We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Sleepy Hollow S01E08: "Necromancer"

When I watched "Necromancer" for the first time, I was so engrossed in the story that at one point there might have actually been drool on my desk. So from now on, that's how I'm going to start judging the quality of a TV series: If you can make me sit with my mouth hanging open long enough that I've lost feeling in my jaw, then, uh, good job! That's pretty good stuff right there. But in all seriousness, "Necromancer" was a turning point for Sleepy Hollow. It was the second half of what probably would've been labeled as a two-parter back in the days when TV show's still did two-parters.

Last week, Abbie and Ichabod successfully captured the Headless Horseman with the help of the strongest UV lights on the open market and a Masonic hex that worked kind of like Supernatural's devil's trap, which makes sense because that idea came from the Lesser Key of Solomon, which we already saw at work on Sleepy Hollow anyway. And this week, after Abbie taught Ichabod how to fist bump (seriously, this show!) so they could congratulate themselves on a successful capturing, Sleepy Hollow decided that the next logical step in this weird supernatural buddy cop mash-up was for Ichabod to interrogate the Horseman while looking like the dashing Revolutionary soldier that he is. (Again, this show!)

Naturally, Captain Irving spoke for all of us when he pointed out the Horseman wouldn't be able to answer any of Ichabod's questions on account of being headless—and therefore mouthless—but that was fixed with a simple throwaway line about Evil John Cho being a necromancer, which meant that he could speak to/for the dead. It was awfully convenient that Abbie and Ichabod had a dead guy with such an ability running around in their tunnels, but I love every second that John Cho is on screen, especially now that it looks like his character Andy is conflicted over which side he serves. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

During Ichabod's interrogation, it was revealed the Horseman was in possession of a necklace that once belonged to Katrina, and thus began more fun exposition in the form of a flashback. As it turns out, Ichabod had chosen the necklace as a gift for Katrina back when she was engaged to another man, his best friend Abraham "Brom" Van Brunt. (I had wondered when this character would be brought into the story, and now we know.) Katrina, of course, did not marry Brom, breaking off her engagement (which had been arranged for her anyway) and choosing Ichabod. *fist bump* Ike's got game, y'all! And he wasn't even trying. In fact, he was actively insisting that Katrina not leave her fiance for him. Luckily Katrina was like, "Yeah, no, you're an idiot. I'm going to leave him and marry you and then get trapped in purgatory while you're destined to fight Brom forever because he sold his soul to Moloch and is now the Headless Horseman." 

Well, it didn't go exactly like that, but after Ichabod stupidly informed Brom that Katrina had ended her betrothal to Brom by picking Ike (if we're looking for an inciting incident, I think we just found it), it was time for a good old-fashioned duel! Whichhhhh Ichabod wanted no part of. Seriously, where did this guy come from? Sometimes he's too noble for his own good. 

After Brom was shot by the Hessians and Ichabod skedaddled in order to keep what was basically the first draft of the Declaration of Independence out of enemy hands, Ichabod assumed Brom had died, but in actuality, the Hessians went full-on What Not to Wear on him, giving him new clothes, a new haircut, and branding him. He sold his soul to Moloch before he died in order to get revenge on Ichabod, which takes this mythology to a whole new level and explains why the Horseman didn't immediately hightail it out of Sleepy Hollow (well, that, and the fact he needs his head in order to bring about the apocalypse). He's on a mission. And that mission is to destroy Ichabod and claim Katrina's soul when the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse ride together. Her soul is his prize, his reward for defeating Ichabod once and for all. 

This is a very interesting turn of events for the series' mythology. Even though Ichabod has successfully severed the blood bond that tied him to the Horseman, he's still inextricably linked to him through his past, present, and future. So let this be a life lesson to you all: Don't go stealing your best friend's boyfriend/girlfriend, otherwise they will become an immortal being and you'll be locked in a fight to the death for centuries. (And you thought this show was just about supernatural buddy cops!)

I wondered where the series was going to go after Abbie and Ike captured the Horseman in Episode 7, and even though I knew there was no way they'd hold him for long (as it turned out, they probably should've had the foresight to pick up some generators, since electricity is fickle and also really easy to shut off), I don't know that I ever entertained the idea of learning the Headless Horseman's origin story in Episode 8. But I loved that turn of events, and it was part of the reason I was so enthralled by "Necromancer." Leave it to Sleepy Hollow to humanize a character like the Headless Horseman, who's just as skilled with an automatic weapon as he is with an ax. I don't feel bad for him in any way, shape, or form, but he's not just an embodiment of all evil anymore. He's not just Death. He was a human being once—which to be honest, surprised me for some reason—and he was a human being who Ichabod knew well.

