A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Sleepy Hollow S01E09: "Sanctuary"

Ichabod Crane, you are the father! 

"Sanctuary" was yet another fantastic hour of Sleepy Hollow, and it introduced even more questions regarding the series' complicated mythology while hinting at why Ichabod Crane and Abbie Mills' fates are entwined. Their history goes back much further than just the few weeks (months?) since Ichabod woke up from his 200-year-long dirt nap. As it turns out, in a wonderfully fun reveal, Katrina was pregnant at the time of Ichabod's death, and she gave birth to a son shortly thereafter. The baby was delivered by a woman named Grace Dixon, who was Abbie's ancestor. Naturally.

That bit of information doesn't exactly do much to explain why Ichabod and Abbie have been chosen by the powers that be as the two witnesses who must stop the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, but it does at least hint at the idea of their destinies having been connected for far longer than even they realized. This is a common theme in stories about saving the world, as the idea of destiny or fate often plays a large role in such tales, so while it was a great reveal, it wasn't exactly surprising. But hey, there was a Baby Crane! What happened to him? And what happened to Katrina when she escaped Lachlan Frederick's formerly peaceful mansion five minutes after giving birth (I'm letting this bit of ridiculousness slide)? We're now nine episodes deep in Sleepy Hollow Season 1 and the series is dropping one knowledge bomb after another, yet we're not really any closer to getting answers to our biggest questions. Hell, sometimes I don't even know what my biggest questions are when it comes to this series. That should probably bother me more than it does, but so far, I don't mind. 

This week, Abbie and Ichabod were saddled with the task of tracking down a billionaire socialite who'd gone missing somewhere in the vicinity of Sleepy Hollow. On the surface, the disappearance of Lena Gilbert didn't appear to be a case that required Abbie and Ike's expertise, but once it was revealed that the name Katrina C. was found among Lena's things, the dynamic duo were on the case. They tracked her to the old Fredericks residence, which had been considered a sanctuary at one time, but was now in a state of disrepair on account of the fact that no one had lived in it for decades (centuries?), and the property had been sold again and again (probably because, I don't know, there was a dangerous monster living there?). 

Ichabod and Katrina had visited the home back in the day, and found that it was a safe haven for people of all walks of life. There were no slaves, and everyone who worked for Mr. Fredericks was paid a wage. But it wasn't just a sanctuary for emancipated slaves, it was a place free from evil. Fredericks had been a warlock in Katrina's coven, which is why she returned to the home when she was pregnant. She believed the magic that Fredericks had placed on the house would protect her, and her unborn child, from the evil that had sprung forth into the world at Moloch's request.

Unfortunately for Katrina, as soon as Baby Crane arrived, the home was attacked by what the credits of "Sanctuary" have assured me was a scarecrow. It was made out of roots and had grown on the home's property, which allowed it to beat the hex Frederick had cast to protect the home. By growing inside the property, it didn't need to cross any magical boundaries like most evil creatures would. The roots eventually invaded the entire structure, as seen in the present day when Lena first arrived and got dragged into the closet. When the roots were cut, they bled. This was a heavy-handed metaphor for family lineage, of course, and in an episode about ancestry and carrying on family legacies, well, what else would you expect? 

We all have roots, we all come from somewhere—including Lena Gilbert, who was one of Fredericks' relatives. Sometimes our roots are just as important to who we are as the life we've chosen to lead. Sometimes our roots are what make us, and what guide us, which obviously came to be true in Abbie's case, when she saw the ghost of Grace Dixon. Sometimes our roots also tie us down, which happened literally for Lena. And sometimes our roots are hella confusing because time travel. Ichabod, for instance, has his own magical roots of destiny, but because he's been displaced from his own time, he's also someone else's roots. His story this week wasn't so much about ancestry and his family lineage as it was about him discovering that his family lineage didn't end with him. Now he's even more set on finding his family in the present day. Finding Katrina and freeing her from purgatory after the Horseman revealed that her soul was his prize was Ichabod's top priority in "Necromancer," but now he's also set on finding the rest of his kin. What happened to Baby Crane? Did the child survive and grow up to start his own family? And if so, are they still in Sleepy Hollow?

