Sliders Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

sliders a new begining

luke_everaardt

[1]Jan 20, 2006
    • level: 2
    i think that they should remake sliders from season three with all the actors back so they can complete the show perfectly for all the sliders fans out there who are dissapointed of what happen to the show. Slider can still be the best show ever made if they decide to fix it up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SusieQuinn

[2]Jan 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    I agree... the show started out so wonderful, and you can almost imagine the world that the four original sliders are still out there sliding around on...

Zuul24

[3]Jan 22, 2006
    Unfortunately, in reality, they almost NEVER bring back shows like this.

I am not sure its ratings were all the great in the first place but hey, I liked it!

I actually never saw the seasons that were on SCI-FI as I didn't have that channel back then. I will have to wait until they hit DVD. I have the first three.

Chas

Parsec54

[4]Jan 25, 2006
    • level: 20
    Zuul24 wrote:

I am not sure its ratings were all the great in the first place but hey, I liked it!

I actually never saw the seasons that were on SCI-FI as I didn't have that channel back then. I will have to wait until they hit DVD. I have the first three.

Chas

You didn't miss much with the sci fi seasons... Kari Wuhrer didn't add much to the show, unfortunately. Without the professor and Wade, well, the show went downhill pretty quickly. Better to keep the memory of the original cast than to have the bitter taste of the later seasons.

PrescitedEntity

[5]Feb 5, 2006
    Zuul24 wrote:

Chas

It didn't do too well with FOX, but on Sci-Fi, it garnered the top ratings for the network for the fourth seasons, and was only slightly overcome by Farscape in the last season, still pulling fairly strong ratings comparatively. The only reason they canned it was due to obligations (a contract) to another, newcoming show (which failed pretty quickly), as they had thought that without Jerry O'Connell, the show'd fail. They couldn't axe anything else, as everything had been finalized already. Ratings held steady, even through the cast change, with only a slight dip, considering.

port5170

[6]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 12
    don't see it coming back tho a reunion movie would be cool

lobomensch

[7]Feb 19, 2006
    • level: 51
    A reunion movie would be good but where would it air? It's not really easy to get one-shots syndicated as it was in the 90s with the Hercules movies, the B5 Pilot etc. Given how poorly it was treated on Sci-Fi, can't see Tracy Torme wanting any involvement. And it's been off Fox so long no one of the short attention span crowd would really remember it. So what does that leave us?

enervator

[8]Apr 5, 2006
    • level: 38
    Yes, they left way too much hanging, and this is a show desperate for some type of resolution. But unfortunately, the chances of such a show ever being filmed seem slim to none. I'd love to see it though.

McFrips

[9]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 5

No.  Although I would love to see the original cast back in action, I am afraid of what it will produce.  After the bitter contract disputes that put John Rhys-Davis and Sabrina Lloyd through the ringer I doubt they would be willing to return, even for a movie/TV reunion.  Without even one of them the result would be futile and probably result in something similar to Se4 or 5.  The reality is that even if everything did work out 100%, its been such a long time that the chances of something good and true to the spirit of the original series would not be likely, and end up being a major letdown. 

If your thinking something miraculous like Firefly, then you are amiss.  Firefly had the benefit of a creator that just wouldn't quit.  The show was canceled very prematurely so he still had full fledged plots running around his head.  He had the benefit of time and the full support of cast/crew.

As much as I would like this to happen, I am not holding my breath, and I would be very skeptical of the result if it was greenlighted.

WarGrowlmon15

[10]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 8
    Parsec54 wrote:
    Zuul24 wrote:
    Unfortunately, in reality, they almost NEVER bring back shows like this. I am not sure its ratings were all the great in the first place but hey, I liked it!

Chas

You didn't miss much with the sci fi seasons... Kari Wuhrer didn't add much to the show, unfortunately. Without the professor and Wade, well, the show went downhill pretty quickly. Better to keep the memory of the original cast than to have the bitter taste of the later seasons.

