Sliders

FOX (ended 2000)

beowulf579

Sliders Fan Reviews (89)

• It had the seeds of greatness but the foundation was weak. A tornado came and the entire city crumbled like a cookie.

5.2

That's my metaphor of this entire series. It started out great, it really did. I was impressed with Jerry O Connell and I thought Sabrina Lloyd as Wade started ok but a smite negative and dull but I thought maybe she will lighten one day. All the nagging can get to you after some time. Maybe she was the wrong choice to begin with because as the series went along, she became more righteous, naggy, whiny and more wifely like than ever! And there is definitely not much chemistry between Quinn and Wade to pass for anything. The professor was probably the most captivating character capturing the endearing gruffness of House and the intellect to match. He maybe at times a little tad insecure but hey he's human. Rembrandt was alright too being the humor of the series but after a while, I notice the characters were more 1 dimensional and perhaps if they got the dimensional development then maybe this show could have been interesting.

Still I enjoyed Season 1. Season 2 had too much bickering and negativity. Made it all less fun. I was bored with Season 3 and kept forwarding. The ideas were dull, been there and followed the same format of sliders get in trouble, sliders save the world, sliders slide outta there. It was predictable. I am about to watch Season 4 and 5 and am not sure if the change of cast was well explained but let's see. I like Kari Wuhrer and I think she might be hotter than Wade, but Jerry O'Connell's brother joining the show is a little hard to swallow. He doesn't have the same acting chops as Jerry really. I'll save more for later after I'm done watching it all :)

Until then *salute*!
  • Interplanetery travelling

Sliders is about a team of travellers who travel from world to world. Jerry O'Connell played Quinn "Mallory" Mallory who finds a worm hole in his basement, and there it goes from there. It lasted for 5 seasons, but Jerry left after season 4, which could be the reason it slowly cascaded. They also got rid of Wade to a breeding camp but still. It was a fun show to watch over a Bud, but it slowly began to fade after season 3-4, which was a shame as it started out promising. It's a nice guilty pleasure to pass the time away now.
  • I LOVED Kari Wuhrer in this show!

An amazing Sci-Fi show that should have had the success it deserved instead of being buried by lame writing and casting.

Sliders focused on a group of 4 people who discovered a way to 'slide' between parallel worlds. Unfortionatley, they got lost in the inter-dimension, and were consigned to wandering between the many parallel universes in the hope of someday finding their way home.

When Tracy Torme' and Robert K. Weiss created this show in 1995, they had truly made something special. Unfortionately FOX decided to completely ruin it.

They began by airing the episodes out of sequence in the first 2 seasons, meaning that there could be no continuity between episodes, so whenever an extra character slid with the Sliders they were never seen again (with one poor exception). In the 3rd season David "Peckerhead" Peckinpah (a man with less talent than a dog turd) became an Executive Producer and many episodes became movie rip-offs instead of 'what if' concepts where parallel worlds had alternate histories to our own. The amazing John Rhys-Davies was then fired mid season 3 and replaced with Kari Wuhrer, a terrible actress who played a terrible character.

FOX allowed the Sci-Fi channel to take over the show for its 4th and 5th seasons. They put David Peckinpah completely in charge of the show, and he buried it by having ape-men called Kromaggs take over the Sliders' home world and by rewriting the backstory of the lead character completely. The premise was changed from finding home to fighting ape-men. In the last season, only one of the original Sliders remained.

When the show finished, it was without any resolution to many of its story arcs or the final episode's cliffhanger.

I feel Tracy Torme's pain. No one could have imagined that they would create a show as brilliant as Sliders, only to see it totally destroyed before their eyes.

Sliders had so much potential, but it was ruined by talentless hacks like 'Peckerhead'.

