Sliders Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

What Killed Sliders For Me.

HDMe

[21]Jul 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    The corner the show was written into... was that with Arturo gone, Quinn was the only one who understood the sliding technology well enough to build/fix when things went wrong like a busted timer.  When Jerry O'Connel was leaving, they were kind of stuck in that if they didn't keep "Quinn" the show really started to go off center...but I never liked the Mallory direction either.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CorneliasNo1Fan

[22]Jul 26, 2006
    I think instead of the Kromaags if the producer really wanted an enemy they should have kept Logan.She was as smart as she was cold and as an 'alernate Quinn' I think it could have created a much stronger subplot/story arc. And of course she had sliding abilities like the Kromaags so its not like she couldn't go to the mulitple worlds.

LtAgathon

[23]Aug 9, 2006
    Logan was a great character. She should have been the main enemy, but I would've left a handful of Kromagg episodes still.

Coffeegod

[24]Aug 13, 2006
    • level: 5
    I totally lost interest in this show when the Breasticle showed up.  I can not stand Kari Whurl (or however you spell her name).  She ruined Remote Control and she totally fouled up Sliders.

Sliders was great until they had the paramilitary broad bought on board.  I long for the day when natural beauty is held in as high a regard as the 'Body by Goodyear' is.

Streeca

[25]Aug 27, 2006
    • level: 15
    It dodn't quite kill Sliders, but it crippled them severely: early in the Third season, the show began losing the "Sci" part of "Sci-fi", if you knowha'msayin. It's still fun {plus something must be said for the outfits Arturo gets, like a druid and Santa}, but not as addictive and inspiring. As in - i'm gladly watching the third season, but if it were a roleplaying gamel, i'd only stick with the group for the first two seasons.

Invader_of_53

[26]Aug 29, 2006
    • level: 7

I enjoyed the initial premise of the Kromaggs, which was introduced under Torme's leadership, but ruined when Peckinpah seized on it. It wasn't just their overuse, it was that they weren't the same creatures. I loved the original Kromaggs because they were evolved apes, and their origin was rooted in the show's premise about the course any alternate world can take. And there is just something poetic in that gruesome evolution spilling over into other dimensions. But the later Kromaggs were more or less freak humans, with that dark irony replaced by the whole thinly-veiled-Nazi-metaphor. To be honest, I felt so insulted that I didn't even bother paying attention to the new backstory they shoved up the hole. I wanted those lovable killer apes back!

As for what killed it, I'm hesitant to say the third season, though it was where it fell apart. Torme was loosing control, the stories were getting lazy and even dreadful ("Paradise Lost"), and they even tried to rewrite Quinn and Rembrandt's personalities, but there were a few good stories in the first half with even some bad episodes possessing at least one redeeming sliver, and the chemistry made even the worst episodes watchable. No, the point of no return was "Exodus". They rape Davies' idea so as to deliver the most flawed scientific idea where even a ten-year-old can point out at least one major inaccuracy (sound in space or not taking light-speed into account), introduce one of the most unlikable characters to replace a beloved character they kill off - and they don't even just off him, they drain his brain so he'll talk like an idiot, then shoot him so his body can get blowed up - and set up a pointless story arc afterwards. Not to mention Davies' absence caused a chain reaction that would never leave the series the same again, as he was the glue things together, and the remaining episodes of the season, without Davies speaking up for quality, were just pathetic, even in contrast to earlier episodes of the season.

Yes, the fourth and fifth seasons did improve, but only enough to rise above season three, which isn't really that hard to do. It was decent, but not the same show I fell in love with. It didn't just have that charm that drew me in from the start. Not just in terms of the different cast, but the elements didn't feel as... organic. It felt like... well, like it was being churned out by the cartoonish Sci-Fi Channel (how Battlestar Galactica has thrived there, tis a mystery).

Edited on 08/30/2006 2:13pm
    Edited 2 total times.

