A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Sleepy Hollow S01E12/13: "The Indispensible Man"/"Bad Blood"

A good television show is seamless. It pulls you in, it entertains you, and aside from those annoying commercial breaks, the story flows from one scene to the next until you look up and realize an hour has passed without even noticing. Even a ridiculously silly story can achieve this, and while I don't think I'd call Sleepy Hollow silly at this point, I'd definitely say that its first season was one of the most seamless seasons of genre television I've seen in quite a long time. The 13-episode season definitely worked in the show's favor here, because there weren't many filler episodes in the true definition of the word, and because from beginning to end, it told an exciting story that never once let up. It managed to scare us, make us laugh, and deceive us. There's not much more I could have asked for from the first season of Sleepy Hollow.

To be honest, I never saw the ending of "Bad Blood," the second hour of the finale, coming. I should have, of course, given how many hours I've spent in front of a television and how many of those hours included supernatural or science fiction mind-f****s. But the idea that Henry Parish was actually Jeremy who was actually War (the second horseman) never once crossed my mind. I always knew we'd see the likes of Jeremy again, and I had suspected he'd be playing for the opposing team when we reentered the picture, but having him be silently masquerading as a friendly character we already knew (and loved), and as a horseman no less, was never once something I'd considered. It is very interesting, however, that two of the horseman have been created by Moloch, and both were once human. Does this mean the final two were once human as well? And will they also be people who've been hurt by Ichabod in the past? If so, I think that's very, very interesting, and could be a great exploration of good and evil.

In addition to being completely surprised by the identity of War, I also never considered that Moloch actually had a purpose out there in the woods that day Abbie and Jenny came across him. I thought maybe he was just enjoying some gardening, or he was out for a jog. I jest, but I truthfully had just assumed it was a place where the two worlds met and he'd come through for some other evil business. I also never thought Abbie and Jenny were there because Abbie was drawn to it as a witness. But, of course, Moloch was raising Jeremy from his grave. The fact that none of this once crossed my mind is high praise, because I often see these things coming on account of how often similar storylines and tropes play out across genre TV, and because The Sixth Sense kind of ruined everything for me, but Sleepy Hollow managed to pull the rug out from under me and I think it deserves some recognition for that. So congrats, Sleepy Hollow, you done good.

The final two episodes of the season had a lot to tie up in terms of narrative—find the map to Purgatory, rescue Katrina, stop Moloch from raising the second horseman, and basically keep the apocalypse at bay. That's not even mentioning the B-storyline in "The Indispensable Man" that saw Captain Irving confess to killing hunky cop #1 and the priest in order to protect his daughter. I never expected the series to tie everything up in a nice neat bow, but I also didn't expect there to be no resolution at all. Even most cable dramas that air 13 episodes and have overarching plot threads that carry from season to season, also usually include some sort of resolution in the finale so that the season feels complete. If this were any other series, I'd be crying foul right now, but it's obvious by now that Sleepy Hollow isn't like any other series. It can get away with a lot of things other series can't because of how fun and compelling it is. But should we just give it a pass here because it entertained us?

Other than rescuing Katrina from Purgatory, not a single storyline of the first season was tied up. The entire second hour was one cliffhanger after another—Abbie was trapped in a creepy dollhouse in Purgatory, Jenny's fate remains unknown after the car crash caused by Steve, who, by the way, has now also kidnapped Katrina, and oh yeah, Ichabod's taking another dirt nap, only this one he'll be remember. Prophecies have been fulfilled, there are now two horseman galavanting around Sleepy Hollow, and somewhere out there I'm just really concerned that Evil John Cho is pinned under a lot of rocks for all eternity. I really liked his character, despite how ridiculous his storyline turned out to be (I don't want to nitpick, but his love for Abbie was kind of non-existant until the writers thought they needed it to be), but when you have John Cho, you should use him I guess. 

But I digress. I know it sounds as if I dislike that the series didn't tie up any of its storylines, but I actually think not resolving them was a bold, and also wise decision on the writers' part. It shows that the writers have faith in the story, and that they have faith in and respect for their audience. It also show that they have a much larger, longer plan in mind for the series and aren't just making shit up as they go, which is reassuring. It was smart to reveal Parish's true nature and motive in the finale, even if it broke the hearts of fans everywhere. The reveal, and the episodes themselves, left viewers on the edge of their seats, which means they'll be back for more come September. And when the show returns, there won't be any need for set up, and the story will just resume  as a seamless continuation of the first season.

All of this gives me hope that Season 2 will be just as wonderful as Season 1, and for a series that has never played by the rules, it makes sense that they wouldn't choose the finale to start adhering to them. As they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and there's very little that's broken about Sleepy HollowWaiting nine long months to find out how Ichabod and Abbie will escape, wondering where the series could possibly go next, or how it could get any worse for our protagonists, is going to be absolute hell. But I think it's also a good idea to take this break and I hope the writers will continue to be able to surprise us when the series returns in the fall. 

SHERIFF CORBIN'S FILES

Decapitations this week: 0

– Things that confused Ichabod this week: Siri

– It was nice to see the callbacks to the fist bump and to Yolanda, who will forever remain the heart and soul of Sleepy Hollow, in my opinion.

– Ichabod got new old-timey clothes! Yay! Maybe now everyone will stop complaining. (Personally, I love that look on him.)

– How great was it to see Victor Garber play Ichabod's father? Answer: really great.