The first two seasons and the first part of season 3 are really all that are worth watching unfortunately.
  • A show that got worse every season

6.2
    Sliders as it started out was a drama comedy with a lot of fresh and intelligent ideas, the character's were well drawn out and the fact that you had a group of travellers who were all very independent of one another was different, they constantly separated and went their own ways and did their own thing (in particular see 'The Weaker Sex' which is one of my favourites). The constant use of TV shows as orientation for each new parallel world was also a strong element that you wouldn't see anywhere else as far as I know. Unfortunately the comedy aspect which in Season 1 made a good show great was in season 2 reduced heavily. Other elements introduced in season 2 I didn't like was the constant mention of the Dominion hotel. They had a recurring hotel in the first season but it wasn't mentioned so forcefully. The show in Season 2 still had the ideas but like I said the comedy was lost and it became straight science-fiction drama, a shame in my opinion. Season 3 at first followed in-line with season 2 with some great ideas and good drama (especially 'The Guardian'). However another downfall of Sliders became far more prominent from the first episode of this season, and that is the use of guns to sort out problems (just watch the title sequence for each iteration of the show and you'll realise how much guns are prominent in the later Seasons). Until then the use of guns was something that hardly ever appeared and never as a problem solver. This plus Rembrandt Brown's ongoing change in character into more serious and macho, led to the final part of the season where Guns became the be all and end all of everything (that and movie rip-offs due to lack of ideas, I cringe at 'Dream Master's' a take on Nightmare on Elm Street and the first really bad seed). They obviously wanted a military aspect introduced and it didn't suit the show in my opinion. They didn't follow things up from earlier in the Season either as a obvious recurring bad guy would have been Quinn's female double Logan St Clair. Instead she doesn't show up ever again and we get Colonel Rickman (my guess is it was supposed to be Logan St Clair originally but because they were introducing Maggie they wanted to ground her character with someone she knew). They also decide to kill off Quinn's mentor (most eccentric and best character) Professor Arturo and replace him with the Angry Military Woman (Maggie Beckett). The thing is that we'd found out earlier in season 3 that he was dying anyway so the way they killed him off made no sense and sort of undermined his character arc. Season 4 was in my opinion the worst, along with the introduction of the Chandler Hotel (even more of an annoyance than the Dominion from season 2 because at least the Dominion was a different hotel each time) the re-introduction of the sliding bad guys The Kromaggs (from a season 2 episode which was good but personally I wanted to see a whole episode set in Frenchland) as Nazi's was badly thought out and they didn't know what to do with them despite being in 7 episodes or something it felt more like 15. Ideas became thin as well with almost a pointless plot thread where Quinn was from a parallel Earth pretty much wasted. Really it was only to introduce a brother character for Quinn and nothing much else. Talking about Colin I quite liked him actually, I think the actor's (Jerry O'Connell's brother) performance was judged unfairly as he was supposed to be flat in the way he talked. One thing that in this Season didn't work for me was Wade being captured by the Kromaggs and Maggie almost acting like a less interesting replacement. It made sense to get rid of Angry Maggie but she wasn't her own character basically. Thankfully, the final season improved upon this as she became more motherly.

With Season 5 we lost our main character Quinn and his brother Colin. This was a major sea change as Rembrandt was now the only Original character left and was morphed into almost an old man. This kind of worked but dragged, when the idea of him being tired of Sliding comes up you can kinda see it. 2 new characters are introduced in this season with Diane a scientist (the science aspect had somewhat fell by the wayside in the last 2 seasons) and Mallory the cheerful Jock. Although they weren't great characters it sort of felt nice to have the elders and the youngsters dynamic at times. The main problem with this Season was that although it had some good ideas (definitely better than Season 4) it had no budget what so ever. This resulted in a flatness as such mainly because everywhere looked the same, everywhere looked like a grey corridor. It at times looked like it was filmed by an amateur as well. You can clearly see them trying to address a balance that had been lost in Season 4 but it only half working. The Kromaggs and the name dropping of the Chandler hotel were greatly reduced and I actually found the military episode (Strangers and Comrades) to be extremely enjoyable. This is particularly ironic considering my opinion that Guns are partly to blame for the series Ruin. So definitely worth it in particular for the first Season but also the second. It's worth watching Season 3 as well just to see how the show changes the way it does.
  • Four acquaintances travel through parallel universes searching for their home.

6.3
    This was one of the best new ideas for a sci-fi show to hit the air waves. When the show began it was inventive and had great potential to capture the imagination of a new generation of sci-fi fans. However, with each passing season, the writing became more and more copies of older sci-fi films or simply a medium for someone's personal agenda. Finally, the cast began bailing from the show like rats from a sinking ship (and I certainly can not blame them for their decision). As a result, the show was nursed along for some unknown reason and finally it was brought out to the woodshed like Old Yeller. It was a good start, but failed to finish.
  • A pretty original show...shame about the scripts. Watch it for at least the first 2 seasons though.

