A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Sleepy Hollow S01E05: "John Doe"

So Sleepy Hollow had a baby with House, but was seeing Lost on the side and the result was "John Doe." Boom, review complete. (J/K.)

I'll admit that when I read the description of this week's episode I was a little concerned. And by a little concerned I mean I groaned and banged my head against the wall repeatedly. Because if there's one TV genre that I kind of dislike, it's the medical drama. A mysterious child with a mysterious disease and who's speaking a mysterious language that only Ichabod can understand does not sound like a great episode to me. But I think the batshit revelation that Thomas and the entire population of Roanoke (LOL @ that btw) were dead the whole time was just the right amount of crazy that I expect from Sleepy Hollow, and was enough to save the episode.

But let's rewind and start from the beginning. Ichabod has moved out of the motel and is now living in Sheriff Corbin's old cabin. Following an amusing moment about the meaning of spackling, and an even more amusing moment in which Ichabod was brought down by the hard plastic casing of doom that always covers literally everything of use to us (we've all been there, Ike), Abbie received a call and the two were off on their next case. 

Quick question: How much time has actually passed since the premiere? It can only be a like a week, right? I know that sounds ridiculous, but it doesn't seem like the world's done all that much turning between episodes. And if that's the case, shiiiiiiiit. Like, take a day off. Go get a beer. Relax. You deserve it!

When the dynamic duo arrived on the scene, they found a little boy who appeared to be suffering from Evil Willow Disease. Symptoms include black veins, speaking in ancient languages, and in advanced cases, flaying people alive. Luckily, Thomas—as we soon learned was his name—was only showing signs of the first two "afflictions." He spoke only in Middle English, a language not from Middle Earth as we had all hoped, but from the Middle Ages. Naturally, Ichabod understood it because he's a fancypants former history professor from Oxford who studied the language and took to it like I take to sleeping.

The bulk of the episode was spent tracking down the people of the Roanoke colony—that's where Thomas claimed he was from—and figuring out what plague he was carrying as quickly as possible so Abbie and Ichabod could keep it contained. It had already begun to spread to the first responders and nurses who were responsible for Thomas's care, and it made fast work of everyone from present day because they'd been vaccinated and their bodies didn't have the right antibodies to fight it. Abbie and Ichabod did eventually find the people of Roanoke, because after their colony had been infected by the plague, everybody packed up their belongings and followed the spirit of Virginia Dare—a real historical figure whose claim to fame is that she was the first child born in the Americas to English parents, and in this case the first person to fall victim to the disease—to a small island in the middle of nowhere near Sleepy Hollow. This series really should come with a disclaimer: WARNING: Don't think too hard about Sleepy Hollow otherwise your brain is likely to explode.

This week's plot is just the latest example of how Sleepy Hollow uses historical fact to its advantage, and the history nerd in me loved it. But I'd like to call shenanigans on Abbie never having heard of Roanoke before. Anyone who grew up in the United States and took a middle school history class learned about the Lost Colony of Roanoke. Maybe they taught it during those four days Abbie was passed out in the woods with Jenny and she never made up the homework, I don't know, but Roanoke and the story of its mysteriously vanished residents is pretty common knowledge. Guess Abbie's not done with the book-learnin'.

After Ichabod was infected with the mysterious disease, Abbie turned to God and asked for a sign. This was supposed to be a turning point in her character's story arc, as she believed and had faith, and therefore she was able to discern that the water in and around the island where the Roanoke people lived was what kept them from dying of the disease themselves. But I felt nothing about Abbie's arc this week, because even though she said the words "asking for a sign," you could tell she didn't rightfully believe that anything that happened was actually a sign from a higher power. 

I call this the Supernatural effect, because despite knowing there's a hell, despite knowing that the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are out there just waiting for the right time to emerge and bring about the end of the world, despite literally seeing all of these demon-y things with her own two eyes, Abbie still doesn't really believe in heaven or God. Similarly, Dean and Sam didn't believe in angels or God or the existence of heaven, even though they knew of the existence of hell, demons, and every other creature that went bump in the night. It was ridiculous, but you could also chalk it up to them having been jaded by their upbringing, and because up until the moment Castiel gripped Dean tight and raised him from perdition, neither of the Winchesters had seen an angel or any existence of heaven. Abbie wasn't raised with the knowledge of hell and demons, so her disbelief must therefore stem from her own adolescence. But it's going to take a lot more than some holy water to cleanse Abbie and make her believe. Maybe this was the first step toward renewing her faith, but to me it just felt a bit false.