– As Henry/Jeremy recounted all the times he slyly let on to the fact he was a total sadistic whack-job, my mind kept screaming, "HE WAS DEAD THE WHOLE TIME," because like I said, The Sixth Sense was a very important movie for me. 

– Also, I get that Jeremy hates his parents for abandoning him and all, but like, bro, one was dead and the other was in purgatory. Cut 'em some slack, maybe? 

– Ichabod and Abbie trust each other, and from the moment he burned the map I knew he would redraw it from memory, but Ichabod seriously deserved to be clobbered for being such a jerk and lying to Abbie about it to make her trust him. I thought you were a gentleman!

– Will you miss Evil John Cho? Do you think this is the last we've seen of him? 

– What's Brom going to do to Katrina now?

– God, I hope Ichabod isn't claustrophobic.

– How will you pass the time between now and Season 2?

– What do you want to see in Season 2?

What'd you think of Sleepy Hollow's season finale?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/8/2016

Season 3 : Episode 18

276 Comments
Comments (276)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think the concept of Moloch being able to create/determine the Horsemen is interesting. It also suggests that the two witnesses are such a threat to Moloch that he needs the horsemen to have some inside track in order to best defeat them. We know how blinded Ichabod is to freeing Katrina, to the point that he endangers his connection to Abbie (more on that in a bit.) What will his actions be now that he knows his son is one of the Horsemen? Will his attempts at saving him be part of his downfall, the way it has been so far with Katrina?

That does make me ever-so-slightly concerned that Jenny could end up becoming one of Moloch's horsemen. When her and Abbie met Moloch in the woods that day, my first impression was not a pleasant one: Moloch wanted one, or both, to be his human surrogates, baby factories. However, if he sensed the fragile connection Jenny had with Abbie (lets not forget she is still upset at Abbie at being chosen instead of her,) he could easily use that manipulation to make her think he's on her side: become a horseman, protect your sister. Who knows, maybe she starts to develop feelings for tall, dark and British and its the final straw to push her into Envy and corruption. I HOPE it doesn't go down that route, but we've noticed the people most likely to turn are the very ones who think the Witnesses are responsible for their pain somehow. Too bad Moloch doesn't do Shakespeare, he would make a great Iago.

I have a slight problem with Ichabod's antiquated clothes. I've mentioned this in other comments but his clothes identify him too strongly in his 18th century mindset. The more he wears his 18th century clothes, the more he thinks of himself as still being a soldier in the Revolutionary war, Katrina is his wife, Jeremy is his son, water should be free, etc. To some extent, its understandable, but he should know a soldier can't be distracted on the battlefield, trying to be somewhere else.

And the more he tries to recreate 18th century America in the 21st century, he places his fundamental mission in jeopardy. That's because his need to free Katrina will blind him to the harm he can/will be doing to Abbie. It's a fundamental reason why I have such a hard time accepting Ichabod's declarations that Katrina is the love of his life. Do I think he loves her, of course. But would true love place your mission as a spiritual witness in jeopardy, cause you to act in ways that help to fulfill diabolical plans? It would make sense if falling in love with someone was a way to keep you from falling in love with someone else, blind you to the stronger, truer bond you have with that person. It's partially what made Ichabod and Abbie's journey into Purgatory so interesting, the metaphor embedded within it: when they remembered their connection, they could see past the attempts at tricking them. That CAN'T simply be a coincidence.

It makes me wonder about Katrina's recreation of the church where she gave Jeremy up. What's interesting about this show is that we can't simply take things at face value. What I mean is that its obvious that people can be in purgatory for the wrong reasons, manipulated by forces beyond themselves. Therefore, we can't accept the idea that the people who are there necessarily deserve to be there. You can be punished/manipulated into suffering beyond what you deserve (victims of the Sandman, anyone?) It could be one of the reasons why Katrina is actually there to begin with: to motivate Ichabod into cleansing the place as one of the Witnesses. I wonder if the Witnesses have the power to absolve sins, or the perception of sins? It hasn't been explained how Jeremy became the sin-eater to begin with; genetic product of being Ichabod's son?

Hopefully this is simply the first of seven (or more) seasons (will each season represent a single year of their tribulations?) That means that all the cliffhangers at the end doesn't really surprise me. All the major players needed to be placed in peril just to make the stakes all the more relevant. We aren't done with John Cho either. And I never had a problem with his supposed feelings for Abbie. It's already been established Abbie doesn't have a problem attracting attention (Luke, other ex boyfriends mentioned in passing) so I don't see why Brooks couldn't have been corrupted by unrequited feelings. Doesn't mean that she encouraged them, just means that she inspired them (maybe being a Witness ups your attraction factor, could help explain why Jenny wanted to be one. lol)
More+
Flag
I hate to think that we will have to wait until god knows when to see the resolution of this immense set of cliffhangers.. the thing is, I have been feeling something was off with Parish from the beginning.. but I was expecting something that would be related to "sin-eating" process, that the sins he has been consuming would have taken control over him, whatsoever.. and even at one point I thought he could have been the embodied version of Mallock.. but Jeremy? that was truly a twist.. him being so angry at his father was truly lacking grounds, yet, considering the fact that he was a very tormented kid having lived in a coffin for 200 years, expecting rationality would not make much sense..

