A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Sleepy Hollow S01E04: "The Lesser Key of Solomon"

Sleepy Hollow's insane quest continued last night as Abbie and Ichabod were determined to locate Jenny before the authorities closed in on her, and although the story followed a similar monster of the week pattern as the previous two installments, the tables were turned when the enemy they were facing turned out to be humans—Hessians, to be exact—and not a supernatural baddie. 

This worked in the show's favor, because although the humans were after a supernatural artifact—one that would open a doorway to hell—they were human and their story intertwined with the overall story arc as it related to Abbie, Jenny, Ichabod, the Headless Horseman, and the creepy demon guy who's the mastermind behind all of this. No witchy woman, no faceless nightmare monster, just good old fashioned Hessians causing trouble in Sleepy Hollow. 

But before I dive in to the meat of the story—and it was pretty meaty—first I'd like to discuss the latest round of Ichabod Experiences Technology, because it might be the best one we've seen yet. What we assumed was a standard voiceover opening about love and Ichabod's history with Katrina, was actually a very real conversation Ichabod was having with the emotionally fragile NorthStar (the show's version of OnStar) Assistance woman in Abbie's car. When Yolanda tearfully thanked him for his help, his reply was the purest form of perfection: "It is I who should thank you, kind woman, for unlocking this vehicle from afar. And for showing me how the entertainment system operates." And just for fun, in case you want to relive that moment again and again, I've embedded it below:

The show has certainly cut back on the jokes about Ichabod's confusion regarding the world in 2013, which makes sense as he's slowly adjusting to present day, but the series still knows when to bring it out and how to play it for laughs when it wants to. Ichabod/Technology = I ship it.

Now, as for the rest of the episode, the mystery of what's happening in and around Sleepy Hollow continued to unravel itself as Abbie and Ichabod tracked Jenny down through her old foster home. She was hanging out at Sheriff Corbin's old cabin after stopping by her friend's bar to pick up a bag she stashed there prior to her trip to the psychiatric hospital. Inside was a gun, money, passports, and an old newspaper article about the Sheriff and Abbie. And just last week Jenny had claimed she didn't know the guy. It was nice of Jenny to finally start lying just when we wanted her to open up! Women.

But Abbie and Ike eventually did track her down and together they discovered a map hidden in a sextant, an instrument used to measure the angle between two visible objects. That George Washington was a sneaky guy, hiding maps in things like that, no wonder we won the war! Oh, and LOL at Ichabod having made up the Boston Tea Party as a diversionary tactic in order to steal a mysterious supernatural artifact from the British on Washington's orders. According to Ichabod, the Boston Tea Party was known at the time as The Destruction of the Tea, which is exactly why we aren't letting Ichabod name anything else ever again. 

The artifact in question was a book—The Lesser Key of Solomon (which is a real thing, by the way)—on demonology. It allegedly gave instructions on how to raise 72 souls from the pits of hell to do the conjurer's dirty work. I really need my car washed and to go to the post office, so I'm kind of debating finding myself a copy and raising my own errand boys. I'm just saying it might be convenient. 

Meanwhile, Abbie, Ichabod, and Jenny didn't really see it that way, so once the sextant with the treasure map was stolen by some angry Hessians, they were dead set on getting some answers. After spewing a whole lot of junk about creepy demon guy and how he's just one guy and there are plenty more like him, the lead Hessian—who you should all have recognized as the evil Wolf 'The Dentist' Stansson from D2: The Mighty Ducks—pulled an Eva Braun and chomped down on the cyanide capsule in his tooth. Typical. It didn't matter in the end, though, because Ike's got a magic memory and knew where to look for it all along! Eventually the trio were able to track down the remaining two Hessians and stop them from completing the ritual to raise the 72 souls, but not before some crazy ridiculous imagery.

If I was upset last week about how the show handled Abbie's confession to the faceless nightmare monster regarding her guilt, I think it did a satisfactory job this week building the backstory between Abbie and Jenny and making me feel the guilt Abbie's been carrying around with her all this time. Not only did we find out the truth about why Abbie and Jenny were placed in foster care (dad split, mom had a nervous breakdown and was hospitalized), but Jenny's also proving to be an asset. She often worked with Sheriff Corbin regarding matters of the supernatural, tracking down mysterious artifacts for him from around the world. But she's also a great foil to Abbie. Their chemistry as sisters is believable, and the fractured relationship they have works better when it's not so one-sided. Team Jenny! 

That being said, I'm not ready to completely trust Jenny either. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this eventually becomes a good versus evil story somewhere down the line, nor would I be surprised to find out that Jenny was actually the second witness and not Abbie at all. This is a common theme in supernatural shows—siblings being on the opposite side of the fight—so don't go making friendship bracelets for Abbie and Jenny just yet. 

