We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Hey you! This isn't a review, it's a PREview. Huge difference. Most notably, the "P." Also, these PREviews are based on early cuts of pilots that might change drastically by the time they officially hit the air, so we can't properly review them. But we CAN give you an idea of what to expect. In this series of early looks at the new shows of fall 2013, there's no contemplating, no deep analysis; just super-duper quick thoughts on what we just watched that we're passing on to you. We'll revisit each previewed show in the fall with the hyper-intellectual breakdowns and fart jokes you're used to from us goons here at TV.com. 

Sleepy Hollow – Mondays starting September 16 at 9pm on Fox

STARRING AND CREATED BY: Super producers Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci, who previously brought us the Transformers movies, Star Trek movies, and Fringe, whip up another adaptation with Sleepy Hollow. Tom Mison (Parade's End) and Nicole Beharie (42) starring as a pair of mismatched investigators, and Orlando Jones (the 7-Up guy), John Cho (Go On), and Katia Winter (Dexter) round out the cast. Former West Wing writer Mark Goffman will play showrunner. 

THE GIST: *Drops acid* Okay, hold on to your underwear, because this is going to be interesting. Sleepy Hollow combines the The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and The Bible and the Revolutionary War and a modern-day opposites-attract police procedural to create one of the wackiest things you'll see all year. After suffering a nasty battle wound in 1790, Ichabod Crane (Mison) wakes up in the year 2014 to find that his nemesis, the Headless Horseman, is starting a new rampage. Through various circumstances, he partners up with Sleepy Hollow Detective Abbie Mills (Beharie) to stop the resurrected and decapitated man o' horse. Yes, this is an actual show!

SNAP JUDGMENT: I know it's absolutely bonkers and wacky and daffy and batty and screwy, but there's something about Sleepy Hollow that actually works. It's not great, no, no, no, but it's also not as terrible as it sounds. For one thing, the show appears to know that it's crazy; the pilot episode just goes with the flow by using psychic dreams, spirit animal guides, flashbacks to George Washington signing things, and magic-Bibles-as-plot-devices to spur the nonsense along. It's so out of its mind that you'll rarely have a second to digest what's happening, and that's the best way to watch it, because any confusion you might experience will be whisked away by the sight of something ludicrous, like the badass Headless Horseman pumping a shotgun and firing off a few rounds in the middle of a foggy cemetery (YES!). I'm positive Sleepy Hollow was a stoner dare that went too far, but there are no faults with its look or style. And be prepared to applaud Beharie, who absolutely commits to the material and puts in a fantastic performance to tether this insanity to the outer atmosphere.

PILOTITIS DIAGNOSIS: Any show with as much mythology as Sleepy Hollow is going to be loaded with backstory and exposition just to make sense of what's going on, and that stuff is all over the place in the pilot. But since we're all here for the freakshow, listening to the gobbledygook is actually one of the best parts. 

FACES TO LOOK OUT FOR: If you haven't seen any of Beharie's previous work (42, Shame, The Good Wife), you're in luck. Mison is fine as Crane, but he's really just a British dude and not the nervous character of the original legend. Ultimately, it's the Horseman who steals the show, but he doesn't have a face.

RANDOM THOUGHTS: Ummm, nothing more random than what I just saw.

EXCITEMENT LEVEL: Slightly above medium, but 90 percent of that is out of morbid curiosity to see exactly how far into the ether this can go. Sleepy Hollow is near Zero Hour levels of crazy, but it has a lot more fun with itself. On the 1 to 10 scale, let's give this a 6. 