Sleepy Hollow isn't introducing anything new with this revelation; we know that evil isn't just born, but can be created. However, the idea that the Headless Horseman—who is, for all intents and purposes, Death—was born from the desire for revenge... that's definitely an interesting addition to the mythology. You always think of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse as existing outside the realm of humanity, like the devil himself is bigger than the world we inhabit, and it's possible there was a Horseman of Death before him and Brom took over in that moment in the woods with Moloch and the Hessians, but right now, Brom is the Headless Horseman, and the Headless Horseman is Brom. I'm inclined to believe that if Brom succeeded in killing Ichabod and claiming Katrina's soul, his duty would be completed and the role would transfer to someone else, like a very screwed-up family heirloom being passed down from generation to generation. But it's also possible that wouldn't happen at all, and that would mean the apocalypse would never come, which might explain Moloch's hesitation at seeing Ichabod dead.

I'm only speculating, of course, but the fact that Sleepy Hollow has chosen to go down this road is exciting. Ichabod blames himself, believing he created his own arch enemy by falling in love with and marrying Katrina. And this revelation has given the series a new sense of purpose. This is no longer just a war against evil; it's personal now. And if Supernatural has taught me anything, it's that the more personal the story, the more involved our protagonists are, and the more emotional it will be. And that's definitely the case here.

"Necromancer" was a great episode, guys. It answered as many questions as it created, but it set up the rest of the season and I've actually never been more excited for a new episode. Like, can I just sleep until next Monday? Because that's what "Necromancer" did to me. We know who the Headless Horseman is and what he wants, and because of that, we know his weakness. But at the same time, Abbie and Ichabod are still playing a game that's far larger than either of them realize. Moloch doesn't want the Horseman to kill Ichabod (at least not yet), and Andy isn't taking too kindly to being Moloch's butt monkey. He sold his soul, and he has to do whatever Moloch orders him to do, but he still has enough of a conscience that he regrets those actions—that's why he told Abbie that he didn't want to remove the Freemason's hex, which is why the Horseman was able to attack Ichabod, but he had no choice in the matter. This is just another example of the series surprising me with its complicated storytelling, and I have to say, I don't hate it. But we still don't know exactly what Moloch really wants, and I wonder if we'll even figure that out this season. We still have five episodes left, and if they're all as good as "Necromancer," if they're all as focused and fun as "Necromancer" was, then I'm seriously going to need to invest in a bib in order to keep the drool off my shirt. 

*fist bump*

FROM THE SHERIFF'S FILES

Decapitations this week: 0

– Things that confused Ichabod this week: Fist bumps! "Makes no sense," he said.

– In case you didn't notice, that opening scene was 15 minutes long. Yes. 15. Minutes. Long. God bless, Sleepy Hollow.

– Where did the Horseman, Evil John Cho and the masters of darkness go?

– How awesome has Captain Irving become in the span of a few episodes? 

– Jenny was back this week since she's out of the psychiatric hospital now, but sometimes I wonder whose side she's actually on. There's something about her that just makes me go, "Yeahhh, I could see you being evil." This probably stems from watching too many supernatural shows where people double-cross each other all the time, but I'm gonna keep my eye on you, Jenny.

– "Of course, everyone in Tarrytown Psychiatric can read 16th century Druidic scripture!" is basically the way Jenny acted upon having found the box in the back of Adams' store. And now I'm just imagining a Sleepy Hollow/Mean Girls mash-up in which the Headless Horseman is Regina. (Help me?)

– The wrong way in the tunnels gag reminded me of something Supernatural would do, or something that Buffy the Vampire Slayer would do, which automatically means I want to marry this show.

– Irving: "Dead guy, mental patient, and a time-traveler from the Revolution..." Abbie: "That's our team."

– "I neither wanted, nor did I invite, 'game.'"

What did you guys think of "Necromancer"? Did you drool? It's okay if you did, I promise I won't tell anyone (I'll tell everyone).

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/8/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

114 Comments
Comments (114)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
After watching this episode on hulu, I realized why I walked away from the series back when. I keep wondering dammit when are they going to integrate him into modern times and change his clothes for crying out loud. If I was the horseman or one of Moloch's cronies and I was looking for crane I would just pick out the only guy on earth dressed as a revolutionary. Does this mean that if crane wore one of those stupid wigs like his buddy Abraham, that he would be walking around with one too. I'd think he would be getting awkward stares and even some people laughing at him, let alone take him seriously, dressed liked that. Come on man at least try to blend in a little.

