Sliders Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

What Killed Sliders For Me.

suplex2000

[1]Mar 2, 2006
    • level: 11
    I love Sliders probably as much or more than anyone else, and the first two seasons were brilliant television.

The thing that ruined it for me was the episode where Quinn finds out that he really doesn't belong on what he always thought was Earth Prime (his home world) and his real parents were sliders from another dimension and they put him on Earth Prime to get him away from the Kromaggs.

So now after that, if you go back and watch all of Seasons One & Two (when it was great) it's now about a kid who doesn't even belong on the Earth that he was born and raised on. His Mother isn't his Mother, and his Father (who is dead) isn't even really his Father at all.

It's almost like the writers of the show said: "Seeing as how everyone only likes Seasons: 1 & 2, lets do something to ruin those seasons as well"

The Kromaggs should have never been created for the show, and when Kari (Maggie) was brought in to replace Sabrina Lloyd (Wade Wells) because they wanted someone more attractive, that is an insult to Sabrina Lloyd who I think is very cute, and was much better on the show then Kari was.

I also never have seen as many fans (all of us) so angry about a show that we loved...that got ruined...as we all are about Sliders. They ruin a lot of shows, but why are we all (myself included) so angry that they ruined Sliders.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

eureca323

[2]Mar 10, 2006
    • level: 4
    When it started going downhill for me was when the hot Wade left the show.

lobomensch

[3]Mar 12, 2006
    • level: 51
    When Arturo died was when I knew it was over.

2crour93

[4]Mar 19, 2006
    • level: 8
    Season 3 was the beginning of the end.

nmcdowall

[5]Mar 19, 2006
    • level: 9
    Like others, for me it was when Arturo died and Wade was replaced, unfortunately I completely lost interest after that. Previous to that I was such an avid fan, just shows how easily a show can be ruined.

Parsec54

[6]Mar 23, 2006
    • level: 20
    Arturo's leaving didn't help but what got me seriously considering not watching anymore was when Wade left... Kari's character didn't impress me much, but I had liked her from her days on Remote Control and Swamp Thing, so I kept watching a little while longer. Then nepotism raised its ugly head and Jerry O'Connor brought in his brother, a man who couldn't act at all. The final straw was when Quinn left and they brought in some other character who was supposed to be quinn... the only original slider left of the bunch was Remmy, and although I liked him, by himself he wasn't enough to keep me watching anymore.
    I still haven't gotten the first three dvds yet, although I do plan on doing so soon; I don't think I'm going to bother with many after that, though.

TylerSoprano

[7]Mar 30, 2006
    • level: 10
    I agree with when Aturo died. It all went downhill from there.

enervator

[8]Apr 5, 2006
    • level: 38
    I think that I really lost interest when they weng Kromagg crazy. I wasn't even that crazy about the idea when it was just one episode, but when they basically dedicated the whole show to this one plotline I really lost interest. Then in the last season they pretty much forgot about the Kromaggs entirely, but unfortunately brought in Mallory, who was worthless, and Diana, who I didn't really hate although she really didn't do anything for me. Mallory really was the straw that broke the camel's back. Remmy was a good supporting character, but thrusting him into the Quinn role was another mistake. Kari Wuhrer never really bothered me, although by losing so much of the original cast they simply lost practically everything appealing about the show.

As lacking as I think the 4th and especially 5th seasons were, I still wish they'd do some kind of wrap-up show. Leaving this series on a cliffhanger like they did was a terrible move, and a real slap in the face to everyone who did stick with it from beginning to end.

McFrips

[9]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 5
    I commend those who considered themselves fans into the fourth season, but I have to ask why?

When Arturo died, it was a shock, and as others mentioned, it was obvious that the show was going to end.  Their contracts plights led to the end of the show at that moment.  I did not really like the Rickman/Maggy episodes of season three, but it was understandable that they wanted to follow the plot out. 

Lets just say that the demise of Arturo's character wasn't the end of
    the line.  Maggy's character got changed too, supposedly from sliding
    so much, but she changed from a hard-ass military girl, into an
    annoying and practically blonde piece of Eye-Candy.  At least in the
    end of the third season she was a great counter-point to Quin, and I was glad to hear that Sci-Fi was going to bring Sliders back, but when
    season's 1 and 2 of NeoSliders came out she was reduced to an
    uninterested pile of crap.

What really peeved me was that they took the worst episode to enter the slider's realm which introduced the Kromaggs, and ran with it into a deep and dark hole of bad sci-fi-dom.  By following that useless story arc, then turned a brilliant and mostly original Sci-Fi show into a run of the mill run from the aliens... with a twist.

Quinn's brother/Jerry's brother:  Yeah, he did a better job acting in Dude Wheres my Car, and the episode in which he guest starred (and got shot), then he did the whole fourth season.

And of corse, Wade would not sign on for another season... good for her!

To me, nothing beats the first two seasons of Sliders. They were the most original and had the best plots/acting.  Season three was pivotal and started to borrow more plots from other Sci-Fi shows, but was still worth watching.  Seasons four and five were not Sliders, they were Sci-Fi's attempt at cashing in on a good franchise.  The Sci-Fi channel is like FOX, they don't realize when they have a good thing (Farscape/Exposure) and they destroy the good franchises that allow SciFi to push them around (Sliders/First Wave.. etc.)