PILOT PREVIEW POWER RANKINGS: 

(Where we rank the fall season's pilots based on very early impressions)

DRAMA

1. Almost Human - J.J. Abrams and J.H. Wyman's robotic buddy-cop drama

2. The 100 - Teens have fun (and die) on post-apocalyptic Earth while the adults fight each other in a big tin can orbiting the planet

3. Intelligence - Josh Holloway stars as a Cyber Command agent who has Wi-Fi in his brain

4. Sleepy Hollow - Ichabod Crane zaps to the future to help a detective stop The Headless Horseman

5. The Blacklist - James Spader is a master criminal who turns himself in to the FBI on one condition: He only works with the pretty new FBI agent

6. Hostages - Toni Collette is a doctor whose family is taken hostage and will be killed by Dylan McDermott's character unless she kills the President in surgery

7. Dracula - Jonathan Rhys Meyers is the fanged one in this re-imagining of the classic story of an undead guy chasing his old girlfriend

8. Lucky 7 - A group of gas-station employees win the lottery, for better or worse

COMEDY

1. Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Andy Samberg and a bunch of buffoons are cops in Brooklyn

2. Trophy Wife - Malin Akerman marries into a big family and ends up with two ex-wives and three stepchildren in the process 

3. The Crazy Ones - Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar are a father-daughter team in the advertising business

4. Mom - Anna Faris and Allison Janney play a mother and daughter with life problems

5. Enlisted - Geoff Stults goes to army reject camp with his two brothers 

6. About a Boy - Jason Katims' TV adaptation of the film adaption of Nick Hornby's novel about a man-boy friendship

7. Super Fun Night - Rebel Wilson and her loser friends hit the social scene

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/8/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

100 Comments
Comments (100)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The 100 I will check out but I don't think it will last that long I mean how long can they hold that plot line when all 100 die what will happen?
Flag
Orlando Jones the 7-up guy are you fucking kidding me Tim?!
Flag
Didnt realise this was set in present day. My interest level has dipped a little, but ill still give it a chance.
Flag
I take it you've never seen a commericial for the show?
Flag
I have not.
Flag
Looks fun and un-pretentious so i'm game.
Flag
Oh, and Orci/Kurtzman used to bring us TV like Hercules and Xena, and now Hawaii Five-Oh, so um, grain of salt.
Flag
Another 6, everything that isn't dogshit seems to get a 6 this season. This is the season of "meh".

As for Sleepy Hollow, it looked kinda interesting in trailers, which surprisingly looked just like this preview read, so good job Fox trailer guys? I guess. Anyway, the 6 suggests that the goofy weird stuff doesn't really need to be followed, and that's a good enough reason to say no to this.
Flag
I'm skipping all pilot previews as I'd prefer to be surprised in most cases and not have pre-conceived notions. and wanting to be surprised is especially true with this show which i'm looking forward to more than any other of the new season and am convinced by the trailer will be good and anyone who says otherwise is wrong! wrong! wrong! i'll maybe comeback and read this after i watch the pilot and chew out tim shit talking he might have done.
Flag

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds like a mash-up of the 1989 movie "Warlock" with the movie "National Treasure"?

With Warlock,

>In Boston of 1691, a warlock is sentenced to death, but escapes magically
>into the future (our present), followed doggedly by the witch hunter. There
>he is searching for the three parts of the Devil's Bible, trailed by the witch
>hunter and the woman whose house he landed in. They must stop him, as
>the book contains the true name of God, which he can use to un-create the
>world.

And of course National Treasure for the mystery tied up in secret, conspiratorial American history (which the Sleepy Hollow trailer hints at more than the review here).
Flag
There's only one 7-up guy, and it was Geoffrey Holder!

Flag
I'm thinking this could work in a crazy sort of way as long as they don't even try to pretend their being serious. :)
I did enjoy some of the jokes in the trailer, so I'll give it a shot.
Flag
I'm definitely tuning in.
Flag
Sleepy Hollow looks GREAT! I already know I will love it. It seems to have that same unexplainable charm as Grimm does to me. The plot sounds fun and I like the pairing of Ichabod and a black female cop instead of a white one.