Sliders had an original concept that allowed the writers to do anything they want every week. Borrowing elements from Quantum Leap (leaping and sliding into a new story every week with little continuity to carry over other than for the main cast) and The Outer Limits (comments on society...a lot!), Sliders took it's influences but never wore them fully on their sleeve. Thus giving itself a personality of it's own.

What help was the brilliant mis-matching of minds between the four original sliders. Brilliant but brash young scientist, his over-bearing but intrigued professor, his best friend/love interest and probably most original...a washed up soul singer. Yes, obviously Rembrant was there as a kind of eyes of the viewer, constantly questioning Mallory's techno-babble, but he was very much a 3D character in his own right.

If this was any other US sci-fi, the main cast would have been like Stargate (they're always on the same wavelength, always). Here, Sliders took the idea of being lost and finding uses and friendships in people you wouldn't think about in a normal situation. Sliders was basically held together by these four people, even when the episodes were bad.

And yes, quite a few were bad. Unable to really live up to limitless potential (not to mention the obligation of some kind of action) of parallel worlds, the writers would usually rely on the "utopia that is really dystopia" or even the just plain daft "zombies and vampires of the week". There was some poor writing which got Sliders stuck in a rut early on. They'd slide, go to a hotel, one of them would discover something bad, adventure, meet an ally, Quinn would say some speech before they slid (despite Arturo saying they literally had seconds left!) and repeat. Despite this being the sliders actual routine in a new world, we didn't need to see it being played out every week. Basically, if you ever need to learn anything about a parallel world...ask the hotel staff! They seemed to know EVERYTHING!

Rubbish writing aside, when Silders hit upon a great idea it really worked (see the Lobbying For Men's Rights episode). It really could use the stories as a satirical slant on what was happening in our world at the time. There were some great "what if?" episodes that really excelled. Only some were bogged down buy the obligatory all-out action. It's fine to see them run for their lives (you have to have that sometimes!) in certain episodes, but while it was suggested that not all worlds were bad, it just painted a lazy picture that Earth Prime was the best and every where else was bad. Extremely bad.

But even during these episodes, it was held together by the four sliders. You really cared for them and there was always that hope that they would make it home together. Sadly it wasn't the case. Season 3 amid all it's network troubles really lost focus, the shock death (the moment where it jumped the shark) was the beginning of the end. Stories were focused on more action and adventure (not alwyas bad, but very throwaway) and the new sliders that would eventually join would never gel well with originals. Did we really need an ex-marine in the group? Let's face it, Wade was miles better but made redundant when the action girl came into it (undoing years of character building). The suprise twist of a brother didn't help too. The show just started to add things because no-one mentioned them in the early episodes.

While it nice to see they had an arch nemesis and the idea that there were other sliders out there, it just didn't feel the same as the quirky off-beat show about four normal people in a bizarre predicament; with the basic premise of wanting to go home.

There's nothing memorable about the final half of the series. An alien race that enslaved humanity in all parallels was re-introduced, back in full empirical army mode. A real shame, since the idea that they were out there on the firnges of the unknown was a much better and horrific idea. It couldn't be as far removed as possible for the show. Rembrant become tougher and a natural leader, but with losing Mallory, the show lost it's scientific counterpoint (though thankfully the self-smug, obligatory, Quinn speech to some doe-eyed woman at the end of each slide. Bleurgh!). Sure, they had him in a new body but the lines given just weren't him. It's fair to say that this reviewer tuned during the end of Seasson 3, catching the odd later episode here and there. But from what was seen, the show (while much darker) had lost all touch with reality. There was no chemistry between any of the cast and with 3 of the originals gone, you had to wonder why the actor playing Rembrant ever stuck around.

It's a shame really, but when you can only do so many "what if?" episodes, where do you go from there?

All we wanted to see was them making it home and while the twist in Season 3 prevented that, it's a shame it never ended there with the survivors making it back. It was a case of carrying on for the sake of it (epsecially the evil slider aliens...WHAT? Who cares!), with a sense that "going home" really wasn't as exciting as "saving the worlds".

So with what amounts to two quirky, flawed, but entertaining two seasons; a darker and more weird 3rd...and two seasons that no-one watched because they were appalling...Sliders will go down in history as a cult sci-fi that had bags of potential, but never lived up to what could have been.