There was, of course, a reason for this magical medical mystery episode even if it wasn't immediately apparent. On first glance a plague episode didn't appear to tie in to the season-long story arc; it felt like filler. But "John Doe" introduced us to another Horseman, therefore making this episode just as important as both last week's episode and the series premiere to the overall mythology of the series."John Doe" was really a way to introduce the Horseman of Pestilence—sometimes called Conquest—who had infected the men and women of the colony of Roanoke off the coast of present-day North Carolina in the 1500s with this unspecified disease. When the residents of Roanoke moved to Sleepy Hollow, the water contained the disease so it wouldn't spread. The reveal that Thomas and the rest of the Roanoke population had been dead the entire time and that Thomas had been lured out of the colony by the Horseman as a way to spread the disease and allow him to return to Earth was a clever way to introduce ol' Pestilence (who is rightfully the first Horseman of the Apocalypse), and a pretty neat switcheroo that made the episode feel more like Sleepy Hollow and less like a very special Halloween episode of House

This was the last episode of Sleepy Hollow before Fox's annual Fall Baseball Hiatus, and it looks like when we return in three weeks, Steve the Headless Horseman might be on his way back to Sleepy Hollow after his version of a power nap. Also: John Noble! James Frain! Eeeeee! Until then. 

NOTES

Decapitations this week: 0

Things that confused Ichabod this week: plastic, tape, cameras

– We received a bit more of Ichabod's backstory this week: His father was a nobleman, and he had a regal upbringing that he is happy to be rid of. But his time spent hunting foxes in England taught him to be an excellent tracker, a skill that came in handy in this episode.

– Abbie's ex-boyfriend Luke contacted the University of Oxford to confirm Ichabod's status as a history professor. And it definitely checked out. Which begs the question: Who called Luke back and told him that Ichabod was on loan for law enforcement? Was it a phone call from the past? No, of course not. Phones didn't exist then (OR DID IT?). This just got a lot more mysterious. 

– Katrina's trapped in purgatory, where the demon Moloch is in charge of the final destination of the souls that end up there. But why is Katrina trapped there? Why wouldn't she tell Ichabod the truth? Why is her soul in Moloch's possession? Did she sell it? I NEED ANSWERS!

– Captain Irving was very quick to let Abbie take Ichabod and Thomas out of the hospital. In fact, he's been pretty open the past few episodes about their weird predicaments. What does he know? What's he not telling us? Is his surname of Irving just an homage to Washington Irving, or something more?

– According to Ichabod, Thomas Jefferson loved puns and John Adams had a diary of unsavory limericks. Guys, I can't. I want so badly for this magical history of the U.S. to be real.

– Another week without Evil John Cho. I miss him. But he was in the previews for the next episode, so yay!

thekaitling:list:sleepy-hollow-whats-the-diagnosis-for-john-doe/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/24/2017

Season 4 : Episode 8

Next Episode

AIRS ON 3/3/2017

Season 4 : Episode 9

153 Comments
Comments (153)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The best episode so far, very entertaining but I have a question: How did Abbie explain Thomas' disappearance?
Flag
I hope (though doubt) that the Captain is a pragmatist - "Crazy shit happening in town, but these two loonies can solve it? Go ahead and don't put it into your report"
Flag
Strong episode...Grade A-..Is it possible the show gets better every week?
Upcoming teaser trailers were BOSS.. John Noble? My man never won an emmy for Dr.Walter Bishop?? EPIC FAIL!! Sleepy Hollow! We summon thee for MORE!!
Flag
Would anyone know where I can get a picture of Pestilence from John Doe's episode. I have look everywhere for one and can't seem to find one.
Flag
Executive producer Alex Kurtzman has said that Ichabod will not change his clothes, as reminder to us that he’s a man displaced in time. “It’s like his security blanket,” Kurtzman says. “He can never feel comfortable in our world. The minute he gets comfortable, the show is over.” I agree completely.
Another good episode--this is the only new show I'm still watching.
Flag
I really really like this series, but does anyone else think "Abbie" Nicole Beharie is a reaaaally bad actress?!!! I mean seriously? The only way in which she seems to be able to express emotions is by making googly eyes?!
Flag
  • I am a bit put off by what Kaitlin has termed the Supernatural effect, as well. It seems ridiculous to me to be dealing with a Biblically prophesied event and demons and PUR-GA-TORY for goodness sake but have not ONE angel or at least a church-affiliated official helping the good guys. The one priest connected to the story was summarily beheaded in the premiere. As learned as our dear Ichabod is, it's a stretch to believe that his wide-ranging knowledge, as great as it is, would be sufficient to tackle the phenomena that they are encountering.
  • Yes, indeed, who did call Luke back about Ichabod?
  • The fact that Katrina wouldn't tell Ichabod why she was in purgatory is totally freaking me out. He already knows she's a witch. What could be worse than that?!?!
  • Frank Irving is definitely part of the bigger story because when he was talking to the CDC guy, his answers were way too slick - not lies but not the truth either.
Flag
According to Ichabod, Thomas Jefferson loved puns and John Adams had a diary of unsavory limericks. Guys, I can't. I want so badly for this magical history of the U.S. to be real.= Kaitlin, so do I !!!