Of course somehow Abby will return, Jenny will wake up, Ichabod will rise and most probably, Katrina will be sent to purgatory (unless she finds a better surrogate such as Jeremy maybe:D).. now what I wonder most is, how will the story proceed from there on.. maybe more about the background of Katrina? the parents of the sisters? Ichabod? and maybe Ichabod's father will be one of the remaining horseman?
Flag
Awesome season finale! So much happened! I don't think my mouth has been agape as long as it was during the Jeremy/Henry reveal since Marissa shot Trey in the season two finale of The O.C. I was totally blindsided. Well done, show!

I'm glad that John Cho gets to finally be on a show that will see a season 2 (and hopefully he'll be apart of that!), because after FlashForward and Go On, I was a little worried that this one would not get the chance.

I think that 13 episodes is a decent length for a season. Shorter season means less hiatuses, less reruns, and a more easily followed series. While I'm sad that there's fewer episodes, I'm glad that I have more time to catch up on my other shows. And there's a LOT.
Flag
A season to smile about! A season finale to STAND UP AND GIVE A STANDING OVATION ABOUT!!
That was just too much badassery for me to take! The more i think about. it..WE leave the Icabod Crane as we found him BURIED ALIVE!! BURIED ALIVE(To quote my man from wrath of Khan!!) Grade for the Season=A-
Grade for the Season Finale=A+ SLeepy Hollow REST NOW!! AWAKEN NEXT FALL!! end SCENE!!
Flag
SOOOO EPIC!!!! ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!

Flag
EXCELLENT finale! When the reveal that Henry was really Jeremy came out, I was like "You [the writers] magnificent bastards!" Poor Ichabod, poor Katrina, poor Abbie, poor Jenny, poor everybody.
Flag
I think the end really got confused! Maybe it's a real problem to watch many series and don't remember details but during the final I was surprised, confused, trying hopelessly to figure it out every detail and... God! Thanks I just found this review!! I couldn't seriously understand Henry was War.
When Abbie got to stay in Purgatory: ok, we would hope for this cliche; but everything else was unexpected! Henry is Jeremy AND War? (where are the beautiful DNA from Katrina and Ichabod??) Moloch captured Abbie and Jenny's memories?? Dead still want Katrina (creepy!!)?? HENRY IS JEREMY AND WAR!
Okay... get over it and wait for season 2! I think Jenny will be saved and everything... she'll find Ichabod, he'll tell everything to her and they'll save Abbie and Katrina. Simple as that! And... maybe... the next Horsemen can be hurted by the other witness. We really don't know what Abbie did in the past, do we?
Well... we have some months to speculate what the producers will do!
Flag
Dear lord that was one hell'u'va reveal.
John Noble. Make him God, Archangel, Lucifer, Death, Horseman, Next door concerned neighbor or even that man on the sidewalk... he would make that character so riveting that it feels everything should be about him.
I bow down to such authoritative acting.
Fringe did that me... do not judge me!
Now if they could just hire Anna Torv as Lilith/Archangel Gabriel/the fourth Rider... I would RIP. I would gladly ride into the Apocalypse and all fire and brimstone.
3 horsemen are here on Earth [Technically one is looping in frozen time... but i digress] and Season 2 might start with the
1. Rescue Mission [Though I wonder who will do that... Perhaps the members of power holding personal once the horsemen galloping around sleepy hollow? Members of Masonic Order? etc, etc]
2. Moloch and his dark parade?
3. Angelic Descent?
4. 4th horseman being a man/lady [no gender bias] waking up and then gallivanting around sleepy hollow.
5. Jenny being resuscitated in hospital [Who tho!]

Overall Sleepy Hollow kept me on the edge. 13 episode format kept it tight. If only my other lovable shows would start following this rule as well [Wishing is not a crime]. I hope the producers realize this potential and don't bloat it next season even if it is offered full season order.
More+
Flag
John Noble as a villain=best tv ever
Flag
So true. I found Henry Parrish a bit too goody two-shoes for my taste, so the 'reverse Star Wars' reveal was a huge relief! I hear that John has been made a season regular next season so we should see a lot more of him. Yay!! Can't wait for season 2. :-)
Flag
I have really tried to like this show. I want to like it so much! I really do but apart from Tom Misons portrayal of Ichabod Crane there is nothing else that I enjoy here.
I'm usually a sucker for the supernatural and sci-fi genres but I don't think Ichabod is enough for me to keep tuning in next season.
As a Fringie, I'm a huge John Noble fan but I feel like this show has just wasted his talent. Just like they did with the "suddenly-in-love-with-Abbie" John Cho.
Sorry "Sleepy Hollow", I really tried. :(
Flag
I was always annoyed that Crane continued to wear his antiquated outfit, so I loved how they explained it.
Flag
Oh come on!

This is Modern Tom Mison:
Tom Mison at a FOX party. Photo credit: Brian To / WENN

This is Classic Tom Mison:
Tom Mison in character

And here is Tom Mison, version very bland / vanilla:
Taken at the premiere of Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.

Undoubtedly he is very handsome to begin with, but the "romantic look" was made for him...
Flag
I have a feeling he would look excruciatingly hot in jeans....
Flag
Well, you had a glimpse of that this last week. He tried on skinny jeans for about 60 seconds. Hated it. And, changed back into his old clothes.
Flag
I don't really like this show. I want to like it. I've tried to like it. But it feels clunky and unpolished, too much of the dialogue is pure exposition and on the nose. And I really dislike the habit it has of constantly explaining everything that happened in the scene before it. It's like it has built in Coles notes for people who think things are moving too fast.

