A Sleepy Hollow Community
FOX (ended 2017)

With Season 2 of Sleepy Hollow almost here, I thought it was time for a refresher course on the dense mythology of Season 1 to give us all a jump start on the sure to be awesome sophomore season. And in case you, like me, went to the "Derek Zoolander School for Kids Who Can’t Read Good" (or as fellow Alumni refer to it – “The School for Ants”), I did the majority of this in newfangled moving pictures!

***If you enjoy what you see - please give the story a click on the HEART to give an "atta-boy" to this ever needy amateur writer!

“Pilot”

Ichabod Crane, a Spy for the Americans in the Revolutionary War under the Command of General George Washington, was mortally wounded decapitating a Hessian Soldier. He awakes in 2013 Sleepy Hollow and joins forces with a reluctant Sheriff’s Deputy, Abbie Mills, to discover this “Headless Horseman” arrived with Ichabod and is one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

As bad as that sounds, there appears to be an even more evil force moving the pieces.

“Blood Moon”

While the monster of the week is a reanimated witch, the greater pieces of the story include Abbie’s Captain (Irving) giving her and Ichabod the freedom to work together to solve the strange occurrences in Sleepy Hollow. Abbie also discovers the late Sheriff Corbin has been investigating local supernatural events for a long time. Also we get a glimpse into Abbie’s sister Jenny – who will play huge part in the latter part of this season and is a regular of season 2. And of course, more anachronistic Icky-isms…this one with 21st Century firearms:

“For the Triumph of Evil”

The monster of the week is the Mohawk dream spirit Ro'kenhronteys, or the Sandman. By entering the dream world of this spirit, our heroes are able to resolve the problem and confront their past guilt and atone for them. This brings Abbie back her childhood, when she and Jenny faced an evil that is now rearing its head in present day Sleepy Hollow.

It also brings her back to her sister, who she finds has escaped the mental institution.

“The Lesser Key of Solomon”

Icky and Abbie search for Jenny, tracking her down to a cabin belonging to Corbin. It seems the Mills sisters each had a special bond with the late Sheriff. Abbie also learns that Corbin had Jenny track down rare and often magical objects, such as a sextant. This object reveals an old map of Sleepy Hollow marking the hidden location of The Lesser Key of Solomon, a book that can open a doorway to the seventh circle of Hell. A secret group of Hessians aligned with the Horseman get their hands on both the sextant and the book, but Abbie destroys the book and ends the ritual.

The Witnesses also learn that the demon they are facing is named Moloch.

But let's not kid ourselves. The most crucial part of this story is Ichabod's lesson on a car's entertainment system and the chance encounter with the lovely Yolanda - who we are assured to hear from in season 2.

“John Doe”

A really interesting, mostly standalone episode, that brings a young boy from the lost colony of Roanoke to present time. The link to our mythology is the plot of another Horseman, Pestilence, who’s plan was to spread disease by sending the young boy from past to present. Abbie and Icky find a means to bring him back home to his time, saving the present from the disease he carries.

Of course, a highlight is Ichabod’s battle with plastic packaging:

“The Sin Eater”

John Noble John Noble John Noble John Noble. Nuff said. However...

Ichabod and the Headless Horseman are linked by blood. When Icky is captured by his old brotherhood of Freemasons, Abbie is contacted by the Purgatory-trapped Katrina so that she can help her break Ichabod’s link to evil.

That and Abbie teaches Ichabod how to heckle an umpire.

“The Midnight Ride”

After his Freemason brothers are all decapitated by Steve the Headless Horseman, Abbie and Icky learn that Steve’s goal is to reacquire his melon, in doing that he can bring about the arrival of the other Horsemen. With Captain Irving lending a hand…

…our gang realizes that while they cannot destroy Steve’s coconut, they can use it to lure him into capture.

