A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Sleepy Hollow S01E03: "For the Triumph of Evil

This week on Sleepy Hollow, a faceless nightmare demon was haunting Abbie and her past, but before we get to that, I'd like to discuss the fact that this series needs a Previously On... segment before the Previously On... segment. The former explains the premise of the show, while the latter reminds viewers of what transpired last week. I liken that first segment to Battlestar Galactica's prologue, which preceded every episode to explain the cylons and their plan, and for many supernatural or science-fiction series, that sort of thing is actually really helpful. It's also a sneaky way to bring new viewers up to date so they don't sit there wondering what the hell is going on all the time. I applaud your thoughtful sneakiness, Fox.

Now, let's talk about the evil nightmare creature that made me never want to sleep again. Instead of having the thing haunt inconsequential members of Sleepy Hollow as most other supernatural series would do, this guy—who had a name I can't even begin to try to spell—was on a mission, and that mission was more or less to mess with Abbie Mills. Having this story center on Abbie kept it from straying too far into Monster of the Week territory while also helping develop Abbie's backstory—and for that we should all be grateful—but the execution of it was poor.

The episode kicked off with a dream sequence of Abbie's, and as the flickering lights foretold, nothing good was going to come out of it. When she woke up, she was called into work to deal with a jumper who turned out to be indirectly related to Abbie's own history—they lady was Abbie's sister's first doctor when she was admitted to the looney bin for talkin' 'bout demons and stuff. When Abbie arrived, the doctor's eyes were glazed over white and she told Abbie that she had believed what Jenny told her all those years ago but lied about it, and now she was basically paying for it. Aaaaand then she jumped. Right onto the hood of a car. Aren't there supposed to be like, trampolines or big mats down there or something? Have cartoons warped my sense of what actually transpires during those sorts of situations? I just feel like Sleepy Hollow PD wasn't even trying.

So, let's do a quick recap of what we've learned so far. Rule number one: Don't go talking about demons unless you want to be locked up forever (the exception would be if you're speaking to Abbie and Ichabod or perhaps the Winchesters). Rule number two: Don't lie about not believing someone when they're talking about demons because eventually one will come for you. Rule number three: Do not move to Sleepy Hollow. Actually, that should probably be rule number one.

As Abbie and Ike (not Icky because I would like to be friends with him some day) attempted to suss out just what was happening in Sleepy Hollow, we learned more about Abbie and Jenny's history and that day they saw the creepy demon creature in the woods. We also learned why Jenny is currently living in a facility that has electronic locks on its doors while Abbie's patrolling the streets as a cop. And it basically boils down to the fact that Abbie, fearing what may happen to both of them, denied having seen the demon in the forest, while Jenny was very forthcoming with the details. The man who found them in the woods (after a four-day nap!?) also denied having seen the demon, which is why he eventually also killed himself in front of Abbie. (Rule number four: Maybe don't involve yourself in any matters concerning Abbie Mills?)

After spending a little doing research (a staple of all supernatural shows) in the archives—which for all intents and purposes is now akin to Sunnydale's library in its homebase-ness—Abbie and Ike discovered just what kind of demon they were dealing with. It was a version of the Sandman, but one from Native American mythology. They tracked down the only Native American in the area, a used car salesman (but he had a DeLorean!), and after insulting him a bit, he agreed to help them defeat the Sandman. 

The climax of the episode was very anticlimactic. In fact, it was really easy for Abbie to defeat the faceless baddie once she and Ike drank some special dream tea. We already knew that Abbie had lied about seeing the demon, because Abbie herself had told Ichabod about the demon in the series premiere. We didn't need to know she had lied to the authorities about it, because we could infer as much once we realized that Jenny was locked up and Abbie was not. So when the time came to admit her guilt and confess to the demon why she denied seeing him, the result was very, very boring. It wasn't cathartic. It wasn't revealing. It was played as a triumphant moment, but Abbie had already confessed her sins (and they never really felt much like a secret anyway), so why should we care about her confessing to the Sandman? 

I've been mentioning other long-running supernatural dramas in these reviews since Sleepy Hollow began, and I've tried to keep them light because this show deserves to stand on its own without having to worry about being overshadowed by the shows that came before it, but "For the Triumph of Evil" was the first episode that made me feel like maybe the show should take a page out of its elders' books. 

As fun and creepy as Sleepy Hollow was this week (and don't get me wrong, I did mostly enjoy the hour), the final act was a letdown. Secrets and their accompanying guilt can be an effective method of storytelling and I think that's something Supernatural has always done well. I'm not saying I want Sleepy Hollow to be another Supernatural, but Sam and Dean's relationship has always worked on an emotional level because their characters have fully formed backstories full of unspoken feelings and secrets, and when they're revealed, it feels like an actual confession of guilt, it feels like these things have been eating them up inside for years. 

Abbie's own secret had been mentioned in some way or another in all three of the episodes that've aired so far, so her confession this week was far less effective. Perhaps Sleepy Hollow needs to do more showing instead of telling? Maybe the protagonist shouldn't yell her secrets from the rooftop next time? Maybe she should act like this creepy childhood experience has been bothering her for the last however many years and not like she's just kind of annoyed by it all? I appreciate the writers' attempt to fill in some of the Mills sisters' backstory, but so far it's all feeling a bit blah.

NOTES

Beheadings this week: 0 (Steve, we miss you, please come back), though two people did bite the dust on account of their own guilt.

Things that confused/intrigued/made Ichabod sad this week: remote controls, the plight of the Native Americans.

– Abbie and Jenny's parents left the picture when the girls were young age (see, here's a secret that Abbie is keeping and not talking about at length), and they were living in foster homes when the event in the woods took place. Who wants to bet her parents died as a result of Sleepy Hollow's magical history?