I wish cinema sins would do commentaries on TV shows. All the stupid things non crazy people aka sane individuals wouldn't have done in if in these situations... Andy warned them don't take him to horseman because it was going to be BAD. I mean headless horseman was bound to break free at some point which I mean they caught the a-hole with fluorescent light bulbs, which I guess makes him kind of like gizmo (the mogwai from gremlins), but still they run the risk of bringing a guy who is already dead and made to serve the horseman into the area just so they could have a chat with him. Listen, interrogations don't work very well if the person your interrogating is death itself. Its not like they had some kind of magical amulet or incantation that was going to compel him to talk. All it really turned into was a stick measuring competition between Ichabod and the horseman and it seemed like the horseman was winning. Another thing to, if Andy was trying to warn them, why didn't he just say, hey guys I got this thing everyone is looking for and if you take me to the horseman, it'll be bad because then I gotta release him. On the other hand, Andy belongs to Moloch so wouldn't Moloch know Andy is becoming a turncoat. Flash forward, Andy is saying the ritual to release the horseman and Ichabod has the nerve to blame Andy for the horseman's release... Really??? Andy said something BAD was going to happen (albeit Andy could have disclosed the amulet hidden in his body) but hey he did warm them and they did it anyway. I'm on board with the statement made, why the hell wouldn't they have or rig generators? There is always the potential for a blackout, especially when everything around you was wired in the late 1700s. Come on it feels like these writers aren't even trying. Where's the quality control for crying out load. Awesome premise, terrible writing.

One last rant about this episode. Why in God's name would Ichabod tell his friend Abraham that his girl has a thing for him. That's a serious asshole thing to do, when he's clearly distraught. That's flat out rubbing it in his face after he just had his heart broken. Forget the whole don't steal your buddy's girl. If your going to do it be discreet and for god's sake man do you really gotta bring it up during a secret mission when your in enemy territory. Worst timing ever. I mean they could have discussed it, oh don't know, anytime after would have been fine. These were the guys entrusted to deliver our nation's rough draft of our declaration of independence, fighting over a girl like prepubescent boys.
More+
Flag
The origins of the Headless Horseman had never really occurred to me either. I suppose I thought he hatched out of an evil egg somewhere. But the twist that he is Ichabod's best friend and they had a few issues to work out before Abraham's untimely un-death is very interesting and surprising. Yes, Captain Irving has become quite awesome of late. I think he's handling everything that's happened rather well, better than Walter Skinner on the X-Files at least.

"I neither wanted, nor did I invite, 'game.'"= you kinda did. But to be fair, the mere fact of Ichabod's existence in Katrina's sphere of friends made her attraction to him a possibility from day one.
Flag
I like how they took them time to set up Abraham, introduce him slowly thorugh flashbacks and then shock us by showing he was the headless horseman. Oh wait, they didn't. Bad storytelling.
Flag
haha Love this review Kaitlin, Have always enjoyed all your reviews but this one with the drooling description killed me lol I agree it was an awesome episode and your reference to Supernatural even makes it better because I also love that show. Keep up the good work.
Flag
Another great episode and the story behind the headless horseman was unexpected and awesome.
Flag
Captain Irving? NO that's more like Captain BADASS...Orlando Jones character awareness has freaked me out to headless proportions!! What could have been the usual doubting /disbelieving captain role has turned into something so much more!! Go Team Hollow! This episode was just as awesome as last weeks.. Grade=A- Hollow Points (1) I couldn't give an A this week because the show went to the old *this time its personal* route!
Really writers!!! DEATH is his best friend!! Really?!?! I should call "contempt of court" but i'm going to allow this storyline to continue because these last 2 episodes been as smooth as Headless Decapitation!!!
Flag
Great review!! .....and yes I'm still drooling!! This show is so exciting, smart, and fast paced with tons of dry wit that it could easily spoil me. Already, watching other shows after Sleepy Hollow makes my eyes glaze over and my mind wander. I love the intelligent, witty one liners from Ichabod. Great line this episode, Captain Frank Irving, “I can hardly believe Jefferson foresaw holding a headless man prisoner.” Ichabod, “He foresaw holding the worst kind of demons that may walk the earth; a product no doubt of his years trying to reason with the French.”
Flag
Ichabod should add fist bumping to his repertoire
Flag
when I first saw the teasers for this series I thot ewww 'shudder' NOT going to watch it but then as it got closer the Pilot I thot mehh - why not look,...so glad I did! I couldn't quite fathom how they'd keep the Horseman arc going but am I pleasantly surprised with the over all story - Great leads, interesting characters and lots of extra fun bits. Way to go! I was hooked from the Pilot and glad I hung in there- what a cast!
Flag
The horseman was a human originally. Now it makes sense that he can (headlessly) handle a automatic & shotgun with ease. Thanks for almost making it slightly more believable Sleepy Hollow. Seriously though, I love this show.
Flag
I'm taking vision sheriff's word that we can trust Jenny.
Flag
Wow, so the headless horseman had a backstory wich involved broken hearts, betrayal, revenge and selling your soul to the devil, cool! it's like soap opera but even more awesome!
Damn I love it when Abbie teaches new stuff to Ichabod.
Jenny does strike me like "I'll backstab you guys" I mean she did seem like totally awed at the headless horsemen dashing figure.
Oh, Katrina poor you in purgatory while two guys fight over you and you can't talk about it with your girlfriends!!