This episode, while still essentially a baddie of the week setup, really moved the major season-long story arc ahead, while also giving us some major answers. The creepy demon guy we've been seeing is a real ancient Ammonite god named Moloch! A cursory glance at Wikipedia contains the words child sacrifice, so he seems like a pretty chill guy, I suppose. And Ichabod was telling the truth when he said Moloch was mentioned in John Milton's Paradise Lost, so they're not rewriting literature like they are American history. I like that the writers are pulling from actual source material and not just making all this crap up as they go. It keeps the story from spinning wildly off into territory not even they can come back from. 

NOTES FROM THE SHERIFF'S FILES

Decapitations this week: 1, the bartender. But it wasn't the Horseman. He was tortured by the Hessians for information about Jenny.

Things that confused Ichabod this week — Somalia (legitimate)

— Is it just me or does it seem really easy to dispatch of all the demons and baddies and stuff? Super quick fire (witch), Abbie confesses her guilt (Sandman), throwing a book in to the pit (The Lesser Key of Solomon). At least make it look like this is hard, guys.

— So there are just a ton of Hessians just out there in Sleepy Hollow waiting to be called up? Seems legit. But do they all have creepy dungeons in their basements?

— "Five second recap: Revolutionary soldier, his wife put a spell on him and we wakes up two centuries later. Now he's here." — Uh, why isn't this the Previously On... segment?

— "This is the perfect time to ask about my childhood." 

— Do you ship Ichabod and technology?

thekaitling:list:sleepy-hollow-what-did-you-think-of-the-lesser-key-of-solomon/

151 Comments
Comments (151)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"They left without a farewell. How impolite."
Flag
Ichology FTW!
Flag
I SO ship Ike/Technology! Watched the clip with "Northstar" and giggled all over again!
Flag
I ship the Crane/Tech jokes. They are awesome.

But can the dude please get some new clothes? In the 1700s, people often wore the same clothes day-in-day-out, but we're in 2013 now; someone get him new clothes. I imagine those old duds are pretty ripe by now!
Flag
Let me be honest for a min.. I HATED National Treasure (I blame it on the trailer) and have not watched the sequel to this day. This show is very similar and this current episode really kicked in the premise of the flicks. But I like this show( perhaps the Horror element) and this episode in particular i thought was the best of the season. Key information was dispersed and I-man's conversation with NorthStar was a gut buster..Grade A- Battle Notes (1) A small thing i loved.. when I-man grabbed the gun he didn't become Martin Riggs( sharpshooter) (2) So Jenny learned combat training over seas ..A freedom fighter?? uh OK??
(3)Defeating Evil once a week!! Ain't NO THANG in the HOLLOW!!
Flag
Meh...
This particular episode left me rather disappointed, I have to say. Too cliche in so many ways, and just in plain bad taste. Once again, we have to have the "Evil German" element sprinkled around. I will admit, that Crane's conversation with the OnStar, sorry, NorthStar (as we have to abide by copyright laws) operator was quite amusing. I had a good laugh. Mison's English-Gentlemanly speech was almost Shakespearean, though his German could still use some work if you ask me.
That aside, it seems since writers already have trouble coming up with truly original ideas for "time-traveler" entertainment (as they have to dip Washington Irving's tales for inspiration), they gotta throw a some more Neo-Nazi-esque characters for good measure, not to mention, foiling with history some more (during the real Boston Tea Party, the colonist rebels dressed up as Native Americans--something the episode didn't even show). Most people fail to realize that Hessians were actually slaves in all but name. They were not hired, they were shipped off as "mercenaries" by the prince of their province (Germany was not a united country back then). The Prince was the one who received payment from the British royal family (who were also Germanic, by the way--many royals were, and thus, related as well). The Hessians had little choice, but hope that their families back home would maybe be provided for in exchange for their "service" to the British armies. Many of these men came from the principality of Hesse (which is why they came to be known as "Hessians"). This may also explain why many German immigrants to the country were also African slave abolitionists.
That being said, it was just plain dumb that the writers for this show should suggest the Hessians were just early, relic-loving, torture-mongering, devil-worshiping Nazis as well as their "descendants". Interesting how the "head Hessian" (played by Danish actor, Carsten Norgaard) pulled a "Himmler" to "escaped prosecution" for his role and "dungeon of horrors" through a cyanide pill. Let me guess, his piano instructions consisted mostly of Wagner, right? If these "descendants" had been in Sleepy Hollow all this time since the Revolution, why do they still have "German" accents? Why does it have to be German to "call" upon Moloch? I suppose German being the "harsh-sounding" language it is along with her dark and horrible history of the Holocaust (which I will not deny) was just too juicy of an (cliche) idea to pass up.
Look, I like the show, mostly, but it has some flaws that I can't help but complain about some, right? I just hope things get a little less cliche and less twisting around of real history. I understand there has to be some, given the nature of the plot, but come on! May be have a Hessian-descendant whose a "good guy" for a change? After all, there are both good and bad witches, right?
More+
Flag
Ok, I like this show, and I also liked Zero Hour. The shows are a bit similar, so why are people taking to Sleepy Hollow as opposed to Zero Hour? Why did people trash Zero Hour but not this? I really don't see much difference.
Flag
Ichabod/technology for ever! :D
Flag
Things that confused Ichabod this week — Somalia (legitimate)= How does Ichabod even know about the rest of the places? Unless he was a really well-read and educated Colonist or a cartography enthusiast I don't think he would have known about them at that period in time.
— Is it just me or does it seem really easy to dispatch of all the demons and baddies and stuff? Super quick fire (witch), Abbie confesses her guilt (Sandman), throwing a book in to the pit (The Lesser Key of Solomon). At least make it look like this is hard, guys.= Maybe they are trying to send the message that what we are afraid of looks bigger and scarier than it actually turns out to be when we confront it head on. Just saying.