Watch it for the first two seasons at least though!
  • Okay, I continue to watch a show that I have rated 6.6 .... well just because I did not rate it high does not mean that I don't continue to rent the DVD's and watch it.

6.6

I need to asked myself why? The premise is far fetched. And yet, it is interesting to think and examine what our world would be like if only...... What would I be like if only......

Once I get passed my issues with the premise, I am back to the storytelling and values that it makes me examine. A show that makes me think is indeed worth watching. It makes me realize how much my life has been determined by a "chance" happening. How much maybe our whole society has been shaped by "chance" events.

In addition, they acting just makes you smile. That is always a good thing.
  • Great show when John Rhys-Davies was still playing proffessor Maximiliano, got a bit downhill in season 3 and the way Jerry O\\\'Connell (Quinn Mallory) was written out of the series. But the last episode was the one that really sucked.

The series that really recieves the tag Going Downhill Fast. In the first seasons every episode you get another supprise is switched to a boring enn and al lot of crew changes. Of the origional cast only Cleavant Derricks (Rembrand \\\'Remmy\\\' Brown) is in all episodes. The final episode was such a anti climax that it really blew down my rating from 8.0 to 7.0.
  • This show could have been the greatest sci-fi show ever, till ruined by the network and their producers.

Mind you, I'm not the type of person to make statements like "best sci-fi show ever" lightly. But it's a shame to think about what could have been.

The premise - traveling to alternate versions of Earth - was fantastic. Rather than just space and time travel, which had been done to death, this series went for something fresh and exciting. (Yes, the concept of parallel universes had been around in sci-fi for a long time prior to this, but never in a weekly TV series format.)

The characters were great - Quinn Mallory, the geek who doesn't know he's a stud; Wade Wells, his wallflower friend with a crush on him, who doesn't realize she's a babe; Maximillian Arturo, the pompous professor who doesn't realize he's all that; and Rembrandt Brown, the show-business icon who doesn't realize he's washed up. And the cast played them perfectly.

Season 1 was phenomenal, integrating humor and good characterization with exciting action, reasonable science, and a genuine interest in its own premise. (Only Sci-Fi Channel ever shows the episodes in their proper order, though. Fox totally botched the running order, and the DVDs actually repeat this mistake!)

The ratings were bad, though, because the "Melrose Place" lead-in audience wasn't smart enough to get this show. So the network demanded that the writers remove all humor from the show--one of its best elements. So Season 2, while it had some shining moments, was often pompous and silly.

The ratings dropped further. So the network insisted that the writers plagarize popular movies for their storylines. And the characters started acting wildly inconsistently.

The ratings dropped further. So the producers killed off the Professor--the most intelligent and most popular character--and replaced him with a dumb bimbo.

The ratings dropped further, and Fox cancelled the show after having systematically killed it.

Over on the Sci-Fi Channel, things didn't get much better. Gone were the movie ripoffs, but Quinn was saddled with some bizarre new "Superman" storyline and a brother who couldn't act. The show began to play like a bad Saturday-morning cartoon.

Wade got killed off, then eventually Quinn and his brother too.

So in Season 5, we have Rembrandt and a bunch of characters we don't even know trying to accomplish who-knows-what (since Remmy's home had been destroyed, and the other three left home by choice). The show was a sad, pathetic parody of what it had been by the time it went off the air. Killing it was an act of mercy.

Maybe someday Tracy Torme (the show's creator) can get a hold of this and restore the show to the classic it was always meant to be in the first place.

• Dimensional/Time travel with a twist.

7.2
    As it has been noted before, this show started to decline at around season 3, making season 4 very unwatchable after the main characters left the show. The thing I used to like about this show were the great stories and the anxiety the characters would experience before finding out what kind of universe they have landed on this time. Sadly, the budget, I suppose, limited the kind of universes they would visit because most of the times were just our regular universe with some kind of different laws or ideals. One good thing is that the show was never boring, there was always action going on.
  • I think the Sliders show was way ahead of the cirve at the time.