Flag
I was kind of losing my enthusiasm about the show, but the last 2 episodes where amazing! The true identity of the horsemen was kind of given from the beginning, but this 2 episodes story arc were the best by now. Definetly one of the best and surprise new shows on television right now.
Flag
Kaitlin,

Enjoyed the review. Of course the writers are clueless about Westchester County - the power goes out here every time there's a wind storm - one would think Abbie would have considered that before imprisoning the Horseman of the Apocalypse in a 'electrified bondage device' (Um, Ichabod...just so you know...we may need a thing called backup generator). Still, a fun romp and the whole Brom backstory was engaging, and original.

Those naughty Hessians though...getting a bad rap! They seem awfully like Nazi skinheads...

-Robert
www.wyvernfalls.com
Flag
So it's all Katerina's fault? Also, was she a witch when she received the necklace as a gift? I don't know, While I totally share that this was a tremendous episode; the scenes with Katerina just do not convince me.
Flag
The last two weeks of Sleepy Hollow have really rejuvenated my interest in the show. The storyline is coming together really nicely, there's no monster of the week nonsense, and the characters on both sides of the confrontation are showing more depth. Great stuff!
Flag
So how cool is Captain Irving? He is fast becoming my favourite character on this show. And now I'm really worried that they will kill him off or turn him evil. I thought Jenny and Irving were going to have more of a mission/time together in this episode, and I would have been happy to watch that. It says a lot about a show when the secondary characters can hold their own. I love what they have done with Andy too. I think Andy might be in love with Abbie. He warned off her ex, and he seems to be looking out for her in his own dead souless way.
The pace of this show is great (again beneffitting from a 12 episode season). It's hard to believe that was only episode 8 in the first season, I feel like I've know these characters for 250 years (in a good way).
Flag
I knew Steve, although I guess we will have to change his name to Abraham now, would not stay in that cell very long. Although, I did think it would be a little longer then one episode.
Flag
I don't know about you, but I'm sticking with Steve, or "Stephen Van Brom" in a formal context as needed :)
Flag
John Cho is Moloch's butt monkey?!? - most excellent turn of the phrase.
*fist bump* for Kaitlin - great summary.
I watched the SH pilot after seeing the previews and saying to myself 'no way they can do this right' and after the pilot I was hooked on the amazing quality of the show, the plot, acting, characters, sets,,,, all of it very well done. And then this episode which hit a new peak of suspense, action, plot, humor,,,,, all I can say is WOW.
Flag
Staff
Haha, it's not exactly the right phrase for what Andy is to Moloch or the show, but it just seemed to flow so I kept it.
Flag
Great episode but seriously, when your containment of a supernatural horseman of the apocalypse hinges on electricty, how do you NOT have a stack of generators and barrels of fuel at the ready??

then when the power DOES go out, how does it NOT turn into a mad dash to go GET a generator??

also, was it seriously the right time to drop the bombshell about Katrina to her new ex-fiance? wouldn't it have been better to pull him aside and just say "Ok bud, we're on like the most vital of missions, keep your head in the game and afterwards I'll sit down with you and help you puzzle it out.." THEN AFTER the missions done break it to him?