However, I have continued to watch it for the singular reason that is Ichabod Crane. His inane mutterings, and outrage at the cost of things. His conversations with Yolanda/Siri, constant need to correct historical inaccuracies and his absolutely perfect telephone messages. Almost everything about this man (his undying love for Katrina has little effect on me) is extremely watchable. Tim Mison is so freaking likeable that I continue to watch a show I dislike, because I can't quite give him up.

I do not imagine that he will ever perfect a character as well as he has done with Crane throughout the rest of his hopefully quite long career.

I must admit I saw the reveal of Parish as Jeremy coming. They had hinted at it and it was a nice twist. Everything else felt less satisfying. The best twists are when you look back and go, "OMG, it all makes sense" and everything we needed to know to figure out that Jeremy was War was told to us by Jeremy. I'm not saying it wasn't shocking, I just don't think they really earned it.

I hope John Cho is back next season, I think he has potential to be an interesting character. I almost wish they had merged his character with Luke Morales, I think it would have been interesting for her to have loved someone who is clearly damaged and struggling with his faith vs his emotions.

More+
Flag
here here :)
Flag
"..when you have John Cho, you should use him I guess." For sure. I remember being so disappointed when his character died in the pilot episode, but then he just kept coming back. Can't keep a good Cho down!
Flag
Loved the finale. I usually hate cliffhangers but wasn't really bothered by this one (at least not yet) because I enjoyed the episode so much.

I knew that would probably turn out to be one of the other horsemen and I had begun to suspect that Parish was evil but it wasn't until right before he revealed his true identity that I figured out they were the same person. The age thing confuses me though. When Jeremy was buried by the witches he was young but now, around 200 years later, he is older (sixties?). Does he age slowly because he is a warlock? He said he was awake in the coffin but if he was mortal he would have died. Moloch found him 13 years ago so if he didn't age under the witches spell in the coffin that doesn't account for how much older he is.
Flag
Yes, I believe we're supposed to believe it was his strong magic that slowed his aging. Recall that the reason the coven buried him alive is that none of their attempts to kill him ever worked.
Flag
That was one helluva mighty epic finale and voicemail by Ichabod with a side of a shocking twist!!!
Flag
I was thinking that Corbin might be resurrected as a Horseman at some point, but they have to be willing participants dont they? Or do they? lol
Flag
But, if they are sticking with the Horsemen stemming from Ichabods side, possibly his father. That would make for one screwed up family reunion!
Flag
I actually guessed that Parrish was Jeremy, but only because I was keeping an eye out for Jeremy because they mentioned him in the previously on segment. When Parrish was secretly healing himself, and since we all expected Jeremy to pop up as a villain, I thought it could be him.
Flag
Good catch. When Parish's wound healed, I just assumed it was because it was a magical wound and thus either temporary or being a sin eater allowed him to absorb it.
Flag
One big complaint, though...

Washington's tomb had this ELABORATE and HIGHLY SECURE system. Very secretive. Impossible to penetrate unless you knew what you were looking for.

Soooo...

How do they escape?

Through a BACK DOOR.

Made of WOOD! And, not even THICK wood.

So, someone stumbles across the wooden door -- or more likely, it ROTS and someone just falls through it -- and BOOM, they're in Washington's tomb!

(sigh)

Flag
As I've replied to another post as well: before they made the stairs appear, the only thing that wooden door was covering was solid rock.
Flag
Fair point.
Flag
First, I love the show.

Second, I never liked Cho's character. His "I love you. I'm evil." shtick never stuck with me. More like Robin Williams doing a dozen multiple personalities a minute. Just didn't cut it, for me.

Third, I'm totally with you on your review (except Cho).

They're doing a great job with this show and it's going to be a LOOOONNNNGGGG 9 months.
Flag
I, too, loved the callbacks to the fist bump and Yolanda. Siri, you are NO Yolanda!

And Henry/Jeremy's abandonment issues make me wonder if that's why he set Abby's ancestors' home on fire with them in it.

I really doubt that Evil John Cho is gone. I imagine his death would have been much more spectacular. Moloch will dig him out of that rubble.

Yes, what will ol' Headless do with Katrina now? Is he expecting to live happily-ever-after with her?
Flag
What an hour and a half of riveting television. It did seem cheezy and cliche at time in the first episode, but the second half was full of surprises.
Flag
Anytime anything can hold my interest for two straight hours, I consider it GREAT! That said...I knew we would see Jeremy again, but why did Jeremy age? Icabod returned from the grave the same age as when he went into it. Why did Jeremy not come back as a child? And, if he did not come back as a child, why did his ageing process end at the age he is now? Was it just to hire a particular actor?
Flag
Ichabod was dead when he was buried. Jeremy was buried alive.
Flag
So, if Jeremy was buried alive two-hundred-plus years ago, should he not be dust?
Flag
I think the premise is that J's magic was VERY strong -- so strong the Coven was unable to kill him. That's why they resorted to burying him alive. (though why he wasn't able to use that incredible magic to blast his way out of the grave is beyond me.)