– Evil John Cho was not in this episode. Perhaps he's napping, or laying low since he thinks someone has probably noticed there's a squad car missing (not likely, Evil John Cho, the Sleepy Hollow PD doesn't seem to be all that competent). 

– I do hope Ichabod wears his period clothing forever and then everyone makes a big fuss about it when he finally decides to update his wardrobe.

– The Headless Horseman sign prank was actually pretty funny. But I'm still not sure why they're forcing the issue with Abbie's ex-boyfriend. I'm sure we'll find out what part he is to play in all of this soon enough.

"Unless you have an encyclopedia of faceless nightmare monsters, why don't we just start with a little regular detective work here?" That scene would have been much better that they cut to Ichabod pulling out this Encyclopedia of Faceless Nightmare Monsters right there an then.

– Abbie: "She told the cops that she needed it because she was preparing for the End of Days." Ichabod: "Well she's perfectly sane then." 

– "You stopped having powwows? I rather enjoyed those."

– "No more scorpions. Ever."

poll

280 Comments
Comments (280)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I would love for there to be a scene where Abbie orders some clothes for Ichabod on a historical reenactor or cosplay website. "Your clothes are looking a bit ragged, so I got you these to feel more comfortable in."
Flag
i liked it. i liked Abbie, i liked Ichabod and i liked the way she defeated the 'bad guy'...she may have bn talking about it, but that's not the same are really admitting it to herself and taking responsibility for it.
Flag
Dear Producers,
Could you stop having all the villains speak Greek? Or at least let some of the good guys speak Greek?
It's starting to get a little bit offensive for us Greeks, LoL
Flag
i kinda like it! though they should work a bit on pronounciation. i have to replay the dialogue to get what they say sometimes... also, i find it endlessly amusing that the 'bad' guys including a native american demon speak modern Greek! i'm having fun trying to find reasons for it (maybe Greek is the one language before the Babel Tower fiasco or something? ;D )
Flag
The reason is that probably the producers thought Latin - which is the most common choice for this show - is kind of overused and went for Greek as a not such a cliche choice. They have done that in Fringe as well

The pronunciation doesn't bother me much in general, I know Greek are a difficult language to pronounce for most people, but given the fact that they do have demons and supernatural beings speak Greek they should have work on it a little better. In Fringe they had American speak some phrases in Greek, so any pronunciation issues, are understandable. But if you have a demon, he should have been able to speak Greek fluently
Flag
Maybe everybody didn't notice the fact that the sign in the prank with the headless horseman was actually a result of "Steve" swinging his axe and chopping the top off the sign before killing the old reverend in the first episode. At least none of the cops knew this, or I'm guessing it wouldn't have been so funny...
Flag
You forgot one: Things that confused/intrigued/made Ichabod sad this week: remote controls, the plight of the Native Americans and ENERGY DRINKS

Flag
The "sleep monster"/sandman looked like an ugly brother of the guy from the "American Horror Story/Asylum" promos.
But the biggest problem with this show is still: ABBIE MILLS! sigh. I don't know if it's the actress or the writing but I can't get into it/her. Which really pisses me off because we desperately need good female characters on network television! I really like Ichabod....but Abbie......and in an episode that had the right formula because it was supposed to give us some much needed background on her as a character!!!! I did kinda like her sister (the grown-up version) so maybe that's something?
Flag
This episode was the worst to me. I am not into Supernatural, True Blood kind of shows. I was thinking of trying the pilot but it makes me came back for episode 2 and episode 2 was quite enjoyable too. However this was the weakest yet.

The ending definitely had something to do with it. Dreams sandman are so overdone in so many other movies and shows !

If the show is going to be about the 2 of them fighting a monster every week, I think it will gets tiresome very soon. Perhaps we need more John Cho. He was awesome in the 1st 2 episodes !
Flag
Ich's taste of the energy drink was priceless, right up with him freaking out about the shower. I really liked this episode; and while it's really tough not to compare it to stuff like Supernatural and Buffy, I find myself enjoying it just as much as any of them so far.