Seriously, love this show but the generator issue was bad enough... tighten up on the writing, have generators and make it so the demon things disable them at the right time then boom, freed horseman.
Flag
My thoughts exactly. I mean, I guess being underground like that would be a PITA to setup a generator that didn't asphyxiate everyone with carbon monoxide since it has nowhere to go. Since a really really long exhaust pipe / hose would kind of defeat the purpose of "hidden underground base within a maze"

But yeh... get boat batteries or SOMETHING.
Flag
Yeah... you're depending on electricity to keep a horseman of the apocalypse contained.. how is every sort of electrical back up NOT your biggest priority?? they should have had redundant lights, power etc. instead they depend on an easily collapsible situation that a good thunderstorm could have endangered. I wouldn't even worry about the exhaust considering it could be started when needed then left, go back with oxygen mask to refill or turn off when the powers back. or they could have set it up it in one of those unused rooms and sealed it so the catacombs weren't completely polluted... that entire set up just struck me as impossibly dumb.
Flag
Love love love this episode, and Ichabod and yes, I want to marry the whole show, too. Loved the fist bump scene, and Ichabod doesn't have to INVITE game, he just makes it happen by standing there and being Ichabod. *sighs*
Flag
Okay, I have to say it: Andy Brooks is officially my favorite Walking Dead.
Flag
Between this and Almost Human, I definitely needed a mop for all that drool Lol. Fox Mondays are amazing!! Kind of sad we only have a few episodes left for Sleepy Hollow, although I do enjoy the whole "we have no time for crappy fillers" vibe they got going on.

This episode was sooo good. Irving was kicking ass and taking names. About 2 or 3 episodes ago I thought they were going to kill off Orlando Jones. I'm glad that didn't happen because it allowed him to turn on the badass. Jenny gave me bad vibes too. I don't think she would actually turn on her sister, but maybe if she was possessed? Moloch was haunting her in the insane asylum after all...Crane and Abbie's chemistry continues to great. Fist Bump scene was so funny.
Flag
This show inspires affection from me. It's funny and interesting. I look forward to seeing more.
Flag
I think this show and I are going steady since it came back from hiatus, those three weeks were brutal but we made it and now we're going to the season finale together.
Flag
It was a good job with the horseman in this episode. Just because Jenny is more open to the supernatural than her sister does not make her evil. Just because she's part of the gang I don't expect her to be happy go lucky and not still be pissed at her sister for leaving her behind. That kind of tension needs a few fights to work out. Abbie and her sister still have a lot to work out. What I really didn't see coming was Jenny and Captain!
Flag
Staff
Oh, I agree with you. I don't think she's evil. But I quite enjoy the fact that I can't really get a read on her. It's exciting.
Flag
Yep, that was a great episode. The pacing is really well done. The show just seems really polished -- doesn't feel like a new show.
Flag
I love this show! I love the characters! I love the actors! I love the costumes and the sets! Hell, I love everything! But after Necromancer, I understand why I love this show, It is a really, really, really good story! I, like Kaitlin, and other droolers, was absolutely mesmerized by this week's episode. How can you not enjoy an episode of television that has two (two!) fencing duels? Come on! Are you kidding me? If I don't stop I just might lose control.

The old, oops, it's not this way, it's this way is used quite a bit on Warehouse 13, as well.

And can anyone tell me why Katrina is signaling a touchdown at the start of the opening credits?

Thanks.
Flag
i studied kendo - Asian swords - with a great Sensei, and watched college fencing matches at Notre Dame, and I can say for certain that those guys are serious students of the sport/discipline; the saber duels were very well done. Not quite Erroll Flynn, but damned close.
Flag
I get the feeling the producers and actors on this show want everything to appear as authentic as possible. And I loved the relish that Tom Mison brought to the encounters.
Flag
after seeing the duels, I was sure he was an Aussie, because their acting schools are heavy with stunt work, including fights and fencing; but he is from Jolly Old........... so I don't know where he got the skill.
Flag
Maybe formal theatre training in England?
Flag
Random thought, so, I think I read the Legend of Sleepy Hollow in like, somewhere between 4th and 6th grade. While I know it is only 18 pages long (which likely means I sat on the library floor and read it), I haven't bothered to read it again. And apparently I sort of forgot a bit of it (in my head I also get it confused with the Rip Van Winkle story that I know I read when I was seven - this is why I don't know a lot of the fairy tales on OUAT), but Brom there reminded me. I remember thinking he was playing a prank on Ichabod to run him out of town and laughing about it. And that the whole Headless Horseman thing was silly. And then, I swear some cartoon version of it I saw a bit later (maybe Disney?) seemed to confirm this version of events to me.
Flag
As far as I can recall... the story wasn't complete fiction written by the author... only based on various legends of headless horsemen.