So, the idea is that his magic drastically slowed his aging. It's also possible whatever hexes the Coven pout on him to keep him in the grave also slowed his aging.
Flag
I guess I shouldn't over-think this. It is fiction, after all. I just wish the writers of the show had explained this part of their story line. Although I appreciate the time you took to answer my question, the answer is too convenient.
Flag
I did not expect Henry to be bad and even less Jeremy and even less War. (It's fun how they actually break the seal) to be honest I expected him to die in this episode. Big shock. I was sure that Crane would remember the map though when he burnt it. The Washington's grave scenes really reminded me of National Treasure which was quite fun. And Crane with the phone of Cass with the phone which was also fun. Every single plot of the episode was amazing. Great season finale oh! and Victor Garber!!
Flag
Ichabod makes the worst enemies....
Flag
I fully expect Benjamin Linus to come running through the trees asking "Anyone see a polar bear run through here"

However, great Finale :)

I had Sixth Sense ruined for me half way through :(
Flag
Staff
Whoever ruined The Sixth Sense for you is not a real friend. :(
Flag
Watching 50 First Dates with Adam Sandler really puts The Sixth Sense in perspective!!
Flag
Holy S#!%! Pretty much covers it for me! Great finale!
Flag
John Noble. *applauding*
I should have known.

Flag
Since the first two Equestrians were people from Ichabod's past, I expect then next two to be from Abbie's past.

We still haven't seen the Mill's girls parents. They might come into the picture, or maybe one of them has an abandoned child just like Ichie. Or BETTER YET, what if they have a brother or sister who they never knew about!

Can't wait for next season.
Flag
Last ten minutes of the show I just kept repeatedly screaming "Holy F*****g Shit!" And for a good half an hour afterward. Then I called a friend and didn't even say hello, just "Holy F*****g Shit!" and he said "I know!"
Flag
Wow what a season finale....so much happened.
First loved loved the voicemail part and Ichabold messing with the cellphone that was really funny..
Andy was awesome in the first part of the final...he looked pretty creepy in his demon form...so sad that he died...he really loved Abbie...
First i was like, what...they went through all that trouble for the map, to burn it when they got it...but of course with his memory he made a new map...bad bad ichabold....!!
Loved the purgatory part....how Abbie and Ich, saw people they cared about...for a moment i thought they are going to eat and drink, but it was nice that you could see that they are really connected with each other...
was happy that they found each other....
From the beginning i had a feeling that if they wanted to save Kat, they had to sacrifce something or somebody...in this case Abbie...
Loved how they showed the dollhouse and why that they Abbie and her sister were witness of what happened with Moloch...Abbie was a Witness back then, so she should have stopped it back then, but was too young...
Abbbie in purgatory....that cannot be good at all..
The most big shock of all...Parrish is Jeremy....WTF!!! he is the son of Kat and Ich....unbelievable..i really didn't see that coming...loved that scene, but also got annoyed by it...
I thought Kat was a strong witch, even if she didn't use her magic for a while, she still is a powerfull with...why the hell she didn't do anything. Used a spell or something..to stop Jeremy. Now she is taking by headless...which cannot be good also.
Ichabold in de coven of his son...hope he finds a way to get out.
Things are looking very grimm at Sleepy Hollow at the moment. Can't wait till they return for the next season.
Loved the whole season!!!
More+
Flag
Well keep in mind that Katrina's strong powers is no possible match for War, one of the biggest bads of the show. I'd be annoyed if she could damage him. It makes War more threatening. It makes all of them more threatening. We have War and Death. Who is next?
Flag
I beg to differ with Kaitlin. Yes, major storylines weren't tied up neatly but there was a lot of pay-off in these two episodes.

We finally found out why Abbie and her sister were in the woods that day and what they saw and delivered from a point of view that was understandable not just tinged with terror as her previous visions of that time and place had been.

We got to see just how much Ichabod and Abbie care about and trust one another and how devoted they are to their missions -- sentiments that had been building all season.

Katrina came out of Purgatory -- true only to fall into another trap, but I felt the relief with her when see felt real earth for the first time in centuries.

The Captain got emotional closure in his storyline as well - which was about a man who had been estranged from his family drawing closer to them and ultimately sacrificing for them.

The whole Henry Parrish (or is it Parish now that we know how he got his name) reveal was also very satisfying. I was as surprised as Kaitlin but not unpleasantly so. John Noble is an insanely good actor and he played every line he was given to the hilt. You really felt the anger, disgust, deceit, evil...

I thought Andy (John Cho)'s confession of love for Abbie was perfect because it didn't fit -- just as he no longer fits. Don't think it was just thrown in by the writers either as they gave us that Abbie line in answer to Ichabod asking what Andy wanted and Abbie replying in a mumble that she doesn't know anymore (because he is in love with her, because he wants to manipulate her), In truth, Andy probably doesn't even know himself.

Pay-off, too in Ichabod's reinactment clothes (though you have to wonder how durable they would be for everyday wear, but hey) and the voicemail messages and texts between Ichabod and Abbie. Abbie ending hers like an old time letter and referring to herself as Left-tenant (lieutenant) Mills was priceless.

Loved Victor Garber as Ichabod's pompous father. Thought he did a good job with the English accent, too.

With Sleep Hollow it's all about the thrill ride. Can't wait for next season.
More+
Flag
Other satisfying piece of closure - when Jenny and Abbie talked together about their difficult childhood. Jenny talked about how Abbie helped her get through that and told her that she needed to come back - and there was real tenderness between the two sisters.
Flag
You know, when I was watching that scene, I thought to myself: "There are not enough sister bonds on TV right now." And I tried to think of a show that I was watching where we saw sisters being sisters... and I had a really easy time thinking of brothers as the forefront, but not sisters!

So, I just how inclusive Sleepy Hollow is without beating us over the head with the inclusiveness.
Flag
"But should we just give it a pass here because it entertained us?"