So many questions surround this story. Why did the scarecrow arrive just as the baby was born? What does Moloch want with the kiddo? We know that evil can be created—we saw that last week when Brom became the Headless Horseman—but evil can also be born. Was their infant evil? I think that would be one hell of a twist for the series, especially since Ichabod only just found out he was a father. To learn that his child was destined for evil would be an interesting way to incorporate the good-versus-evil aspect that so often accompanies stories about families and magical destinies. I thought Jenny might have ended up being the evil to Abbie's good, but it's possible that Ichabod and Katrina's son is actually the evil to their good. Who knows? At this point, Sleepy Hollow could go anywhere and do anything and I think I'd still love it.

Speaking of families, we were introduced to Captain Irving's ex-wife and daughter this week. If Ichabod and Abbie's story dealt with the common themes of destiny and family legacies, the Irvings' story dealt with another theme that's often present in supernatural series about heroes trying to save the world: personal sacrifice. It happens all the time—the hero must sacrifice something close to his or her heart in the name of the greater good. Irving moved to Sleepy Hollow to run its small-town police department, one that was one-tenth the size of the precinct he used to manage in New York City. And now, his ex-wife is struggling to understand why he's unable to find time to see his daughter when he lives in a quiet, peaceful town like Sleepy Hollow.

At this point in the episode, my notes read, "OH HONEY, IF ONLY YOU KNEW!" But of course she can't know. It looks like Irving is simply choosing his job over his child again, but what his ex-wife isn't privy to is that he's doing it so that his daughter has the chance to grow up at all. He's sacrificing his own personal happiness, and possibly destroying his relationship with his daughter, in order to help save the world, and he can't even tell her. It's sad to see, but it happens all the time in stories like this one.

With "Sanctuary," Sleepy Hollow once answered just as many questions as it created. We now know that Ichabod's timeline first merged with Abbie's long ago, when her ancestor delivered Baby Crane, and again when she facilitated Katrina and the baby's escape from the scarecrow sent to do Moloch's bidding. But we still don't know why either of them were really chosen to be the saviors of the universe. Yes, it's now their destiny to do so, and the dawn of the Horsemen has been a long time coming. But the question that arises in the aftermath of "Sanctuary" is, "What will Ichabod and Abbie do next?" Ichabod made quite statement when he attacked the scarecrow's roots in the basement of the old Fredericks mansion; these two characters are both strong and make their own choices, so while their destinies might've led them to this moment, and will guide them toward their end, it excites me to see where they're going because anything could happen.

FROM THE SHERIFF'S FILES

– Decapitations this week: 0 (though the scarecrow definitely took an ax to the face)

– Things that confused/annoyed Ichabod this week: Drive-thru windows, what we're supposed to believe were McDonald's french fries, and the idea that the Pilgrims ate cranberry sauce and pie at the first Thanksgiving. 

– "The Pilgrims didn't have any sugar to make a sauce, let alone a pie! And venison, not turkey, was served!" 

– "She would have told me." When Abbie first informed Ichabod of the baby, the expression on his face broke my heart. Why hadn't Katrina told Ichabod about their son? I know they didn't exactly have much time to gab when she invaded his dreams or whatever, and I know Ichabod needed to focus on the Horseman, etc. But he had a son! This storyline excites me. Do you think his son lived? He had to've lived, right? Are Ichabod's descendants going to play a part in the future of Sleepy Hollow? Do you think any of the characters we've already met are related to him?

– What do you think Baby Crane's name was? Since I'm obviously super fond of naming people who don't have real names, I think I shall name Baby Crane Frasier. Just kidding. I'm pretty Frasier Crane was born a grown man. From here on out, until we learn Ichabod's son's name, I'm going to call him Joey.

– Jenny made Thanksgiving dinner! I loved it. Almost as much as I loved her bonding with Irving's daughter.

– With each passing episode, I love Abbie and Ichabod's secret HQ in the archives more and more. Every good savior of humanity needs a clubhouse.