It wasn't an adaptation of an actual Tarrytown legend of an actual guy that either guy chased by a demon or punked by a jerk.

But maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.
Flag
Yeah, I did notice the opening scene was 15 minutes long. I assumed they weren't going to bother with the credits. It's silly enough when they come in after 8 minutes.

Bringing Irving into the fold for real was a good decision. Apparently we're going to meet his ex, too. Someone must have got the memo that he was a boring stick in the mud and Orlando Jones is capable of better than he was being offered.
Flag
Agreed. He was so badass in this episode too. Especially when he took at that guy who tried to sneak up on him.
Flag
This show is so fun. Poor John Cho!
Flag
Neil Jackson! I don't care what anyone says - I loved Blade: The Series and love seeing Neil Jackson in things, even if they're one-time roles (though recurring guest star would be nice...oh well). I was sold when I saw his name in the guest star list at the beginning (seriously..I may have squealed a little), and it only got better from there. This episode was fantastic and did a lot to advance the characters. Jenny is really smart AND tough. Irving is AWESOME. Abbie is logical and smart and tough. Ichabod is fiery and reactive underneath his outwardly calm demeanor. Loved it. And I actually felt bad for John Cho's character - he's so conflicted between what he wants to do (be helpful) and what he's being instructed (forced?) to do.
Flag
I've been a fan of Sticky Fingaz since the days of Onyx, but I didnt like the production on blade. Not that my opinion amounts to the smallest hill of beans. I had high hopes for that show.
Flag
It wasn't fantastic by any means, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, so much so that I got the DVD. Plus, Ramin Djawadi did the music :D
Flag
So good, loved the sword fights. And I agree Jenny might be evil
Flag
I was thinking that too when they kept saying someone would release the Hex. I was thinking it would be her. I didn't expect John Cho until a little later.
Flag
I was lucky enough to see Tom Mison on London's West End and was so impressed with him even then (i.e. I thought he was really fit). So glad to have him on my screen on a weekly basis (and very pleasantly surprised with his comic timing) for really he is the only reason why I keep entertaining what is an otherwise mediocre show (although it's definitely growing on me).

I think this episode and the sin eater were definitely the strongest of the season I am however am getting very tired of Katrina's character. Since she is not occupying the main characters' world the repeated and insistent mentions of her with her somehow making her way into every story line feel very forced and bothersome. It would have been better for her to be a guest star rather than a series regular. One can only hope she'll return briefly to life to help them defeat the horseman and then disappear at the end of the season never to return in any shape way or form.
Flag
That's how I feel. Just because she's in the credits welcoming the fog doesn't mean she's a regular. Hopefully it'll get better with the next episode. She seems much more involved.

She reminds me of Peach from Mario. Just because your job is to save her, doesn't mean she actually matters. It's really about defeating Bowser, collecting coins and mushrooms lol.

Flag
Altough I was reluctant to watch it when the show first started, it has become a must see every week, and I already think of how empty my weeks will be when the first season ends. And now about this episode, when they started introducing Abraham and Ike's relation to him, there was a voice in the back of my mind saying "Oh, so he's the Horseman"! but I kind of let it go cause the show was so captivating, and when they indeed revealed that Brom was the Horseman, I went "I knew it"! :) Anyway love the show, love your reviews Kaitlin, and especially your constant mentions of Supernatural, it being my fave show and all. :)

Flag
Things that *should* have confused Ichabod this week
1) Generators
2) How Brom Steve is now a head taller than Ichabod even without his (Steve's) head after being a head shorter than Ichabod *with* his (Brom's) head
3) That when the Captain levelled up last week it was a total level in Badass.
Flag
Not a bad episode. Headless horseman is always fun. Wait, what happened the guy and the horse earlier? I like the episode's ending. Aww, next week's is totally different.
Flag
My take was that it intentionally went to find Hessians as reinforcements to help free the horseman.
Flag
I was wondering that too. I felt like the horse should have been outside attacking the police or something.
Flag
Or attack underground to get its master. ;)

The show/series better answer that soon!!
Flag
*fist bump*

Yep, this episode was just full of layered awesomeness. There's really nothing more that I can add to the conversation.
Flag
Wow, things are really starting to take off now. This was the perfect time for the supporting cast to take center stage. I like how they drew a connection between Katrina and The Horseman. Betrayal and spurned affection,. No wonder the horseman's so pissed,. I sure didnt see that coming. The "Minions of Moloch" came off like super ninjas; I bet their mythology will be interesting too.
Flag
So the Headless Horseman has a real name... but DAMMIT, I'm gonna keep calling him Steve. I'm gonna say that when Brom made the deal with Moloch to become the Horseman, Moloch wrote in his contract that he must legally change his name to Steve. I can just see him, all Emperor Palpatine, saying in a dark, dark voice: "Rise, Steve, the Hoseman of Death, and ride with Gary, Bill, and Frank."
Flag
so,,,, Gary Busey, Bill Macey, and Frank Langella?!?