“Necromancer”

Ichabod and Abbie are still celebrating the capture of The Headless Horseman, a.k.a. Death, a.k.a. Steve:

As they interrogate the Horseman with Andy's help, despite Andy being dead and all - and warning them to back off. The Horseman reveals himself to be Abraham, Katrina's former fiancé and Ichabod's friend who was killed by Hessians and turned into the Horseman by Moloch. Brooks, under control of Moloch, sneaks a druidic relic into the chamber where the Horseman is being held and uses it to dispel the magical bindings of the chamber built by Thomas Jefferson. This allows Moloch's hellish minions to be summoned into the chamber, who disappear with Brooks and the Horseman just as the Horseman is about to kill Crane.

“Sanctuary”

Icky and Abbie investigate the missing case of Lena Gilbert, a wealthy granddaughter of a mining and oil magnate. But this seemingly unrelated event actually draws us into the greater mythology by revealing Katrina gave birth to a baby boy in this house. Ichabod’s son.

We also get to meet an evil version of Groot.

“The Golem”

Once again… John Noble. (YAY!) Ichabod seeks the help of Henry Parish (Mr. Noble) to find out more about his son Jeremy. What they find is Jeremy’s Golem – a supernatural creature he summoned for help, made from the form of his immensely creepy doll. More importantly, we have Icky come face to face with funhouse mirrors:

“The Vessel”

Not much in the way of furthering the mythology, but the episode served as both a warning and test of allegiance. Ancitif, a minion of Moloch with the ability to jump from body to body and possess its victims via physical contact, returns to Sleepy Hollow after a seven year absence and delivers a foreboding warning to Captain Irving: unless he delivers George Washington’s Bible – a valuable resource in the war against Moloch - great harm will befall his daughter, Macey.

Or those who come across her path. In the final episodes, Captain Irving takes the blame for the murders to protect Macey. He will not be incarcerated in Season 2, but he will be far from free. Sleepy Hollow will welcome a new Captain in his place.

“The Indispensable Man”

The mythology can go nowhere without Ichabod finally entering the 21st century by complaining about his cellphone:

Ichabod and Abbie, while studying George Washington's Bible, learn of a map of purgatory that was created after Washington had presumably died and likely buried along with his body. Asking Henry Parrish for help, they locate Washington's burial site and find the map. Meanwhile Andy, after earlier begging Abbie to hand over the map offers himself to Moloch and is transformed into a demon.

Once inside Washington’s tomb, Ichabod, Abbie, and Henry locate the map but are then attacked by Andy. He has a moment of clarity and asks Abbie for “release”.

While they manage to successfully escape, Andy doesn’t stay dead – but is instead trapped in the tomb. Abbie then warns Ichabod of what might happen should they use the map to rescue Katrina from purgatory and tells Ichabod to burn the map, which he understands and reluctantly does.

Edshrinker’s Photo Recap for "The Indispensable Man"

“Bad Blood”

Ichabod’s eidetic memory allows him to redraw the map to Purgatory and Abbie willingly agrees to join him to rescue Katrina. Henry Parish stands by to help.

Purgatory is hella-creepy.

(Faceless purgatory babe playing air-saxophone. You know. The usual.)

Abbie and Icky track Katrina down, only to find that Purgatory abhors a vacuum – if one is to leave another must remain. Moloch’s prophesy to Ichabod rings true, as in essence he delivers her soul in exchange for Katrina – although it is Abbie’s choice to stay while Katrina leaves.

When Ichabod and Katrina return to the real world they travel to the location with the four white trees in the hope Katrina can prevent the Horseman of War from appearing. When their efforts aren't successful Henry reveals that the Horseman is not there, and restrains Ichabod and Katrina on the trees before revealing to their horror that he is their son and that he was resurrected by Moloch 13 years ago, something Jenny learns but is unable to reveal when she is ambushed by the Headless Horseman. He then reveals that he is the Horseman of War, and allows the Horseman of Death (Abraham - her former beau) to take Katrina away to Ichabod's dismay. Henery/Jeremy then entombs him in the same grave he suffered for years in as a result of Katrina’s coven:

The 1st Season ends with Abagail in Purgatory, in a Doll House of her own past design, trapped against the attacks of Moloch. Ichabod is buried in a vine entrapped grave. Katrina is a prisoner, in the clutches of Steve/Death/Abraham. War has not just arrived in the form of Ichabod’s son Jeremy – but a plan is set in motion that has been years in the making. One to bring War to Sleepy Hollow.