– Lena Gilbert, eh? Really? Jose Molina used to be a co-executive producer on The Vampire Diaries, and he now holds the same role on Sleepy Hollow. It's probably just a coincidence, but it's still a bit too close to the name Elena Gilbert for my liking.

– The attack on Fredericks' home was preceded by a murder of crows flying into the windows, and if Teen Wolf has taught us anything, birds of any kind attacking a building is definitely not a good thing and is actually really scary. Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds has been terrorizing humans for decades now. To this day, my heart races at the sight of a large flock of birds. I'd really appreciate it if movies and TV series would just quit it with the birds for awhile. Thanks.

What'd you think of "Sanctuary"? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/8/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

150 Comments
Comments (150)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I believe they said in the episode that Baby Crane's name is Jeremy.
But bravo Sleepy Hollow, another awesome episode! I'm really sad that this show has a shortened first season especially since it's being followed by something way not as good. Makes me wonder what the writers have planned for the season finale...
Flag
Nerp, the best cultural disconnect was "More treasures from the Amazons?", as uttered by Ichabod when Abbie got that package. Love iiiiiiitt.

This show is up there with other excellent supernatural dramas with a comedic flair, like Buffy and Supernatural, and that makes me so happy :D
Flag
You know I was thinking last night they missed an interesting cultural disconnect about Ichabod's reaction to a 'billionaire'.

He'd have thought of billion as the 'Old British Billion', what we now call a trillion, or a million million, not the American and international (and since 1975 the UK as well) billion, which is a thousand million.

So that's something they could have played with.
Flag
Well, in Scandinavia at least, a billion is still 1,000,000,000,000. So a million millions. And a thousand million is called a milliard.
Flag
I knew I recognized the name Lena Gilbert from somewhere! Maybe it's a nod for fans of both shows..
Flag
Ichabod was very shocked by all the billionaire thing. That was fun.
Flag
The 'vision' of the birth was a little convenient, but otherwise the haunted house set was super creepy, and it will be interesting to see who Ike's son turns out to be.
Flag
We learned two important things this week. Crane's been doing his history homework - he was all an expert on the GNP, an idea that didn't develop until after WWII. And he's terrible at math - according to Wikipedia, the GNP of the US didn't cross into the billions until around the beginning of the 20th century. Although, I could be wrong about that second one b/c like Crane, I'm terrible at math. ;P.
Flag
Crane said the noe billion was the GNP for the thirteen colonies for his entire lifetime, not for one year of it
Flag
PS: Tree monsters rock!
Flag
Who carries an axe like that in their car? I could see a hatchet, but a full blown axe?
Flag
i think ichabod used that axe to gain access to 'the reliquary' or whatever that place is where clancy brown kept all his otherworldy artifacts.
Flag
There is a romance a brewing between Jenny and the Captain!! and I like it!
Sleepy Hollow is killing with these 3 episodes..keep it up. Somehow the HouseTree scared me and made me laugh at the same time. Grade=B+
Flag
Awesome episode! Somehow I knew Grace Dixon would turn out to be Abbie's ancestor, and when it turned out to be true, I was like "I knew it!"

Loved Ichabod taking down the Scarecrow with an axe. This shows us you do not mess with his family!

Anyone else notice Ichabod lost his jacket near the end? Does that mean he'll be getting a NEW one? FINALLY?
Flag
I totally agree that Lena Gilbert is too much like the very annoying TVD Elena Gilbert. No more of those, Sleepy Hollow! Gives me the shivers...

Sleepy Hollow continues to be solid week after week and I love how badass Ichabod is between sword fights last week and killing evil tree monster with an axe... No wonder Abbie is trying to get her way giving him rum and sultry looks... I like the friendship Ichabod & Abbie have so not sure if I see a romance there necessarily but I totally love & ship Jennie & Captain Irving. What a pair of hard asses! And Irving's daughter is too cute. I wonder if he is responsible somehow for her being in a wheelchair.