Flag
Almost Human already broke that record with an EIGHTEEN-minute first act last night, which made me wonder if Fox had cut one of their ad breaks to increase the length of their shows recently. That was a nice delusion to have for a little while.
Flag
I'm still traumatized by the robromance talk about testicles on Almost Human last night. Ouch.
Flag
Didn't Fox make a big deal about shortening commercial breaks when they first released Fringe? I feel like they did. Maybe they're continuing that with both of these dramas.
Flag
Weren't there more commercials later on in the hours? I just skip them so I wouldn't know. Haha!
Flag
Maybe they deliberately extend the first act so they don't have to speedball towards the end of the show. Also it would seem that people are likely to stay put, if they're enthralled with the first act. Something easier to accomplish with a longer opening act.
Flag
I don't normally curse but fuck that was good.

The the speed at which this show runs is astonishing. You look up at the clock and there is ten minutes left and you can only remember the show and nothing else. And you're pissed that there is only ten minutes left.

The show is just purely entertaining. Making Brom/Steve the horseman was genius.
Flag
I hate it when they put the good parts at the end of each episode for ANY shows!
Flag
From Quaker farmgirl to the 18th century version of my fair lady, while being a witch all along... so who the hell is Katrina Crane, anyway?

Kudos to Ichabod for following Bro code - he had feelings for the girl, but he still tried to be true to his friend... BUT, why did he have to tell him about Katrina loving him? Of course, It's great for him, unloading his guilt about being the cause of their breakup, but it definitely SUCKED for his buddy! How the hell did he expect Brom to react? "Ouch... it hurts a lot hearing about it, Ich, but thanks, dude, for being so honest!" Really, Crane!? Dummy. Righteous, naive dummy.

Anyway, as soon as it was obvious the masked redmen weren't about to kill Abraham, I knew he was the horseman. Nice twist, though. Kinda makes you wonder if the other horsemen also have human counterparts. And I also totally get your reservations about Jenny, Kaitlin - her coming back to the Cap a few seconds before the whole power-plant went 'boom'... very convenient. I'm not buying she would actually sell out her own sister, regardless of their trust issue, but she's definitely a wild card. Got to keep an eye on her, for sure.

SH is really one of the rare TV shows on broadcast networks that can surprise me every single week (out of the top of my head, the only other series in that category is Person of Interest), so I have no clue what the heck's gonna happen next week. Obvi, the plan is to get Mrs Crane out of purgatory, but, since the dynamic duo themselves pretty much admitted they were out of their depths at the ending of this episode, I really do not know how they will pull off this latest magic trick. I know this, though: the only thing better than one 18th century character being puzzled by the 21th century is TWO of them. So let's break out Katrina already!
More+
Flag
I was wondering that same thing about Katrina... my impression was she was fairly "common" when we saw them meet for the first time. And here... it seemed she was a bit higher on the social ladder. Perhaps not rich herself, but definitely more than some common woman. UNLESS she was a spy and she was undercover in meeting flashback.
Flag
Brom said something near the end about financially providing for her and her family. Maybe she's all dressed up because he was buying her nice dresses - in addition to nice jewelry. Maybe he picked her because she was pretty even though she was beneath his social class.
Flag
Ya the rich betrothed Katrina threw me because I thought we saw her first meeting with Ichabod and she was a Quaker nurse? She was either moonlighting as the Quaker or she was later pretending to be the aristocrat? The Quaker must come first in the timeline, that was definitely their first meeting with Ichabod when she came in to the room when he was to interrogate Arthur Bernard.
Flag
Re: Ichabod telling Brom -

Ike was trying to tell Brom not to be so upset because 1. he didn't have strong feelings for Katrina and 2. Katrina didn't reject Brom because there was something wrong with him, she just liked Ike. Like I don't eat my mother's chocolate cheesecake not because I dislike her cooking but because I'm allergic to chocolate.