I did think the two segments of recap was too much. Considering they only have 3 episodes so far, it's a little tedious. I understand wanting to bring in new viewers, but when I'm starting a new show without knowing the backstory, the 'previously on" segments don't help anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Sulu/Harold blew up with the bad witch under the tunnel in the second episode so he won't be back.
Flag
I thought it was funny that you mentioned the opening. I didn't mind the first recap (Who is Ichabod and how did he get here?), but then the second one (previously on...), and then the opening credits sequence I felt as though we lost a HUGE amount of airtime before we got to anything we didn't already know.
Flag
  • This show is bat-sh!t insane. The moment you just recognize it as unapologetically ridiculus and awesome you just roll with the crazy and it's that much more enjoyable. It isn't taking itself too seriously. It isn't trying to be something it isn't. It just is what it is. I love that about it and that's probably why I've become so addicted to this utterly ludicrous madness and all of the awesome facets of it! I didn't mind the episode. It worked for me. A little backstory, some scary mythical creature tied in with one of the main characters, an intro to the other Mills sister, humor, unwavering loyalty among acquaintances...all win.
  • On any other show I would roll my eyes and sigh over just how "PC" they are trying to be here with the historical aspects of this show. On this show, I can't though. I fully blame the amazingness of Tom Mison and his delivery of everything. So we essentially have Mr. Tall, White, and British who wanted to free the slaves, who was besties with the Native Americans, who was respected by the colonialists who has a solid religious foundation and sense of morals, but who isn't judgmental enough to mind that his wife just so happen to be a witch...who didn't question the authority of the Asian-American law enforcement officer who hauled him into jail in the pilot...He's just so ridiculously, absurdly PC. Non-threatening to the masses and powers that be, but sympathetic and genuinely kind and caring about all the "little people" , the marginalized, the oppressed. Yet, he does all this and displays all of this without coming across as the White Savior. I spare all the fascinating discussion that could come from this, but no matter what happens, no matter what they discuss or bring up or talk about, we know for sure that even if it contradicts itself and is absurd and insane, Ichabod Crane will always be on the right side of history. Thus making him the ultimate likeable character.
  • Oy the Shaman thing. I loved how devastated, confused, and mortified Crane was over the Native Americans. They were his friends, and now, now they are no more, a disturbingly small race of individuals relegated to bits and pieces of land that was once theirs. I'm appalled too Ich. I'm appalled too. But, um, for the record, don't come to me looking for help on voodoo or black magic just because I had ancestors from the South and from Africa. The odds of stumbling across a Native American used cars salesman who also has all the dirty details and knowledge on ancient tales of a Native American tribe from 250 years ago, and the mystical concoctions that go along with it are slim. By slim I mean wtf?! But ooooookkkkayyyyy. LOL!
  • Jennifer Mills is a badass. I loved her fun banter with Ichabod when he visited her. "Tall, Dark, and British" awesome! "Do your friends call you Icky?" "Not if they want to remain my friends." So much sassiness my face hurt from smirking so much. I'm looking forward to her finally being reunited with her sister, but I'm so happy that she's out. If anybody can stop the harbinger of the Apocalypse Jenny Mills can. I feel like she's intimidating enough to walk up to HH and punch him in the throat and he'd like...gallop away or something. Jenny Mills is the best, basically.
  • Ichabbie has a place now! I love that it's officially their place. I loved that he went to the dream world with her and...I just love Ichabbie. I love them so much. They are just so much fun to watch. I love their little partnership. Their chemistry is insane. I loved their little talks. I loved their energy drink scene. I just never tire of the pair of them.
  • No HH and no Katrina. Hopefully next week we'll have more on that front.
  • I loved the prank with the sign. I want one!!
  • Yes, what IS the deal with Abbie's ex?
  • I'm okay with Ichabod's clothes as long as he's laundering them. It works. I'd love if he randomly got a makeover and it was so out of the blue that people sort of flip, but I could see them doing the more subtle approach, because he'll probably keep his boots and his jacket, and the hair.
  • That sandman freaked me the hell out in the best of ways. This is about as scary as I can get with anything, and I swear I took a phonecall while watching and was whispering into the phone and looking over my shoulder.
  • So many awesome lines in this show. Too many to type out, but Crane has the best lines.
More+
Flag
Yeah, I think you're pretty much right on this one. The episode gets high points for scariness - I opted not to watch it Monday night right before I went to bed, and watched it earlier in the day yesterday instead - and I was very glad I did so :P

But otherwise, it wasn't as good as the previous two eps. The last act, as you said, was not as powerful as I think the show expected it to be. I did very much enjoy the scene between Ichabod and Jenny. I hope we see more of her (it looks like we will) because I really liked her.
Flag
I loved that demon!
Flag
You forgot energy drinks!
Flag
Thanks for putting into words what I was still trying to figure out. The story was good, the execution not so much. It would have been better had Abby not already alluded to her and her sister's history in previous episodes. Then it would have packed the punch it was intended to. Also, I found this monster scarier than Headless, so that was nice. Still riding this out through the first season tremors.
Flag
this episode was booooring.
Flag
How so? There was eye Candy for everyone!
Flag
it was boring because it was beyond predictable and people are moving on plot lines like puppets on a string. Nothing that will keep people interested in the long run. Plus, duh... badass demon! need mohawk! No Powwows! Here take a scorpion instead (I'm still loving youuuuuuuu). Dream a little dream of me... don't tell a lie, the truth will set you free! When I wake up in the mohawk tent, I put on my jeans and I feel alright and I can think of 49 ways to leave your lover err cell. Anyway enough with the song quotes that would - even more interestingly so - recap the whole story in a 2 minute jingle.
Flag
heh! It takes more than simple eye candy to fix boring
Flag
Joking aside I feel there's been plot progression... There's enough mystery in this show so far to keep me interested. Now I find Shield boring..
Flag
I really love this show, and hope it has many more seasons to come, even though it's cheesey that he wears the same clothes he woke up in, he must stink quite bad. Or atleast wash his jacket, some of the rubble is still on the shoulders. xD

Flag
Ha. I did start wondering about his clothes in this episode, although a second later, I was like, don't think about it, he looks hot, so it's all good :D
Flag
Amen to that! :D
Flag
I did like to see the ex outside of Abbie's realm of influence.

In many shows, this is the point the ex establishes himself as the one who knows a lead better, but Sleepy Hollow established Luke as his own character instead. And used the time to develop the rapport with his colleages and to map out his status with the Captain.
Flag
Still mixed about this new show. Probably will see its tail by episode 6.
Flag
I like it...This show is on FOX so don't fear the Axe!
Flag
Episode 3 of Sleepy Hollow had a very good..biting off a bit of Freddy Krugerville. I thought the Sandman episode graded out at a B+. Again they defeated the evil a little too fast for my taste but ill overlook it. The two leads are in tune and they are making the magic happen. I just noticed the I-man is either still wearing the same clothes he woke up in or Macy's has a 1770's collection that they haven't been advertising!!

Flag
it did seem like they defeated the evil really fast, but thats just because they were only in ''The Cell'' for like 5 minutes, but they were in "Krugerville for 20 to 30 minutes. Theyre trying to do foundational stuff while keeping it spooky, so thats why I think the duel ended so quicklly. I also don't think defeat means defeat to these guys, it means better luck next time. I'd say the Sandman will probably return, if I had to guess.
Flag
I think the point of Abbie's confession of being a liar this week was Abbie realising her lies had a destructive effect on someone else, she saved herself at the cost of her sisters life. Abbie took away Jenny's freedom and pretty much is responsible for Jenny being locked up.
She was selfish, made selfish decisions and she finally see's that now.