Granted, Sci-Fi has done a lot better in the past two years, but I will always hold a sore spot for what they did to Sliders...

PrescitedEntity

[10]May 7, 2006
    • level: 2
    Hmm. I can't say that Sliders died on me until the end. Why? I positively adore the premise. Sure, they went off on tangents. Sure, the acting in the later seasons made watching wood interesting. Sure, the plots decided to become less coherent than a babbling chimpanzee. Yet, at its core, Sliders remained about a group of people travelling across diverse universes, each with something to present. That never lost its appeal.

neptoon2070

[11]May 22, 2006
    • level: 6
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
    Edited on 05/21/2006 11:17pm

neptoon2070

[12]May 22, 2006
    • level: 6

suplex2000 wrote:
    The Kromaggs should have never been created for the show

I totally agree. It was like the fun of the show evaporated after they appeared.

ace2542

[13]May 25, 2006
    • level: 7
    Perhaps but I am shocked that no one is giving for the orignal storylines of season 4 that were much stronger than the ones from season 3. The sliders did need an enemy of some kind. Maybe not the kromaggs, maybe they should have done more with Logan perhaps

lhcjr

[14]May 31, 2006
    • level: 5
    Bringing in the Kromaggs made Sliders an "us versus the big, bad aliens" show. The original Sliders premise, "alternate realities, but the same time", helped to make the series great. The original team had a great character mix. By the final season, "Cryin Man" Brown was stuck with a team of mismatched replacements.

HarrisonRocks

[15]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 14
    The thing that did it for me was when Jerry O'Connell (Quinn) left.  I mean season 4 wasn't that great like the first three, but when they replaced Jerry I lost interest in the show.

SabotFox

[16]Jun 5, 2006
    • level: 42
    HarrisonRocks wrote:
    The thing that did it for me was when Jerry O'Connell (Quinn) left.  I mean season 4 wasn't that great like the first three, but when they replaced Jerry I lost interest in the show.
    I can see that, especially since they had to scrape up a barely plausible plot line to explain the actor change.

shadowspy24

[17]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 11
    Could someone tell me exactly what happened in the very last episode?

edborden123

[18]Jun 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    yeah, the whole kromag thing for me wasn't very good. I liked when they could be inventive with alternate earths without aliens and such.

HDMe

[19]Jun 25, 2006
    • level: 3
    The original Kromagg episode wasn't bad... and it setup some possible future things that they never revisited.  Supposedly they had implanted something in one of them to track.  This was never really followed up on... and they weren't aliens, they were an alternate universe's evolution on Earth.

What I didn't like... was the sudden revolution of Quinn not being from the Earth he thought he was.  That seemed forced, and made up.  I also didn't like that they completely dropped the FBI/CIA subplot from the first season. We saw (presumably) on Quinn's home earth they raided his house and found his stuff... but never got back to that in later seasons.

They also invalidated (by tying Kromaggs to his "real" parents) the early episode where the alternate Quinn (the one from episode one that helped our Quinn fix his timer) was stranded on a planet and revealed that he had helped the Kromaggs get technology.  This plot development was dropped completely.

I also always liked Wade.... though Kari Wuhrer came in as an interesting counter-character at first... and could have made Wade stronger as a character... but instead they killed off Wade and dumbed down Kari's character. Both mistakes.

Now Arturo... I always thought the wrong one got left on that Earth where they had dueling Arturo's... so his death didn't bother me as I thought it was the "evil" Arturo finally making good and sacrificing himself for the team... and I thought we'd eventually see "good" Arturo find the team again and have a reunion but alas Rhyes Davies left the show for good... and I thought he took a touch of class with him that the show sorely needed from him.

I also thought perhaps the Kromagg tracking device (see top of my post) may have been put in Arturo, but which Arturo?  That was a mystery in part because FOX showed some episodes out of order originally so it wasn't clear which Arturo met the Kromaggs.

I thought there were too many Kromagg episodes too, and the Kromaggs changed from what they were originally presented as enigmatic enemies that I thought could have been better used sparingly.

Lots of wrong turns taken on this show after the 3rd season.... and a few taken by FOX prior to that.  A shame really because it started out with a lot of promise.

Fortunately, some mistakes could be fixed...  Arturo could still be out there... Remy still is... They could find that Quinn was still out there, and reverse the "I'm not from that Earth" story by finding that they had been confused with another sliding Quinn (it happens on the show sometimes)... and that our Quinn was not after all the one with the brother.  Any number of good ways to write themselves out of the bad plots and get back to good plots if the actors wanted to and they could sign on quality writers.

LtAgathon

[20]Jul 10, 2006
    • level: 3
     I personally loved the idea of the Kromaggs but will admit they could have handled the story arc better. I wish Torme would have had total control of the series for the entire run, but alas that wasn't going to happen. The "Mallory" character killed the show for me. Allegedly he was supposed to be the combination of two Quinns but I seriously doubt that would make him look completely different. They should have just found a way to write him out like they did with Wade. I might have actually given season 5 more props if they had.