A Sleepy Hollow Community
FOX (ended 2017)
War is good for everything!

Given that both series are running 13 episodes this year, and they're running parallel for their last few episodes, it's interesting to compare Sleepy Hollow to Grimm an hour earlier on a different network. The SH creative team seem to have heard of things like foreshadowing and pacing. So let's take a look at the penultimate SH episode, "Tomorrow".

Not every episode of SH has been a major plot-builder. But at least they all seem to have been building to something. The black memory goo from "The People vs. Ichabod Crane", for instance, pays off here with a way to bring back Henry (John Noble). And since he was tied to the Horseman War, it makes sense to bring him in at this point when Malcolm is looking to put together the Four Horsemen.

By comparison... well, does anyone think that the tree Wesen from "Tree People" are going to play a part in the series finale of Grimm? Or the cicada Wesen from "The Seven Year Itch". Or that... well, anything that wasn't a shoehorned-in subplot on Grimm will play a part in the finale?

There's also little bits of continuity and subplotting that the SH creative team tosses in from time to time. Like Jenny assuring Jake and Alex that they can handle the Hessians. That ties in to Jenny deciding to take a separate job once she deals with the current crisis. Not to mention Alex and Jake's weird non-fist bump.

It also helps that Seychelle Gabriel and Janina Gavankar have a nice chemistry as mother and grown-up future daughter. I liked their joking banter later in the episode. There's something about Ms. Gabriel that manages to capture the personality of Oona Yaffe (young Molly). Ms. Gabriel also works well with Tim Mison.

Interestingly, Tom Mison didn't have a lot to do, at least for the most of the episode. It was nice to see an episode where Team Witness manages to do stuff without him. Mison is the main asset of the show, but he does tend to get a little overpowering sometime. So it was nice seeing the rest of the team rescue him and/or get along on their own dealing with zombie Hessians. At least until War/Ichabod had to bail them out

I'm slowly warming to Jeremy Davies. He's still a bit too...giddy? for my tastes. Almost as if he isn't taking the whole conquer-the-US plan very seriously. It's a tightrope that John Noble manages to walk pretty well, between humor and threatening. Davies and the writers tend to go a bit too far in the humor department with Malcolm.

It also helps that SH can get actors like John Noble. Sorry, Will Travel on Grimm, but you're no John Noble.

What else? Pretty much the pre-credits sequence is a future vision of Jenny dealing with the Horsemen and Lara, and Lara meeting with future-Ichabod. I'm not sure where she got the crystals that they mentioned last episode, but there are cute bits like the scratchy White House footage.

There's also Jenny teaching a class about the pre-Malcolm America and the coming of "The Dreyfuss." We also get to see the Horsemen in action. I'm not clear how they managed to conquer America for Malcolm. Nor am I clear which Horseman is which. No doubt someone better versed in Biblical lore can tell, but which Horseman has the scythe and which one has the flaming sword? The Headless Horseman is pretty distinctive, and the Horseman in the lead (see below) is War).

The plot of Malcolm setting up near Camp David was mentioned but nothing really came of it. Presumably his master plan involves the Horseman killing the President and then Malcolm... somehow taking the office. I'm still not clear how the Horsemen would help Congress vote him in, or appoint him, or if Malcolm kills them all and takes the reins himself, or what. So the path from "Summon the Horsemen" to "Turn America into United States of Dreyfuss" still isn't clear to me.

Next week it looks like Team Witness is off to Hell to have a chat with Satan (Terrence Mann). I'm still pretty psyched to see the actor, since I've liked him since Critters, Gargoyles, A Chorus Line, Cats, and The Dresden Files. Although the weird facial scarring in the preview isn't doing anything for me. And hey, it looks like he'll be appearing in Time After Time, too.

So overall, I figure that "Tomorrow" did a good job of setting up next week's season finale, "Freedom." We seem to have lost the mysterious government guys that abducted Ichabod at the beginning of this season and then disappeared. Maybe the creative team is sending them for a season finale this year.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
8 Comments
Comments (8)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 27, 2017
Scratched up film doesn't make sense!!! Everything is digital now and it would make more sense if the video was pixellated or chunks missing.
Flag
Mar 27, 2017
I really can't say anything for this season since I have not watched it, nor do I plan to watch the show anymore in the future. The show pretty much ended for me on Season 3 Nicole Beharie is gone because the Producers and the Network were pretty shitty to Ms. Beharie and they've fail her character and the fans for the most part, then they had the balls to make up excuses and lie why she left, they have no one to blame but themselves, So for me the show was over last year and I will never return to it again.
Flag
Mar 27, 2017
You know every single actor that leaves a show in bad terms claim he was the good guy and the network the bad one?
And naturally the network claims to be the good one and the actor says they mistreated him.

Unless you were there, you'll probably never know the truth.

And honestly? This season was a lot better than the previous one. It has issues and isn't as good as seasons 1 & 2, but I'd put it higher than 3rd.

Flag
Mar 27, 2017
And yet some cast members have said that Ms. Beharie was no thrill to work with, either., and that she forced certain changes on the show with the characters.

So are some fans screwing people like Mison while Beharie screwed fans, or did the network and producers screw people like Beharie? Since the truth may never be known, I take the show as it appears on the screen.
Flag
Mar 25, 2017
Overall, I thought the episode was good. To be honest, this season while not being the highlight of the show, is surprisingly far better than expected.

However, so many things that make no sense. Not just the how the bloody heck do 4 horsemen give Malcolm control over all of america -
But why did Jenny and her resistance bothered standing and shooting at the horsemen when they know it doesn't affect them? This is such a dumb Superman cliche that I never got. Worst of all is Luke Cage where half that stupid show was people just standing and shooting him with bullets that can't affect him.

Also, they said that Katrina was working on a spell but never finished it, so when did they finish it? And why the heck didn't Katrina use it on Abraham?

And if they could revive Henry so easily, are you seriously telling me that Katrina wouldn't think of doing that herself to bring him back?
Her going into villain mode on Crane was the dumbest thing in season 2.

And likewise, I'm guessing Henry probably has more to him than he is telling, right? Cause he dropped Moloch to be his own man I don't see him truly following Dreyfus either.

Still, can't be denied - John Noble is simply amazing. Have to admit it, he actually had me fooled.

Though, why don't they attempt to free the rest of the horsemen now? Henry wouldn't want to be out of the deal, but CEO lady didn't give consent. Abraham thought of taking Katrina's deal anyway and Logan is a likely brat to at least worth a try on.
More+
Flag
Mar 25, 2017
The axe carrying horsemen is death as you are aware.

The flaming sword one is clearly War. Crane as war in this episode carried that same weapon and even Henry's armor used it before in season 2.

I think the scythe belongs to pestilence. I've seen depictions of such in various board and video games.

Keep in mind that these aren't really the biblical description, as Revelations actually talks about Conquest (and not Pestilence, that came out later). And in the biblical description, said horsemen of Conquest (aka Pestilence) is actually carrying a bow.

Famine in the biblical description is carrying scales, which is the totem they gave CEO lady.
Flag
Mar 25, 2017
Great episode. Really loved the part at the end where Ichabod broke free and stopped War in his mind. "We're Witnesses." Damn straight!

Also, Dreyfuss going "Who the hell is this guy?" when Henry shows up.

Judging from next week's preview, Ichabod's gonna make a deal with the Devil; I was like "Really, Ichabod? You?"
Flag
Follow this Show
Members