A Sleepy Hollow Community
FOX (ended 2017)
A good genre show, any good show, can only sustain itself if the human connection between the characters feels real. Lost, Game of Thrones, Sleeppy Hollow hoist its audience into a maddening premise through the crane of said human connection.

Its hard not to be endeared by it, Abbie being the emancipated woman Ichabod only dreamed of, and him being the determined soldier that needs post-its to figure out how a shower works. The very things that fascinate them as characters are the same things that annoy them the most about each other.

And yet, the viewer can't help but to relate to their struggle, Abbie as rare to prime time TV as she must be to Ichabod Crane or the headless horseman as rare to these characters as it is to a contemporary audience used to mutants, Black Smoke Monsters or vampires as default threats.

poll

Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oct 01, 2013
Ichabbie continues to be the driving force of the show!!! Couldn't agree more with the comment below about how the craziness of the show is absolutely amazing but it wouldn't work without Tom and Nicole's massive amount of chemistry they have! The end of tonight's episode where "Icky" and Abbie were talking and he was trying to comfort Abbie and then changed his mind saying he was too tired to lie was just another display of how awesome those two are together! Geez I love this show lol great post by the way (:
Flag
Oct 01, 2013
I just love his certainty about her. The episode made me wonder if it's not Abbie after all, but her sister Jenny the one he's intertwined with. And yet, Ichabod didn't hesitate to follow the lieutenant over Miss Jenny, knowing he could be making a big mistake.
Flag
Sep 30, 2013
Definitely the Abbie/Ichabod dynamic. I love the full out craziness of the show too but the show would not be as good as it is without the strong leads and their chemistry.
Flag
Sep 30, 2013
The Ichabbie dynamic is definitely the strongest aspect of the show. They have a fantastic chemistry that is hard to find right out of the gate. The leads are perfect with one another. If everything else is too much for you, you can simply enjoy the back and forth, the banter, the oddball pairing of the pair of them.

I love the contrasts between them physically and personality-wise. I love that she's so small and petite compared to his tall and slightly imposing frame. I love the British contrast to her American. I love her modern to his dated man out of the past thing. While they both are snarky and have that humor, I love that she's more serious to his sarcasm. I love that he's a white man from the 18th century and she's a black woman from the 21st century and it was instantly brought up in a realistic way and just as instantly dismissed as something that would be an issue....but it makes the oddness of the pairing all that much more endearing. I love that he's more of a man of faith despite his being a professor. He easily and readily accepts the supernatural and the uknown,and I love that she's more reluctant to embrace it and looks for more rational and logical explanations for things, but not because she's too caught up in everything being in black and white, but because she doesn't want to appear crazy.

Everything about them, they play off of one another brilliantly. I am a sucker for a great bond, a dynamic duo, a strong one with a deep connection, so they intrigue me already. I simply adore them, watching them interact and everything else. I love the excitement and curiosity he displays, and I love taht she's the one that sort of reels him in a bit and grounds him. You see that already, this early in the game. I love that he already feels like their fates are intertwined and they were destined to be connected to one another, and I love how when he looks at her its with this respect...and I know this may sound odd, but with a reverence like he cherishes her (and i really do mean this in a platonic way. I swear) And she already is letting her defenses down and feels responsible for him. It is very endearing and adorable to watch. So while I watch this show for various reasons, the supernatural aspect, the warped and weird historical aspect, the time traveling, the fun craziness of it, and the great humor, the chemistry and the Ichabbie dynamic is already my absolute favorite thing about this show.
More+
Flag
Sep 30, 2013
I do agree he looks at Abbie with a certain reverence and, maybe because we rarely see him making eye contact with his wife, maybe because Abbie actually engages in eye contact with him, I get how one could see like Ichabood cherishes her.
Flag
Sep 28, 2013
My favorite aspect is the mix of humour and good production/direction. I am not from the US and I am not so fond of history books anyways. I don't believe in anything supernatural, although I like the fantasy genre. But the show is far too silly to be taken seriously. If there was no humour in it, I'll be out of it at the speed of the light.

The relationship among Abbie and Ichabod is too new. I can see the basis of it, but still don't know when that will become a magnet for me to watch this show. I am more fond of him so far, just because he is the funny one. She is very expressive, but she has the grown-up role and all the sister drama over her shoulders, and he gets to say the funny things. That's all I see for now.
Flag
Sep 28, 2013
Good point, so far Abbie has been the best straight woman for Ichabod's funny man, the endearing undertones coming from the fact she's the first one he wants to share his dreams with every morning.

It's a good combination between poignant and funny, ichabod as the steady presence in her life after Corbin died, Abbie as the supportive presence in his after he lost Katrina. Neither would have chosen the other should they have had the chance, both of them acknowledge destiny got it right.
Flag
Sep 28, 2013
I only gave this show a shot because everybody was fangirling on Tumblr over Ichabbie, and so that is definitely my answer since I totally see what they were seeing! But I didn't realize how very much in my wheelhouse this show is until I actually gave it a shot. It reminds me quite a bit of Grimm or Charmed, and being huge fans of those both, this makes me very, very happy. I can't wait to see where it's going! -- and can only hop it's somewhere good.
Flag
Sep 28, 2013
I've got to admit the show's Ichabod is a lot more handsome than I pictured before the pilot episode.

I could definitely see why Katrina would let him court her despite she didn't like him, or Luke feel so threaten by him. I just wish Sheriff Corbin could have met him before Abbie was all alone.
Flag
Sep 27, 2013
I like the concept of a man out of time trying to adjust to new things like modern tech, dress, speak, and the fact that the hierarchy of society has changed so much since his day.
Flag
Sep 27, 2013
The show gives me the same feel of the latest Terminator movie, the original Warlock one, or Back to the Future trilogy.

I see the 18th century man in Ichabod Crane, no matter how crazy his dreams may be, the world he wakes up in is even crazier for him.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members