— So there are just a ton of Hessians just out there in Sleepy Hollow waiting to be called up? Seems legit. But do they all have creepy dungeons in their basements?= I hope not, that would be really creepy. That would be a very interesting storyline to follow up on from time to time. I'm waiting for some law enforcement person to assume that one of them is a Neo-Nazi because of being Hessian (German) and having all kinds of weird stuff in their basement.
— "Five second recap: Revolutionary soldier, his wife put a spell on him and we wakes up two centuries later. Now he's here." — Uh, why isn't this the Previously On... segment? She summed it up rather succinctly I do believe.
— Do you ship Ichabod and technology? YES!!! I love things like this. I was so disappointed that the writers of LOST missed out on the opportunity to do this with Richard Alpert. I know they had a whole plan going on for the end of the series, but this would have been totally worth it for a bonus featurette type thing.

More+
Flag
Well, while I agree that the "monsters" have been quite easy to get rid of, I think that's the point. They have to start off small and slowly work their way upward. This gives Ichabod and Abbie time to learn the ropes and the game as they get better at this evil-hunting business, while also giving Mollock time to gather energy to summon more powerful entities to cause havoc on Sleepy Hollow.

My guess anyway. I just expect to see the monsters getting scarier/more dangerous as we go, with the expected "filler" monster every so often so that they don't, uh, level up too quickly.

Also, random, but I'm not convinced Jenny or Katrina are actually good. Maybe I'm taking her words too literally in the idea of not to trust anybody, but I just don't! I'm expecting there to be some sort of twist with one or both of these ladies before we are through.
Flag
I'm confused. What is it with people speaking German in US-American shows? - Aren't there ANY actors or actresses AT ALL who are native speakers?
The Hessian soldier who performed a special form of self-combustion in the beginning was speaking such an incredible mumbo-jumbo that I couldn't understand ONE single word. Doesn't anyone notice that most people speaking German in US-series (or even high-budget Hollywood movies) are doing that most of the time with an embarassing accent - and sometimes, even the ancient dialect of some Mormons is used as if it was regular modern German? There must be some Germans in the U.S. who notice such things, right? (Did they flee the country?)
Kudos to Tom Mison, though (or to his language teacher) - his interpretation was much more convincing than that of the so-called "Germans" (or "Hessians") in this episode. Jawohl! :D
And, on a lighter note: despite the rather light-weight storylines, Icky's old-fashioned British accent combined with his exploration of modern times and technology make me chuckle every time. Now only if they could make the show into something more than just a "Supernatural" spin-off with a twist...
How about more sinister plots? Or rather humorous ones? - But please stop this formulaic cat-and-mouse game with bad guys who are easier to defeat than Winnie the Pooh (like in the previous episode: confessing that you made a bad decision - and, POOF, gone? COME ON!). - This isn't your average "Honey Boo Boo"-audience! - Thank you.
More+
Flag
Another great episode the beginning was just funny and clever this show is becoming one of my favourites
Flag
Much like last week, this week I still REALLY miss Steve & the demon thingie was akin to a bait & switch,,,That said, I really liked the rest of it. Ike got his tech on in a way that made me grin from ear to ear, Abbie & Jenny set themselves up to potentially be tag-team demon fightin, tribulatin' bad asses with Ike acting as their referee & all around bookworm of useful historic info & we still hold a backlog of interesting characters waiting in the wings just waiting to become truly cool when the demonic shit hits the mortal fan.

Patience is a virtue & all that, so my mantra remains: wait for it...wait for it...
Flag
I love this show! Crane’s conversation with Yolanda from NorthStar, his verbal smackdown of the Mills sisters & his “talk” with the Hessian were high points of the ep for me. The last scene with the sisters was nuanced & meaningful, really well done. I’m SO glad this got picked up!