Edshrinker’s Photo Recap for "Bad Blood"

C’mon September 22nd!

Video by @Vicky8675309 and @Edshrinker:

*Edshrinker*
50 Comments
Comments (50)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sep 16, 2014
Not a fan of all your gifs but your humor is always appreciated. Should have shown the wall of supplies for your Paul Revere gif, would have made Ichabod's gaze make alot more sense or maybe a short clip of Ichabod taking a louffa out of a bag and wondering what it is?

A bit off topic, is it only me or does anyone else see the numerous similarities between Ichabod's first meetings with Katrina and Abbie. "She disliked me intensely..." Ichabod's own words. I know, I let my Ichabbie show a bit much, down boy.

I've forgotten how many times I've rewatched these episodes and yet I completely forgot about Abbie's 'awful intercourse leading to a second date' remark. Thank you for adding that snippet to the video. There are so many wonderful 'awful intercourse' moments between the two, their partnership, their destiny, is really why no matter how many times people post reviews and summaries, I have to go back and drink the Roanoke water. 6 days until the season premiere...stop looking at the clock, keep busy, think Ichabbie thoughts....
Flag
Sep 16, 2014
Not exactly sure what there isn't to like about GIFs (other than the loading time), but OK. It is just something I enjoy making. Considering I write here for fun - it would make sense I use a format I enjoy.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
I meant what particular scene you choose to use for the GIF, not GIF's in general. But I can't complain much since I don't make them, so its only a minor quibble. Anything sleepy hollow is a treat.
Flag
Sep 16, 2014
There are definitely 2 camps ...those that want the romance and those that don't - or want KAtrina and Icky to be a pair. I still believe Katrina will be a big bad sooner rather than later - so we shall see.
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Ive said this before and I'm gonna say it again. It's not that I don't like Katrina. I think her bonding with Ichabod actually did make him a better person, give him a strong emotional reason to make some of the choices he made. But I think the updated mythology of Revelations being tacked onto the story really does lead him in a different direction. I've never read the original story and under different circumstances, I would be team Ichatrina all the way.

But the way the writers have written their bond, and the actors have played it, really illuminates that they are more than just two people the universe picked at random. And if you are going to play with the mythology of people being destined for something greater, it makes alot more sense to pair them up emotionally and physically as well as spiritually. Again, why make Witnesses that chronologically separate from another if the root of their bond is just friendship? The writers have bent the mythos of Sleepy Hollow already, bending it that much further isn't a stretch.

Also, if Ichabod's son was destined to be War, then it could easily be destined that Katrina sacrifices herself in order to redeem him, if only because her familial love towards Jeremy/War complicates the plot very nicely. Her Purgatory, after all, is dedicated to the moment she gave Jeremy away. As much as she loves Ichabod, I really think Jeremy/Henry is her emotional center of gravity.
More +
Flag
Sep 18, 2014
Great points and I am hopeful the writers follow your logic. I will just say that - the bond that the witnesses have does not necessarily have to be romantic. If it remained a close friendship (as Mulder and Scully's should have) I would be happier than seeing them together in "that way".
Flag
Sep 19, 2014

I have no problem with seeing mixed gender friendships and I think it makes people better if they do have them. But at the same time, many of the things that make a great relationship also make a great friendship. Also, even great friendships don't necessarily have great chemistry and that spark is definitely one of the things that separates a friendship from something else. If there was as much emotional distance between Ichabod and Abbie as there was chronologically, I could understand him holding onto Katrina because it would make alot of sense for him to hold onto his past for that reason. But when Abbie represents so much of what he was fighting for, when even the Universe has seen fit to bring him forward into the future, when the chemistry he has with this 'stranger' is so much stronger than what he has with his beloved, it's really hard to justify that as being a strictly friend reason.