Well the only thing that I really liked about the last half of season 3 was when they killed that rouge T-Rex and when Rickman idioticly jumped off a cliff to his death I thought that he deserved it although I wish Maggie had gone with him. But I did like the bit about them finally getting home after 3 years although I think that Quinn and Maggie should have tracked Wade and Remmy's wormhole back to Earth Prime and that should have been the end of it

hydroflaven

[11]Sep 21, 2006
    It was obvious that seasons 4 and 5 just weren't the same, but I thought that they were ok. We do need a resolution to the show though. They just left us guessing with Remmy going back to "Earth Prime" with the thing that kills the mags.

2crour93

[12]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 8

Season 4 was much better than Season 3. Sure there's no Wade or Arturo, but the episodes were more structured and original - i.e. not movie rip-offs, and the special effect were necessary, rather than there for the sake of it.

Season 3 was appaling television, with only a few isolated good episodes (Double Cross and The Guardian).

dzidzia47

[13]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 24
    You can watch season 4 on Axn now. From Monday to Friday.

jhamil

[14]Oct 14, 2006
    • level: 4
    At this stage I doubt any of the cast would be able to come back. They've all become much too expensive as actors.

And what about continuity? How would the plot explain their ages and the time gap? Yes they left a lot of loose ends.

However, what if someone found the timer and a note left with it by Rembrant? Rembrant may have left the timer in a bank deposit vault. Or one of those home safes. A group of college kids start studying the device. These could be kids who remembered the professor and Quinn disappearing. Then you have a plot device whereby someone is tying up loose ends. They are trying to track down what happened to the professor and Quinn. And you get a whole new set of sliders. And as they slide they find worlds where the original sliders visited before and they find ones that have never been visited.

You get to use a lot of prewritten stuff and we get to visit some of our favorite worlds. You could even throw in something about how there is now a slider police corp that tries to prevent another slider war like with the kromags. Because now there are slider smugglers and who knows what else. Because now there are a lot of people on several alternate Earths who know about sliding. Some of them must have figured out how to do it. And not all of those worlds were nice and lawful.

You get the best of many worlds here. You get to bring the show back. Always a plus. You get new cast. And when these people get tired of it you could have a plot where almost any new group figures out how to slide and keeps on going.

How about a huge sliding community with multidimensional corporations doing trade with multiple worlds?

How about worlds that specialize in education. People from many universes go there to study. Oops. There's a problem. Some evil mastermind is using the school system for brainwashing and someone has to fix it.

How about manufacturing world. All manufactured good are made there and transported to other worlds for sale. All the pollution is contained on one world. Oops. There's a problem. Some previously unknown race is being threatened by the factories and the problem has to be solved.

And in every case in history there is always a group who opposes what their government is doing. The kromags must have had them, too. There were hints but nothing was fleshed out. What if (shade of SG1) there were a group of humans sliding around with a kromag companion? Lots of possibilities in that one.

This might not be like having the original cast back. I hate that too. I liked them myself. But this would at least give a logical reason for the show to continue.

Streeca

[15]Oct 18, 2006
    • level: 15
    Not bad, Jhamil. I think yours is a good concept for "Season 6". :=}

jaikeb

[16]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 5
    It would be cool to see a remake of Sliders. Kind of like the reimagining that was done with BSG. There is a lot of great special efforts out to expand the possibilities. Unfortunately I don't think this will happen anytime soon. It took nearly 30 years for someone to rethink BSG.

HDMe

[17]Jan 6, 2007
    • level: 3
    If the old actors could not be re-signed, then a complete reimagining from the beginning would be preferrable to me. That way they can start from the beginning with new actors in the roles and the old stories are fodder for revisiting in new ways (like they have done with Battlestar Galactica).

BUT... if the original actors could be brainwashed/bribed to return... I would like to see seasons 4 and 5 summarily ignored.  I would like to continue from the end of season 3 for continuity.  Quinn & Maggie would be on "futureworld", Wade & Rembrandt would be "home".

I'm not sure it was 100% established in Season 3 that they had in fact gone "home". They thought they had... but there was an episode in Season 2 where they were "home" for less than a minute, and left because the gate didn't squeak... only to be revealed after they left that someone had finally fixed the gate!  It was a tease so that we would wonder if they had found home and left by mistake without ever knowing.