I can't say enough good things about the actors on this show & their chemistry with one another. Tom Mison could read the phone book to me. All. Day. Long. :)

Finally, I can't decide if Capt. Irving knows something or not. OR if he's good guy or not. He seems to know *something* since he basically gives Abbie & Crane carte blanche in any investigation. I guess time will tell...

Flag
re: "According to Ichabod, the Boston Tea Party was known at the time as The Destruction of the Tea, which is exactly why we aren't letting Ichabod name anything else ever again. "

A minor nitpick, he didn't say he named it. That is really how it was known, the first reference to "Boston Tea Party" was in 1834 (according to wikipedia at least).
Flag
The On star bit was great!! It summed up Crane's emotions (Very intense) about the whole situation and it was a great laugh. That's a good use of product placement.
Flag
  • This show is like my new addiction I can rewatch an every episode three times a week (okay, yeah I have a great deal of things I should be doing. I really should be doing so many things. ALL the things, but I can't help myself. Who needs sleep? Am I right?) I mean it is bat sh!t insanity and I don't know what the hell is going on half of the time and I don't even care because I am entertained, dammit. I'm always entertained.
  • I had to have replayed that beginning with Ichabod and Northstar's Yolanda a dozen times. It was just the most hilarious thing ever. Definitely one of my favorite of the Ichabod vs. Technology moments. Tom Mison is just incredible can we just bask in the amazingness of him and his line delivery and mannerisms. He's such a nuanced actor, everything from the slightest of movements to his eyes, to his voice and the way in which he delivers his lines....love him, absolutely love his character as a result. I adored the way he stretched the "o" or whatever it was he did when he pronounced Yolanda. The texture and tone of his voice was perfection.I don't know how he pulls off some of these scenes without cracking up. I know I would have. It was also a fantastic way of bringing up Katrina again, because if she isn't immediately present or brought up it can be rather easy to forget about her. I'm just sayin'.
  • This man has fought in the Revolutionary war, worked closely with the first President of the US in this war against the unknown, he's currently recovering from being in a witch induced coma for over two centuries, his wife is suspended in another realm, and he's currently fighting to prevent the apocalypse, and yet nothing was as difficult as keeping the Mills sisters from going at each other's throats! LOL! I loved how he called them both out on their crap, and these two strong, fierce, badass chicks not only listened but had the decency to look as though they were just scolded by their father. Another one of my fave moments. Along with the way in which Ichabod practically lifted Abbie out of the way to proceed with his sexton demonstration, and she relented but begrudgingly. For some reason that had me in hysterics.
  • the Corbin and Jennifer development was interesting. It makes you truly respect and enjoy this character despite the fact that he's dead now. I hope he keeps having a heavy presence looming over them, because he's just as integral to the plot and pivotal to the character development as the main characters. There was some relief that Jenny wasn't completely alone growing up, that he took an interest in her every bit as much as he did Abbie but was smart enough to know that they weren't ready to be in each other's lives to that extent yet. I mean this guy unofficially adopted the Mills sisters, mentoring them, taking interest in them, and setting them up on their respective paths...helping them discover their calling an purpose.
  • Jenny Mills is freaking awesome. I mean she's super badass. The girl is freaking scary. I loved how Icha was all intrigued by her being this rebel/freedom fighter. He's in awe of the Mills sisters. As am I.
  • I love the very real friction between Abbie and Jenny. I love that they know how to show both sides, so that you can sympathize and understand each sister's plight and you don't resent/hate/ or loathe one over another. Jenny got screwed. Clearly she was always the one to speak her mind and do what she felt was right..honest and open with abandon, fearless and fierce. She did what was right and she got screwed for it, and her sister abandoned her. But then, most people would have probably responded in the way that Abbie did. especially given their past, their background. There was a very real and genuine fear of losing her mind, of having a nervous breakdown, or being considered crazy. There were very real consequences to telling the truth.
  • I can definitely see Jenny being the real second witness. I don't think she'd be on the side of evil though. As militant as she comes across, she too seems to always be "on the right side of history" so to speak, so she'd have to have a really solid motive to be working against her sister and Crane and on the side of the four horsemen.
  • The Hessian sleeper cell thing was interesting. Sort of like Cold war Russian sleeper cell type of stuff. I agree though that they seem to defeat these evils with too much ease. Especially since half the time they seem to do it by accident or pure luck.
More+
Flag
I had this bizarre dream once where I unintentionally made a pact with the devil (he put my arm back on after it was cut off) and I was to be forced to dice green peppers, no lie, for eternity. He made a lot of huff and puff and gloated about it, and there was a band around my arm where he had refastened it, and kept repeating, "You can never take it off! EVER!" So, I took it off, and he disappeared.