P.s. This show is awesome. I am obsessed.
Flag
Agreed. The problem was that she didn't even feel guilty about the situation anymore. At this point she was of the firm belief that her sister did this to herself. The fact that she was so annoyed by her sister's criminal record was also hypocritical because she mentioned her own shady past before the Sheriff took her under his wing. All of this negativity was cause for the monster to judge her. (Plus there's the whole witness thing and she's fun to mess with.) I think this episode was about her acknowledging that she made those decisions based on fear and to finally face her guilt regarding her sister's screwed up life.
Flag
Ichabod is not always going to be around her, so Abbie had to embrace the reality of her situation if she really is going to fight demons for the next 7 years.

That implies to acknowledge her sister wasn't crazy, to admit to herself the perp is the Sandman and to own all of this in front of him.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Not going to lie. I was hoping they were going to make Ichabod drink a ton of Energy Drinks and then get super hyper then have a Caffeine crash lol would have been great!
Flag
Each week I find I'd like to take Nicole home for safe keeping - that would be a treasure, in itself, to keep from Mr pale no pants.
For a ridiculous show, I love it a ridiculous amount. The two leads are kinda sparkly together.
Flag
Anybody else got freaked out by the fact that we have "seven years of tribulations" ahead?
Flag
Then again, time is so flexible on TV these days, it could be anything from two weeks per season (True Blood) to a lifetime in just one (AHS: Asylum).

As long as its seven years for the characters, Sleepy Hollow could last for as long as it lasts.
Flag
Flag
I find this show entertaining and has the right chemistry between the characters. I'd still like to know what kind of psychic the captain (no name) is. How did he know anyone was in the archives and why is he so willing to have a nut case like Icabod Crane, who still hasn't changed his clothes, be privy to and even allowed to question witnesses when in no lifetime did he ever go to the police academy. Still, weirdness and improbability is the norm for this show. After all this is Sleepy Hollow.
Flag
The captain is grasping at straws. He can't go to his superiors with the truth, but he still has to get to the bottom of things. So its better to have some ''off the books'', manageable, and specialized, rogue like ichabod on the job with Abby. The captain already knows she will keep her mouth shut and sniff out the culprits while he tends his daily activities.. As a cop your hands are tied when it comes to certain things, like assaulting witnesses, guilty suspects, and even telling the truth. Youre supposed to tell the truth but not at the cost of looking like a nut, or making your boss look bad..
Flag
You do have a point. The Captain would probably not want to tell his superiors that there are a bunch of demons, witches and headless horsemen committing all of the wierd crimes in Sleepy Hollow.
Flag
I liked the episode although it didn't freak me out. I do think American citizens should be freaked out by the fact that they will be taken to the loony bin immediately if they say something that is out of the ordinary. I'm a happy Dutchman because I'm pretty sure that won't happen over here.
Flag
It would be awesome if Ichabod became super obsessed with technology and became the show's go to tech guy. I mean, for a guy super curious about everything around him, you'd think he'd actually sit down and start learning stuff.
Flag
He doesn't need to. Abbie puts post-it notes on the need to know items, remember? He probably thinks everything else is unimportant lol.
Flag
I agree that the ending was kind of a let down since we'd already seen Abbie admit that she lied to the police. But still! The episode gave me the chills. The horror/spookiness is just something that this show does right. It also set up some interesting relationship building with Jenny and Abbie and Jenny and Ichabod.

I got a lot of laughs from Ichabod vs. the 21st century this week. His reaction to the energy drink was hilarious. (And yeah, that stuff is disgusting. Red Bull--I don't even want to talk about what that stuff has in it)
Flag
I really wish he read the label and asked what the hell kind of language they used because I swear those ingredients are not written in English sometimes.
Flag
How could you forget to mention the song!?!? I love that this show blatantly doesn't take itself too seriously, and that is why it is and will do so well. I mean, "Mr. Sandman?" C'mon, that's gold. Last week we had "It's Witchcraft" and now this! I can't get enough! I love kitschy add ins and their song choices are epic. I loved the episode; haters gonna hate.
The backstory is now understood, we can move past it now. The only thing needing clarification is the parents being out of the picture (read: why?)
I, as a few others have stated, believe Jenny is going to be a massive player in this, and I've thrown it around with my hubs that she's the actual second witness. Or that somehow the demon wants to use one or both sisters for some larger purpose. Either way, we're getting a Constantine vibe here. Which is fine, I love Constantine.
I do miss Steve.
Love that the show has like, legit SCARY monsters and not some downplayed man in a sheet running around. This shit is cray.
I'm actually hoping we'll get some more background on Crane soon. Like, why did Washington choose him, over everybody else? Also, the former boyfriend has got to go. He irritates me, but i'm sure his purpose is coming.
Who else thinks that the boss guy (Orlando Jones) who seems to be neutral but also hiding something so maybe he's bad but usually in shows like this turns out to be completely on the good people's side is part of the covens? (Longest run on ever) Cuz I'm getting that vibe too. I can't help it, i'm one of those thinking people.
Regardless, still amazing.
More+
Flag
I'm sure there are a few people out there who are sick of the multiple posts I've made in the past few days about Constantine but if you like the kitsch, just hear me out for a sec...Back in the day, Constantine made a guest appearance in "The Sandman" (Issue #3)...In that title, the Sandman is the literal god that allows dreaming & imagination to exist...Now, In the story, Constantine has access to a small sandbag which the Sandman needs to repossess...in the days leading up to the dream god catching up to John, he experiences multiple kitschy coincidences they portrayed in the SH episode.
Mr. Sandman, Dream A Little Dream Of Me, Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This, California Dreamin' ect.