Well...yes, we should. If based on nothing other than the "Previously on...", we knew they'd find the map, we knew Ichabod would destroy it, we knew he'd redraw it, we knew he'd have to choose between Abby and Katrina and we knew he'd choose his wife. We knew it all, or at least I knew it was all coming...and didn't care. What the story actually is pales in comparison to how it's told...and this one was told brilliantly.

What I didn't see coming was the double whammie Keyser Soze moment. Henry being Jeremy OR the 2nd horseman would have been a great ending, but BOTH?!?!? Holy S#!% indeed!

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making people believe he didn't exist". This, along with the recap of Kevin Spacey's interrogation is what was running through my mind as John Noble did what John Noble does...grab you by the face and demand you pay attention to him. Genius! And while yes, my heart broke a little, I know that evil John Noble is THE BEST John Noble. Like on 'Fringe', he's now Walternate...permanently!

Speaking of, Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci, those two now have some very serious banked cred and if they're using Fringe as a template and plan for some balls out Sleepy Hollow story telling for the next 4.5 season and then ending the show, I'm all for it.

What do I want to see next year? In terms of story, it almost doesn't matter...I'm all in for whatever SH wants to tell me, just so long as...

1. I get more of the fantastic chemistry between Tom Mison & Nicole Beharie
2. I get a little more hilarity of 21st century Ichabod each episode (too many to recap from the finale)
3. I get more John Noble acting his face off
More+
Flag
Haha Keyser Soze moment, very good. I knew there was something up with Henry when he healed his hand, but still way to b*tchslap us. Apart from having John Noble play Henry because he is fantastic, there is also the love element that people have for him, maybe this helped the writers sneak this on us even more. I couldn't have comprehended my dearest Walter as the second horseman of the apocalypse :)
Flag
The show definitely has potential if the writers can show some restraint and not over-arc the storylines into oblivion. Too often, after a successful first season like this, the writers seem to get overexcited and go nuts with the story (ie. Heroes, Lost, etc..\) which either ends up confusing the audience or themselves.

If SH can keep the story tight and focused like they did this season, I think we could be in for a good ride.

Side note: I'm wondering how much time has actually passed in the SH world, and if the 1260 days, or 3-1/2 years, is an actual finite time period that could determine the length of the series.
Flag
Sleepy Hollow has been really good about letting us know how much time has passed. At Thanksgiving, they were like, "It's Thanksgiving." At Christmas, they said, "It's Christmas." After the New Years, Abbie said, "It's a new year." So, I think we can pretty much assume that the finale both aired and took place on January 20, 2014, and that they first met all the way when the show first aired... whenever that was! October, maybe?

But either way, the point is, for as long as we have known Ichabod and Abbie, Ichabod and Abbie have known each other.
Flag
I predict the show has potential for at least four seasons: By the end of season 2 the third horseman will join the evil gang, by the end of the 3rd season the fourth will complete the line-up, and during the 4th season Abbie and Ichabod will battle it out with Moloch and his four disciples.
Flag
Ah, but the prophecy says that the Witnesses have seven years of tribulation ahead of them, not just four.
Flag
Yes but each season could be more than a year. Also they could vanquish Moloch in the 4th season, but release an even worse thing instead. Moloch seems pretty bad, but he's hardly the last stop of evil?
Flag
This season has been particularly good about keeping how long has passed with how long we have known Ichabod and Abbie. For example, the day we met them is the day that they met each other. And the day that they all ended up separated was the day that the show aired (most likely). We know this because during the course of the series, the characters have mentioned Thanksgiving (when it was Thanksgiving), Christmas (when it was Christmas), and the New Year (after the new year). So, it stands to reason that this format of appropriate time passage will continue moving forward with the series.

It's not a guarantee, of course, but it's a perfectly logical assumption. And I didn't mean that Moloch will be the last big guy they have to face, but the previous poster said that he saw four seasons ahead of our duo, when I'm saying that nope, I disagree, I see seven. That's all.
Flag
I was only suggesting that maybe Moloch will serve for four years and then we get a new bigger bad for the other three.
If it is on air that long.
Flag
Holy $hit.. I had predicted walter... errr Perish might be the bad guy long ago but never in my mind could have guessed him being the 2nd horseman and their son. Daaamn !! The attention to detail in unfolding of the plot is just fabulous.. well I mean of course keeping all the ridiculous sillyness aside :D
Flag
Well that was an easy one I knew Parish could not be trusted. granted I did not see the "hello mother hello father" but there was just something about him. all in all though it was great.
Flag
I didn't really suspect him. He did seem to be positioned as an important character but I think I discounted that because John Noble out acts everyone else in the cast and so that's what I thought the focus whenever he was on screen was about.

Fake out in these eps for me as well was Henry calling from his bedroom as if he's just been awoken by a bad dream - he looks old and feeble in that shot, too. But who knows, maybe a lot of what he said about feeling weak and having nightmares (maybe that's how Moloch communicates with him) is true.
Flag
Clever you.....I usually pick that sort of thing up but I didn't.... :/
Flag
There was just something off about him but like i said never saw that he was the son.
Flag
Amazing. Can not wait for season 2
Flag
I have to admit, I was surprised by the ending as well. I thought touching the rosary beads might have opened the Sin Eater up to an evil influence somehow, so I figured he was sand-bagging, but I never expected the Jeremy/Horseman angle.