7.2
    I think the Sliders show was way ahead of the curve at the time. Simply put the show probably died because the plots were basically of the same linear design. And most of the effects were lame. But i enjoyed the show though it was great most of the time you actually really got into the story up until the when they left. But throughout the entire series they all ended the same and started the same. And they never really mention the previous episode. And what was the deal with the cromags near the end? Also it kinda sucked they didn't finish the series the right way since it was canceled .
  • A fabulous start, barely surving through the end.

7.4
    I have to say that i loved this show in the beggining. Not very accurate in scientific therms, but who really cares. That cast was great the stories great and very original.

With the changes that began to happen in the cast, began the end of the show. Until the fourth season it was a great show but fourth and fifth season were just ok and sometimes very bad. Not only because of the new characthers but also because of the storyline.

The professor was my favorite character. very funny, brilliant and had simply great fights with the others.

In the end its still a show a recomend for those who love sci fi shows even if its only great for the 3 first seasons.

...and be prepared if you see all of the seasons to see the worst ending ever...
  • was a cool show at first

this was a pretty cool show at first. i would say through the first three seasons it was great. then it went downhill fast. after john reece-davies left it started to suffer. then they brought in those stupid kromaggs and it really started to hurt just to watch. by the time it made it to the sci-fi channel i just could not watch it anymore. allthough i saw the last episode, and said it is about time.
  • Sliders, a show about 4 traveling friends... who just happen to be traveling dimensions! This Show was well written, and had a compelling story.

I miss this show, up until a month or so ago SCI-FI was showing an episode every weekday. The story was great, and although the last couple seasons kind of tanked, I thought it was still compelling television. I wish SCI-FI would do a movie, just to show what happens to ALL the characters from the show.
  • The first two seasons were ace, then it all hit the fan

7.6
    I really liked the first two seasons of this show, the concept was simple but it had the scope for a good 4 or 5 seasons from the outset - as long as the writing staff didnt get lazy. A bit of a different take on the outstanding Quantum Leap, this show had credibility, a good core cast and some decent stories. As Season 3 began it went horribly, horribly wrong. The Kromags were introduced in the season 2 cliffhanger, I had no problem with them except the idea of the became a big focus of the show rather than seperate episodes about different dimensions. This was an obvious attempt to improve ratings, the same happened in Enterprise with the Xindi story although in that case I think it worked much better. The next pitfall was when Professor Arturo left and the dynamic of the cast was lost - his replacement just didnt have the necessary flair for the role. Following that we lost Wade, another integral cast member, then to top it off in Season 5's opening episode Quinn and his brother were merged into a whole new character (and actor) called Malorie!!! HAHAHAHA RIDICULOUS! I stopped watching the show as soon as that happened, and im not at all suprised that it was cancelled that year.
  • Jerry O'Connell plays a prodigy who discovers sliding technology to visit alternate timelines of the earth existing in parallel quantum realities.

7.8
    I was a fan of this series for the same reason that "Time Tunnel," "Voyagers" and "Quantum Leap" were all great series, but something happened between the second and third seasons that made the show a rip-off of "Stargate." "Sliders" had started off as a show that showed worlds where some historical event never happened or as a political satire on society, but it went downhill in a way that I lost interest. I could almost forgive for replacing Sabrina Lloyd with Kari Wuhrer, but then they eliminated the professor, gave Quinn a brother he didn't need and then eliminated both of them. I had stopped watching the series entirely by that point. It was not the same show by that point and I had lost interest. Let this show be an example of how excessive tampering can ruin a once great cult series!
  • Great first two seasons!

I really liked this show until it got to season 3. It was adventrous and had a great story line that followed a group of four people as they traveled the world to find their home earth in the first two seasons. Season 3 slowly became a totally different story line as another species engaged in war with everyone, which had little if not nothing to do with the concept of the show. Two of the main characters were no longer in the show and it rapidly became unbearable to watch. That being said, I LOVED the first two seasons! One of the best!
  • Stick with Seasons 1, 2 and the first half of Season 3. After that, you're on your own.

Ah, "Sliders." Perhaps one of the best examples of the harm that network interference and "improvements" can do to a show, "Sliders" began as a clever, fun series with a cast who could play the tongue-in-cheek humor and sci-fi adventure that each episode brought them. As the years went on (and the networks changed), the cast broke up and the promise the show displayed at the outset must have been left behind on some other world.