My lists would look like:

1. Sleepy Hollow
2. Dracula
3. The 100 (not second because it will be too many angsty teens)
4. Almost Human
5. Intelligence
6. Lucky 7
7. The Blacklist
8. Hostages

1. The Crazy Ones
2. Enlisted

The rest I don't think sound/look good:

3. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (doesn't look like my humor)
4. Mom
5. Super Fun Night
6. About a Boy
7. Trophy Wife (the premise sounds awful)
Flag
SOLD!
Flag
I'm curious...but not enough to tune in, despite Orci, Kurtzman & Orlando Jones. I'm already gambling with The Originals, S.H.I.E.L.D. & Dracula. I *am* reconsidering Brooklyn Nine-Nine after seeing the commercials.
Flag
I refuse to watch any show that has teenage vampires with feelings or people who break into singing & dancing (unless it is community taking the piss, dont talk about the last series though, it didnt happen).
Flag
You're missing one of the most fast-paced, exciting stories on TV then (The Vampire Diaries). What other show mandates that every episode has to end (often in the last 10 seconds) with a shock, twist or cliff-hanger?
Flag
Not missing it! The show is NOT "one of the most fast-paced, exciting stories on TV". It was dull dull dull!
Flag
I reckon you don't like Buffy then? coz they have that episode where teens, vampires, demons and people break into singing and stuff. :)
Flag
hated buffy"!
Flag
that's too bad. you missed a pretty good well-written show.
Flag
no i didnt
Flag
I would check it out but I can't stand Orci or Kurtzman (to their credit though early Hawaii 5 - 0 is still fun to watch).

I've got my schedule set in stone anyway.

Almost human, Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D., The Crazy Ones (Sucker for Robin Williams) and Brooklyn Nine Nine (Terry Creeeeeeewwwwsss!).

Flag
I'm giving them a miss except for 2 those are almost human and intelligence. I would not be able to sit for 30 seconds never mind 40+ minutes on any of the new shows.
Flag
I'm a genre fan, but jeez, shows like this and Dracula are seriously making me re-think my devotion to the cause. Usually I would try to check out most new genre shows, but this year I think I might have to go with my senses and give them a miss, no matter that 'It's so out of its mind that you'll rarely have a second to digest what's happening'.
Flag
I may try the pilot.
Flag
It isn't any wackier than Once Upon a Time, or Grimm. And I quite enjoy Grimm. I'll give it at least 3 episodes before leaving it.
Flag
I think Grimm can be considered "sane" by comparison. :)
Flag
Sleepy Hollow....hell, yes!!!
Flag
Nope.
Flag
How would a premise like this work beyond one season? I'm skipping it.
Flag
How would it work? The trailer suggests the Apocalypse is in the balance. That's more than one season (Supernatural milked that for five). Plus, there's four horsemen in the Bible, so you've got four seasons right there. :-)