And I'm not arguing that a show couldn't represent the two Witnesses as just being friends. I'm saying that the way the bond is represented in this show only adds to the romantic argument. Written differently, I would be a Ichatrina shipper all the way.

I think part of the problem with X-Files was that Mulder was so Pro-Alien/Pro-Conspiracy and Scully was so Pro-Rational that you almost felt as if the only way they could get together was if Scully became part of the Pro-Alien crowd, sacrificing a great deal of herself in order to make it easier for the audience to see them together. And Scully losing that part of herself, I think, diminished their relationship because it was almost like Mulder was her 'junk food' crush, something she knew she shouldn't enjoy but did anyway. It doesn't matter if Scully is being beamed aboard the mothership, you still want her character to try and rationalize the encounter, retain a cold, knife-edge toughness that still allows her to meld her experience with her perspective without losing either. If the show had managed to do that instead of whittling her down with every encounter, there might have been a stronger payoff when they did admit their feelings, because then it would have been less about 'I like you because you know about stuff I don't' and more about 'I liked you even when I thought you were crazy. Being right doesn't change anything.' My opinion, of course.
More +
Flag
Sep 15, 2014
Cool gifs, though my computer at work is still trying download them all. I'm still on the fence about a few episodes last season, but I can't wait for S2. Did I just read that there will be 18 episodes this season? That will be great as long as this season continues last season's quality.
Flag
Sep 15, 2014
BTW, I caught that "evil version of Groot"; so good! :D
Flag
Sep 15, 2014
LOL "I am Grit, Groot's evil twin".
Flag
Sep 15, 2014
18 eps - I believe they are saving the back 6 for the spring. They have a wealth of stuff to draw on with Revelations and American Revolutionary war history - so I manot the least bit conerned we will get filler eps or that the pace won't be as breakneck.

Sorry bout the slow load. When I did this recapping 24 - I usually put a warning in to bring up the page, go fix a cup of coffee or make lunch, then come back to see the page. My laptop takes about a minute to fully load it.
Flag
Sep 15, 2014
Unfortunately I don't often have the time at work to do that, so I'll just try it at home later.
Flag
Sep 14, 2014
Fantastic job, @edshrinker! And honestly, Ike's adventures with 21st century technology deserves its own webseries.
Flag
Sep 14, 2014
That is a fantastic idea. They should have had webisodes during the long layoff. of course - why would they want to use up all the good ones, especially now that we have 18 eps?
Flag
Sep 13, 2014
Nice & thank you @edshrinker - great work... I was so inspired I have decided to re-watch the 1st season entirely since some of the mythology honestly got a bit complicated towards the end and, more to the point, there is bloody nothing decent on at the moment... Especially now that Teen Wolf's finished until Season 5
Flag
Sep 13, 2014
I had started by just scanning to make the gifs - then wound up just rewatching the whole thing. Welcome to the club!
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Nice review of the previous season in anticipation of the new season.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Thanks!
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
You going to try and do all this season's episodes?
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
It looks like Kaitlin has it covered - we had gaps last season in coverage. However - I might be persuaded to do some gif recaps if i am well enough!
Flag
Sep 13, 2014
how is the health? I wasn't sure you would be back this soon, but glad to see you around and even if you don't do recaps, I am sure you will have a few Sleepy Hollow discussions you will come up with.
Flag
Sep 13, 2014
I have been eagerly awaiting its return. Now with no Almost Human, I am fixated.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014

Not sure I like seeing Icky with High Tech weaponry. Somehow this just looks wrong.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
He's got to learn how to use it sometime.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Well - he already wants a better smaaht phone...

Flag
Sep 24, 2014
Such a hipster.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
A great catch-up (with spoilers) for those of us whose memories of s1 were a bit foggy.