The first two seasons showed "Sliders" firing on all cylinders. The worlds they visited were interesting beyond their one-sentence premise ("Russians rule America," "No Constitution," "Penicillin was never invented") and provided some good stories. And at the center of it all was the cast - Jerry O'Connell as the whiz kid inventor of sliding; Sabrina Lloyd as the best friend/maybe girlfriend who was everyone's little sister; Clevant Derricks providing comic relief, but also some heart and emotion to the group; and John Rhys-Davies, bombastic, arrogant but brilliant, and the mentor/father of the quartet.

Season 3 showed trouble ahead...the episodes started to lack the wit and imagination they had previously shown. Violence and skin were increased; thought and drama were slipping away. Frustrated with what he rightfully saw as the missed opportunities of the series, John Rhys-Davies quit (was fired? it's still unclear...), his character unceremoniously killed off by Roger Daltrey (in a baffling stunt casting moment) and replaced by Kari Wuhrer, an easy-on-the-eyes military chickie who, at times, seemed to have a bigger bra size than IQ. By then, the plots and parallel worlds were little more than thinly veiled take-offs on other sci-fi movies and the series was canceled from Fox.

The Sci-Fi Channel hosted a 2 season revival, but without the Professor, Wade and (eventually) Quinn, the magic was gone. Fox should have been happy with what it had. Instead, it transformed a nice little sci-fi series into a mess. Check out the early shows and enjoy.
  • My take on the downfall of Sliders, a show with so much promise and potential, ruined by poor casting decisions and personal vendettas!

SEASON 1: Sliders began and opened up the possibility of travel to alternate realities, in a fun, interesting and entertaining way. For example; choosing to play out different scenarios, such as Women ruling the world, or Australia as a super power. These were, to a certain extent realistic alternatives and good to watch.

SEASON 2: The show continues, the issues faced throughout each passing episode become smaller and more and more personal to the characters, but nonetheless they are entertaining and provide more possibilities. The dynamic of the cast is great and it is this season, where they peak together and where I believe the show was at its height.

SEASON 3: John (the professor) is fired halfway through the season, because the exec producer doesn't like him. As far as I am concerned this was the beginning of the end. Not only was he killed off, he had his brain sucked out, he was shot and then left to be blown up on a planet all alone. NICE! The professor added a character irreplaceable by (robot-woman) Maggie, who couldn't even have chemistry with a lab full of equipment. To top off the season, Sabrina (wade) leaves because the team decides Maggie is who they want (why I will NEVER know). Oh and don't forget the hassle Sabrina faced due to her relationship with a crew member. (Kari was a bully).
    Also I must point out the Sabrina's character Wade was subsequently punished by being left in limbo to be raped in some disgusting Cromag breeders camp! They didn't even kill her off just left her hanging! NICE!

SEASON 4: Enters a new era of downhill and sometimes ridiculous storylines. Jerry's brother Colin joins, which adds mild entertainment to the show, but the wounds of the departure of Wade and the professor run deep. The fans just can't forget. The season comes to an end and both brothers leave. Jerry's not getting the salary he deserves and the producers don't want Charlie without Jerry. NICE - talk about a slap in the face for Charlie!

SEASON 5: HA don't get me started shall I even bother?! This is by far the worst season ever. IT should never have been written let alone shot and aired. What were they thinking? The Unstuck man really told us what to expect, A phony Quinn and Colin, awful, AWFUL. There was no show without Jerry period! It was pointless and the show really should have been ended properly at the end of season four. To make things worse this season doesn't even have a real ending. It's a cliffhanger. If you have never seen it then I advise you to never watch season five EVER!
    One thing I will say about this season, it resolves the 'what happened to Wade sort-of mystery'. However, still they couldn't make it a nice ending, they had to have her disfigured, and she was more of a freak experiment than anything else. Just goes to show how much the producers still hated her. If you ask me it was them portraying their bitterness at how the show went downhill and then quite simply died after season three!

So in conclusion, a great show to being with, offering lots of opportunities and possibilities, then bam it gets bitten by a snake and we all know what happens when you get bitten by a venomous snake!
  • Sliders was a show about a rag tag band of 4 with one named Quinn Mallory who invented a way of "sliding" to parallel dimensions. Same planet, same year, but everything else is different. His invention malfunctions and they can't find their way home.