Another great episode of history related awesomeness. Bummed about baseball taking over the next couple of weeks, but at least it'll be back eventually. Extremely excited about John Noble joining the show! It'll be so cool to see him portray a different character, very looking forward to it.
Flag
Seeing John Noble in the previews was the best thing I've ever seen... So EXCITED
Flag
John Noble, I didn't know that he is joining Sleepy Hollow. Life made.
Could someone tell the people behind SHIELD to watch Sleepy Hollow to learn a few things. This show is so great. The leads have fantastic chemistry and are so believable in their roles, unlike the aforementioned show. It's a testament to the show that I don't find all the crazy goings on crazy. Tying together historical elements with the book of revelations, helps sell all the crazy a bit more. Adding in the little bits of "insider knowledge" so to speak, that Ichabod has about historical events, gives nerds like me a little kick too.
So, should Ichabod change his clothes? Well yes because yuck, but can't they just get similar clothes for him. He doesn't have to wear modern style clothes. Military jackets are still in fashion. Or go to a costume store or get them made. They are part of his character, and it is too early and wrong to have him in denim.
Oh Katrina must have a big dirty secret to have landed her in purgatory. Wonder what did she do? Did she make a deal with the devil to save Ichabods life and that's how he ended up al la sleeping beauty? Captain Irving is way to compliant for him not to know something. I though at first he might be evil but he seems too helpful now. Never know though. I feel like there are loads of twists to come in this show.
More+
Flag
The episode was pretty good, the mythology will probably need some adjusting (Lost & Fringe syndrome), but what I was really mad about was Katrina not saying a word even if Ichabod insisted on answers. I mean, come on sister, I know it should create drama and anticipation, but you had like 5 minutes in limbo space to come clean, why waste time when the big scheme could be reveled right now, instead of the final minute of the season finale.
Flag
More than detach from his heritage, I feel is a way to keep himself torn between two worlds: Abbie's pull on him is just as strong as the character's clothes's pull.

If Ichabod is to remain a man in between two worlds he needs both to keep himself balanced.
Flag
I love this show it is awesome it's getting better. Loved the adrenaline moment his eyes went all happy it was funny. I'm debating whether ichabod should change his clothes part of me is all for it and the other part says that it might detach from his heritage I don't know either way I'll be happy. Don't think I can wait 3 weeks at least I've still got supernatural
Flag
this show continues to entertain and it gives enough to keep you happy while also giving you questions that you want answered. 3 weeks of waiting sucks, but what can you do.
Flag
Y'know? I'm just thinkin'...(don't worry, I'll be ok. It only hurts a little)...but I was thinkin': given the spirit the show intends, what if Frank Irving is a bloodline descendant of Washington Irving & Washington Irving's story was nothing but a whitewash fiction of the insidious reality of what really happened in the Holler & Frank is simply part of a centuries-old American brotherhood akin to the Knights Templar, sworn to keep Hell down in Hell?

I keep thinking back to that priest in the pilot that made extended eye contact with Ike & seemed to recognize him during the drive-by.

What if...& I'm just sayin' what if, Frankie simply looks good for his age?
Flag
I doubt Frank is hundreds of years old, but I do suspect he's much like Corbin - he knows something has been going on for a long time and he needs to pitch in and help. I also think he 'arranged' for someone at Oxford to confirm Crane's story.
Flag
I seriously love this show. Don't wanna wait until November!
Flag
Great episode! It was just so much fun all around. Still riding full steam ahead on the Ichabbie train, and I have no shame for it. Katrina is in purgatory, which - to me - means that she is officially dead, and once she's no longer trapped, she will move on.

I also love that they brought up Ichabod's clothes, but it makes a little more sense now. You really saw how homesick Ichabod was with him wanting to stay in the cabin and feeling so at ease within the Roanoke colony. It makes sense that he'd cling to the clothes that he's used to, no matter how out of place they make him look. Now that he's looking at Sleepy Hollow as "home" (as he said at the end of the episode), I hope this means that we'll see a change of clothes soon.