That's kind of how this episode felt. While it was not bad, and I'm happy to have a new show to watch, the way they wrap up each individual episode seems pretty anti-climactic given the lead-ins.
Flag
Well, as a professional for over four decades in the spiritual cleaning of haunted places and occult assistance, I can say that virtually 99% of the times it is easy to achieve. With experience I came to realize that it only gets to breaking the original egregore , the spiritual chain, that gets the job done. I say with experience, because while it is relatively easy, the issue at hand is more to know exactly what is the nature of the harmful egregore that needs to be "diagnosed" or else the efforts simply fail and unfortunately, backfire. Where it becomes dicey is when the forces of opposition are very stable ,and therefore, strong. Although the instance here of throwing the grimoire into the portal makes no sense.
When I worked at the occult bookstore, the mentioned Clavicula Salomonis was maybe among the most sold books of the so-called grimoires on ceremonial magic. It is one of the first works an initiate will study for his mastery, and as such is absolutely useless. It becomes activated and useful only when one considers the several rituals and ceremonies by a comparison of what each is lacking; like pieces of a puzzle. In that light, I think its mention here is interesting. The writers seem to want to correlate the different types of magic and occult philosophies into a coherent drama. In real life, this is the single worst mistake that intiates make and it usually ends very badly for them. As fiction, it is fascinating speculation, and opens up to discussions that can be quite profound.
Choosing the Hessians as the Big Baddies will probably be sooner or later an attempt to link the villans with the Prussian Illuminati and culminating with the Vrill and the Thule Society that influenced Nazi Occultism. However, linking these secret societies with the Judeo-Christian demon, Moloch is impossible, for the simple reason that these are anti-semite, Volkish, traditions that reject everything of the monotheistic traditions entirely. So I am curious as to how they will explain this, if they will.
The use of Moloch as the Supreme Baddie is strange, but why not. He has been associated as the adversary of God among Isrealites as mentioned in Leviticus 20:2-5. More recently, Moloch was associated with fianacial greed, which might be more a propos here.He is the demon of child sacrifice, which is what makes the sisters seeing him significant, he is also one among the first to rebel according to tradition.
More+
Flag
Damn, read this review in the middle of making friendship bracelets :-).

Would not mind seeing some more difficulty despatching demons, someone other than guest stars getting the screws put to them. I liked Icky's arm cut off by the sandman, but a few scratches, trauma and some doubt and insecurity in the real world wouldn't go astray when facing the end of the world.

You would think all these Moloch following Hessians and their secret tattoos would stand out in Sleepy Hollow and is John Cho a Hessian or just one unlucky SOB? I'm sure each Hessian got the creepy dungeon/basement package with S.H.'s real estate agent.

Not sure about the intro idea, could be fun, do they show hot witch doing some arm raised Abra Cadabra and Ichabod traversing the centuries with multi-coloured expanding rings ala Buck Rogers? I think some kind of spinning Ichabod will be necessary to indicate time travel and then there's the headless horseman with/without horse. Actually I dig the lack of intro, if you don't know what you're watching then figure it out or get outta here (it's back to the pilot for you!).

About your childhood?

Ichabod + Technology = Laughs
More+
Flag
There's a pair of brother that could give these sisters training ;)
Flag
How long is Ichabod going to be in the same clothes? They must smell by now. Keep the coat but come on a new shirt occasionally would be nice.
Flag
Maybe he washes them every night and hang them to dry for the morning? Ha ha. I don't know whats up with his clothes, but I'm actually wondering where he is going to get more of those clothes. I don't want his look to change. I like that he looks different and is set apart. I mean that is the whole point is that he is out of place...out of his time.
Flag
Staff
I feel like Abbie would have told him he smelled if he wasn't washing his clothes all the time. Plus, in the span of the show, not that much time has actually passed.
Flag
I think Abbie would have said something too. Also I don't want him to change his look just like I said a new shirt, pants. Freshen up! He is meant to not fit in.
Flag
The Destruction of the Tea is (typically American) re-named the Boston Tea Party by clever writers;
that was laugh out loud funny
Flag
I sort of agree that some of the baddies are easy to dispatch. However, these myths were written when people were very very simple. Most ancient "evil" were based upon playing on the fears from people existing outside of societal norms. The sandman exists to keep people telling the truth, being honest about things and being a "good" person. So it really doesn't bother me that they are easily dispatched just as easily as they were to make up. Besides, these guys are foot soldiers, they have to be somewhat easily dispatched otherwise they are going to need a freaking MOAB bomb ala Under the Dome to deal with the horsemen.