I'm not sure which way I would go with "home" being home or not... but we could easily pick up after a time. It has been about 10 years since Season 3... and in fictional "TV time" we could say 5 or 10 years has elapsed, with the two pairs being separated and trying to find each other.

I think I would go with Wade/Rembrandt realizing that "home" was not home after all so they left when their timer said to go, figuring that Quinn/Maggie would follow them as they had been following Rickman.  But the scrambled timer put them on different paths.  I could see several episodes shifting focus to each group as they are on different worlds.

Meanwhile, another "tease" was the "which Arturo" bit from Season 2 and the "oh my god" that "Arturo" said after the vortex closed. Since Rhyes-Davies wasn't happy with some of the scripts anyway, we could declare that the wrong Arturo was in those episodes and it has taken him the past 5+ years to get his own version of a timer to work. He's a smart guy, and understands the theories but since he didn't manufacture it from scratch he had to do some work.

So... after a few episodes of the two pairs wandering around, we can introduce the Arturo subplot revealing him going on his own to try and find the others.

The downside to a continuation is it requires familiarity with the original series... but Sci-Fi could help that cause by running a marathon to catch-up.

There are so many stories that they didn't do... I would like to see the Season 3A version I have in my  mind if the original actors could be obtained.  Otherwise, just start over and reboot for consistency sake.

dishskasanjayna

[18]Jan 16, 2007
    I completely agree I am just watching the latter part of season three and I'm already disappointed completely. Why the hell did they eviserate a great show like that?

labsrule106

[19]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 6
    jhamil wrote:
    How about worlds that specialize in education. People from many universes go there to study. Oops. There's a problem. Some evil mastermind is using the school system for brainwashing and someone has to fix it.
    Dude, that reminds me of a Doctor Who episode (Reunion)!!! Anyway, back to Sliders. You are right when you said most of the actors have become too expensive. Davies is a freakin movie actor, for goodness sakes, and Jerry O'Connell is on Crossing Jordan (playing Woody) and has done a few movies. Of course, I'm sure they could still get his brother, but who would want to?!! And then of course there would be the tension that was mentioned before...I mean, the tension between Lloyd and the one that played Maggie would be pretty bad I'm sure. And if anyone who worked on the original show came for the wrap-up, they'd have problems with Davies. I kind of don't see a point to a wrap-up, cuz if they don't ignore the last season, it'll be an annoying wrap-up with characters I don't like (except Remmy), and if they go with season 3's end, there's not a whole lot of point, cuz most of the totally annoying, crazy problems that needed resolving were introduced during the 4th and 5th seasons. I'd rather start off before the introduction of Maggie, if anything, and just have a really good movie with them going to cool worlds and in the end finding home or something. I mean, they already destroyed Wade's wrap-up, so I guess I'm scared what would be done to the others if such a special occured. And I see no point without the actors, since there are plenty of shows with a premise like this one if you just wanna see people visiting different worlds (Stargate, Quantum Leap, though this is time, not worlds, etc.) I just wish that some of the actors would find better work (mainly Remmy and Wade...it TOTALLY sucked that Sabrina Lloyd was kicked off of Numbers after only 1 season...replaced by another Maggie-esqu character....totally stupid!!!). Maybe Sabrina Lloyd could guest star on Crossing Jordan...that would make me happy!!!
    Edited on 04/15/2007 8:15pm

DistantWords

[20]Apr 17, 2007
    • level: 7
    I could write a novel on ideas for Sliders and various thoughts I've had watching the (good) episodes. Which, is what I really LOVED about the show; the way it made me think...

But, I'll spare you all the true depth of my thoughts. For now at least, lol.

Anyway, I would LOVE to see a new series, mini series or TV Movie reuniting the original cast. And, story wise, I think it could happen and happen logically.

But the reality is, I doubt that it would be possible to get the original cast together, and I would never hold my breath that those in charge would/could come up with a halfway decent script...

Too bad too.

I've actually thought of several loop holes created by various episodes that could bring the original characters back together...