WarGrowlmon15

[27]Aug 31, 2006
    • level: 8
    nmcdowall wrote:
    Like others, for me it was when Arturo died and Wade was replaced, unfortunately I completely lost interest after that. Previous to that I was such an avid fan, just shows how easily a show can be ruined.
    Yeah I agree season 3 should have ended almost as it did but not exactly the same: Wade and Remmy should have slid home alone like they did, Rickman should have died like he did, but it should have ended with Quinn and Maggie tracking the wormhole to Earth Prime and that being the end of it. Except maybe they could have had that **** Maggie die when they go there

WarGrowlmon15

[28]Aug 31, 2006
    enervator wrote:
    I think that I really lost interest when they weng Kromagg crazy. I wasn't even that crazy about the idea when it was just one episode, but when they basically dedicated the whole show to this one plotline I really lost interest. Then in the last season they pretty much forgot about the Kromaggs entirely, but unfortunately brought in Mallory, who was worthless, and Diana, who I didn't really hate although she really didn't do anything for me. Mallory really was the straw that broke the camel's back. Remmy was a good supporting character, but thrusting him into the Quinn role was another mistake. Kari Wuhrer never really bothered me, although by losing so much of the original cast they simply lost practically everything appealing about the show.

As lacking as I think the 4th and especially 5th seasons were, I still wish they'd do some kind of wrap-up show. Leaving this series on a cliffhanger like they did was a terrible move, and a real slap in the face to everyone who did stick with it from beginning to end.

The guy who played Remmy actually supported a cliffhanger ending. He loved doing the show and was hoping that that would force the network to do a miniseries or something to wrap it up and allow the fans to get more.

WarGrowlmon15

[29]Aug 31, 2006
    ace2542 wrote:
    Perhaps but I am shocked that no one is giving for the orignal storylines of season 4 that were much stronger than the ones from season 3. The sliders did need an enemy of some kind. Maybe not the kromaggs, maybe they should have done more with Logan perhaps

Yeah I agree. I wanted at least one more episode of her but she may be dead. Quinn said he set her timer to another dimension but like she said he may have had a dark side buried deep inside of him. He could have really sent her back to her world with the worng corridnates so that she'd die like everyone else who went through the wormhole before the Proffesor including his double. Also that bullet got pulled back through the wormhole so it may have killed her also. In a fan written virtual season 6 it wraped everything up: Remmy freed Earth Prime with the virus by managing to get it into a Kromagg with the help of an alternate of Diana from Earth Prime who sacrificed her eyes to do the job. He then returned to the Seer's world by opening a wormhole with the help of Alternate Diana using a Manta Ship's sliding and tracking technology. In the second one he returned to that world only to be ambused by a pissed off Logan. In the end of that one Mallory managed to defeat her and she was arrested and taken prisoner on that world. As for the Slider's Mallory managed to get Logan's timer and they continued sliding using that and taking Mrs. Mallory with them and ultimatly returning her home. They then decided to go on in an attempt to get Quinn and Colin back figuring Colin was still alive unlike what Dr. Geiger said because the Seer said that he felt Wade and the Proffesor's death but never said anything about him. Ultimatly they landed on a world where some scientists trying to develop sliding technology using Kromagg technology as a basis (on that world the virus wiped out the Kromaggs the same one that freed Earth Prime, The Seer's World and Christina from season 4's homeworld although they're not sure where that world got it since it suddenly appeared there) they accidently created a machine that made you unstuck but was also able to re-stick you for lack of a better term. Using that they restored Colin before destroying the machine and sliding to Diana's homeworld where they hoped to be able to restore Quinn and the dying Colin by combining the Kromagg technology they got from the machine with the combine. They ultimatly succeded with Colin but with Quinn were unsuccesful until they discovered that Geiger had made a perfectly aged clone of himself. With the clone's help (Diana managed to convince him to help to help redem Geiger's mistakes) they were able to clone Quinn a new body and transfer his mind into it succesfuly seperating him from Mallory. The clone destroyed the lab and himself so that no one could use Geiger's inventions for evil and to help redem Geiger's mistakes. After that thanks to the combined efforts of Quinn, Colin and Diana they finally succeded in the mission that they started when the group left Earth Prime two years before: they reached Quinn and Colin's true homeworld. There they met up with the brothers' real parents and then returned home to Earth Prime and Combine World. Quinn's dad supplied them with timers that once home would allow them to slide to each other's worlds and Kromagg Prime (Quinn's original homeworld) at will as long as they used them after they got home. First they went to Earth Prime and then Diana and Mallory returned to their world where they destroyed Logan's timer by dropping it off an overpass bridge where it got ran over by a car which destroyed it. After that they decided to go back to normal lives

WarGrowlmon15

[30]Aug 31, 2006
    HDMe wrote:
    The original Kromagg episode wasn't bad... and it setup some possible future things that they never revisited.  Supposedly they had implanted something in one of them to track.  This was never really followed up on... and they weren't aliens, they were an alternate universe's evolution on Earth.