Remember that TV Guide, based on show descriptions, asked how you could possibly milk the idea of a plane crashing on an island for more than one season and gave Lost a failure prediction. :-)
Flag
I actually watched the trailer which actually made me decide to tune into this show. If I can watch some of the off the wall stuff of True Blood and enjoy it, I shouldn't really have too much of a problem with Sleepy Hollow. Plus seeing Beharie in a lead role will be a treat.
Flag
I was wondering are we getting the full release date calender and dead pool this time around?
Flag
I'm not sure if last year's Dead Pool was finished up. If the networks do what they did last year and keep most of the shows around, it hardly seems worthwhile.
Flag
Doesn't this belong under the comedy list?
Flag
I like a little crazy and nuts, as long as it keeps my interest and makes me say WTF in a good way and not WTF this shit is awful..(under the dome)...so I plan on at lest watching the first one...
Flag
I'm pumped for this show. That's all it boils down to.
Flag
Just one thought: Sarah Michelle Gellar !
Flag
I'm interested enough to check out the pilot but I somehow feel it's not going to last past 13 episodes.
Flag
It sounds weird and Mison is hot... so I'm in!, well at least for a few episodes like 3.
Flag
i'll watch the pilot, but i am more interested in the blacklist than this.
btw comparisons to zero hour made this have less appeal, i dont care how self aware the writers are about the series campness - if it has the same low quality as zero hour then it doesnt bode well
Flag
Zero hour was shelved by the network until mid-season, then talked about as not being a full series, then got yanked after very few episodes. This is debuting in the Fall and is being pushed heavily by FOX. Not the same at all. You've also got much bigger names behind (and in) it. But giving us a headless horsemen, witches, immortality of a sort, the Biblical Apolalypse and National Treasure-esque founding father conspiracies should make up for the loss of Zero Hour's frozen Nazis and demon babies. :-)
Flag
I am talking about the concept and quality, not scheduling or promotion, after watching the pilot of zero hour i gave up on it. So your comment of "Not the same at all" kind of missed the point.
If the show has a quality pilot, i'll keep watching, but if its a hot mess similar to Zero Hour or Do No Harm (which Tim gave a similar recommendation to) then i will stop after the pilot.
However " a headless horsemen, witches, immortality of a sort, the Biblical Apolalypse" makes me slightly more interested, but "National Treasure-esque founding father conspiracies" then takes it away
Flag
I quite enjoyed the pilot of Zero Hour. It was ridiculous in a fun way. But the rest of the season wasn't much fun, and the ending was awful.
Flag
I watched all of Zero Hour and quite enjoyed it, thank you.
Flag
That's how I felt the pilot to Zero Hour made me say hey, this is crazy and cool...but went totally down the crapper after that.
Flag
I stopped after the pilot
Flag
Sounds a bit like the movie Warlock.
Flag
Le Grand Grimoire ... a classic!
Flag
Hey! I thought I was the only one to make the connection! :-) But based on the trailer it actually seems like Warlock mashed up with National Treasure... which does sound like one of the most awesome mash-ups ever! ;-)
Flag
Warlock was campy goodness..but forget about Warlock 2 and the rest of those awful movies.
Flag
Highly recommended. It's one of Richard E. Grant's better films, IMO. He definitely plays against type. The sequel wasn't bad, and then they lost Julian Sands and it went all downhill.
Flag
It frustrates me that they just completely threw Ichabod's character away. Someone scared of everything who takes action in spite of that fact could be a REALLY interesting protagonist, but no. Let's just cast a generic, sexy badass.
Flag
My best guess is that too much weirdness on Monday nights on Fox means a probable failure, but I'll still probably watch it. I seem to have developed an overall habit of watching most of Fox's Monday night offerings. Then again, I did rapidly give up on The Mob Doctor and The Fol-lol-owing, so nothing's a sure bet with me anymore.

I was hoping that this would give Clancy Brown some regular work but I'm now thinking that he won't last longer than the first episode, and maybe not even all of that.

The best part of this show finally debuting is the end to the onslaught of ads that have been running for it on seemingly nearly every channel on the dial. Enough already with the heavy push.
Flag
>I was hoping that this would give Clancy Brown some regular work