I think Ichabod's son was probably raised by a different family so I doubt his name would have been Crane but as a first name, why not Lachlan? After all the guy died defending him...
Flag
I'm going to call it now. Lachlan Frederick died without any heirs and in order to protect Katrina and Ichabods infant son they named him Fredericks son. Leah will turn out to be Ichabods long lost grand-daughter which is why the root-demon (he he , root-demon) was so keen to capture her. Whatever it was about Katrina and Ichabods child that made him so valuable to the servants-of-Moloch still exists in the bloodline. Ichabod will figure all this out towards the end of the season while relooking through all those papers she sent.
Flag
I agree with this too, and if she is his living descendant, it could provide a way for Abbie and Ichabod to bankroll their whole operation beyond the police department in the future.
Flag
Loved loved loved this episode. I must say I like vengeful Ichabod that fight scene was fantastic. I'm really interested in finding out what happened to the little bub and whether ichabod might have a descendent in town or is the bub in pergetory with Katerina or something where the bub is frozen in time
Flag
Loved this episode.
Loved the scene when Ichabod finds out about the baby.
Doesn't Ichabod's shirt seem all sewed up where it was broken before in the fight scene? He stays with the costume till the end! Not a complaint, I loved it too!! :)
Flag
With fair warning that I am terrible with TV plot predictions (haven't been right yet) : I think Abbie's cop ex-b/f is the descendant of Ichabod & Katrina Crane. No solid reason for thinking this, just my hunch.
Flag
You do realize he's latino right?
Flag
Couldn't he be mixed race?
Flag
sure. in fact, I don't even know why I mentioned that he's latino.
with this show anything's possible.
Flag
Heehee! Thanks. That's so true. At this point, alien-DNA in any of our beloved characters wouldn't surprise me. :)
Flag
I never get tired of the chemistry between Abbie and Ichabod.
But yeah, I don't like haunted houses either...
Flag
Loved the episode..
Loved that Abbie was the one who was freaking out in the house. It was a creepy house...
Loved the Gilbert girl...even she was captured, when she was freed, she was helping out as good as she could.
Fun to know that Icha and Ab have a deeper connection then they thought...
What happened to the kid?
It was nice to not deal with the horseman for a change...
Flag
I loved the episode
Flag
I can't wait until Ichabod discovers that his most famous descendant was a notorious american sex addict.
Since the cult of celebrity wasn't a feature of 1776, somehow I doubt that this discovery will be mitigated at all by the knowledge that 'young Bob' starred in Hogan's Heroes.
Flag
Birds are better than spiders trust me. I sat through 'Arachnaphobia' and I went from being mildly afraid of them to completely and utterly terrified. I can't even look at pictures of the horrifying creatures anymore. It was probably the worst viewing experience of my life; with the exception of the last episode of LOST.
Flag
It bothers me that Ichabod runs around in 200+ year old clothing. That he doesn't seem terribly awed at todays technology nor does he seem to want to fit in with anything of the times.
Flag
Because in Ichabod's times people changed wardrobes a lot less frequently that we do now, fabrics tended to be a lot more resilient 200 years ago (they also did much more physical jobs, travelled by horse etc.) and being a gentleman, Ichabod would have been able to afford good wool for his suit so it is bound to last much longer than a contemporary one would...