What I didn't like... was the sudden revolution of Quinn not being from the Earth he thought he was.  That seemed forced, and made up.  I also didn't like that they completely dropped the FBI/CIA subplot from the first season. We saw (presumably) on Quinn's home earth they raided his house and found his stuff... but never got back to that in later seasons.

They also invalidated (by tying Kromaggs to his "real" parents) the early episode where the alternate Quinn (the one from episode one that helped our Quinn fix his timer) was stranded on a planet and revealed that he had helped the Kromaggs get technology.  This plot development was dropped completely.

I also always liked Wade.... though Kari Wuhrer came in as an interesting counter-character at first... and could have made Wade stronger as a character... but instead they killed off Wade and dumbed down Kari's character. Both mistakes.

Now Arturo... I always thought the wrong one got left on that Earth where they had dueling Arturo's... so his death didn't bother me as I thought it was the "evil" Arturo finally making good and sacrificing himself for the team... and I thought we'd eventually see "good" Arturo find the team again and have a reunion but alas Rhyes Davies left the show for good... and I thought he took a touch of class with him that the show sorely needed from him.

I also thought perhaps the Kromagg tracking device (see top of my post) may have been put in Arturo, but which Arturo?  That was a mystery in part because FOX showed some episodes out of order originally so it wasn't clear which Arturo met the Kromaggs.

I thought there were too many Kromagg episodes too, and the Kromaggs changed from what they were originally presented as enigmatic enemies that I thought could have been better used sparingly.

Lots of wrong turns taken on this show after the 3rd season.... and a few taken by FOX prior to that.  A shame really because it started out with a lot of promise.

Fortunately, some mistakes could be fixed...  Arturo could still be out there... Remy still is... They could find that Quinn was still out there, and reverse the "I'm not from that Earth" story by finding that they had been confused with another sliding Quinn (it happens on the show sometimes)... and that our Quinn was not after all the one with the brother.  Any number of good ways to write themselves out of the bad plots and get back to good plots if the actors wanted to and they could sign on quality writers.

I've learned since the show ended that the tracking device was in Quinn that was mentioned in season 4. Also the original plan was for it to turn out that that story about Quinn's brother and Earth Prime not being his homeworld was going to be revealed as false in the origninal season 4 finalie. It was supposed to be a Kromagg trick to get back to their homeworld and Colin was supposed to have been revealed as really being a slightly altered evil clone of Quinn's and there was supposed to be a cliffhanger at the end: a battle between Quinn and Colin as the Maggs invaded that world that they claimed was Quinn's true homeworld

WarGrowlmon15

[31]Aug 31, 2006
    LtAgathon wrote:
     I personally loved the idea of the Kromaggs but will admit they could have handled the story arc better. I wish Torme would have had total control of the series for the entire run, but alas that wasn't going to happen. The "Mallory" character killed the show for me. Allegedly he was supposed to be the combination of two Quinns but I seriously doubt that would make him look completely different. They should have just found a way to write him out like they did with Wade. I might have actually given season 5 more props if they had.

He was actually supposed to be a sort of fraternal double of Quinn and a look at the begining of the episode proved that he wasn't altered by the expirement because he looked like that before the merging

hydroflaven

[32]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 1
    PrescitedEntity wrote:
    Hmm. I can't say that Sliders died on me until the end. Why? I positively adore the premise. Sure, they went off on tangents. Sure, the acting in the later seasons made watching wood interesting. Sure, the plots decided to become less coherent than a babbling chimpanzee. Yet, at its core, Sliders remained about a group of people travelling across diverse universes, each with something to present. That never lost its appeal.

Thank you! I agree 100%. It went downhill, but I was hooked!

jayluv81

[33]Oct 26, 2006
    • level: 9
    This show went down hill when the new writers statred. I loved this show when it first came out and 1&2 were the best most original seasons.3 wasnt great but hey you hang in there right. Yes i agree Maggie became a tart instead of a marine and Wade shouldnt of been replaced Loved the professor too. Season 5 never should have happend ever the whole time your like WHAT? For me it was like watching a train wreck a really long train wreck. I kept hoping somehow they would fix it And the last episode was such an UNJUSTICE to what was a great start of scif television  I was hoping they would have at least tried to seperate the Quinn thing for the finale but apparently they thought they had  show of coming back.

