Sliders Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

What Killed Sliders For Me.

kit220

[41]Apr 28, 2007
    • level: 8

What started to turn me off was the death of the Professor and bringing in Maggie (Yuck, the actress who played her could not act).  I tolerated the episodes because of the remaining cast.  It really killed it for me when Wade was taken off the show.  After that I lost interest and really didnt watch it anymore.  Once in a while I would catch it but it was not the same.  The introduction of Maggie and the constant Kromagg theme made it go downhill really fast.  The final nail in that coffin was bringing in the new Mallory and that girl Diana (was that her name???).  I could tolerate Collin and the whole brother thing, I just didn't like the way they did it.  If they had said Collin was a brother from an alternate timeline and they just took him because he wanted to go, then I think it would have been ok, but the whole long last brother thing, just cheesy.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thewiseman

[42]Apr 28, 2007
    • level: 9

i used to watch sliders when it was on TV, ten years later i decided to buy them on dvd the first two season were great i was watching them from start to finish. on the third season i thought it was ok but when when the professor died, i'm finding it hard to watch the rest i got 4 episodes to go i'm going to try and force myself to watch them but i can remember back in the day that it don't get any better.

D-LinkUK

[43]Jun 17, 2007
    • level: 24
    I'm the same, the first 3 season's were out of this world but when the Professor died and Wade left, Sliders went on a massive plung down hill.

Evil_Dead_Ash

[44]Jun 20, 2007
    thewiseman wrote:

i used to watch sliders when it was onTV, ten yearslater i decided to buy them on dvd the first two season were great i was watching them from start to finish. on the third season i thought it was ok but when when the professor died,i'm finding it hard to watch the rest i got 4 episodes to go i'm going to try and force myself to watch them but i can remember back in the day that it don't get any better.

Exactly right. Killing the professor and the Wade was a disgraceful thing to do and basically an insult to fans of the show. We started watching the show because of these characters; getting rid of them for any reason is incredibly stupid. And they replaced with them charcaters with zero charisma. Colin Mallory is the less attractive, less talented big dumb guy version of his brother. And Maggie... don't go there. She was terrible for this show (or any show?!). As far as I know only some of season 4 was aired in Canada. Season 5 (thankfully) was not available unless you had satellite maybe. I watched a few epiodes from season 4, but I turned away in disgust at how far the show had fallen.
    Edited on 06/19/2007 11:13pm

suplex2000

[45]Sep 9, 2007
    • level: 11
    TylerSoprano wrote:
    I agree with when Arturo died. It all went downhill from there.

That's an interesting statement. Don't you recall an episode (I believe in Season 1 or 2...possibly 3, but I doubt it) where Arturo met his alternate self and they got into a fight right before his time to slide?

They fought, one of the "Arturo's" won the fight and slid through leaving the other one behind. After the vortex closed, the Arturo who was left behind said: "Oh My God", leading us all to believe that he was the real Arturo who missed the slide.

That being said, when Arturo died it was the alternate Arturo that died and the real one was on some dimension of Earth somewhere still alive.

Unfortunately though they never played that angle to get Arturo back when the show started to go downhill.

seto1

[46]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 16
    i hated when they started killing of main characters until none of the originals were left,,not ven quin and he created the device that really sucked

seto1

[47]Sep 10, 2007
    • level: 16
    i hated when they started killing of main characters until none of the originals were left,,not ven quin and he created the device that really sucked

jxsilicon9

[48]Sep 19, 2007
    • level: 10
    The show went downhill when the originals left and they replaced them with people who couldn't act. Plus the kromaggs and Quinn being from another dimension were terrible. Its like they purposely wanted to ruin the show. I tried to watch the later seasons but they are terrible.

megamanking66TJ

[49]Sep 29, 2007
    • level: 5
    The show went downhill when Arturo died, it went further downhill when Wade left, By the time it got to season 5 the entire show became pointless

2crour93

[50]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 8
    Seasons 1 and 2 are fantastic. Season 3 has about six good episodes, a dozen medicore episodes and the rest being the absolute worst of the series. Season 4 has a nice sci-fi flavor with some great episodes, though the characters aren't as good as the originals. Season 5 went off on a tangant a bit with only one of the originals left and too complicated a story, although there are some good episodes. Season 3 is easily the worst of the series.

jamoon2006

[51]Oct 22, 2007
    • level: 36

Losing Arturo and Wade was bad enough, but the show was already circling the drain before their departures with the shift in story quality and the move to providing cheap rip-offs of other movies and dumbing down the characters/plots until the show was a shell of itself.

In Seasons 1 and 2 (moreso in Season 1), you actually got the feeling that these were real worlds the Sliders were visiting. In later episodes, the gimmicks became more and more prevalent (a world where men have babies! a world with zombies!) and storytelling fell by the wayside. Early episodes, like most good science fiction, used the alternate world settings to address interesting topics and examine aspects of society (the gender divide, socio-economic issues). But with the original writers forced out by new mandates at Fox, the fun ended, the mindless action was amped up, and Kari Wuhrer came on board. Gone was the lovely Sabrina Lloyd, who embodied the "girl next door," and everybody's crush; and gone too was the bombastic but brilliant John Rhys-Davies, who provided the paternal elder to the group, the team's moral center and source of moral outrage.