This isn't really an action series, if it were i would expect some more violence and difficulty at dispatching baddies. But this is just a fun romp and we get to sit back and watch the chemistry between Ike and everyone else. Which I have to say is pretty good thus far. It is just fun.
Flag
I too am a little confounded by the ease with which they dispatch the bad guy (and sigh, Supernatural/Grimm thing again...I don't know that they are still early on and separate out the character development and then the dealing with the stuff and both the other shows kind of do the character development through dealing with stuff and we have to be satisfied with like pre credit or post event bad guy dealing where we have relationship issues, which if I am being totally honest...Sleepy Hollow don't change what you are doing because the first forty five minutes of the episode were excellent)

Anyone else really try and focus on Irving's face when he approached the Moloch words on the Hessian's basement wall? Seriously he knows something.

New blond cop- red shirt or Hessian solider of evil?

I am the responsible sibling, so, you know, I am more Team Abbie...but this trio dynamic might be super fun (and clearly Ichabod finds Jenny fascinating, but he is totally on Abbie's side).
Flag
I don't think its easy to dispatch the bad guys when I picture Abbie trying to get rid of the witch or Ichabod the Sandman: they just know how to delegate.

I reckon it would be a completely different story if that wouldn't be case
Flag
I agree that these bad guys, besides "Steve the Headless Horseman" are almost insultingly easy to kill off. This, in my opinion, is the only weakness of the show. Having monsters that are killed by the first thing that's thrown at them (besides bullets, cause they NEVER work) is a lazy way to resolve the situation and ruins the monster they hype for the entire episode. Compare this to Buffy and Supernatural. Both have quick final battles with the Monsters of the Week, but they have tension because USUALLY the monster will shrug off anything the heroes throw at it and the heroes will have to use the monster's one weakness mentioned earlier against it, killing it off. The monsters of Sleepy Hollow look awesome, but they have no established weaknesses and as a result the first thing Ichabod and Abbie can grab once their guns run out is the thing that kills the monster. I wouldn't be surprised if during the season finale Moloch reveals his true form and Ichabod kills him with a mosquito bite.
Flag
If I were to switch places with Yolanda while she took Ichabod's phone call I will be asking him out rigth there even if I didn't know how the guy looked like... for reals! I have a weak constitution when it comes to accents.
Loved the dynamic between Jenny and Abbie! of course they figth! they have ton of issues they need to work cause they haven't seen each other in ages. Loved it.
So Moloch is the big bad guy? cool according to wiki the guy used to be a god that needed child sacrifice ... hope we don't get to watch that... eeewww.
"Five second recap: Revolutionary soldier, his wife put a spell on him and we wakes up two centuries later. Now he's here" is one (if not ) the best Abbie line so far.
Flag
I had assumed that Abbie and Jenny were the witnesses and Crane was just there to help them.
Flag
That's something I've been saying. Crane I believe is tied to the horseman and killing the horseman might kill him.
Flag
Now I'm thinking Sheriff Corbin was one of the witnesses, and the bad guys score 1 when the Headless Horseman beheaded him.
Flag
Still love the Ichabod and technology jokes. Yes they are scaling back on those and it's good but one or two here and there will keep up the comic relief.
I am so on Team Jenny. In just one full episode, she has already won me over. I don't care if she eventually goes evil and helps the demon. She's awesome.
It was good that we got to finally see the human evil-doers. It makes sense for the demon to have human allies. Don't demons always enlist evil humans for help? Now we can switch things up instead of having something supernatural every week for our heroes to fight. Sometimes a simple human story will be a good change up.
They do really need to find someway to give Abbie/Ichabod/Jenny some kind of supernatural power so the fight with all the evil beasties will be somewhat believable.
It was kind of silly just throwing the book in the fire and having that end it, but what other choice did they have?
I liked this episode. I thought it was a step up from last week.
Flag
I don't believe Jenny would go evil.. Unless her and her sister get into a huge fight.
Flag
Wouldn't it be cool if Abbie went evil and Jenny was the real savior?
Flag
I find Ichabod vs technology endearing, its like watching Abbie dealing with demons or Captain Irving with the whole Jenny mess.

Everyone in this show has a thing, tech is Crane's.
Flag
It does make us feel for him as a character. We already care about him cause he is the hero but it helps to show he's so lost and alone in a strange world that it makes him more sympathetic.
We definitely need more character development for Capt Irving. It's obvious that he's gonna play a part in the whole apocalypse but we need to get to know him better...
Flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Corbin befriended him just like he did with Jenny or the priest from the pilot.
Flag
Either that or he's working for the demon...
Flag
I am in love with this show and Ichabod Crane. Also, I loved the usage of German (I assume) in the episode, it made the whole thing seem a lot cooler and more legit...
Flag
yes they were speaking German, actually speaking the technically correct HochDeutsch - High German - as opposed to common German of the regular folks

Flag
"Is it just me or does it seem really easy to dispatch of all the demons and baddies and stuff?"