"Faceless purgatory babe playing air-saxophone."
If I had known such things existed, the series Black Box might have made a whole lot more sense to me. ;-)

Side note: That's a lot of flashy, looping gifs! Distracted me a bit while trying to read, but enjoyable afterwards. (No fault of yours... The Internet hasn't yet come up with a better solution.)
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Wait. Black Box is cancelled already? Wow that was quick.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
I wrote the 24 recaps with all of these too - I learned the best strategy is to bring up the page, go make some coffee, then when I get back maybe the darn thing is loaded.

I know these are probably a bit frustrating to wait to have the page running right. But these are just so fun to do!
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
This was great! It's 4:30am, and I was on my way to bed when I came across this, and couldn't stop watching it. I'm sitting here by myself in the middle of the night laughing my ass off, so thanks for that.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
I need to do a drug company disclaimer like: "May cause Insomnia, Constipation, and Exploding Heads"?

LOL Glad you enjoyed it!
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Should be...
"May cause Insomnia, constipation and risk of losing your head."
Flag
Sep 14, 2014
It isn't funny - but you talk about "Bad Timing" (must be a John Crichton plan).

Sleepy Hollow did a National Lose your Head Day - an it was the same day as an American journalist was beheaded by ISIS. Obviously unfortunate, but they did come out with an apology. I didn't feel they needed to do that as it wa just a very bad coincidence - but that is the nature of our new world. social media. So many offended even if no offense is intended.
Flag
Sep 17, 2014
you just need someone with a stick up their butt and anything can be made to seem offensive, but if your are smart enough and read everything you can realize that what people claim and what the truth is, are two very different things in many cases.
Flag
Sep 16, 2014
nyc - yeah there was a big enough deal made the showrunners had to come out with an apology. It was obviously unfortunate timing yet in no way meant to minimize the real terror. Shame people can't apply some common sense and not see there was no reason to be offended. But ...this is our world.
Flag
Sep 16, 2014
nyc - yeah there was a big enough deal made the showrunners had to come out with an apology. It was obviously unfortunate timing yet in no way meant to minimize the real terror. Shame people can't apply some common sense and not see there was no reason to be offended. But ...this is our world.
Flag
Sep 16, 2014
Wow, I didn't hear anything about that. Hopefully no one makes a big deal about it, or thinks it was done intentionally. I agree with you about how easily offended people are nowadays, but I guess that's a discussion for another place.
Flag
Sep 14, 2014
it isn't funny, but that is social media reading more into something that isn't there and ignoring other things they should truly be concerned with, but that isn't a discussion for an entertainment site.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Great work Ed!
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Thank you love! Now if I could only hook you on this show!
Flag
Sep 13, 2014
Not gonna happen. If John Noble couldn't do it, no one can.
Flag
Sep 14, 2014
I really want that Walter Bishop spinoff. Now seriously - think this through. Who could do "Young Walter"? YOu would abvvs have John Noble playing his older self, but with flashbacks of the days with William Bell before Massive Dynamic. This is a pilot WAITING to happen with all the great inventions alluded to in FRINGE.

Who would you cast?
Flag
Sep 14, 2014
Effing fat fingers. 'You would OBVS have..."
Flag
Sep 13, 2014
Yeah you are absolutely right. He is very good - but the character of Walter is impossible to top
Flag
Sep 13, 2014
Look, it's not even that. Walter is a Fringe only character and the last thing I expect is for John Noble to act like Walter in his other work. He's a great actor but I'm just not sold that this role is for him. But that's because I personally don't think much of the show as a whole.
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Excellent work as usual. :-)
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
Too kind Too kind.

But don't stop!

LOL. Thank you Kerkesh! Awesome shows make it easy!
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
"We also get to meet an evil version of Groot." LOL :-D
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
I'm glad that joke landed! I was wondering if there were enough fellow sci-fi nerds out there to get that one!
Flag
Sep 12, 2014
:-D
Flag
Follow this Show
Members