And, to be fair, the first time I remember hearing of Roanoke was on Supernatural, which is a show that I am assuming does not exist in the Sleepy Hollow universe. I don't think that Roanoke was ever mentioned in my history class. Or, if it was, it was simply a footnote of an otherwise boring lecture about colonization. I don't find it that unlikely that Abbie wouldn't know what it was upon first hearing of it.
More+
Flag
Great episode.
Loved Ike's reaction to the adrenaline shot.
Wonder if the captain being so very helpful is a sign of him being a baddie, as it often is in these kinds of shows.

The preview at the end has me worried though, it seemed like Ike said to defeat the Horseman Ike would have to die as well, I don't like the sound of that...
Flag
Now, if you taught me, in August, that this show would be THE BEST new series of the season, I would have found out where you leave, drove/flew/walked to your house, ring the bell, and, the minute you opened your door, laughed at your stupid face!

Well... it turns out you (whoever you are) would have been right.

Man, this show is so much fun - so ridiculously fun! But so clever about it too. Plus, its main protagonists are pretty remarkable: knew Ms Beharie was a up-and-comer to watch for, so glad this project worked out well for her; however, don't where he was hiding before this, but Tom Mison better not make him scarce from now, cause, whatever he is selling, I'm buying! Orlando Jones, too, is a revelation - I knew the dude for years, and this is the first time I ever saw played what's essentially a straight character... and he's good at it!

Frankly, I cannot see how Sleepy Hollow can keep on the crazy coming like it did so far (seriously, if Ms Thomas is correct, and those first four episodes happen in about a week... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!), but I'm definitely in it for the long haul now. Bring on the apocalypse - I'm down!
More+
Flag
You forgot to mention Icabod's discovery and liking of adrenaline. Anyone notice that the horseman of pestilence was dressed like samurai except for the horned headress? The chemistry between the lead characters are so good that I am quite forgiving of all the plot holes. Icabod's discoveries of the modern world are also fun to watch. I like that this show embraces the fantasy and the rewritten history and does not pretend to be anything approaching real life. BTW where did Abbie's sister go? Captain Irving must be a believer, there is no other explanation of why he bought Abbie's line about the healing water so easily.
Flag
Jenny's back in the asylum for the next six months, as per the ending of "The Lesser Key of Solomon".
Flag
So Sleepy Hollow had a baby with House, but was seeing Lost on the side and the result was "John Doe." Boom, review complete. (J/K.)

So funny, and so true.
Flag
I love that you referenced Supernatural during this review, because repeatedly as I went through this episode, I kept spotting things that that Supernatural had already done and/or used.
Flag
Absolutely agree - particularly the Croatoan virus and the Singering of Ike.
Flag
Exactly, with similar reference to Roanoke. Not to mention the whole battle with Horsemen of the Apocalypse arcs.
Flag
LMAO @ "Evil Willow Disease".....perfect!! :-)
Flag
John Cho is unavailable due to his commitment to doing staged interviews for the Star Trek into Darkness video
Flag
He was also confused by the sponge. And didn't they speak of him changing clothes?? How long has it been since he has been wearing these clothes?? I also love all the difference languages!!! Greek (that sounded too much like Google translator, but anyway), German and now some form of ancient English!!! Is it Latin next?? And also love the historic references!! This was a nice way to present Pestilence I think.
Flag
Good job of bringing in Supernatural and Buffy, Kaitlin. Flaying people alive = good memories, great times. Miss you evil Willow! lol
I'm also getting kinda sick of Abbie's skepticism. Come on girl, you've seen a headless horseman who's immune to bullets, a reincarnated witch, a creepy dream demon guy and 72 demons almost claw their way out of Hell. What more proof do you need?
Flag
Well, to be fair, there are ghost hunters out there who have seen "evidence" of stuff without any scientific explanation to back it up, but they still are extremely skeptical upon first walkthroughs of houses or whatever. Just because you believe it exists doesn't mean you're going to believe it's always going to be the root cause of everything that happens. I figure this is the approach that Abbie takes. She knows this stuff exists, but she's always going to approach it with a healthy dose of skepticism.
Flag
She's Scully right?
Flag
This episode was a lot better than the last three. The "case of the week" was less silly by far and it was more closely related to the main arc, since there was a horseman in it. And I'm still laughing at Ichabod trying to open that hard plastic blister! Plus, the necessary change of clothing was at least MENTIONED. Now we are talking!
Flag
This show is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It is just good fun. And like many other shows that I enjoy, in the same manner that Grimm and Hannibal can literally go anywhere with their story Sleepy Hollow can go anywhere. There is so much history both real and imagined that this story can cover. And it just works, all of it, the douchey weird detective that is kind of jealous/ a dick about Ike and Abbie. So on and so forth.