It's only going to continue this way, because of one major problem: neither Ichabod nor Abbie have the strength or superpowers to stand up in direct combat against any of the foes they've faced so far. Every solution has to be incredibly easy, unless they find a way to fix this problem.
Flag
Sam and Dean from Supernatural (excluding season 4) don't have any powers, but they have better climactic battles with the MOTW because the monsters all have weaknesses to ONE thing, and the fights are usually one of the brothers distracting the monster by throwing everything he has at it, while the other brother finds the item that can kill the monster and uses it/destroys it to kill the thing. Sleepy Hollow's monsters are all bullet proof (Except the human villains) but they also have no mentioned weaknesses and as a result they get killed by pretty much whatever else is lying around. Only the Headless Horseman himself has an established weakness (sunlight) and is invincible other than that, and that's why the first fight with him is the only climactic fight that is INTERESTING!
Flag
If anything, I think it might turn out that both Abbie and her sister are the two witnesses, not Abbie and Ichabod. I mean, they both blacked out in the forest for four days. That's gotta mean something- right?
Flag
So far, I've been thinking its Jenny and Abbie, Abbie and Ichabod, Ichabod and Jenny and, as of this episode, Corbin and one of the sisters.

The only reason I'm not so fond of that last one its because he died.
Flag
Ok, people! It seems you are all superpsyched to see some Hessians...granted we are a thrilling people. But still we don't usually have skulls in our basement, poisenes pills in our mouths or any stuff like that. We do however posses an interesting dialect. Like "Ei gude wie" which translates in "Hi, how are you?". Maybe Ichabod could use that next time. By the way, his German was really good, compared to that tattoo guy. And while I'm at, you know talking about Germany....WE DONT ALL LOVE DAVID HASSELHOFF! Its a myth, and maybe they should make a TV Show out of it...grrrrr. :) Good Night ;) Or "Gutts Nächtle" wie der Hesse sagt, der einen Schwaben immitiert ;)
Flag
Every week this show surprises me in some way or other. I love this and show! Great plot,awsome effects!!! and they already moved away from sister "drama".
Flag
I was sure they were going for a cheap sister-is-evil or sister-is-trying-to-steal-Ichabod cliche.

I'm so glad this show is better than that!
Flag
Honestly - I might have enjoyed this more than the pilot.
The show actually seems quite well researched, as wacky as it is. While I haven't manage do find any references to Ro'kenhronteys (I have such a hard time believing they would MAKE UP such a name), most other religious/magic/myth stuff are taken from real life. And the "true" stories behind the historical events are great.
This episode also gave me a true Fringe feeling, with the Hessians. If we're lucky, Sleepy Hollow could be to myths and history, what Fringe (at it's best) was to science. Abbie has still to live up to Olivia, While Captain Irving kinda is like a carbon copy of Broyles. And I guess, Ichabod has both Walter's fish-out-of-water back story, and Peter's charm. I kinda miss some of the darker sides of Fringe though, but then again - Fringe season 1 was kinda average....
Flag
''And the "true" stories behind the historical events are great.''

+1 This is one of the best things about the show,
Flag
"who you should all have recognized as the evil Wolf 'The Dentist' Stansson from"

He also played Kanwulf on Highlander.
Flag
Sheesh, got some sort of a wolf moniker typecasting thing going on. Speaking of Mighty Ducks 2, wow, those movies made me angry as a sports bettor. You got the team with consistent wins (sure they'r jerks) against the mixed bag of players who have been spotty all season play in the big final and then the underducks pull a miracle win in the duck v-formation. They should show some reality when Emilio and the ducks are all congratulating each other, half the stadium is tearing up their betting tickets. :-) Rant over
Flag
– Ichabod's German was better than this evil blonde piano teacher's :-X
– Nice cameo by the Red Dragon in the end, hope there won't be a crossover with Hannibal....
– Still wondering where Ichabod lives, sleeps and not-changes-his-clothes.
– Think I agree with ElisaDiaz; hope they'll put more focus on him being from a different time and not accustomed to the modern world.
Flag
Yeah, that's all I could think of too, I heard Ralph Fiennes voice in my head saying "Do you see?" and a teary Philip Seymour Hoffman whispering "..yes..".
Flag
I was assuming Ike has settled down in the hidden archives under the police station. The one he broke into the other week.
Flag
I thought about that, too, cause where else was he supposed to stay? But when there was no mentioning it in ep. 3, I started to wonder again... Anyway, I can't help thinking he should change his clothes, after decades in a cave! :-D
Flag
While I get people's argument that Ike should change his costume, from a hygienic POW, I totally oppose him changing, form a fashion perspective. I'm figuring (for everyone's sake) that Katrina, like the good wife (/witch/demonhunter) she is, left some 3-4 clean costumes along with her hubby in that cave.
Flag
I totally agree for both the fashion and the hygiene perspective!
Hope you're right – as a good supernatural wife, Katrina should've been provident enough to care for clean wardrobe... ;-)
Flag
This show is just flat out enjoyable.
Flag
I liked it. The fact they moved quickly over the sisters poor relationship and Abbie now believing all the spooky stuff happening in Sleepy Hollow was a good choice - her 5 second recap was a nice choice.
Also showing some other demons was a good move as well, admittedly they didnt do much but writhe around, but they showed the bigger threat they are facing, and also showed the possible havoc Moloch's Minions (TM) can unleash.