Sliders went from being a fun show to a mindless, cheesy show that not even the valiant efforts of the cast could save. It's too bad, because I still think the original ensemble (Quinn, Wade, Rembrandt and the Professor) was one of the best sci-fi casts of all time.

baskok

[52]Apr 25, 2008
    Sliders was a most original idea of a few people sliding into different parallel worlds. I just recently bought the first 3 seasons. and i must say the first two were great. but then in the 3 rd season they just stole movie plots like mad max, tremors, island of dr moreau even zombies??? i was so dissapointed even more when the professor died. What a way to go, to get your braind fluids sucked out en getting shot by the colonel.
    john rhys davies was right to quit sliders, he even had a lot of comments to make about the show. especially about the 3rd season. And then there was maggie beckket an atractive soldier who was getting rid of her clothes in every episode.
    I bet a lot of guys got a hard on from watching her. That was the end of the show for me

revbucky

[53]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 22
    When the Professor was killed and Maggie joined the team.

Nuff said.

cvjrbdjkasfi

[54]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 7
    With the plot device of Quinn being from Kromagg Prime, there was a great idea that wasn't used. Watching the scene, doesn't it all look a little too convenient? Quinn meeting his mother in a different city to the one they lived, her being allowed to not only have the microdot but a cutting implement to get it out of her arm?

Well, the idea was that the scene was all a Kromagg trick- he wasn't talking to his mother at all, but a Kromagg spy who was using mind control. They wanted to use him to try to find a way around the slidecage so the Kromaggs, who were kicked out, can return to their home Earth. They could track him using the tracking device implanted in him during Invasion (and it has been implied that the Kromaggs have invaded worlds that the Sliders visited).

Quinn's brother wasn't his brother at all, but a clone made from altered DNA from Quinn (again, taken during Invasion). He was to be a plant to try to foil the plans in case the reprogramming of Remmy didn't work.

Sounds good? This was all dropped because they had an episode where Colin ran into his double (thus making that part of the story nonsensical; kromagg creations cannot have doubles). YES I KNOW, DUMB.

Forest_3_12

[55]Oct 19, 2008
    • level: 1
    The thing that ruined it for me was the end of episode six in season 1 where the tidal wave comes in and they obviously died because they had 48 minues of earth time left to endure and then in episode seven when we found they where on another planet so every episode after that was all irrelevant as it did not continue on so season two was a waste of time too as you cant live and die without logical reasoning so realistacally the whole conceptual idea was poor right from the beginning wich made me want to contact the scriptwriters and whoever created and made the show to let them know there series ended after episode six and there should have been no more episodes made if there was going to be no continuation into episode seven so overall i thought the whole series was very poor no salutations warranted , but total disappointment and a lack of creativity on the producers behalf was more appropriate for the way there show was presented and jerry o donnel should have hung his head in shame as should the rest of the cast for being associated with a poor performance tv show

cvjrbdjkasfi

[56]Oct 28, 2008
    You're criticising the use of what is essentially an 'end of episode joke' when you clearly have no idea how to use full stops?

JohnnyDrama8

[57]Nov 22, 2008
    • level: 10

Rembrant lasted all 5 seasons. I think the show for me died Episode 1 season 5 when Quinn left the show he was the heart of the show. Season 5 sucked bad. Season 1-4 were good. I liked 1-2 the most but 3 and 4 were not that bad.

aakeemz

[58]Nov 24, 2008
    I could live without season five, four was the last relevant season.

pferreira86

[59]Dec 8, 2008
    • level: 17

When Arturo died I feel the show died. The episodes leading up to his death (in Season 3) hadn't been that great but you try to remain optimistic that the show will get better. As soon as you begin writing characters out of a show and replacing them you lose the essence of what originally made the show worth watching. The second half of Season 3 was terrible but to then see the show go through more cast and story changes made Sliders unwatchable. It's a great shame considering it was a great show to begin with.

sci-clops

[60]Dec 10, 2008
    • level: 1

What killed it for me was pretty much everything after Season 3. The Kromagg stretch...good Lord!!! Who in the hell thought THAT would be a good idea to run with! Killing off the Professor was bad enough. Even with that, I thought there was still enough left to carry the show. A couple cute ladies, Rembrant still has the 'average guy' appeal, and you still had some brains to keep tabs on the timer in Quinn. Onward to Season 4. Now Wade's gone and the show just went dark and.....uncool with the Kromaggs. On top of that, they're now flipping the 'Who invented sliding' angle into an unrecognizable quagmire. Quinn's not from Earth Prime, has different parents (who just happened to slide before him and his first double), they've been fighting the Kromaggs for decades, blah, blah, blah. Just horrible!

What makes Seasons 4 and 5 so dissapointing is that a show like Sliders is really easy to come up with ideas for. I mean, this is SCIENCE FICTION. We all have that area in our minds where ideas are born, and this show was the perfect chance to turn it loose. Geez! Who's warped mind(s) came up with the crap for the last couple seasons? A 7-year old could've been more creative. I mean, all ya have to do is take what's here (current laws, names, faces, conflicts, and other historical nuances), sprinkle some 'what if' on it, and build a visual realm for it. Apparently this was too much for those responsible for the last two seasons. Using a football analogy, it would be like taking a 13-3 championship team and turning them into a bungling 4-12 laughingstock.