I mention it not only because I noticed multiple influences within the TV episode, but also simply because It seems you would probably get into it & Neil Gaiman was truly brilliant with the entire Sandman series & I have no shame in recommending it
Flag
Touche sir, we could be great friends.
Flag
Constantine was amazing. If there was a source to steal from, that movie would be it
Flag
Constantine looks like the kind of movie I would like but I tried watching it three times. I still don't know what that movie was about.
Flag
I had to watch it a few times too, don't worry. In fact, it still confuses me a bit. I have the feeling I'd have to take out a bible or delve into theology to better understand it. The gist was that he's always been able to see angels and demons, to the extent that he tried to kill himself to get rid of the images and was taken to hell but lived, and was tossed back. Because of that the devil claimed his soul and has been waiting for him to die so he can keep him in hell forever, as Constantine has very self destructive tendencies. The one twin is "crazy," and jumps to her death, even though both girls can be considered crazy, only one copped to it. This is where I got confused. I assumed she jumped to escape the devil, when really the devil got her anyway because she killed herself. (Insert confusing plot device to bring living twin into room with Constantine) Living twin and Constantine slowly uncover why her sister died. *I think* she killed herself so she couldn't be used to bring back the antichrist (which Gabriel was trying to raise from hell) Gabriel sort of succeeds until Constantine slits his wrists to get the Devils attention to let him in on Gabriel and the antichrist (the devils son, i gather?) plot to overthrow the devil and take over hell and heaven both. But because Constantine sacrificed himself for someone else (something that wasn't in his morality code to really do) and used the dead twin's soul as a bargaining chip, he's heaven bound, so the Devil literally fixes him, giving him a second chance at life so he can claim his soul when he 'screws up' again. There was also a spear involved somewhere in there that started the whole thing. Sorry about the spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it!
More +
Flag
Thanx for the explanation. Maybe I'll try to watch it again. I think it was a comic but I had never read it.
Flag
Things that confused/intrigued/made Ichabod sad this week: other items: the phrase "out of the picture" and drinking the energy drink was pretty hilarious.
Flag
Favorite scene for me this week, defenitely the energy drink one. The scene with the scorpions was kind of cool too, but I stick to the energy drink because it was hilarious LOL
Flag
Yea I was kinda disappointed in this episode. All you had to do to kill this monster was admit your secrets? Kind of an easy way out there writers. But hey, it's a new show and it's gonna have growing pains. I did like the further development of Abbie. It really helps to invest in your main characters. I also liked the inclusion of Jenny. I'm thinking she's gonna be a bigger player in all this so we need to learn more about her. Next week's ep looks good. We finally get to see the human side that are being led by the demon so that will be cool.
I also wonder if maybe Jenny is the second witness as opposed to Abbie. Or maybe one of them will fight on the demon's side at some point. That would be a helluva curveball. Build up Abbie as the big savior then have her turn heel on us and make Jenny the actual savior. Could be cool.
Oh and hey... BATCAVE!!! They finally have a homebase.
I'm still invested in the show. I know there's gonna be some bad episodes. That comes with the territory. But I'll still be watching.
And yea, we miss you Steve. Let us know how you're doing!!
More+
Flag
The issue was that the secret wasn't dire enough, as the reviewer said, it was already admitted to several times. I think keeping Abby as a skeptic about what she and her sister saw wouldve been more effective, and very lightly touching on the incident in the first 2 episodes. The fact that she had already admitted to the whole ordeal really took the bang out of the intensity.
Flag
you can't keep Jenny locked up after all she did work for Division
Flag
That was her? I thought she was british lol
Flag
ya it was her lol
Flag
This show is really losing me. The cute rapport between Ichabod and Abby and the good special effects are not enough to overcome the stale, predictable writing and monster of the week plots.

Also, is it really necessary to have TWO "previously on Sleepy Hollow" segments before the episode and then loads of awkward exposition throughout the dialogue? It feels like they're targeting this show at two year olds. Then again, it is FOX...
Flag
If we learned anything from TV last season, it was that either television audiences are not as intelligent as you want to think or that television audiences are not necessarily looking for "intelligent" entertainment.

When it comes to American TV, smart shows that make assumptions or that force audiences to think get canceled.

I don't think Sleepy Hollow is trying to dumb down its content too much, but let's look at what the ratings are telling us: Under the Dome averaged over 10 million viewers per episode, even the 2nd half of Revolution S1 averaged around 6 million.

I really feel for network TV producers. Having to compete with original cable shows, which have little to no content censorship, while trying to appease both the "brain dead, will watching whatever" audience and the "give me intelligence and substance" audience. They are in an impossible situation these days.
Flag
Cable shows tend to have more intelligent content for the most part, and is less inclusive to the masses, which is really the frontier for great television. I can't even stomach network tv because of how simple it all is, especially with the whole procedural format they keep pumping out. And I wouldn't exactly call it "art."
Flag
It's not that I don't agree with all of you overall, but mind that tv shows are not meant to be "art". Some of them might reach the arts heaven, but that's not the goal or the scope of it. Entertainment is. I think procedurals have an important role in television because not everybody likes to follow serials, but people appreciate familiar faces. You sit for an hour or two at the end of the day, and just want to be brought somewhere else for a little while, with no long term requirement, and with some closure. You can go for a movie, but you know what The Mentalist is going to be about with some certainty, and movies are a higher risk. You can even watch older episodes with no issue of getting lost in a big arc. You can basically just jump in at any time of the season and be fine. I am more into serials myself, but I can see the advantage of procedurals in terms of entertainment.
Flag
Very well said.