Streeca

[34]Oct 29, 2006
    • level: 15
    jayluv81 wrote:
    the whole time your like WHAT? For me it was like watching a train wreck; a really long train wreck. I kept hoping somehow they would fix it. And the last episode was such an UNJUSTICE to what was a great start of scifi television

This is exactly what i feel about the last three quarters or so of season 3.

rhysy123456789

[35]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 17

First two seasons GREAT!

Third season comes along- Wasn't terrible but I admit I was gutted when Arturo was gone but it was nice having a new slider!

Season 4- oh dear......

Wade should never have been written out! I didn't mind Maggie and I didn't mind Colin either but it was just going downhill

and then Season 5...

I haven't watched a SINGLE episode of season 5. Can you blame me?

The only characters I can relate to is Rembrandt and Maggie as they've been on longer than this Diana chick and this Mallory guy!

Awful!

A great show ruined!

HDMe

[36]Jan 6, 2007
    You know... now that I think about it... in "Invasion" we see how the Kromaggs have the ability to get inside people's heads and make them see/hear things that aren't real.  Also at the end of that episode they say they are tracking the sliders now.

It would not be a huge stretch to classify ALL of Season 4 as Kromagg mindgames.  We know they are trying to get the coordinates of Quinn's homeworld from "Invasion".  So...  when Quinn goes to his homeworld they know he was there, but he wasn't there long enough for them to follow him in "Exodus".

They knew Wade/Remy went home, but couldn't follow them since they were tracking Quinn.  So, when Quinn attempts to follow the others home, the Kromaggs try to tap into his timer and follow him but since their signals still interfere (according to "Invasion") the result is Quinn/Maggie end up in futureworld.

Kromaggs are pissed... so they abduct Quinn/Maggie and season 4 mindgames ensue with Quinn being made to think he followed them home and the whole alternate Kromagg history.  Could be Colin was real, but from a dimension where that Quinn had a brother so he was real but the rest was mindgames.

Meanwhile Wave/Remy are home and wondering what happened.  I still vote for Arturo to come back since he was accidentally left on the planet back in "Post Traumatic Slide Syndrome"... and perhaps he finds Wade/Remy and they realize they are not home after all so they go in search of Quinn and it takes them a while to meet up.

Season 4 could be thusly integrated and useful... and any plotholes are the result of Kromagg making stuff up...Wade not being part of the mindgames explained by how she was resistant to them before and it was too hard for them to fake her emotions with regards to Quinn... so that's why they "wrote her out" of season 4.

Season 5 still needs to be summarily discarded and wholely ignored.  I can't make that season fit no matter what I do.

moogon

[37]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    it went down hill for me when Q-Ball left the show.. boo.

thewiseman

[38]Apr 16, 2007

what killed sliders for me was when the original cast members started to leave, Arturo and wade for me were big characters in the show. it also used to be about 4 people lost trying to find there way home and exploring parallel worlds which i found interesting.

by the end of season 3 i was very upset how things ended, i can not bring myself to watch season 4 & 5

Edited on 04/17/2007 3:10am
    Edited 2 total times.

thewiseman

[39]Apr 22, 2007

i think what killed sliders was when maggie (i think thats her name the one who can't act) first came to the show.

i don't know if it's true but i heard that maggie was to replace wade because they wanted someone better looking, if thats true i think wade (Sabrina lloyd) is ten times better looking then maggie

labsrule106

[40]Apr 25, 2007
    • level: 6
    thewiseman wrote:

i think what killed sliders was when maggie (i think thats her name the one who can't act) first came to the show.

i don't know if it's true but i heard that maggie was to replace wade because they wanted someone better looking, if thats true i think wade (Sabrina lloyd) is ten times better looking then maggie

ITA, but I don't think what you heard is entirely true. I heard that the producers or somebody got tired of having 2 female cast members and all of the tension (between the characters and the actresses), so they decided to write one out. The head honcho or whoever wanted one gone didn't care who, but whoever chose picked to keep Maggie cuz he thought she was better looking and to get rid of Wade (Sabrina Lloyd). I think the attractiveness factor might be why Sabrina Lloyd was replaced after season 1 on Numb3rs by a new actress though...that move REALLY pissed me off too....Sabrina Lloyd is a GREAT actress!!!