Seasons 1-3 of Sliders aired on FOX. The pilot was a brilliant 2 hour TV Movie, where a college genius named Quinn Mallory invents a device allowing him to cross or "slide" into a parallel dimension where it's the same planet and the same year, but everything else is different. Long story short, when Quinn starts exhibiting odd behavior his professor Maxamillion P. Arturo and his co-worker Wade Welles come to his house to check on him. He decides to take them on a slide. Problem is he tried to open a bigger portal to accommodate more people and ended up over loading the remote or "Timer", and ends up sucking up a random passerby (Rembrandt Brown) into the portal as well. The overload causes the coordinates back home to be disabled and instead it just sends them to random parallel worlds. Now, they have to keep sliding to find their way home. Seasons 1 and 2 were amazingly brilliant, with many parallel worlds focusing on alternate history scenarios and encounters with doubles of themselves. FOX attempted to can it, but decided to bring it back for a 3rd season. However, the brass at FOX decided that the show needed more action and pressured the producers to change the concept from alternate histories to worlds based off of disaster movies. The episodes became less like television episodes and more like one hour sci-fi channel "B" movies with disaster concepts. Episodes ripped off movies like Tremors and Twister. Also, they decided to kill off the professor which is where the show jumped the shark midway through season 3. They then brought in a sexy new actress named Maggie who was supposed to help the ratings but didn't. After season 3 FOX still ended up cancelling Sliders. Luckily, the SciFi channel (now known as SyFy) picked the show back up for seasons 4 and 5. Well, if you thought FOX was destroying Sliders, then you haven't seen anything yet. SciFi channel literally butchered the series. The SciFi channel Sliders seasons sucked because they got rid of Wade, and brought in Quinns brother Colin from another dimension. Then they claimed that Quinn isn't even from the Earth that he has been trying to get back to for the last 3 seasons... basically making the entire concept of trying to get back home utterly pointless. Making the first 3 seasons seem like it was all for nothing. Well, then season 5 rolls around just when you thought it couldn't get any worse. Quinn gets merged with a double that doesn't even look like him, and creates a new Quinn that they simply refer to as "Mallory". They got a new guy playing Mallory and he sucks. Then, Colin gets stuck on the astral plane during a slide which basically means that he got stuck in limbo and lost forever. So, now the only original slider is Rembrandt, who began the show as the token wise cracking black guy but in Season 5 becomes the lead actor in the series. That is the one saving grace of Season 5 is that we see Rembrandt really mature and finally reach his potential. It's just sad that all the other main characters had to be written off before the writers gave him more of a chance. So, season 5 doesn't make much of any sense because Rembrandt is still trying to get home, but he has 3 people with him that don't even belong on his Earth lol (Mallory, Maggie, and a new black chick that got picked up along the way). Then, the final episode really makes you mad because the next slide was supposed to kill them, but Rembrandt risked it to get back home with a virus that would kill off this alien race that has been infesting dimensions including his Earth. He slides alone with the virus, and we never know his fate because Sci-Fi channel blew all of Sliders budget on other projects because they didn't think a season without Quinn would do well... but it somehow actually did, but by then it was too late. (Interesting note: The 2 hour pilot, and Sliders as a whole seemed to borrow a lot of ideas and some of it's premise from 'Back to the Future'. Sliders was essentially like the cousin of 'Back to the Future'. Part of that may be that they were both backed by Universal. Think for a moment, in 'Back to the Future' Marty was a sarcastic intelligent school kid who along with his scientist buddy Doc Brown travels back through time, and when the machine malfunctions he has to figure out a way back home before it's too late. In Sliders, Quinn was a sarcastic intelligent school kid who along with his professor Arturo travels through parallel dimensions, and when the machine malfunctions he has to figure out a way back home. Sound familiar??? Now, there are lots a differences obviously, but there are some distinct eerie similarities. Marty is Quinn. Doc Brown is Professor Arturo. Jennifer is Wade. Marvin Berry (the lead of that soul group that performed at Marty's parents 'enchantment under the sea' dance) is Rembrandt Brown. In Back to the Future 2, Marty runs into himself... In Sliders, Quinn often runs into doubles of himself. In Back to the Future 2, Marty's dad is dead in the future timeline... and alive in the present. In Sliders, Quinn's dad is dead in his dimension and alive in other dimensions. Jennifer Parker Marty's g/f and Wade are both the girl next door types. Sliders, borrowed a lot of characters and plot lines from Back to the Future, with the difference being instead of time travel.. parallel dimensions. Sliders basically cookie cuttered characters from 'Back to the Future' and changed the concept from time travel to dimensional travel... and as the series wore on it really took off and established its own identity and began to look very different from Back to the Future.)
  • Back to the nineties..