Just a slight tangent...

I think right now we have both some of the best TV ever produced & the worst simultaneously. Overall, I see it as a yin/yang symbiosis. If it wasn't for all the utter crap, we wouldn't be able to properly judge the utter genius out there for what it is. We are just simply creatures of our specific era that consume whatever entertains us according to not only taste, but mood regardless of quality or intelligence.

People will say similar things about TV in the next generation, just as it's already been said about it by people in the last...but right now, eff 'em all. We love what we got, even when we don't
Flag
Well said. I think people mistake one watching something for sheer entertainment with someone watching something because the lack the intelligence or eye for quality. I found that particular point rather offensive. As you mentioned, people watch things for various reasons. It depends on mood and taste. Sometimes one doesn't want to "think" too much and they enjoy mindless entertainment. Other times, one may want to analyze matters so they'll watch something procedural or serialized, but it in no means implies that one is devoid of quality and intelligence.
Flag
I don't like the idea that every week we will get to see a different and random horror story in sleepy hollow version. I cannot help it, i think the story was lame. And I am not sure how many mini lame horror stories I will be able to put up with. I'd like to stop watching, but unfortunately I have a serious crush on this Ichabod guy, no matter what clothes he's wearing. Damn it.
Flag
So far I like what I see. Can't help but wonder why stuff that happened previously now is missing from the last two episodes. I don't mind the fact there are episodes the headless horseman is not at the center of the episode, but I see no reason why he shouldn't be looking for his head and taking heads while doing so. Also the horseman being vulnerable to light....not buying it. Also where is is head now? And what's he up to? Last we saw him he was armed to the teeth, we'll to the neck, and riding off.

Personally I don't like the fact that Crane is still wearing the clothes he was buried in for the last 200 years. WE GET IT, HE'S FROM THE PAST. For clothes to even survive that long is a miracle and after the first episode there is really no need for him to dress in his old attire. Get him something he stands out in, retro and stylish.

The whole sister drama needs to be resolved quickly, I don't like it. Get them both on team Crane and then have some of their issues come up once in a while.

More+
Flag
I will be greatly disappointed if they don't do any 80s style makeover montage when they update his wardrobe. He should walking in and out of a dressing room modeling at least five ridiculous outfits for Abbie.
Flag
I missed Steve as well.

I also hope Crane wears his current clothes for some time, although I would like him to get a haircut. That pony just doesn't work. If it was longer it might though.
Flag
Simply goes to show that fashion is cyclic after all.
Flag
I loved every minute. This show rules!
Flag
The climax of the episode was very anticlimactic

Maybe for a tv-show but seen from a folkloristic/mystical/magical perspective it was correct. In all of these tales and beliefs ever you defeat monsters and magical beings by simple tricks, not with raw power or violence. Which makes sense since they usually are immortal and physically invincible.

Read some old folktales or similar stuff, there are lots of examples. Or think about all of those things we call superstition today, all of them are basically easy tricks. Throw salt over your shoulder, spit three times if you see a black cat cross the road, do not walk under a ladder and whatever else thousands of similar things there are.

All of those are simple tricks, done to outsmart evil beings and forces that wants to give you bad luck. The special trick with this sandman demon was apparantly that you should confess your sins to him when he comes for you, then he spares you. Not the first thing anybody have in mind when confronted with a demon so most people do not do it. Also the worst sinners would never even have the idea of confessing any sins or repent them.

Good beings also often has tricks like this, remember how most things or missions God came up with also comes with some trick or caveat (right word?) that you must do or remember? That thing with Sodom for example, "i will destroy this place and you can leave, but you can not look back." Small trick, but hard to do when you hear all that going on behind you.
More+
Flag
They must be pretty dumb bad spirits if they go for those "tricks".
Flag
Yeah maybe you could see it like that but still that is usually the theme of such stories and beliefs. You have to try to look at it with our forefathers eyes, if it does not make sense to the modern you. To me it kind of does makes sense so i guess i see their point but i am very oldfashioned. :)
Flag
I was half kidding. Actually superstitions do have a strong occult power because of repetition and they form an egregore ( spiritual chain) . Salt and charcoal are particularly efficient tools for the rejection of evil spirit- their powers are verified independently in quasi all global cultures and in all eras. It is my profession as I have been involved with these rituals for over four decades :)
Flag
Could you call him Crane instead of Ike? Hearing him being called Ike is making me think of Ike and Tina or something. Other than that, great review! I've really enjoyed reading your opinions on this show so far.
Flag
I do not get the Problem people have with Ichebads wardrobe. It is his sense of style and the way he likes to look. I have always liked to wear regular fit pants, sporty leather shoes and a button down shirt. If it is really cold I wear a V-Neck Pullover over my shirt.

But I never went with any trends. Simplay because I hated them. I hated baggy pants. I hate loose shirts. The list goes on. Eeven if everyone was wearing baggypants I still would not. So why should Iche not wear his sense of style? And honestly I would still rather wear his garnments than shit like this:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/33300000/bieber-pajama-pants-2013-justin-bieber-33383044-1600-1435.jpg
Flag
All this forum was missing was a description of your fashion choices and how that justifies Ichabod's. Now it all makes sense.
Flag
Let me know when you decide to buy a pair of Ben Franklin's big-buckle boots from Poor Richard's Payless. I'm gonna point and laugh like hell.
Flag
haha those pants are awful. I am with you, death to fashion and trends.
Flag
I don't have a problem with his wardrobe, only with the fact that he never changes clothes. Try that for three weeks and see whether people notice.
Flag
And the fact that he's walking about in period costume that looks somewhat ragged. he can keep the coat but he really should update his clothes.
Flag
They can do that after some extra makes fun of his clothing. Crane is a point of comdey.
Flag
comedy.*
Flag
Flag
Flag
or 200 years!
Flag
Instead of Ike, can we call him iBod from now on?
Flag
"Things that confused/intrigued/made Ichabod sad this week: remote controls, the plight of the Native Americans."