Irving is interesting, he could be anything, there are many groups that conspiratorial minded people lament over that existed in the time out our nations founding that he could be with. Or he could just be the arbiter or what is and isn't sane. Either way he is doing great.

Love this show. For me, it is without a doubt the best new show of the season.
Flag
I didn't think it was possible but this fall season may have produced a contender for best new show of 2013...
Flag
I thought the pun and limerick lines were Ichabod's sarcasm from the way he said Welcome to Roanoke at the end of the conversation.
Flag
Staff
I took it as his way of getting out of telling her whether or not it was sarcasm. I think it can be interpreted either way, because it sounds exactly like something that would be true in this universe.
Flag
Things that confused Ichabod this week: plastic, tape, cameras and adrenaline (what was that? Adrenaline. I like it!)
Flag
Loving the show so far, yeah I know it is a weird mix up but it works! And oh Ichabod I love you and I am starting like Abbie cause mostly she plays the character who says "yeah yeah weird stuff how do we deal with it?" And yeah I also thougth that Abbies leap of faith was kinda false it didn't seem real just convenient.
Flag
A leap of faith is only a leap of faith because the character has no proof to sustain its belief, but Abbie has actually seen evidence of it: Ichabod was actually dying, she was actually scared and this led to the only logical conclusion given the evidence presented to her.

Jenny is a believer because she has no evidence of it, Corbin died a believer because until he was beheaded he had no proof of it, even Katrina sounds like a believer despite the evidence her husband presents to her.
Flag
mmm... thinking that the water might be the solution came to her mind after seeing that lady at the chapel using the holy water... it is not a leap of faith, on that I agree with both of you. It is more like a coincidence that the idea came to her mind. The story leaves an open door to the idea that Abby was inspired by God on that thought. That's up to everyone. But then everycase of logic can be inspired by God. And that doesn't imply a leap of faith.

The typical case of leap of faith is when you have to jump to the void and trust that something magical will stop you from falling down and dying. That's not what happened here.
Flag
Best new show of the fall season!
Flag
I'm with Abbie on this: sick or healthy Ichabod looks good for 200, great even. Please don't shave that beard!
Flag
agree on that - clothes change ok, but don't touch the beard!
Flag
YES & YES - But come on wouldn't it be fun to have Ike go to a fancy hairdresser's? And shopping to some hipster boutiques... Please Sleepy Hollow, let's go shopping with Ike...
Flag
I had my doubts at first, but I am definitely going to keep watching. Love the way the show incorporates historical facts and fiction. Glad not all episodes are as creepy as the Sandman one.

Also, Ichabod speaking Middle English? Such a turn on.
Flag
I'm glad Binky is back!
Flag
I actually took Abby's whole thing (I seriously use the two different popular spellings of her name in response to this recap and the photo recap...I should really see what my DVR thinks) as less a spiritual journey and more her actually putting on a detective hat. She was totally focused on what to do, saw the woman and thought of the spring in the town and just very Sherlock like put two and two together. Now, she cast a look at the altar like did God put that in her path and it was probably put there to create just this argument that will eventually happen between Abby and Ichabod. Did Abby just let her own mind start to work and let deduction take effect and tested a hypothesis or did she let down her guard well enough that she saw what God put in front of her to make the connection and then took on faith that the spring held the cure. It would seem to me that one of the witnesses likely needs to be a skeptic if one is a believer.
Flag
I think some viewers are being confused by the fact that just because certain elements from certain religions are being used does not mean that the end result SHOULD be a belief in God. In other words, if the Divine Dungeon Master just wanted someone who had bushel of faith to accept things, why not pick that person? Why pick two people who's very life has been about understanding the world in a very rational, mundane, even skeptical way? I don't think Abbie's skepticism or Ichabod's calm acceptance (yet disorientation) are meant to be accidental. In so much as these battles have spiritual undertones, the very real, mundane human element beneath it (especially the developing Ichabbie relationship) is equally important. When Katrina yells at Ichabod "Fight for us," she isn't just talking about their relationship but about humanity's importance to existence itself. They aren't just witnesses, they are essentially advocates for humanity.

That's why I don't want Abbie to have faith for faith's sake. This isn't about her accepting anyone else's ideas or beliefs. In fact, that's half the power of being a witness: the divine is essentially saying to her and Ichabod "I trust what you believe in." The faith the Divine wants in this show isn't for itself, It's for Ichabod and Abbie to have faith in themselves and each other. The old saying "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" encapsulates the kind of faith that I think the show is aiming for. You don't just teach them to fish, you teach them that they can feed themselves, that they should look within for answers, not without.