Having said that I really want Ichabod to go shopping to some ridiculous shop like Abercrombie just for the shock factor...
Flag
Yea,I was thinking the same thing. Its another show that could have been AWESOME but is just barely watchable. They just HAVE to crowbar in the cliché female partner.....think Law and Order SVU, Law and Order Criminal Intent,Defiance,Elementary,CSI,the list goes on and on. Its tired and played out. How great would this show be if Ichabods partner was Orlando Jones
Flag
How great it would be? Would it be ''the breakout hit of the season?'' The last episode drew 6 million viewers and thats a season low. FFT
Flag
Don't bother with him. He's a Hessian.
Flag
Uhh,was I talking to you? Please feel free to never respond or readf any post of mine. By the way,arent you the same played out troll who says "argue, argue, argue, back and forth this, bicker bout that,, i'm better than you and you suck because of a,b, and c. its boring and god damn childish." For someone "claiming"to have that mentality,you seem to constantly doing just that. Oh wait,am I getting defensive and taking you too seriously? Again,please dont read or comment on any of my post's Mr. Troll,and il do the same to you.Happy Thanksgiving.....duhhh
Flag
wow thats a huge paragraph you got there. when does an opinion become an argument? don't bother to answer its a rhetorical question. bear in mind that this is a public forum. I didnt invent the reply button. have a nice holiday.
Flag
It seems theyre very conservative with the wardrobe budget. Abbie seems to only have one outfit. Well 2 if you count her police uniform. She does have a couple of jackets though. She'll take Ichabod shopping at some point. Thats practically inevitable. Only 4 eps left.
Flag
I was a bit late with Sleepy Hollow episodes and I just catched up with the last 4 episodes, including this one. This is getting a lot better! Liked it from the beginning, but the cases of the week are stronger now, since they relate better to the main story.
Flag
Sherriff Corbin = Icky's Great great x 3 grandson???? (Is my math right??). I think YES!!! A great call back to Corbin and his obsession with Sleepy Hollow's supernatural roots.
Flag
I really hope Icabod's decedents don't play a large part in the show; I just can't stand Erin Cahill as an actress (I took it that the son survived and she's Ic's great great great... granddaughter.)
Flag
Why would you think that, her lineage was thoroughly explained?
Flag
It showed Kat escaping with their baby, and Kat's name was circled in Erin's list. It could be she was lineage from the house owner, it could be she is secretly a Crane.
Flag
She was explained as a descendant of Lachlan Frederick but sure maybe Kat gave away the baby to be cared for by a relative to him and raised as their own. Stranger things have happened but it feels a little round about to me.
Flag
Actually I was wondering that same thing - who raised baby Crane? I think Abbie's ancestor would probably have given him to a family where he could be hidden since the big bad monster would still be after him? As in those days I assume mixed race families would be rare, I guess she'd have given him to a white family, the Fredericks or some other ally of theirs rather than raise them with the Mills' ancestors?
Flag
Only time can tell, with a show like this. Only time can tell...
Flag
What if Abbie and Jenny are Crane's decendents? Do we know when Katrina was 'killed'? I seem to remember it not being too long after Ichabod died (although I might be wrong here), so I assume Katrina did not get to raise her own son, maybe she left him with Grace Dixon who raised baby Crane as her own (love child with a white man and the baby took after the dad i guess?) I don't know, but when they were going through the papers Lena Gilbert sent them and Ichabod mentioned Grace's offspring I just had the thought pop up
Flag
This doesn't resemble any Scottish food I ever eaten. These are from the Austrian Netherlands for one thing.. Dreadfully prepared.
Now you made Abbie think France was called Austrian Netherlands in the past.
Flag
Welp, the novelty has worn off. This just isn't my brand of goofy. However, I may watch the first few minutes of each week so I can hear Ichibod rant about modern life.
Flag
Dammit this is a great show. Just when you think they can't get any crazier and awesome then the next episode airs and we start all over again. We had not only a haunted house, but a tree demon, and then just to further the mythology of not only Crane but Abbie as well. Crane is a father, his son has something and likely his relatives have something to do with all of this. And he and Abbie are fated to do this all together from the get go. I freaking love this show. I am so unbelievably glad that Fox hasn't ruined it. This gives me hope for TV, with Psych airing its last season this will likely take its place in my viewing as just an awesome show to watch and have a fun time watching.
Flag
they should pass a special Sleepy Hollow town ordinance that allows Ike to carry a sword anywhere he goes - these stories always go better with swords.
http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/book_images/high/v2_x3_s02_ss00_11.jpg
Flag
Those are actually sabres.
Flag
Oh this show i like it so much. Not only we had a "haunted house" and a weird scarecrow who actually atracted crows. We saw Ichabod go all apesh*t after finding out he had a son and seconds after he was born there was an attempt against his live and his mothers.
Katrina needs some serious explaining to do. And fast cause there could be so many different scenarios that are alredy circulating around my head.
ah! and also to add to the list of things that confused/annoyed Ichabod, there was the fact that existed billionaires.
Flag
I was worried for a moment that the baby wasn't his...Hope that's not the case though. Don't think Ichabod needs that kind of heartbreak right now. Although...what if it was the Horsemen's?! That would be nuts LOL
Flag
Yep me too - I was happy that soapy cliche was avoided... Thank you Sleepy Hollow!
Flag
Oh Ichabod, my heart broke as Abbie told you about your son. Great acting from Tom Mison in this episode. I wasn't mad about the haunted house storyline and the roots monster, but the back story and heart felt Ichabod made it a memorable episode.
Flag
three finger salute for rue!