Energy drinks!
Flag
Staff
I meant to include Ichabod's reaction to that in a different note. Guess I forgot. Thanks for bringing that up. I loved that scene.
Flag
I could sit here and nit pick. But dammit the show is just flat out entertaining. I could pick at that the sister would not qualify for psychiatric care simply because she stole some survival goods and said it was because of end times. But the show is entertaining, the visuals are entertaining and it is just fun to sit back and see what they come up with.
Flag
Exactly. the show is just fun. It's as simple as that. It isn't taking itself too seriously, so it knows that it's just great fun. I respect that. I mean you could nitpick until the cows come home, but this isn't a show that needs the nitpicking becuase it isn't trying to convince us of anything. It just is. I sometimes find some of the criticism of this show a little off-putting and insulting at times, becuase the audience is degraded and there are these implications that we have no sense of quality or even intellect for enjoying something of this nature, but entertainment is entertainment.
Flag
People still watch things like Goonies, Monster Squad, and any number of just silly movies and shows that from the outset don't take themselves seriously. When you are covering ridiculous topics you can either do what Sleepy Hollow does and just point it out from the get go and let it marinate with the viewer. Someone, on that set, wrote out everything common items do. That to me is hilarious. And the others that don't turn into Revolution or Under the Dome.

A good case in contrast is If Revolution had done the same thing. And just outright said we are goofy, we are fun. Come watch us be goofy and fun and you won't regret the hour you give us of your viewership. But they didn't, so people poked holes in all of their silly seriousness.

Flag
Y2K anybody? We may have called the die hard fanatics nuts, but their behavior was understandable.
Flag
I rather enjoyed this episode but yeah the final confrontation with faceless monster was kinda meh, could've been more intense or cool I don't know it lacked impact.
I am proud to say that I'm starting to like Abbie, ok Ichabod is way more interesting but she is becoming more substantial.
I think Jenny is awesome want more of her.
when the good doctor jumped I was like "weren't you guys supposed to use a net or something?"
And I miss evil John Cho and beheading scenes
Flag
Here's the main problem with this episode (and probably series) the entire premise is just dumb. Why on earth is one sister in a mental institute and the other isn't?

Just saying she saw a demon is flat out stupid. Kids talk about imaginary friends and such all the f-ing time. Is she a danger to herself or others?
Not a single sign of it was shown so far.

The officer would just assume she's a moron and release her.
Seriously? She's been kept there for 20+ years just because when she was a kid she saw a demon?
Flag
The premise of the series is that there were already two groups that either support the Demon and others who fight it prior to the arrival of the Headless heorseman and Ichabod. this is what Abbie read in the Sheriff's archives which she uncovered in the pilot. The assumption then is that the interrogator of the sisters was an agent of the Demon trying to find out to what extent where they aware of their master. I will not be surprised if we discover that the asylum is a hotbed or HQ for the Demon and his agents.
Flag
Doesn't seem like that's what the writers are going for.
It seems as if a major portion of last episode was that Abbie felt guilty because she didn't say she saw a demon and her sister was locked up because of it.

Abbie flat out says that in the episode.

Even if you are correct, and something fishy is going on, that still doesn't excuse how Abbie doesn't have common sense to realize that no one is locked in a mental institute unless they are a danger for themselves or others.
Flag
Unfortunately, there are many cases of people ending up in mental institutes and not belonging there, to the point that it is a prolific literary trope.
We have already seen that the Demon has Officer Chou as his agent and wanted to bring back the witch as another; so there has to be others. The beheaded Sheriff and the Priest in the pilot where agents against the Demon as well and similarly there must be others.
OF course, abbie says she is guilty of not supporting her sister ; but you yourself made the point initially that kids invent imaginary friends, and the like. This would not warrant her sister being dragged to a mental institute , kicking and screaming. At most, child services would recommend the child to follow some kind of therapy.
Flag
I guessing the robbery didn't go smoothly, and Jenny ended up in there because of it.
Flag
The first episode to disappoint me so far; So is Ichabod going to dress like he's in a period piece every episode; where does he gets his clothes, the local community theater? It's pretty silly and is getting old fast seeing that we see him in flashbacks dressed in period clothes anyway. Abby's still seemed to think her sister was crazy and calling her a criminal for doing basically what she's doing now; fighting demons (Or at least arming herself to fight demons) was bad writing. The doctor pretty much confessed what she did wrong same as Abby and that didn't stop the Sandman, The Native American guy seemed really out of place and the character seemed off as far as characterization, "Check out Criminal Minds" native American episode if you want to see it done right and more realistic. Any chemistry that was argued about in my previous two reviews was shut down in this episode, they didn't have any chemistry what so ever together and the way the Demon died was just a little silly. I'm not a happy camper with this episode.
Flag
seems like alot of people are getting grumpy over Ike's wardrobe. One thing to keep in mind is that before the invention of the cotton gin, clothes were not mass produced, but handmade. Nature of the beast in that was, clothes were very expensive & the vast majority of people didn't have the kind of money to blow on frivolous things like fashion. In reality, most people had only a single outfit & they did what they could to care for what they had in order to make it last as long as possible.

In Ike's case, he woke up owning nothing but the clothes on his back & it's simply his habit to wear & upkeep what he's got regardless of the era he's in.