I must confess that using former friends/enemies of the Witnesses as weapons against them is pretty clever. I wonder if each Witness gets two Horsemen conceived from their past? We've seen Ichabod's past create two, would that mean Abbie's past creates two as well? Emotionally comprimising (or attempting to) the witnesses could be one way to help neutralize their effect, and we've seen how vulnerable Ichabod, so far, can be to manipulation. I'm just glad they didn't turn Katrina into one of the Horsemen. Yeah, I want Ichabbie to ride off into the sunset at the end, but not like that.

Speaking of Ichabbie, my small kernal of hope was rewarded this week. Despite Ichabod's sincere declarations of his love for Katrina, which are always undermined by some perfect instrument of modern technology, who can forget that scene in the Purgatory church? I mean Ich and Abbie are holding hands and promising to be faithful and be there for each other, and then it happens: that perfect cut-away to Katrina's face as she is watching this unfold. And it wasn't just the look of 'hey, these people have each other's backs,' it was 'I have seen the face of love, and it wasn't looking at me.' There is NO WAY that cut-away was accidental, or that they were making that pledge in a church.

And for the record, how STUPID do these people have to be to know the Moloch prophesy and to still end up following it? For all the misdirection Sin Eater/Jeremy gave, he did say one absolutely true thing: the more you believe a prophecy, the more you end up fulfilling it. They both realized what the importance of making that decision would be, mostly for a negative outcome, and yet they still made it. Again, I understand the plot device needed that choice to be made, and its probably going to end up being one of those Men in Black, 'eat me so I can get my gun' type of reverse-psychology moments, but still...

My only consolation is that it actually didn't happen in the way it was emotionally given. it wasn't as if Ichabod traded her for Katrina; he resisted the idea, as he should have. The fact that Abbie found a modicum of faith in her bond with Ichabod to make that choice herself, to choose to face Moloch, instead of running away, probably isn't that different from the test they had to face when they first entered. If you look at it another way, only by remaining in Purgatory was she able to get her memories back. Now, do those come with hidden traps and whatnot buried within them, who knows (probably, this place has traps within traps.) Also, Abbie being seperated from him may give him more pause to think about his feelings for her.

Zombie George Washington...I wish all tv shows were this irreverant. I was upset the pyramid didn't catch on fire like Ich thought it might. I also doubt we've seen the last of John Cho's character. Wouldn't even surprise me if he turns out to be a horseman as well. Spurned love-interest, jealous of Ichabod, makes a nice counterpoint to Ichabod's friend/Death. But if he hasn't been made one now, perhaps he won't be.

Big revelations, major characters in precarious situations, a little Ichabbie to help light the way, couldn't ask for a better season finale. September is too long already.
More+
Flag
I doubt we've seen the last of Andy since once Abbie realized she was in Purgatory his true form and suffering were revealed. So it's not like he's in Hell, but stuck in Purgatory as well, if those visions were true.
Flag
the reason we didnt expect jeremy to be parish was the misleading way they portrait him, we thought that if he ever appeared again he was going to be young, but who would have thought he would grow old in the grave?, well played show.
also i absolutely love the horsemen being people ichabod and katrina hurt in the past because they dont just come back to be evil but they specially resent them and hate them to the core
Flag
I found it interesting that they found Washington's grave on Bannerman's Island (which is a real place), but didn't mention the castle on it. (http://bannermancastle.org/) Instead it appeared just to be a tree covered small island. Of course, that castle is MUCH younger than Washington's grave, but still would have been an entertaining idea.
Flag
Staff
Probably one of the problems with shooting in North Carolina instead of New York, I suppose. But I forgot about that castle, so good catch.
Flag
After ascending from Washington's hidden crypt, with its secret stone entrance that must be turned to a particular alignment, stone statues, self lighting torches, sarcophagus on rails, and a self destructing pyramid, we learn as they climb the stairs at the BACK DOOR that the whole thing is concealed by a wooden trap door covered with moss that has survived 2 centuries? Um, ok.

Love the show, but moments like that make me cringe.
Flag
It's weird the stuff that bugs us. There are so many other implausible things in the show -- I have to suspend all disbelief whenever I watch it - but what stuck for you was the moss (not zombie Washington?). Given the way this show is written, the moss could just as easily have been spelled in place to conceal the door.
Flag
Well, I actually was talking a bout the trap door, which looked about as solid as a pallet. The moss concealing it wasn't the surprise. It lasting 2 centuries was, and a cheesy wooden door covering all that masonic stonework was a bit odd. Zombie George Washington was just awesome.
Flag
Well, before they opened the stairs in the tomb room, that wooden door was only covering solid rock, so it wasn't a way in, only out.

What struck me about that scene was how squeaky clean that whole crypt was. Not a speck of dust anywhere, only Washington's coffin was (semi-)covered with spiderwebs. However, I just told myself perhaps the priest had been keeping the place clean, but couldn't be bothered to open the tomb each time. :)
Flag
– Also, I get that Jeremy hates his parents for abandoning him and all, but like, bro, one was dead and the other was in purgatory. Cut 'em some slack, maybe?

LOL. Perfection.
Flag
Though Katrina gave him away BEFORE she ended up in Purgatory. Some might argue that she should have never given up her baby, no matter what and should have been willing to take her chances with him in tow -- that the best place for him, seeing as how he was a warlock, would have been with her.
Flag
When everything was revealed, I just screamed OH. MY. GOD. Why haven't I guessed it when it was already there the entire time?! And then I was like, well played Sleepy Hollow well played.