love this show more and more each episode.
Flag
Oh yes, thank you! I kept looking at her face saying "where do I know you from?!" It was frustrating because I know I just saw her face. Duh, because I saw Catching Fire this weekend.
Flag
Tom Mison, will you marry me? I promise to feed you a delicious, historically accurate Thanksgiving feast and tell you if I have your baby.
Flag
Tom Mison hates womens.
Flag
Who cares. We love him!
Flag
He's Mine...kidding lol sort of
Flag
This wasn't my favorite Sleepy Hollow episode. It was all bit too silly, even for Sleepy Hollow! I still enjoyed it, but them running around in a haunted house being chased by a killer vine was really a bit much.
Flag
lol. a bit much? that was the best part. You're taking things a little too serious. just play along. this episode really reminds me of ''supernatural'' for some reason.
Flag
Staff
I desperately wish for a Supernatural crossover. Too bad Supernatural already did the Four Horsemen thing.
Flag
Um, I said I still enjoyed it, how is that taking things too serious? It was stupid. I don't have to play along and pretend every episode of a show I like is fantastic. Every show I have ever loved has had a few terrible episodes, and I imagine Sleepy Hollow will have its fair share.
Flag
argue, argue, argue, back and forth this, bicker bout that,, i'm better than you and you suck because of a,b, and c. its boring and god damn childish. happy thanksgiving.
Flag
Wait, now you think I suck because I didn't like the vine monster? You know it's perfectly okay to like different things about a show and still be fans of the same show! I promise you I don't think I'm better than anyone. Happy thanksgiving to you too.
Flag
why so defensive? now youre taking me a little too serious. umm...relax.....
Flag
Is that your deal? You go around telling people how they should comment on a tv show, and then when they don't agree you pretend they're all upset about it so you can talk down to them?
Flag
A lesson I learned from this week's episode: When trapped in a haunted house with locked doors, never, ever try to break those fragile little things called "windows". Only politely try to use the doors or alternatively smash walls covering hidden passageways, but never touch the windows.
Flag
I thought they tried to take the boards off the windows at one point, but they wouldn't budge. I remember them doing that after all the doors closed.
Flag
Didn't i say people are unnecessarily stupid in american horror stories? Thats the only way they can make the scenarios work.
Flag
At least no one was wearing a red shirt, but they did leave Abbie behind when they could have just waited for her a few steps away.
Flag
I guess a giant ink pen got in the way. it happens a lot.
Flag
Staff
This is a very, very important thing to remember. Windows are made of glass, and can break easily. Do not attempt to exit that way.
Flag
I wonder if the writers of Sleepy Hollow are Stephen King fans? This episode had a real "The Shining" vibe to it. Oh, it was also very well done. The whole haunted house thing can be so cliche. But not in the hand's of these producers and writers.

Sleepy Hollow, to me, is like a beautifully designed jigsaw puzzle. Each week new pieces fall into place and we all go "ahhh". Well, at least I do.

Is it just me or could you listen to Tom Mison just speak for 40 plus minutes a week? Maybe I got a bit of a man crush working there. I've said too much.