Also thanks to your opening comment I now need a Katrina backstory episode like five minutes ago.
Flag
Very good episode. Revealing Crane's best friend as the headless horseman was quite the game-changer like you mentioned. This is not just about saving the world from the four horseman now; it also involves saving his wife Katrina, who we no know possibly can be rescued from her purgatory!! Love that twist!! The fact that it's his best friend whom he has to defeat makes this show all the more sweeter.

I don't think Jenny is some looming evil. I think when it comes to anyone, at times including her sister, she's just very antagonistic. She has a big "Don't trust anybody" vibe going on most of the time. However, Cho is an interesting case. I do feel he regrets what he does because he can't help it, but just seeing him go behind Abbie and Ichabod's back time and time again is getting to be a bad habit. At some point, they may have to cut the cord, when it comes to him, which is unfortunate.
Flag
When the minions were summoned and looked like vampire thingies, I was like WTF. But a few seconds later, I'm cool with it. That's how Sleepy Hollow has an effect on me. It just suspends my disbelief and make me BELIEVE!
Flag
Kaitlin, I'm with you, I love and want to marry this show. As long as it doesn't mind that I'm also married to Supernatural and Teen Wolf, then we are in good shape and should live a long and happy life together.
Flag
Staff
I am also in deeply committed relationships with Supernatural and Teen Wolf (did you see that Stiles teaser today?), so Sleepy Hollow is just going to have to deal with it.
Flag
Yes, I saw the teaser and got so ridiculously excited. If this is what we can expect from the next half of the season, then 3B is looking fabulous!!!
Flag
I was so surprised when the theme credits or whatever popped up. I just figured we were in that stretch where the show just went forward. Randomly...does this show have an awesome song to recap the season like Supernatural or does it do the silly Grimm thing (like apologize for a to be continued or you ain't seen nothing yet in lieu of tbc).

I am impressed with how coherent I guess this story is. Like I wasn't actually questioning why HH was still around other than his head. I figured Sleepy Hollow was the site of the final battle or whatever. Are you sad he has a name now so can no longer be Steve?

Um I wasn't suspicious of Jenny until you brought that up.
Flag
Staff
I am very sad, but I think I'm still going to call him Steve.
Flag
Can we retire fist bumping now?
Flag
Yes, give me a fist bump.
Flag
In case you didn't notice, that opening scene was 15 minutes. Yes. 15. Minutes. Long. God bless, Sleepy Hollow.
God bless you tv.com. I actually texted my friend at 8:16 to comment on the opening credits airing at quarter after.
Flag
It surprised me. I guess I was so into the show that I hadn't realized that the credits hadn't yet played
Flag
It was so far in that I actually found it distracting. I was suddenly checking the clock instead of thinking about the story. I think they should go to an abbreviated version of the credits, put in at the very beginning. That way you get the acknowledgements out of the way so we can focus on the story.
Flag
Other show/series should do this. Make it random or skip them! I remember when ABC did its Alias pilot that had NO commercial breaks! It was amazing!
Flag
Good episode! Expected the reveal, but it was very well done! However, if they do bring Katrina to life then I seriously hope it doesn't wreck the Ichabbie dynamic, and no I'm not talking about shipping wise. Mostly everyome can agree that Tom and Nicole's chemistry is the main driving force for the show right? So if Ichabod's reunited with his wife, all I'm saying is that I hope Abbie isn't going to be playing sidekick to those two because I will be pissed and I feel the show would lose its charm (along with my attention) rather fast. As long as they don't go down that route I'm good! Keep doing what you do Sleepy Hollow! And are we calling Headless Abraham now instead of Steve? Lol
Flag
Give Steve name to the horse. I know of a horse name Steve. ;)
Flag
I dont see Katrina and Ichabod reuniting for a while, and if they do it won't be permanent. Their reunions will likely be time-constrained and recurring. At least for a while.
Flag
Staff
Never! Long live Steve!
Flag
Moloch: Yes, Abraham, by accepting this Mark you legally change your name to Steve!
Flag
*drool* from both sides of my mouf.

So thrilled to have a show that is so tightly scripted, fun, intense, and feels like there is a planned arc from start to finish (I'm looking at you LOST). I have total faith they know exactly where they are going by episode 13 (sniff).
Flag
But what about future seasons? Will they keep the story up? Shorter seasons might be better.
Flag
You are so right. This is better then having to have shite filler episodes. Just sad to see it go in January. Had absolutely zero interest in The Following. I don't want my Mondays messed with now! I have gotten greedy.
Flag
I know! I just realized how awesome Mondays could be while watching Almost Human and Sleepy Hollow back to back. And now, they're not ruined per say but....they're just not as good.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members