character heavy dramas.
Flag
In regards to the population, 144,000 is from the Bible, Revelation 14:1,3. It's the number of those selected by Jesus to rule over the earth as kings and priests with him under Gods kingdom. This show has a lot of religious undertones
Flag
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! Was so excited to see The Kurgen in this only to see him getting beheaded AGAIN 3 seconds later :p
Flag
I have this weird idea that at my sister's house for Thanksgiving, the grown ups (I am 36 but clearly we still have the divide) will mention this show and there will be some of the "kids" who join in on making fun of it and I will just remain very quiet and wonder which of my other relatives also get a kick out of it (weirdly, I am guessing my brother).
Flag
Staff
Fantastic post!
Flag
I loved the trailer myself, I sure will give it a shot.
Flag
Staff
For what it's worth: I loved the pilot. As insane as it is, it all somehow works.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Training Day Sunset
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm
    NEW
    CBS