Looks we're setting the table (pun intended) for season 2.
Flag
Speaking of names being too close to other names: Sanctuary. See what they did there? I think the next episode is called Stargate SG-1.
Flag
I don't quite follow you & I'm curious now...is it that you're somehow suggesting that the ep. title Sanctuary is somehow a nod to the show Sanctuary?
If so, I simply don't see it in the least. What I do see is the title being a direct nod to the Fredrick Estate itself being a sanctuary back in the day since Ike specifically called it that during the first flashback.
Flag
Even if it wasn't intended as a nod, they would at least have been aware that one of their producers had a show by that name. Obviously the title had to make sense in the context of the episode, but that doesn't mean it couldn't also be a nod to Kindler's previous show.
Flag
Well, seems like an nod from/to Damian Kindler who wrote on Stargate SG1, Sanctuary and now Sleepy Hollow. (just to clarify for the non-nerds :D)
Which shows us: this series is not beeing done by beginners. 10 seasons on SG1 is quite the cv.
Flag
I decided something last night. I wish they'd had Ichabod watch the Macy's parade. His reaction to that would most likely have made my life.
Flag
Kinky boots. Hm..., new boots Mr. Crane?
Flag
OMG could you imagine all the comments he'd make? There's so much material there. The floats, the dancers, the balloons, the celebrities who perform and would probably appall him because they're a hot ass mess.
Flag
Hilarious idea - thanks
Flag
Staff
BRB writing fanfiction.
Flag
While the possibility of Katrina and Ichabod having had a child was always there, this is still an interesting development and I'm surprised they went for it in the first season.

Maybe Katrina made a deal with Moloch so that Ichabod could survive and the child was the price but she went back on her end of the bargain. The child or his descendant could be a vessel for Moloch to enter this world. This could be how she ended up in Limbo, either part of the deal or the price for not giving over the child. Either way the child or another in Crane's bloodline is now in play. Katrina likely hid the child away meaning that the boy might not have grown up with the name Crane and with 200 years of marriages and name changes anyone could be the descendant.
Flag
When you get to speculating about this show, you could be at it for days because all things become possible. Literally anything can happen. When ' Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter' dropped, people scratched their heads. Next thing You know, 'Abe Lincoln Vamp Hunter' opens at theatres across the country. Sleepy Hollow is obviously heavily inspired by the latter.
Flag
Loved this episode. Katrina giving birth to Ichabod's son was shocking enough, but never telling him about it was even more shocking to me. They seemed like a couple who wouldn't keep THAT many secrets from each other; but when you're dealing with evil like Moloch or a headless horseman, it's very understandable. I love how Crane went dark mad killing that evil ent (lol!!) cause that freak of nature had it coming!! Also, I'm wondering what his son's connection is to all of this? Is he still alive? Why would Moloch go to so much trouble to get rid of him? Why did Katrina not tell Ichabod about this? I can't wait to figure out the answers.

Also loved Abbie and Ichabod's connection being established centuries ago now, through the midwife who not only helped Katrina with the birth, but helped her escape too. Well done!!!

Jill Marie Jacobs from Girlfriends!!! Niiiiice!!! Still looking good as ever. I gotta give Irving props for sticking around, and not telling why he can't leave Sleepy Hollow. Good man! The bonding moment between his daughter and Jenny was nice too.
Flag
So true - Ichabod on a killing spree was crazy fun... It was a bloody monster after all...
I am not too surprised Ichabod didn't know about the baby as after all, he never knew that Katrina had been a witch... I think she may have kept a few other secrets related to the supernatural as Ichabod only found out about all of this after waking up in present times (right? not 100% sure...)
Flag
As was the flirting between him and Jenny lol. I was like "Wait...is this happening? LOL"
Flag
Why do people in this commentary and others refer to this show as Sleepy Hallow, it bothers me in it's pretentiousness, I can't but help think of Nick Stahl in Disturbing Behaviour when he says "... so you just hanging with these guys at the.. Ye Olde Milkshoppe"