Sure, It wouldn't hurt to hit a box store & buy some jeans & T-shirts or something, but hey...old habits are gonna die hard. Maybe by season 2 he'll try on a new pair of boots or something.
Flag
You mean to tell me that his "Friend" Abby didn't even take him to the Good Will much less a regular store to get the man a pair of jeans and a shirt, I can defy logic and say okay the Sandman just tried to kill them; but the devils in the details; no one in sleepy hollow seems to notice he's dressed for Halloween. Let him dress in period clothes in flashback because it seems we will get them a lot seeing that all the demons they face are something he can relate to his past. If they are going to have him dress like that no one in the real world will take him seriously when he's walking into mental institutions and crime scenes dressed like that. Episode 1 okay, episode 2 um really, by episode 3 it gets the eye roll and he's still dressed the same way in episode 4, also where does he live? Is he getting paid by the police department? He's not objecting to trying new things like energy drinks, so the fish out of water thing will get old if it's expected to play out for seven years.
Flag
Don't get me wrong. Odds are, he'll buy some modern clothes eventually. I was just throwing up some basic logic as to why Ike's most likely still in the same clothes. Honestly, with all the flaws the show has, people fixating negatively on the Dude's fashion sense is little more than simply making a tempest in a teacup or a mountain out of a molehill.

Instead of looking at it like a modern TV viewer watching TV, put your head into the character: He woke up in a world he doesn't understand. Everyone he has ever known or loved is dead. He's utterly alone in a completely alien environment. If it were me & I woke up a couple centuries in the future, I'd probably not make a point to rush out immediately for era-specific clothing for multiple reasons, but mostly because the clothes I would have on would bring me a sense of comfort on more than just a physical level. I believe it would help me maintain my sanity. My personal sense of style is archaic as it is now & as far as how others would judge me based on how I dress a couple centuries from now, eff 'em. their opinions would be irrelevant to me until I began to acclimatize to the era.

Also, just because three weeks & three episodes have passed for us, doesn't mean the same amount of time has passed in the Hollow. I'd guess it's only been about a week...maybe even less. That's nuthin'

More +
Flag
We will have to agree to disagree; as a writer I like to do things that makes sense and doesn't insult my audience intelligence, no one is going to have a man dressed like that working for the police department and going on cases and there's no sane reason why characters and extras have no reaction to the way he's dressed, as a producer and director; I understand the reason why they chose to keep him in his clothes, "Basically they dumb it down for the audience."
Flag
Rule number one exception unless you are talking to the Winchesters hahha hilarious.

Except for the encyclopedia of monsters that Crane could of had, the DeLorean bit would of been funnier if Ichabod had asked to see it (which I wonder why he didn't) Also the energy drink confused him hahhah. We should make what confuses Ichabod into a drinking game.

Also the Greek the demon spoke (the "ancient" language they use is actually Greek I should know, half Greek living in Greece) was much better this week. What I thought was anticlimatic was the way she found out her sister disappeared at end of episode.

Agree the parents story is a good tidbit for us to wonder about & Crane should not change his clothes for a while, for that matter his hair either. The boyfriend irritates me, he seems like he is gonna end up being a baddie.

"I broke a wall" also funny.
Flag
No, never change the hair; the hair is perfect.
Flag
This is probably my third time writing this, but I think the confession Abby needed to make was of her cowardice. When she was telling Ichabod the facts, she was still rationalizing (in a very black/white version of the universe). I also felt like this episode was rushed and showed something I fear may happen, dream sequence, glimpse of particular bad guy, show up to examine victim, quick download of info and Abby is resistant to supernatural of it all, too late on second victim, Abby buys in, they fairly easily dispatch said bad guy.

But yes, I feel like they should be taking pages from both Supernatural and Grimm for advice. I kind of hope we get some clarity on a team that we might be relying on (which I assume is what Irving and Morales are there for - to be eventual team members). I like the idea that was presented in the photo recap - that maybe Irving is like, I don't know, one of the arch angels who might be observing the info gathering and not interfering thing - you know what I assume Castiel was supposed to be doing before he decided he needed to save Dean from Hell.

But like you, even with my issues, I still kind of liked the episode. But Abby, your hair is going to drive me nuts, up or down please. You almost literally have the same hair style as Ichabod who you at least believe is from the 1770s.
More+
Flag
...Abby is resistant to supernatural of it all,...

I don't think this part is going to continue. As you said, Abbie needed to confront her cowardice this episode. It wasn't just her past with her sister, but the entire supernatural world and her involvement with it. At the end of the episode, she's a lot calmer and more open to conversation with Crane and she basically asks him, "Will it always be like this?" She accepts what's coming, she just hopes it won't be crazy and too much to handle. She's still going to have WTF moments because come on, even Sam and Dean have those, but she's not going to be in denial anymore.
Flag
I hope they manage to turn it from disbelief to just total increduliouty because I think that will be funny since I kind of think that Ichabod would join her in that reaction but he is holding the supernatural torch right now. But I do keep thinking, they need to actually make him a little more doubtful about things because, well, despite everything, he was being kept in the dark about all the supernatural things his wife was involved in.
Flag
True, he is a little too gung ho. Then again, he was pretty damn shocked when the Steve stood up after chopping off his head. I guess if you "die" and wake up in the future (especially THIS one) you pretty much just go with the flow after that. Nothing else can surprise you.
Flag
Yeah, but at some point I just wonder if he thinks, you know in quiet moments, to himself that maybe from the time he was sliced on the battle field he has been dead and this is just all elaborate afterlife stuff that his mind is making up.
Flag
Last week it drove me crazy that the sister looked so familiar, and I still couldn't figure out where I had seen her. I still couldn't figure it out this week, so I had to imdb her. Feel pretty silly now. I've seen every episode of her other show.
Flag
I can understand why nobody wants to give Crane modern clothes :D
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members