I was surprised that the Germans are involved in a scheme for world domination though.......
Flag
all i have to say is: wolf 'the dentist' stansson.

haha!
Flag
Staff
Super glad I was not the only one to make that connection!
Flag
I'm so glad they read my reaction last week and got the sister drama wrapped up at the end of the episode...

And again, I have to say, a pretty damn good episode.
Flag
Wasn't Moloch a demon from BTVS? It got trapped in the computer?!?...hmmm....
Flag
Moloch was a main god worshipped in Northern Africa and the Middle East some 3000 years ago. His less than favorable image in European literature (such as "Paradise Lost", as read by Abbie in the episode) mainly comes from the Hebrew Bible (books of Deuteronomy, Leviticus, et al.), where he symbolizes idolatry. The Moloch cult probably did include child sacrifice though.
It's even hinted in the Bible's First Book of Kings that the Israeli king Solomon came to worship Moloch, and in the 17th century, the book "The Lesser Key of Solomon" (the same one as appears in this episode) was written as a key (har-har!) work of demonology, and claimed to be from the pen of Solomon.
The valley of Gehenna outside Jerusalem is believed to have ben a cult site to Moloch (and other gods) before becoming the dumpsite used by Jesus to describe the burning fires of Hell.
Flag
s01e08 - I Robot, You Jane. Pretty good episode considering the technology at the time. As soon as I heard Moloch, I thought of that Buffy episode...
Flag
Moloch the Corruptor, one of the few demons actually based off bilbical mythology rather than legends or completely made up.
Flag
I like the cinematics of the show and Ichabod's speeches, but I'm afraid I am growing apart with the rest of it.
Flag
Ichabod's opening monologue was pretty funny.
Flag
Totally agree! I give the writers a gold star for creativity:
- charming 1:1 moment with Crane,
- recap of what happened to his wife,
- setting background to story,
- hilarious moment,
- and last but not least: product placement!!!!

ROFL!

As I already said: Crap! I am falling in lust with Mr. Mison...

PS: I am afraid CS reps from North Star are probably being the butt of many jokes...
Flag
I love this show. I like how they weave creepy mysterious stuff, the humorous stuff, and the serious stuff all together. Also, I'm really happy Abbie and Jenny are going to work together now.
Flag
LOVED IT. This show just keeps getting crazier.
Flag
I hope they introduce the other horsemen this season. Theyre probably mash-ups too. This show needs more ''die-hard villians". Thats one of the things people like about the headless horseman. You can't kill him, He keeps coming back for more.

These other demons are so frail, they couldnt survive a strong fart.
Flag
Well, the preview suggested that Pestilence will be showng up...
Flag
the preview looks almost like a movie. a good one too!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think I have to watch it again, I was kind of distracted during the episode...
Flag
I'm a little worried Ichabod felt the need to talk to someone else about his wife, espacially because the show established 2 episodes ago he didn't want to tell Abbie anything about Katrina.

The car scene means it's not that he's not ready to talk about his wife, he just doesn't want to talk to Abbie about it.
Flag
I think it helped that the women on the end of the phone was someone he did not know, and he talked about her in crypt way. Whereas Abbie would have more questions because she knows his wife is a witch and is some other place
Flag
True, I just don't like he feels the need to separate his wife from his Leftenant (made him look even more isolated somehow).

Then again, I don't like that Abbie feels the need to separate Corbin from Crane too, or that Corbin himself felt the need to separate his friendship from each of the Mills sisters, so maybe its just me.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I especially liked this episode of King Solomon's Key cos I studied this and they did their research on the witchcraft associated with it. It's great to have Jenny in the mix cos she's cool unlike Abbie. Also, Jenny does bear a resemblance to a younger Jasmine Guy. Nice job Sleepy Hollow.
Flag
Jenny and Jasmine couldve been twins if they werent born 20 years apart.
Flag
To me, Jenny is like a young Sarah Connor (from the movies, not the TV show).
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members