So Jennie is waiting with a turkey growing cold on a table while Ichy and Abbs rum it up in the Ichabode, oh well, it's their world everyone else is just living in it I guess.
Flag
okay wait I am confused if crane had a son wouldnt the son be dead by now it was 200 years ago so wouldnt we be looking for his great grand son or something .. I dont get this abbie ancestor was there which means its been several generations so his kids can't be alive
Flag
No one ever mentioned that his kid would be alive. Ichabod is fully aware that he will never know his son and he is long dead, that's what his story was about at the end, not being able to have the same moments with his son as with his father.
Flag
okay cause there are some people on twitter and other forums who are trying to guess who the son is and I was confused
Flag
Sleepy Hollow keeps saying that Ichabod and the Horseman merged bloodlines. What impact, if any, would that have on Ichabod's actual bloodline? Is it possible that the baby was making it hard for Moloch to find Katrina? I mean, maybe the baby had powers, but also at 8 or 9 months pregnant you pretty much have 2 people occupying the same space. Would that scramble whatever Moloch was using to track Katrina? On the other hand, Katrina might have had shields that she couldn't hold while she was in labor.
Flag
1st of all Ichabod and the Horseman mixed blood after the baby was concieved, unless your suggesting Ichabod somehow impregnated Katrina after being mortally wounded by the horseman and mixing blood on the battlefield. I see this as highly unlikely. So no magic baby, you'll have to switch over to Falling Skies for that.
Flag
Or The Originals...
Flag
Hah - totally called it that Ichabod had a kid he didn't know about. I loved the fact that Ichabod and Abbie found 'family' with each other for Thanksgiving through their shared connection via Grace Dixon.

Fun crazy flirting between Jenny and Irving. "I don't even really like your Dad" Liar, liar pants on fire!
Flag
Definitely - the chemistry between Jenny and Captain awesome is off the charts
Flag
Lol definitely. They were definitely getting their flirt on. I was surprised it happened so quickly.
Flag
I do think that somebody that we may have already seen, if even just briefly, is a descendant of Crane. And are we 100% positive that Lena Gilbert is a descendant of Frederick's and not that she could be a descendant of Crane? Just a thought. Listing the baby as part of Frederick's tree was safer than Crane's.

I love that this show just keeps building and building. It can be silly and inaccurate but the show knows what it is and I'm loving this journey.
Flag
Yep, and the name similarity with "Elena Gilbert" also seems to point out in the direction of a more significant ancestor.
Flag
Staff
I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if Lena turned out to be his descendant instead.
Flag
A quick comment, and maybe more later on this great episode. But the crows were not evil, but had been placed around the house as protection, as was mentioned in one of the flashbacks. But nice deke, guys, since everybody else also saw Tippi Hedren in the background, reaching for a phone.
Flag
I'm filled with dread over what the fate of Ichabod's son might be. Moloch is associated with Child Sacrifice, particularily by parents. The hold over Katrina's soul could be from some atrocity committed by Katrina against her own son.
Flag
I loved this episode. I have not yet been disappointed in Sleepy Hollow. Ike's fish out of water gag never gets old. I laugh at a good fish out of water routine every time.

I think that the baby is going to be a new character. I do not see any character thus far that is worthy of being a Crane, except maybe Sheriff Corbin. j/k

Baby Crane, might be Frederick or Lachlan in honor of LF. Maybe Washington.

I would like to see more Jenny. This 2 minutes of screen time per episode is killing me. As much as I like Abby/Ike and Capt Irving (Washington?) is growing on me. I want more Jenny. She's a badass and she knows something about the mysteries the witchcraft etc. . .

I do like the clubhouse.

I agree about Lena. I groaned audibly when I first heard the name.I thought This is Fox now CW.

Crows are usually a bad omen, but that was a scarecrow, hmmmm.

Bottom line is that I am enjoying this show immensely and I would like to see more episodes, I do agree with the fewer episodes makes a tighter season and less filler episodes makes me very happy. Sleepy Hollow is my must see.

More+
Flag
It was good to see Ichabod 'find his manhood' when it came "time to regulate". They've been dealing with most challenges intellectually, rather than with brute force. That tree creature needed his ass kicked and Ichabod delivered.
I also like the way they're making Katrina&Jenny a bigger part of the story.
Flag
Sleepy Hollow gets better with every episode. It's highly entertaining television made for family viewing. To me that just doesnt make sense. I don't watch shows like this. I actually spend money to watch shows that aren't nearly as good, or consistent. Great dialogue, great chemistry, great casting , and a pretty awesome monster of the week. This episode was really good.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members