A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

BIGGER ISN'T ALWAYS BETTER

... Fox has announced that it's expanding the second season of its super-mega-awesome hit series Sleepy Hollow. Instead of sticking with another cable-style, 13-episode run—which was partly credited for the show's success this past season—the network is looking at ordering 15 to 18 episodes for round two. That's definitely cause for concern, since it could potentially mean we'll see a decrease in quality or *gasp* filler episodes when the show returns in the fall. I'm willing to wait and see what kind of story the writers have planned, but someone should probably have Yolanda on standby, just in case we need help. [EW]

BUSINESS TIME

... Everyone please get out your color-coded "Witches on TV" directory and turn to the page marked Witches of East End, because the series is returning for Season 2 on Sunday, July 6 at 9pm. Now that the portal is open, look for darkness and a new stranger (Magic City's Christian Cooke) to arrive in town. [Lifetime via press release]

... ABC is bringing back NY Med, its reality series about what hospitals are really like. Contrary to popular Grey's Anatomy-fueled belief, there is not that much sex! Most of the action will take place in the operating rooms of Manhattan’s New York-Presbyterian Hospital, but the show will venture to Newark’s University Hospital's trauma wards, too. I don't know about you, but if I am gushing blood from a gunshot wound, I really don't want to be on TV. The series premieres Tuesday, June 24 at 10pm. [ABC via press release]

... TNT is moving up the premiere of its new drama Legends, starring Sean Bean, from Wednesday, August 20 at 9pm to Wednesday, August 13 at 9pm. I hear it's because the writers wanted to kill Bean's undercover FBI agent sooner. [TNT via press release]

... We hinted at this last week, but now it's official: Terry Crews will be the next host of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. He'll join the show beginning with Season 13 this fall. [ABC via press release]

... HBO has ordered two more seasons of its newsmagazine Vice, which is hosted by Shane Smith and currently in the middle of its sophomore season. The series prides itself on exploring today's most pressing issues. Season 3 will debut in 2015 with 14 episodes, while Season 4 is expected to debut sometime in 2016. [HBO via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... We all cried when Daniel Sharman announced he was leaving Teen Wolf (don't lie, you did and I saw it), but you can now stop worrying about where to get your next cheekbones fix, because the hunky former werewolf has joined Season 2 of The Originals as Kaleb, a witch who's intent on creating chaos and getting lucky. Apparently he's "deeply wounded by a horrific family upbringing and covers his emotional bruises with a wicked sense of humor, as well as a wicked temper." Let's just hope that horrific family upbringing did not include being locked in a freezer for half his life. [E! Online]

OTHER RECENT STORIES YOU MAY HAVE MISSED ON TV.COM

... It looks like Parks and Rec's Andy Dwyer has magical powers because there's a Power Rangers movie in the works (Oh yeah, and a new animated Flintstones film, too).

... NBC has renewed Law & Order: SVU for Season 16.

... Fox has canceled four of its freshman series, including the hilarious Enlisted and the not-so-hilarious Dads.

... TNT has ordered two new dramas, a supernatural show from Kyra Sedgwick and a 1960s cop show from Ed Burns.

... TBS has ordered three new comedies, including Steve Carell's Rashida Jones-fronted cop spoof and a workplace comedy from the creators of Will & Grace.

... My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has been renewed for Season 5.

... NBC has the broadcasting rights to the Olympics locked up tighter than the lid on a pickle jar, and it paid a sh*t-ton of money for them. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/8/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

99 Comments
Comments (99)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
FOX does a lot sports during the fall so 13 episode is fine. I prefer quality over quantity.
Flag
No offence, but I don't think that a few extra episodes always means a decrease in quality. I also don't think there's anything wrong with filler episodes, if they're done correctly. Shows like Supernatural and Stargate pretty much perfected the filler episode and some of my favorites are just that.

When I enjoy a show, I want as many episodes as possible. If the show is worth it's weight in salt, it should be able to deliver, but if it doesn't have enough gusto to make it through a full season, it shouldn't be on the air in the first place.