That's why Abbie's speech to Ike (I guess it's better than Ich) at the end really felt personal for me. Yes, she couched it in terms of wanting Ike to stay because he's meant to be there, but the root cause of her belief is herself. SHE wants Ike to be in Sleepy Hollow here and now. Not just for help with the monsters, not just as a Witness, but for herself. for what he brings to her life. Her impassioned "Do Not Take Him!!!" was her exposing her feelings for Ike, and it wasn't just meant for the mundane workers of the CDC, it was a shout against the very forces trying to seperate them. That's why Ike's sickness pushed her to find the answer. It wasn't the woman dipping her hands into the bowl, it was Abbie's need to find an answer, to open herself to the possibility that she already knew the answer, could figure it out. Her faith in herself, and her feelings for Ike, is what she found in that chapel and what she was declaring at the end of the episode, even if she was unaware of it.
More +
Flag
Staff
The Fox press site spells her name as Abbie.
Flag
Okay...as someone who is Kathryn officially and was Katie as a kid I should know better since I hated when people spelled it as Katy.
Flag
Staff
Haha. As a Kaitlin, I completely understand that.
Flag
If God inspired this thought of hers, God can inspire every logic thought in the world - indeed, it all depends if you believe in God in that way or not.
Flag
Yeah. ..that would be Ichabod's side of the argument and probably the thought he'd leave her with to end the discussion to move on to the mystery of the refrigerator.
Flag
umm, when Abbie stuck her whole freakin' hand in the holy water fount, I was all like, "Girl, THAT is such a no-no! Germs! Germs!"
Flag
I just started watching this show and I absolutely love it! I know there are a lot of things that suspend belief, but who cares. This is one of the most entertaining shows to come around in a long time. My favourite part is Abby and Ichabod riffing back and forth. The chemistry is off the charts! And Crane's attempts to grow accustomed to the modern world is hilarious. Plastic, motorized carriages, smartphones... Just great!

I agree with another user below in that a continuous story arc would be nice. I'd just like to remind everyone that this is how The Mentalist started out in Season One as well, Once everyone got comfortable with the characters and their roles, it stretched things out.

One last thing. I think the producers showed great restraint in waiting until Episode 3 for the first "Icky" reference. I foresee a few icky-bombs from Morales in the future.

Mr. Toohip's smile meter: 5 out of 5!
Flag
DO NOT CUT YOUR HAIR, ICHABOD!
Flag
I find it impossible not to enjoy this show. I do hope they get past the monster of the week format, and get into some longer story arcs. Maybe after the show has been on for awhile and the audience fully established they can do that. Right now it's probably smart to make the show easy for new people to get into.
Flag
Me too, I look forward to the more serialized show. Let's say that often, because they are writing the new season now, maybe they hear us! :) At least there are not 24 filler episodes of "getting into" it. Something needs to happen soon, because the season is short.
Flag
Someone said Jenny did the cover story for Crane being a professor but how? I think the Captain doing it made more sense (and he has the means to do it) everybody realizes he knows more than he's letting on.

They didn't vanquish Pestilence he needed more people to get sick to be able to really materialize in our world. So we learned that Katrina was in Purgatory and yes in Supernatural it was woods but not dark. It seemed never to be night in Purgatory except in the S7 finale, then when they showed Castiel & Dean flashbacks in next season it was always daytime. For Sleepy Hollow it goes with the atmosphere for Purgatory to be creepy woods.

Also did anyone notice the blonde police officer who came out of nowhere last episode suddenly was given a whole scene talking to Abby's ex? I hope that the mention of modern clothing does not mean they will actually put Ichabod in anything else or cut his hair Noooooooooo do not change Ichabod

Missed Jenny but isn't she supposed to be in the mental hospital, Abby said it would take 6 months to get her out?

More+
Flag
Ichabod has got to change his clothes. If only because they must be rank. Also, he's not a cartoon character. And though Sleepy Hollow seems to be a diverse and laid back city town, Ichabod looks like a certified crazy in his get up and I have no idea why anyone would talk to him in an investigative capacity, despite his fiiiiineness.

He can keep the jacket and hair though, I'm kinda amused that he and Abbie are often sporting the exact same hairstyle in scenes together. Hair twins! Love it.
Flag
Modern lessons for Ichabod this week:
Spackle, luffa, plastic and okay what was the instrument he was trying to "free" was it a razor so he could shave.