Isn't Clancy Brown running his family's publishing company now? I don't think he's looking for regular acting work. In that case, that he chose to make an appearance in this pilot might say something about how he thought of the script.
Flag
I embrace the crazy but not the ridiculous! Looks like fun though.
Flag
This seems like a show that's just begging for a weekly photo recap ...
Flag
Has "Price" written all over it too ;)
Flag
That's exactly what I was thinking too!
Flag
When I heard about the concept of it, I thought "Um, no. Absolutely not." I still after watching the trailer am a no on watching it, but it actually didn't look too bad. The one thing that stuck in my head about the trailer was the funny comment about Starbucks "Are they allowed to have that many of them?" Especially funny to me since I am from Seattle.
Anyway, I think this show will go the 13 episodes, but that's all.
Flag
Staff
I found this surprisingly enjoyable. Went in expecting to groan through it. Nope. I embrace the crazy and I like it quite a bit.
Flag
This sounds very close to what I was hoping for.
Flag
This is the first thing I've seen that looks good. Yes! Yes! Yes!
Flag
I was planning on giving this a try. It seems stupid but if it embraces the ridiculous and knows its strengths, it can still be a fun show. So I'll try it.
Flag
In view of who is behind it, I am watching it.I like crazy, provided the pattern of craziness makes some kind of sense. I am actually more puzzled by the reviewer, so Tim is a Brit ????? ( bonkers, daffy) ???? weird indeed.
Flag
Liked the trailer, will see what it's like. I think I need to beef up my schedule now that stuff has ended and I may be giving up on others. (Homeland/Revenge).
Flag
May I ask why you would give up Homeland and/ or Revenge to watch this?
Flag
Weren't both Homeland and Revenge series that only had one season of potential but have been stretched out and/or radically altered to keep going despite the harm it does to the story?
Flag
Yeah, I'm not sure that Homeland only had one season of potential, but its clear that Damian Lewis' character is not meant to be in the story anymore. It was supposed to be a new "big bad" every season wasnt it? I have to say, season 2 was still brilliant television, but I'm apprehensive about how they can continue the Carrie/Brody/Saul issues for yet another season.
Revenge, yes, that was run into the ground for the sake of a few quick bob for ABC, but I did like the finale of S2 and I will stick around for a few episodes to see what they do with it.
Flag
I agree with Revenge, but the fact that Homeland has taken its original premise and developed it into so much more (I enjoyed the second season more than the first), and is a really ground-breaking show because of it.
Flag
Its not so much that I would give up on either of them FOR this, more that I may be giving up on both of those and am looking for something to replace the time void. And this might be a bit of a larf. Thats all.
I am apprehensive about Revenge because the showrunner/creator has left, but I'm keeping an open mind until I see a few episodes of S3.
Flag
Hard to know if the average viewer will tune this out or go along with the craziness noted. That said, my gut tells me this will go the way of Fringe and get few viewers, but they will be cultish fans of it, but not enough to sustain it in the long run.

When Surette noted Ichabod not being the nervous character we might be familiar with, I wondered if that might be a mistake. Having a more timid version could have been funny seeing him deal with everything in a more humorous way that has him lucky to be alive, more often than not, and having him muster the courage to be the occasional hero. Not only that, but seeing him deal with a whole new world he finds himself in. It might further help the show to not take itself too seriously. It would then fall on Beharie to mostly be the supportive strength of Ichabod and the show itself. Mison playing the strong, handsome, soldier type seems to "been there, done that", and therefore could be unoriginal or boring.
Flag
I like to read your comments using Daffy's voice.
Flag
Funny - I actually never thought to do that.

I signed up with Gamespot years ago and discovered signing up there signed me up here, which is why I have the name I do. Daffy was just one of the icons this site offered people to use, so I chose it as the best they had for me, as he's fave of mine, and never really wanted to change it.
Flag
You should try it. It gives your initial post a whole new demension
Flag
Daffy was always my very most favorite LT/MM character, especially in the very earliest ones from the '30s and '40s, when he was truly daffy.
Flag
I love Looney Tuneth. They're the betht!
Flag
I'm not sure if I've been just battered by so very many commercials for this show that I'm not sure if I am going to watch this because I want or feel obligated. I weirdly feel like this could be like a show that would be at home on Sy Fy where they acttotally meta until the show gets serious.
Flag
Man, no kidding. I've easily seen twice as many ads for this as pretty much all the ads for all the other new shows combined. On nearly every channel. At all hours of the day and night. Other incomplete sentences.

I've been wrong plenty of other times about plenty of other shows but my guess is that this one won't be around for very long.

Flag
I radically disagree. This has the most awesome potential to me of any of the new shows. If FOX is pushing it heavily than that just shows that they agree. This could become the new Heroes (Season 1) or Once Upon a Time or other show people thought were too crazy to succeed but were actually too awesome not to.
Flag
I know but if it comes on first before other returning shows...maybe...but despite the number of commercials I am not sure when its on.
Flag
Yeah, I have to keep telling myself "Fox! It's on Fox".
Does anyone know the fate of the show SyFy debuted the other night? It was called Rewind, and it was actually pretty good.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members