Just my humble opinion.

Flag
For me it depends on who wanted the bigger season. Was it the show runners of Sleepy hollow. Or was it fox. If it was the former then I think that they can do it no problem. In fact I think they can do it no problem. If there is a group of show runners and writers that I would trust to do a longer season, it is sleepy Hollow.

That at being said I would go for 18 and go for 9 on the front end and 9 on the backend. 15 just seems stupid.
Flag
I'm so happy Daniel Sherman is going to a show that I already like and not starting out on a show that I may have or may not have liked.
Hopefully its a big role, and he lasts a while there. His character already sounds like he's had a tortured past but is dealing with it better than Isaac did.
Either way I am happy!!! =D
Flag
Sigh. Fox is choosing quantity over quality. When will the broadcast networks learn?!
Flag
NO worries by this fan on 3 or 4 extra episodes. The subject matter is voluminous and we are getting Ben Franklin next season too.

any other News Briefs today:

Flag
I'm so, so excited about Danial Sharman coming to the Originals. That's all :D

Hopefully, with Sleepy Hollow, they will stick to the lower end of that 15-18 episode spectrum. I'm not too worried, though - at least they're not going for a full season order.
Flag
Ugh! When are major networks going to open their eyes and see that more isn't better. No season should be longer than 10 episodes (60 min) or 14 episodes (42 min). It's WAY too easy for writers to get off track when they've got extra time to fill. Even 3-4 more episodes means the inclusion of story arcs that wouldn't otherwise make the cut or (most often) stretching things out...which is no better. One need look no further than The Walking Dead to see what kind of negative effect a handful of extra episodes can have.

The day all networks adopt the BBC's model for Top Gear is the day television reaches perfect. 12-14 episodes separated into two 6-7 episode seasons twice per year. Perfecto!
Flag
15-18 episodes shouldn't be a bad thing. A full season, like 24 episodes would make me worry about filler eps.
Flag
I'm not worried about Sleepy Hollow. The writing crew did an amazing job on season 1 so I trust that they know what they're doing. Also, filler episodes are not always a bad thing.
Flag
Wow the title scared me, I thought they were going to expand it to 22-24 episodes. 15-18 isnt bad, I trust the writers of Sleepy Hollow. As long as FOX doesnt air them out of order we should be fine.
Flag
Yeah,I wonder how people here got jobs(and how some are still able to hold onto theirs). I bet 90% of people thought of 24 episodes,when they read super-sized.
Flag
okay everybody 2-5 more episodes is not that big of a deal!! U can add a secondary story which most continuing story arc's shows have and need!! now with that being said in all reality the 20-22+ episodes a season should be thing of the past!! 13-16 would be perfect granted their is one exception but I don't it will be an issue!! unless the next 9 or 10 weeks are huge depending on how FOX decides to do 24 LIve another Day!!!
Flag
There is no need whatsoever to extend the episode order of 'Sleepy Hollow'
13 episodes should have been enough. why does network TV constantly do this?
Flag
if it's a hit show,they wanna start milking that cow at double speed.
Flag
Exactly, that's the problem with network TV, as soon as a hit comes along they ruin it by adding more episodes to the original 13 order, filling it with pointless drivel that are gonna make the fans less interested.
Flag
I'm ok with more sleepy hollow. I love witches of eastend and can't wait until the next season. Issac I shed a tear when I heard he was no more in teen wolf I wanted a issac and argent team up next season but I can't always get what I want, at least I can see him on the originals it about time we get a male witch, and a fun crazy one at that.
Flag
I thought the whole point of Sleepy Hollow being renewed for 13 Episodes was so that - as the Fox Chief told us himself - the whole Season could air without breaks and finish before Christmas. Have Fox decided to go back on that promise and split the Season up or, which I'm really hoping for, are they simply going to begin and end the Season with a double-bill?

Flag
That would be spec-freaking-tacular if they did double episodes for the first and last. Somebody get on making that happen...STAT!
Flag
I am delighted that gorgeous creature is coming to The Originals, cos I really don't have time to watch Teen Wolf!!
Very happy Witches of East End is coming back so soon! It was good fun!
Flag
Witches of East End, any good?