Also I laughed aloud when he went close to the screen to speak to Thomas & Abby had to pull him back
Flag
I wasn't feeling this ep, but I still love this show. Can't wait for it to be paired up with Almost Human *geekgasm*

Things I liked:
Crane's disdain for plastic, Capt. Orlando obviously being a player, the visual of Abbie and Crane walking on water

Things I liked (that made no sense):
The beautiful ghost of little Virginia, playing in the woods, was biracial; Inexplicable use of Middle English, the people of Roanoke not batting an eye at Abbie

The mystery of Prof. Crane's cover story...it's Jenny. Popped right out at me. The actress that plays Jenny is a Brit or at least does a mean British accent (Nikita).

What did Katrina doooooooooooo? Why is she trapped in the EVEN DULLER version of SPN Purgatory? Uh, she hocus pocus'd Ichabod. OK, maybe all her simpering vagueness is covering up something more sinister, but ehhhh. Be useful or go into the light already Katrina.

Hope Officer Jealous (Morales?) and his partner, pretty Officer Hessian manage to get interesting soon.
Flag
mmm... Katrina sold her sould so that Ichabod could resurrect, maybe? Bad business then, since he goes attached to the headless fellow.
Flag
I'm actually surprised you didn't think the Roanoke people would be surprised at seeing Ichabod and his 18th century clothes. Even though he's over 200 years old, it would still be the equivalent of the Wright brothers seeing a 747 right after they invented the Kittyhawk, or a 20's gangster weilding an AK-47.
Flag
black. woman. pants.>>>>>>>>>>white guy with slightly abbreviate clothing

Eh. It doesn't matter. The show is PC (Ichabod frowning about his fox hunting past) and I'm fine with it. Happy actually.

They were BOTH expected and the villagers were dead and did not give any fucks, regardless. Good deal.
Flag
So THAT'S where I recognized the actress from!
Flag
I was wondering who helped with Crane's cover story. So she called from the mental hospital?
Flag
I think it is the captain that has something to do with that. Or maybe we will get to know soon enough of a big secret organization that has been getting ready for the apocalyse for centuries and they know about the role of Ichabod in the story. Ugg, I could bet on this.
Flag
I assume a burner phone. I don't know if there's a file on Crane at the station with contact numbers for him. How and when #teammillssisters and #teamunflappable#CaptOrlando (I don't know how hashtagswork, OK) put that all together , I have no idea.

Or I could be totally wrong, heh. Could be more than dead Roanoke-ians having anticipated Ichabod's return and set up a cover story, albeit one that still doesn't justify him solving crimes with the police force.
Flag
'Tis was entertaining... not as much as the other eps, but still fun.
Flag
This episode to me was arguably the weakest of the 5 I've seen, again due to the Monster of the Week getting vanquished too easily, only worse this time because the MOTW was a HORSEMAN and not some random monster. I feel like we were cheated out of the potentially biggest fight scene of this show yet. The horseman could've revealed himself in the woods, Abbie would tell Ike to run, fire her gun at him (because all monsters are immune to bullets.) the Horseman would get off the horse, Abbie would try fending him off with a stick, the Horseman could grab her, touch her face to begin infecting her with the disease... and Ike would jump in the water, causing the Horseman to disappear. THAT is how it should've happened. Instead the Horseman stays in the shadows until the last 5 seconds and as a result the climax is REALLY anticlimactic. Seriously, Sleepy Hollow, when are you gonna put Ike and Abbie in serious physical danger?

The Purgatory scene seems stolen right out of Supernatural. Supernatural's Purgatory was this dark, seemingly endless woods filled with monsters. SH's Purgatory is a dark woods as well, almost identical to the one Dean woke up in at the end of season 7. Really unoriginal. I bet if you look hard enough you can find Benny the Friendly Vampire.

Actually, having the Horseman of the Week be Pestilence seemed to just remind me of a better Pestilence from Supernatural. The episode with him showed him to be this cocky doctor who could make anyone within a 50 meter radius get sick, and the closer you got to him the worse off you were. Supernatural's Pestilence had Sam and Dean near death, as well as Castiel the Angel, but his arrogance got the better of him and he dd his victory dance too close to Cas, who mustered enough energy to beat him in three seconds. THAT is how Pestilence should be played. I'm not going to call this episode's Horseman Pestilence... If Death the Headless Horseman can be called Steve, I'm calling this episode's villain Gary. Sorry, SH, but to me Supernatural had the better Horsemen, and their Death especially is the single greatest character on the show due to the fact that he's NOT evil or axe crazy, but simply does his job like he was meant to do.