This season finale is one of my favorites alongside Fringe Season 1 finale, Alias season 2 finale, Lost season 3 finale, Vampire Diaries season 1 finale.

And I'm gonna call this one out as early as now - Molloch is Ichabod's father! No one has a much better agenda in getting revenge or making Ichabod's life miserable than his own father. That scene with him and Victor Garber revealed everything that his father hates him.
Flag
Purrrfect. I don't even know how and when this show got so good. What a fun ride the finale was. Wow.
Flag
Holy S#!% is right! First thing out of my mouth when we learned who Henry Parish really was. Well it came in stages: "Huh! He's evil? He's their son?!! He's a horseman?!!!!" And same here with usually seeing that stuff coming, did not in the slightest this time. Wise choice in the actor selection with John Noble, sure the biggest part of that coming out of left field was due to him.

I find it very interesting that this show decided to leave every single protagonist, everyone of them, seriously F-ed and on their own. They are seperated at the moment and they cannot help eachother without first digging (literally for some) themself out of their own mess first. I can't think of another show that's ever done that, so yes Sleepy Hollow plays by their own rules.

A small part of me hopes that Evil zombie/alien beanie-clad John Cho crawls out from under that debris and saves the day. Nine months until we find out!
Flag
Cool point you made about them all being separated now and separately F***ed. I guess next season (or at least the first few eps) may be about them re-unifying then.
Flag
So yes I did thought that Henry the sin eater could be evil buuut it never crossed my mind that he could be both War and Jeremy, that reveal was mind blowing.
You know I do find kinda unfair that Moloch has so many minions but Ichabod and Abbie only have two allies (Jenny and captain)
Ok Ichabod complaining about his old phone and getting new clothes (finally!) was awesome.
Abbie and Jennys sisterly hug was so cute... I love those two.
Flag
Yes, at first when I learned that the Hessians and the Masons (who I guess are kind of allies for Abbie and Ichabod) all had what are essentially sleeper cells in Sleepy Hollow, I'd thought that they might get help from a coven. I even thought that the Captain (who seemed to accept the supernatural stuff too readily and to be sneaky) was a member of a secret coven. But the only "normal" Coven members we've encountered so far, the Reverend and the librarian died and the rest of Catriona's coven turned out to be murderous hags - so I don't think help is coming that way, now.
Flag
The finale was great. Lots of great cliffhanger. However, I already guessed the big reveal. I just thought, "how crazy would it be if he was ...." And I was right. Still a great episode regardless of the predictability based of on the how crazy can we make the ending be.
Flag
Whoa, you are prescient or especially clever or both.
Flag
More like I've seen too much TV to now be able to predict the most unlikely outcome.
Flag
Damn autocorrect! LOL Not to rain on anyone's parade of goodness, but this series suffers from the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" curse where if the protagonists were never there, the same things the bad guys did will still happen! I enjoyed the episode though, especially with the twist! And Ichabod got new clothes! ;)
Flag
Well that completely blindsided me. The big reveal was excellent and very well done. I don't know how Ichabod can get up in the morning (ignoring the stuck in a coffin bit) he has had such awful things happen him. I did think all along that it might be a cliffhanger ending. They keep referring to the last battle, and you can't have a last battle without the horsemen getting free. So in my mind I've thought of it like the way Harry Potter is, all a big build up to the final good vs evil showdown. Which would be great.
Beyond excited about evil Walter. Great to see John Noble play a big bad. Can't wait for season 2. I really want to know what will happen Irving too as his future is more unstable than Abbey or Ichabod. Lets face it, they will be saved, but Irving could be a causulty or worse turn to evil.
Flag
An absolute perfect, perfect season of television. It rules over the rest with its encapsulating escapist glory. It gives nods to the viewer thanking them for taking this ride and is a show that on paper probably shouldn't work, but somehow pulls it of consistently with just master strokes of story telling. It compels one to watch. It grabbed me from the first scene and just wouldn't let go. Absolutely the best new show of this year. Honestly, as much as I like The Americans, this show is just too much fun. This is my new Psych since Psych is on its way out.

Now for the episodes.

Jeremy is kind of a little shit. I have been wondering all season long as to why they would waste John Noble on such a come and go character like the Sin Eater, and then when they revealed Steve was really Brom I wondered about the rest of the 4. I still didn't have him picked as Jeremy. That was a perfect reveal. Absolutely done well. But making him kind of a whiny little brat was kind of odd. I am sure it is going to be told and explained more next season, it just seems a bit weird. Because really, it isn't exactly their fault. But such is being locked away in a box for a couple hundred years.

This however brings up a theory. If the first two horseman are from or derive from Crane. Then I would suspect that the second two are from the second witness, Abbie. which makes me also wonder if Jenny makes it through the car crash. I think so because someone is going to have to release Crane. And someone is going to have to rescue Abbie. But it does make me wonder if the second two are from Abbie's life. Another guess would be the Captain. He has a tremendous weakness for his daughter. It has already landed him in jail. I have to wonder if he would make a deal to save her. That might be an excellent pressure point for Moloch if he saves the daughter and her legs in exchange for making the Captain a Horseman. Not sure who the next one would be. Maybe Jenny, maybe someone new, maybe her ex.

I love this show. And the ending was great. I enjoy it when a show doesn't wrap everything up. It seemed a great place to end things. And I am going to have to suffer through the absence, because nothing is going to be able to take its place.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW