A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX

Every summer, the Television Critics Association (an organization comprised of television critics—go figure!—from the U.S. and Canada) awards the medium's best and brightest series and actors with titles like Program of the Year and Individual Achievement in Comedy. This year's event will take place on Saturday, July 19 and mark the awards' 30th year of honoring TV's worthiest shows. 

The TCA has just announced its 2014 award nominees, and HBO's True Detective leads the field with four nominations, including an individual achievement nod for star Matthew McConaughey. Other notable nominees include Tatiana Maslany for her stellar work on Orphan Black, as well as Sleepy HollowThe Good Wife, and the final season of Breaking Bad. 

Here's the full list! Last year's winners are denoted with an asterisk.

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR

Breaking Bad*

Game of Thrones

The Good Wife

Orange Is the New Black

True Detective

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

The Big Bang Theory*

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Louie

The Mindy Project

Veep

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

The Americans

Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones*

House of Cards

The Good Wife

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY

Louis CK, Louie*

Mindy Kaling, The Mindy Project

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad

Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black*

Matthew McConaughey, True Detective

Matthew Rhys, The Americans

OUTSTANDING NEW PROGRAM

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Fargo

Orange Is the New Black

Sleepy Hollow

True Detective

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN MOVIES, MINISERIES, AND SPECIALS

American Horror Story: Coven

Broadchurch

Fargo

The Returned

True Detective

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN YOUTH PROGRAMMING

Adventure Time

Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood

The Fosters

Sesame Street

Switched at Birth

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN REALITY PROGRAMMING

The Amazing Race

RuPaul's Drag Race

Shark Tank*

Survivor

The Voice

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN NEWS AND INFORMATION

CBS Monday Morning

Cosmos

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

Frontline

60 Minutes

CAREER ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

Mark Burnett

James Burrows

Valerie Harper

Jay Leno

William Shatner

HERITAGE AWARD

Lost

Saturday Night Live

South Park

Star Trek

Twin Peaks

Who do you think should win at this year's TCA awards?

68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Shameless, anyone?
Flag
Sleepy Hollow!
Flag

Individual in Drama: Tatiana Maslany

Heritage: South Park

Flag
But, but...*scans list 1 more time*...WHERE is Shameless?! Ugh the absence of this amazing show is a travesty!
Flag

Apparently 'Shameless' only exists in its fans heads?!?!? This should be the year of Emmy Rossum and Bill Macy winning awards for their work on that OUTSTANDING fourth season on the best damn show on Showtime (still one of THE BEST on television). 'Shameless' was the program of the year. 'House of Cards' isn't even in the same zip code as 'Shameless' as far as being a quality program, outstanding writing and direction, with incredible performances by a veteran cast most of whom we've seen get better and be examples of how to improve their craft over time and not just fall into familiar beats like many shows on television. Its incredible that it just gets ignored by blind critics.

Tatiana Maslany is showing no let up in her incredible performance in 'Orphan Black's sophomore run and should retain her award. There still isn't anyone doing the work she is doing anywhere on television. Just incredibly good.

'Banshee' not feeling any love and that is a damn shame. 'Banshee' is breaking new grounds; what about 'The Good Wife' hasn't been done before exactly the same way? Also, is 'House of Cards' a better program than 'Banshee'? No no, never never, uh uh, uh uh. For my friends down South 'No no, never never, uh uh, uh uh, y'all!'

If you are going to tell me that 'Brooklyn 99' was a better new show than 'Reign' then I am going to tell you that you have no f'ing idea what you are talking about while laughing hysterically. Apparently the critics voting this year didn't have a clue either. LONG MAY SHE 'REIGN'!

More+
Flag
Go go Tatiana!
Flag
Where is Hannibal? :(
Flag
Very glad to see love for Mindy Kaling and The Mindy Project, Louie, Matthew McConaughey, True Detective, Matthew Rhys and The Americans.
I suspect GoT and Breaking Bad will win everything because they are the current "opiates of the masses". Yawn.
Flag
Or maybe Breaking Bad was the best damn show of the year. But yeah, keep looking down on it while being proud of the Mindy Project. Lol
Flag
A lot of love for True Detective.
Flag
That Heritage Award is a nightmare. Breaking Bad wasn't over-hyped, it's the highest rated anything on IMDB. It's not my favourite though... but it's damn close. It doesn't have great rewatchability.
Flag
Tatiana !
Flag
What about Hannibal and Shameless???
Flag
Where the F is Shameless damnit!!!
Flag
Apparently just on the televisions of the loyal few that have stuck by this absolute diamond in the rough for four incredible seasons. This one was the best and every time it gets ignored this year its going to sting. Apparently Bill Macy, Emmy Rossum, Jeremy Allen White, Cameron Monaghan, Ethan Cutkosky, and Emma Kenney are producing some of their finest work in a vacuum. That or I know nothing.
Flag
After reading your posts I'm inclined to the latter.
Flag
happy to see some love for The Americans. Shameless still shamefully shunned.
I would have gladly discarded the overrated House of Cards for Shameless itself, or Mad Men (but it's true that season 6 was not exceptional).
Also, the Good Wife ok is good and deserved the outstanding drama nomination, but program of the year?!

Breaking Bad should win this easily. Unless it loses the Program of the Year in favor of a new critically-acclaimed show like True Detective
Flag
Program of the Year: Personal choice is GoT. Probable choice is True Detective or Breaking Bad.
Outstanding Comedy: Praying for B99. Loved it, can't wait for more. Best new comedy series, by far.
Outstanding Drama: Hopefully GoT.
Individual Comedy: Amy Poehler deserves this one.
Individual Drama: This is the biggest crapshoot in the bunch. Matthew McConaughey was stupidly good. Bryan Cranston continually delivered. Tatiana Maslany is a goddamn chameleon. Literally any one of them could easily win.
New Program: Likely True Detective, possibly Fargo.
Miniseries: True Detective.
Youth Programming: No idea, don't watch any of this.
Reality Programming: Who gives a shit, its reality television. It's all awful.
News and Information: Really praying Cosmos takes this one, really needs the credit it deserves, and to get a chance at another season.
Career Achievement Award: I wanna say William Shatner, but he really hasn't done a whole lot in the last decade that I can think of other than a few special guest spots here and there. Guess Jay Leno?
Heritage Award: Maybe Lost if it hadn't got so awful after the first season. I think I'd like to see South Park win it, especially with how clever and intelligent the show has gotten over the years.
More+
Flag
You said pretty much 99% of what I was thinking, and you said it better than I could.
Flag
The Mindy Project got nominated for something!! Yea!!! Next stop, world domination!! well at least a very enjoyable season 3.
Flag
Breaking Bad was great. But is totally overrated and overhyped. It somehow got traction as "THE BEST SHOW EVER" and one by one people fell in line sprouting the line. "Breaking Bad is the best show ever!!!!"
I actually played the last season backwards to hear if the devil left some sort of message as to why everyone is so in love with breaking bad.
After i found nothing i watched it frame by frame for subliminal messages or the futurama hypno toad.
Still nothing.
So i guess it is just a phenomenon that hopefulyl ends soon. Like yolo and swag and whatever. And we can start apreciating other great television series.
Flag
Haha, yes, agreed! Awesome show, definitely one of the better ones. But totally over-hyped, and I guess I just didn't get the kool-aid that everyone else is drinking.
Flag
Oh, good, another awards shzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
Flag
Staff
The TCAs (so far) aren't aired on TV, or even streamed online.
Flag
Hopefully all the other awards organizations will follow suit. I'd rather watch reality TV than look at awards presentations.
Flag
a really good list, but it's a bit weird to chose among series that still are to conplete there current season. Anyhow:
Program: Game of thrones (probably the best produced tv show in the history of television, currently airing its best season)
Comedy: Louie (comedy as it should be - not just half an hour of mindless rest, and, in ways, more serious than many dramas. never the less, it still causes the best laughs in years)
Drama: Breaking Bad (finishing such an amazing show in such a grand way is highly impressive. even though some of the previous seasons were better)
Individual comedy: Louis CK (he's like the Da Vinci of television)
Individual drama: Tatiana Maslay (honestly - it's plain scary how amazing she is!)
New program: True Detective
Miniseries: Broadchurch

and about that heritage award - it's a next to impossible task to chose between those shows! all of them deserve it, and snubbing any one of them would seem just.... wrong. but if i have to chose, i'd have to go with personal taste, which means Twin Peaks.

Flag
I started looking at this list thinking oh this must be one of the better awards where they actually select worthy nominees...but then I saw that The Big Bang Theory won best comedy last year. My bad.
Flag
Staff
To be fair, it tied with Parks and Recreation last year.
Flag
Not better.
Flag
I think it is a very good and up to date list.

Fargo and Louie is still showing on TV now so I assume there are really up to date.

I am also happy that finally some people are reconginzing the good works done on The Americans and I really hope Matthew Rhys will win.
Flag
I can accept some of the snubs given just how many other deserving people they actually get right with the TCAs. Not too many head scratchers here.
Flag
Program: Breaking Bad. Simply the best show ever
Comedy: Louie. A show at the top of its game
Drama: Game of Thrones. Far too often overlooked, deserves an award
Individual Comedy: Louis CK. Contribution in all areas of the show should be rewarded.
Individual Drama: Bryan Cranston. Another season of unbelievable performances.
New Program: True Detective/Fargo
Miniseries: True Detective/Fargo. Both deserve recognition so one can win new program, and the other win miniseries
Heritage: Lost. 10 Years since Lost reinvented television
Flag
True Detective.
Louie/Louie C.K.
Veep/JLD.

That's it, throw the rest out.

Orphan Black was not bad, but it wasn't great. It was simply outstanding because of Tatiana acting with herself.

Valerie HARPER? Why, because she has cancer?

How sad that the shit aka reality even gets a category. Americans (Canadians too it seems) are morons.
Flag
Why no Banshee or Hannibal?
Orphan Black, first and foremost.If not listed, True Detective, and if both not Listed Game of Thrones. For Comedy The Big Bang Theory .
Career, William Shatner and Heritage: Twin Peaks. I wanted first to say Lost, but the final series episode got me so so so mad,I am still boiling when I think of it now. How could you, Lindhof!!!!!!!! How could you.
Flag
Because people don't seem to see that 'Banshee' has a plan and it has one of the best creative centers of any staff in television in Greg Yataines, Jonathan Tropper, and David Schickler - all excellent writers who already know everything about this story and who are bringing their story to us in fine fashion. This isn't 'Lost' where they change their mind as they go and don't have an actual end in site. They know where this story ends. If season 2 was an example of anything it was that this masterpiece of television isn't settling into any comfort zones . Its one of the best produced and most interesting shows on television. This was the show that started the trend of not using THE same directors that have been floating around television forever and these apparently intelligent people in charge at Cinemax and 'Banshee' have used actual film directors to handle a lot of the directing duties resulting in some of the most original best looking television. The fact that most of it is shot on high def hand held cameras and not dolly or crane shots is kind of remarkable as well. You have to be a beast to be a cameraman on 'Banshee'. Please tell me what episode from any of the shows listed as 'THE BEST' were as perfectly shot (seriously, what episode of television anywhere looked as gorgeous as the shots from this stellar episode of television) combined with two of the best performances of the year from any two actors on television (Antony Star and Ivana Milicivec) as S2E5 'The Truth About Unicorns'? I would hold this up as an example of art on television and I've watched a lot of tv. Even the sex scenes are beautifully artistic and anything but 'gratuitous'. Anyone who tries to tell me that the scene from Season 1 when Hood and Ana got together and made love in every corner of that dumpy apartment above The Forge for the entire night was 'gratuitous' really doesn't understand this show at all. It is art.
More +
Flag
OMG! Exactly! :)
Flag
Look I love Banshee. I will tell anyone who will listen how awesome the show is. But do I expect it to win awards? Not really. I feel like its a "man's man" kinda show, filled with tits and well scripted violence, but its not something I would really hold up on a pedestal as the epitome of art on television.
Flag
It won its only Emmy for its ART in the most hilariously captioned Emmy category - "Outstanding Visual Effects in a Supporting Role". (It won for one of the first shots shown of the series when Hood was getting information about Ana from Job and getting out of NYC with Olek following throughout the city.)
Flag
So essentially it won for having Hood dodge a sliding bus?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I get your valid point. Me, I want to put aside every chance for it to survive to another season. If winning an award does the trick, then so be it. Otherwise, I couldn't care less with this or any award.
Flag
It's already been renewed for another season, so need to worry there.
Flag
Yeh! Where is BANSHEE!!!!!!??????
Flag
I'm really happy that the good wife and the Americans are getting some award love, both shows really deserve it. This is a very tough year on all categories and all the nominees are very worthy, so I'd be OK with virtually any choice, but I wish Julianna Margulies the best.
Flag
Program of the year: Breaking Bad.
Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
Outsatnding Achievement in Drama: Breaking Bad.
Individual Achievement in Comedy: Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Individual Achievement in Drama: Matthew McConaughey, True Detective.
Outstanding New Program: True Detective.
Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries, and Specials: American Horror Story: Coven
Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: The Fosters
Heritage Award: Lost.
Flag
Here's to Breaking Bad winning everything.
Flag
NO HANNIBAL SAD
Flag
Program of the year: Breaking Bad
Outsanding Achievement in Comedy: Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Outsanding Achievement in Drama: Breaking Bad
Individual achivement in drama: Bryan Cranston
Outsanding New Program: Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Outsanding achivement in Mini-Series: Fargo
Heritage Award: Lost
Flag
Program of the year: Game of Thrones
Outstanding achievement in drama: Game of Thrones
Individual achievement in drama: Tatiana Masley
Outstanding new program: True Detective
Heritage award: Twin Peaks
Flag
Here's to hoping Adventure Time gets a nod. I love that show
Flag
How the hell am I supposed to choose Program of the Year from that selection?! To me, they are equally deserving. But when it comes to the rest:

Best Comedy: Louie. But whatever goes, as long as TBBT loses.
Best Drama: GoT.
Individual Achievement in Comedy: Louis CK, Louie.
Individual Achievement in Drama: Matthew McConaughey, True Detective.
Outstanding New Program: True Detective.
Outstanding Achievement in Movies/Minis: True Detective.
Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: --- (Unqualified to vote.)
Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: --- (Again, unqualified to vote.)
Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: Cosmos.
Career Achievement Award: James Burrows.
Heritage Award: Twin Peaks.

Flag
Having a bunch of little nephews and a niece I hope Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood wins "Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming".

Won't you ride along with me?
Flag
But then again, it's hard for a committee to decide what is and isn't funny. I think B99 is horribly unfunny as Samburg annoys me, but others probably enjoy him. In a way, I think these awards are unnecessary as it is the job of the show to entertain the people, not the critics. For dramas, it should just be up to the viewer to decide what he finds "good" not the critics...same thing here as well...
Flag
I see where you're coming from, but if the viewers determined what was 'good', then it'd just become a matter of numbers and all the NCISes and The Big Bang Theory would be the only nominated shows
Flag
The dramas look pretty good, but all five comedies I'd replace, I know that's a controversial remark, but none of those had great seasons (or are having great seasons) this year, give or take one good Louie episode, but maybe that indicates the dry spell we are having for comedy at the moment.
Flag
The TCAs and Television Critics Choice awards always impress me compared with other tv awards, which almost always get it spectacularly wrong. The Good Wife, Game of Thrones and Cosmos nominations especially are well deserved.

I am so excited that they are recognizing shows (Broadchurch, Mindy Project, OITNB, Sleepy freaking Hollow!!) and people (Tatiana Maslany again! Matthew Rhys! So many women in the comedy category!) that other awards won't consider/haven't considered. However, I'm disappointed that Masters of Sex is not up here in any way. It deserves a nomination in pretty much every eligible category, especially best new program. It was one of my immediate favourites of the season. My favourite of course is the spectacular HANNIBAL. I'm so confused as to how it's not nominated for anything. Every gorgeous frame of the show just screams Outstanding Achievement in Drama.

All the TBBT nominations kind of make me roll my eyes. Still? Really? Also: True Detective is kind of overrated. There, I said it.

Flag
Looks about right
Flag
The Good Wife for Best Drama. Sorry to be controversial, but if you've seen this spectacular season, it does top Breaking Bad by a little.
Flag
No
Flag
Oh, Mindy got nominated! Cool.
Flag
How did Fargo manage to make these lists? It just came out. Lots of stellar T.V. On these lists though, I'm a little surprised that good T.V. is getting so much recognition.
Flag
Tatiana Maslany, ando OITNB
Flag
Follow this Show
Members