Overall this episode was very disappointing, but it did have one saving grace... STEVE THE HEADLESS HORSEMAN IS BACK! I just wish we didn't have to wait THREE weeks for him to make his grand re-entrance to the show.
More+
Flag
I agree with you regarding it to be one of the weaker episodes so far.
And I am 100 % with you in thinking that Supernatural dealt a lot, well, let's say, in a more catchy way, with the horsemen issue. (Still unforgotten one of my favourite songs of Supernaturals OST: "Oh death" from Jen Titus!).

But let's not forget that we are commenting on Sleepy Hollow here and not on Supernatural! Come on, give SH some credit! I am sure it will find its way. (Supernatural had a lot of weak episodes if not whole seasons and we still love it because of it's outstanding season 4 and 5, don't we?)

I believe Sleepy Hollow is illuminating the story from a different angle. At least, I am fascinated most by its hero Ichabod and his culture clash with modern times and therefore I am willing to forgive one or two weaker episodes if the overall performance is still convincing.
Flag
It just seems like Sleepy Hollow, despite having a fairly original concept (a Revolutionary War soldier teams up with a modern day police woman to fight a demon army led by the Headless Horseman) is cherry picking elements from OTHER supernatural-themed shows. Moloch looks exactly like the Beast from the Doctor Who episode "the Satan Pit" and shares a name with a robot-demon from the first season of Buffy, Purgatory looks identical to the Purgatory in Supernatural, the Monsters of the Week (mainly the witch and the Sandman) look like they belong on Buffy, ect. I love the show, but I just feel like they could've done something a bit more original, like have Steve the Headless Horseman be the actual Big Bad and not Moloch the Beast look-alike. Or at least make the monsters harder to kill.
Flag
I totally get your criticism. But honestly, I imagine it to be difficult for nowadays' scriptwriters to reinvent the wheel. Especially names of demons or other supernatural creatures are for sure not being invented by the writers of Buffy or Supernatural. On the contrary, they all originate from the written word of world religions, rites and cults of indigenous people or otherwise myhological concepts.

Yeah, kudos for Tolkien to invent a whole new language for his elves, but he was a linguist as well, so it was not so far fetched. Authors and therefore scriptwriters are rarely not influenced by anything, that was written or shown on TV before. I am not an expert for Dr. Who's mythology (more for Torchwood, though), but that's more science-fiction and therefore another story.

I guess, Sleepy Hollow is not meant to be (at all times) as an action driven show, but is more likely to focus on outwitting the supernatural powers by Ichabods knowledge and teaming up with the Mills-sisters - obviously the horsemen can't be destroyed by mere manpower, bullets or modern weapons, so there have to be other solutions.

Anyway, I enjoy discussing with you and hope, that Sleepy Hollow will step up its game regarding originality.
More +
Flag
I was wondering if they would every introduce the other horsemen! I thought this was a great episode! Never had to suspend my disbelief to such an extent but still love it!
Flag
I just wanted to say awesome episode. And believe it or not. I made 30.000 euros, yes Euros, thats even more than dollars watching this episode. I am totally not kidding. Just visit this virus/malware and spyware riddled site and see for yourselves! www.totalbs.com
Trust me you need no qualification and basically get rich doing nothing.

Flag
After visiting TOTALBS.com, I lost thirty pounds and gained 20 IQ points so I can now get into MENSA and my high school basketball uniform
thanks Azrail.
Flag
Hi there, quick heads up that while we're working hard to keep the site spam free (and please, please continue to flag spam comments for us), comments like this can trip us up. The last thing we'd want to do is accidentally ban a real user that is just making a joke.
Flag
Hi Patsully - glad to know there are people like you who understand humor and administer this great site. It's so hard for me to pass up a good joke. If some clueless yokel reported me and azrail for our fun, I should apologize for adding to your spam investigator workload,,,,,,, but it's hard for me to apologize for iDIOTS.
BIG {{HUGS}}
Flag
I loved it! Of course, I may be a little biased toward the Lost Colony storyline since I've spent every vacation on Roanoke Island every year for the past 10 years... So I'm almost guaranteed to like anything having to do with Roanoke Island...But still I thought that was awesome.
Flag
It shouldn't have been Middle English; it was dead by the late 1500's when the Roanoke Colony was established. Elizabethan English would have been the proper form.
Flag
Exactly! I had the same issue. As much as I love and wholeheartedly support hearing people speak Middle English on prime time network TV (and frankly there just isn't enough of that), high Middle English wasn't what the Roanoke peeps would have spoken. We have writing from that time and it was closer to Shakespeare than Chaucer.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members