Flag
oh hell yes it is!! not sure if I would call it Campy!!!
Flag
You'd be surprised, but this was actually damn awesome. Didn't watch until way later so binge-watched it and it is truly entertaining and makes you want more...and yes it's soapy and campy, but who cares when it's this good?
Flag
I have no probelm with Campiness, I need a break from all the darkness on TV anyways so I might give this a try.
Flag
Surprisingly good, quite campy, and the SFX aren't great, but good soapy fun. Certanly filled a void back in the autumn when Revenge was faltering!
Flag
IMO Revenge was never faltering
Flag
Fair enough, but you're in the minority there methinks. I will admit it's gotten an awful lot better, and these last six or seven episodes have actually been quite good!
Flag
Are you meaning to tell me Sleepy Hollow's 13-episode first season had no filler episodes? I only watched five, and three of them were filler. I was considering trying to get back into it, but this news makes me less inclined to do so.
Flag
Staff
Everything actually was pretty connected. Even things that you thought were filler episodes eventually tied together somehow.
Flag
I with Kaitlin here Slayerette. Some episodes may have had a self-contained feel - but EVERY ONE had nuggets in it crucial to the "Ah Ha" on the finale. It was a 13 ep serial arc done to perfection.

Is that why you stopped reviewing it? which... is cool. Just curious. I had a BLAST covering the 2-part finale. BUt I was ALL IN by that point as well.
Flag
So I'm guessing the general consensus is that I should watch it all before it returns then?
Flag
I don't like supernatural AT ALL, but Sleepy Hollow was hella entertaining! Up to you now man!
Flag
That may be the case @edshrinker. I'm not a fan of history in general, and as for Supernatural, it has its moments, but I don't love it.

However, there's enough people here tv.com whose opinion I just, so if so many of you think it's worth me sticking it out until the end of the first season, then I'll probably give it a go. And I guess if I'm not hooked after the finale then I can always just drop it.
Flag
Well - yes. But I have a very good friend that I swore would love it but just doesn't. I found out later she dislikes Supernatural too. Found out the whole apocalypse storyline wasn't her thing. And it helps with Sleepy Hollow if you are a fan of Revolutionary War history too.

It could be its just not your thing.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Sounds like you missed out there man. This is one of those seasons where you might think it's filler and give up, but you have to watch it all until the crazy finale.
Like Witches Of East End, I was late to the party (on purpose), and the binge-watch paid off big time aswell...
Flag
I have no problem with adding 2 to 5 episodes to the S2 of Sleepy Hollow. It's still going to be shorter than most shows out there. If they keep the same writers it shouldn't be problem. More Abbie and Ichabod sounds good to me. A heck of a lot more appealing than most shows out there.
Flag
That's bloody awesome, Even a filler episode of Sleepy Hollow will still be fantastic. Can't wait!
Flag
I'm okay with Sleepy Hollow's episode count, but could they have a mid-season break like Walking Dead? They should have 8 episodes in the fall and 8 episodes in the spring. It saves all the viewers from feeling anxiety for not having the show for too long.
Flag
I think adding more episodes to Sleepy Hollow is a bad idea, even with 13 they had a good bit of filler, I actually think they could shorten it by 1 or 2 episodes.

I hate to say it but Witches of East End was actually kind of good. campy but good. but it could be because I expected the opposite.

good for Daniel Sharman, but I'm sure he'll get killed off on that show since most of their characters do..

I thought the whole Andy and Power Rangers stuff was kind of stupid, if he wanted it that badly why didn't he already know the show has been going pretty much nonstop since it started?

glad Fox cancelled those shows, except Enlisted, should've kept that.. I honestly couldn't care less about yet ANOTHER cop show, no thanks. the Steve/Rashida show could be good though. Hub renewing My Little Pony isn't a surprise, it's not like they have that much original programming.
Flag
I'm not worried about the expanded episode count for Sleepy Hollow. Come on, does anyone really have a doubt that those writers won't do some stellar stories with MORE time? I think they're relish it and deliver some quality stories to us.
Flag
13 really worked for Sleepy Hollow, so add me to the worried but I'll wait and see camp (and cross my fingers for 15 max).
Flag
Daniel Sharman could have played Kol, if you look at him and think about it. He is British born and looks like a brother of Klaus - more so than the others do, actually. Then again, Nathaniel Buzolic does look more like Elijah, which makes more sense since they are full blood related.. I keep wishing the character could be resurrected in some way and it does not help that Vampire Diaries has had him on again to remind you and/or make you hopeful. Killing him off was the biggest hindsight mistake the powers-that-be made regarding this character. It might be cool if his witch character turns out to be related, or descended from, in some way to The Originals mother.
Flag
Mikael wants Davina to bring him back, maybe she'll mess up and bring back Kol instead. then CW can pass on that horrible Supernatural spinoff he's in!
Flag
I love Sleepy Hollow, so don't get me wrong. There are specific reasons why the sayings "Too Much of a Good Thing" & "Less is More" have continued to ring true for so many generations...I personally would rather the Network not try to fix what isn't broke by effin' with what's proven to be a good thing simply just because they know they have a good thing

Every.single.time a network has a show that enjoys a season in the sun & they choose to overexpose it, soon enough, the show & the fans just end up getting burned.
Flag
I have no problem with a few more episodes, so long that it's 15 max and they're shown all at once with no "break weeks." Sleepy Hollow's biggest weakness was the 2 to 3 week gaps toward the end of the season. VERY annoying.

Also, pertaining to your "filler" comment... what do you think the witch and sandman episodes were?
Flag
I agree there were definitely filler episodes during the season... but I personally don't see filler episodes as being a bad thing (unlike Kaitlin) as long as they bring something to the table. In this case it was character development (at least the sandman episode).

With that being said I think 15 episodes won't hurt the show. They have great writing and some amazing actors! I think they can handle at max that much.
Flag
Stick to the cable show method. Shorter seasons=better quality=more viewers. Longer seasons just dilute the storylines as stated. If Breaking Bad was 18 episodes a season, by the end of the show there would have been no story
Flag
I wish they would just leave Sleepy Hollow at 13 episodes. I was worried about this since it was a moderate hit for FOX and networks tend to do things like this assuming that more episodes = greater success.
Flag
I completely agree when it comes to Sleepy Hollow. I much rather enjoy a concise season than a lengthy, dragged storyline. BUT here's hoping it's still amazing!
Flag
So basically Sharman is staying on the same show in the same role, it's just all spelled slightly differently.

Man, he could actually go on to do something really good and film-y (sorry, all my beloved teen shows, but you know it's true) instead of this sidestep. Considering the lifespan of a witch on The Originals, though, I guess he'll still have plenty of time for that.
Flag
I'm waiting for the "Directed by Michael Bay" announcement regarding Power Rangers. Search your heart for your most beloved childhood TV series, and then despair, for he shall come to take it from you.

Flag
This. But it will be a level up if Michael Bay directs or that guy Bryan Singer.
Flag
Do you really think that would happen?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Through 2032.....*whistle* With this kind of unfair monopoly, NBC is becoming the Comcast of the Olympics. OH WAIT.....
Flag
Seriously people... Kaitlin and others, just because the show may have 15 to 18 episodes, you think the quality is going to automatically drop. There have been GREAT series that have had 22 episode seasons and not even the "filler" episodes of Sleepy Hollow this past season have really been fillers. You do not know what will happen and you are making assumptions based on nothing. For all you know the writers already have good plans in place and the season will be awesome.

Get over yourselves and the cable limited belief that seasons have to be short to be good. It makes you all look like fools.
Flag
"There have been GREAT series that have had 22 episode seasons and not even the "filler" episodes of Sleepy Hollow this past season have really been fillers." &~ this, right here? This would be your opinion. Not fact. Just as people who are saying "expanding the number of episodes is a bad idea" are expressing their opinions. And, as you so eloquently pointed out: "You do not know what will happen and you are making assumptions based on nothing." Because, really, you're doing the same thing by assuming an increase in episodes will be great.

So why don't you take your own advice and get over yourself.
Flag
actually i said that the writers could have good plans alreayd in place, i never assumed more episodes would be great for Sleepy Hollow and as for the other comment, yes, that is opinion, but some people are assuming that the show will die (not Kaitlin specifically in that case) just because there could be a few more episodes.
Flag
Staff
You must have missed the part where I said: "I'm willing to wait and see what kind of story the writers have planned." But my point is that Sleepy Hollow proved the shorter season works for its story, and that it could do what it needed in 13 episodes. Yes, many shows do great work in 22 episodes, but Sleepy Hollow doesn't need the extra episodes to prove it can do great stuff.
Flag
and for all you know, adding more episodes could show you even more of the craziness that made the show as good as it is. And while your willing to wait, others are already saying it is going to die without seeing a single episode or how the next seaosn will work.
Flag
I don't pretend to know what it's like to write a TV show for a living, but I DO know what it's like to collaborate a storyline with other writers over an extended period of time.
That said, I'm wise enough to understand that the staff writers have quotas & deadlines that historically work against them when the parameters of the the story they have in mind expands because of things decided on high beyond their control...best they can do is adapt to the situation & try their best to make every episode as good as it can be...but since we're talking about the reality of writing something day to day strictly according to a new network quota as opposed to what the writers had originally planned, it's only natural for the writers to string out their original plan by filling out the extra space with material that does little nothing more but (wait for it) fill time.

Hey. It's just a living when you really think about it
Flag
I am a writer, though I have not collaborated with anyone, so I understand that story telling is both fun and stressful at times. The writers may come through with grace or things could go wrong. we can only wait and see.
Flag
--"including the hilarious Enlisted"

WHAT?? You found humor in this show? I LOVED the lead in The Finder, but HATED this show. Sad, because it COULD have been great. The writing and directing wasted a LOT of great talent.
Flag
Now that Sleepy Hollow has more episodes, they have room for one of these episodes to be a backdoor pilot for an unrelated spinoff!
Flag
really people, we are talking about adding 2 shows at minimum and 5 at max... do you really think that's going to be a downfall or a detriment to a good quality written, surprise filled show? Seriously, get a clue .. please!!
Flag
That's the thing though, it isn't just adding a couple episodes. It starts with that, which leads to a prolonged airing schedule and then to a 24 episodes come season 3. By then it's your average filler filled crap that takes 9 months to air from start to finish and loses all creativity.
Flag
you're making an assumption that suddenly it will be 24 episodes in season 3 before season 2 even has a chance to prove itself.
Flag
well how about you actually watch season 2 before you make that assumption from a show that was done pretty much as well as it could have been in season 1 & then see what you think. Can't go making predictions from past shows.
Flag
And so begins the downfall of Sleepy Hollow. Shame on fox for being so greedy.
Flag
When's the last time a season that size really "worked"? If it's 20 episodes you can split it into 2 10 episode halfs, which can work. If it's 26 episodes you can split it into 13 episode halves. 15-18 is too big to not split because of filler, and too small to split. It's in an awkward middle place. Has anyone done it successfully?
Flag
Awkward hasn't worked with it's extended seasons, that's for sure.
Flag
So Daniel Sharman left Teen Wolf to join the Originals? I don't get it. That makes no sense...
Flag
Yeah, I thought he left to pursue new pilots, not jump to a sophomore season on The CW. Maybe he's just working his up the ladder, next up a failed NBC drama, then a failed (although very good) single camera comedy on CBS, then a should fail but somehow gets renewed soapy drama on ABC, then on to Fox for a semi-sci-fi cult hit that squeaks out two 13 episode seasons. After that Hollywood.
Flag
Why, one awesome show to another - what's wrong with that? And now there might be another witch other than Davina that is actually likeable in the TVD/TO universe.
Flag
Staff
Maybe he was tired of wearing scarves in California.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members