A Sleepy Hollow Community
Friday 9:00 PM on FOX (Returning January 6, 2017)
So, if Sleepy Hollow's promo for next week's "John Doe" episode (here) is anything to judge by, after several days (at least, more likely weeks) of wearing the clothes he arose from the grave in, Ichabod finally begins to question his sartorial choices in a new century with emancipated black women on the police force. To be fair, the buffer period made Ichabod's inherent anachronism, on which the show's premise depends, perfectly visible to new viewers of the show, but looking like he just escaped a heritage village or a production of 1776 is probably getting in the way of his half-official police work.

His grooming probably shouldn't change that much. The beard suits him, and his hair, however unrealistically tousled-styled in exactly the same way every day in every frame, would be both a convenient reminder of his early-American past and keep his thin neck from looking too long. His clothes, nevertheless, need some attention. So, I propose here an alternative "look" for Ichabod which echoes the one he's comfortable in without making him look like part of a tourist attraction.

1. POE wool blend jacket in brown by JOHNNYLOVE

It’s wind proof and water resistant, good for upstate New York’s frosty winters. It features several modern updates of details on his current jacket: a high collar, wrist straps, double button rows (even if Ichabod’s isn’t properly double-breasted), and mid-thigh length. And its trim cut, center vent and back belt would compliment Mison’s slim figure.

2. Haydin cotton cashmere pant by Theory

They’re all-weather, casual without being jeans, and slim without being too tight around the ankle. The color, a rich dark blue, add enough pop to the outfit without being overly conspicuous or too staid.

3. White poplin shirt with blue striped reverse cuffs by Mason’s Jeans

It’s classic, though far less billowy than his blue pull-over tunic, with enough modern flair in the reversible cuffand neat hem to be worn untucked and casually. It’s unlikely to be worn with a tie, but I’m not sure a tie would work for our good Mr. Crane anyway.

4. Ostrich leg belt by W. Kleinberg and Red Wing chukkas in briar oil slick leather

Because you have to keep your pants up, and he really needs to leave his suspenders behind. Because you need good footwear, and there are very few circumstance in which men can wear knee-high boots with a generous cuff. This slender belt with a simple buckle and interesting texture along with the durable, functional boots will match well with the POE jacket and accent the dark blue pants.

So, what do you think?

poll

25 Comments
Comments (24)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The costume designer for the show, Sanja Hays, has recently weighed in on Ichabod's wardrobe and whether it will change in the future: Fashionista.
Flag
I'm definitely on board with the new jacket and pants and belt, but I disagree with your statement on the boots. They are an essential part of his 18th Century look and need to be kept!
Flag
Would you take away Castiel's Trenchcoat or Captain Jack Harkness' military greatcoat from World War II? Ichabod is just easy on the eyes in his late 18th century uniform, it is best to leave it like that!

Anyway, I had always a soft spot for uniforms...
Flag
I enjoyed your post about modern fashion choices for Ike, but I have to admit that I love the way he looks, from his hairstyle to his boots. I just read in EW that Alex Kurtzman, the executive producer of Sleepy Hollow, said (in an answer to the question of when will Ike get rid of his "colonial rags"), that "He [Ichabod] can never feel comfortable in our world. The minute he gets comfortable, the show is over." So I think and hope he will not modernize his clothing. I just hope he has access to a washer and dryer and that Annie leaves some change, detergent, and little post-it notes so he can operate the appliances.
Flag
He doesn't need to change a thing. But, since that is his only set of clothing, I do hope he's washing them once in awhile. lol
Flag
The guy is a classic let him wear his classic, just wash them
Flag
Change nothing--that's my vote.
Flag
Concur! Pirate look is coming back into fashion anyhow. :-) I would however like to see him go completely undercover in an episode, maybe trying to procure some illicit narcotics from a less than reputable vendor whilst wearing a Starbucks logo t-shirt or something.
Flag
I think forgoing a sword and tri-cornered hat he has met the modern age halfway. Given that "military clothing" is meant for function and resilience even in his day changing his wardrobe for aesthetic purposes whilst in a war with an old enemy and demons may just result in the best dressed corpse.
Flag
The jacket is an awesome find! Though I think technically, he could keep his old-time coat, which would look awesome with the pants&shit you found, and some darker belt and shoes.
Flag
Well, the whole thing could be an entire outfit...I might go for some more practical shoes, a bit more structured boot like (not Timberlands, but more in that vein). But otherwise this whole thing would work and not make him be that uncomfortable (though I could see Abbie telling him he could keep his present coat).
Flag
I think the actor had that kinda Adam Levine body type. Maybe all be needs is a trading shirt and some jeans. He'd rock the shit out of anything skinny, Tom Mison being the definition of skinny.
Flag
The shirt is about the only thing I would change in him, so it's a good start.
Flag

Awesome post! I most definitely go with the first wardrobe, the one posted by Johnnylove! It keeps its ol' time allure, while doing Ichabod the favor of 'bringing him up-to-date'. Though I'd surely change the dreadful mustard color of that undershirt
Flag
I was wondering when someone would do a Fashion analysis for Ichabod.
Definitely, this should be a regular corner with weekly fashion reviews for TV shows.

The jacket and the belt are awesome!
Flag
Fantastic post!
Flag
Very thorough. I love it!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members