For me, this is a show that really brings me back to my early teen years. When the show first aired I was ten years old. It so reminds me of the nineties, such a wonderfull time.

Momentarily I own seasons one, two and three on dvd. I really enjoy watching this show on a rainy or wintery Sunday afternoon, with a blanket, a hot cup of milk and the fire place on.

A couple of years ago they used to air this show on Sunday afternoons in Belgium, along with Lois and Clark: the new adventures of Superman. Man, that was a big trip back to the nineties!

I's always nice to watch shows from your childhood, because you always romanticize them and often remember them to be better than they actually were. Sometimes it might be better to just keep the memories and don't watch the show again :). But in case of Sliders, I would defenitely recommend watching it again ;).
  • Started as a great science fiction series

The first two seasons was terrific. Season three started strange and ended on a weird note. ***Spoiler Alert*** When they had Arturo killed off, the show went downhill and I lost interest in it. I stopped watching it after the third season. I was disappointed that the series went from great science fiction to politically correct sub-themes and poor writing.

The chemistry of the original four characters would be difficult to recreate. In my opinion, the writers failed by introducing Maggie Beckett as a main character to replace Professor Arturo. Her personality is abrasive and I tire of the sexual innuendoes between her and Quinn Mallory. My philosophy is: If it isn't broken, then don't fix it.
  • It was good until Jerry OConnell left the show.

When he left the whole thing started to decay and ended with a thud. Interesting stories for the most part playing out "what if" scenarios while exploring the theory of alternate parallel universes.

I always wondered why they never exited the wormhole into an Earth that had just been devastated by a huge asteroid and was now a glowing lifeless ball of molten rock or an Earth that was an airless, waterless rock full of toxic gasses where life never took hold. Ok, so they would have died the instant the arrived, but hey, it would have been a much better way of ending the series besides the pretty bad episode The Seer. A better ending would have been an arrival in San Francisco with sirens wailing as 3 Russian ICBM warheads approached the city, an electromagnetic pulse from the first detonation wiping out the Sliding Control Device and a blast wave turning the Sliders into smoking skeletons like in Sarah Conners visions in Terminator 2 - a flying HK helicopter passes over the ruins of San Francisco then a skeleton Terminator comes into view, turns and stares into the camera - fade to black. That would have been awesome!

After Jerry left I wasnt all that upset when it was cancelled. It would have been like William Shatner leaving Star Trek after Season 2.
  • Great beginning not so great ending.

I loved this show from the start. But after the professor was taken off the show. It was all down hill from there. They kept bringing in new characters and taking others out. In the end is was like they were sliding with an entire circus. The show had such great promise. They should have just cancelled it after the professor left the show instead of running it into the ground.
  • Sliders, well to begin off I own Seasons 1, 2, 3 on dvd. I was dissapointed to see the Professor leave in Season 3, dont get me wrong the show needed a change but some things are best left alone

My favorite episodes of Sliders were from Seasons 1-2 and part Season 3. I lost interest in Sliders due to the fact couldn't view it for one thing and the episodes became a bit repititive to think that the writers had great ideas but could of had plot twists. GREAT!!!
  • While trying to invent an anti-gravity machine, college student Quinn Mallory accidentally invents something completely different: a way to travel to parallel earths, or as he put it in the narration... "same planet, different dimension" He and a group

It was a promising show at the beginning, one whose premise could have led to nearly infinite storylines if handled correctly and for a while, it seemed they were doing just that. The four main characters, Quinn; his physics professor Maximilian Arturo; Quinn's tomboyish friend Wade Kathleen Welles; and a middle-aged musician named Rembrandt Brown who was convinced he was on his way to a come-back, all worked well together. They journeyed from dimension to dimension in an effort to get back to their own after an accident in the premiere shorted out the device that Quinn had developed.
    The series explored what America would be like if England had won the Revolutionary War, or if Russia or Spain ruled the country, or if the Egyptian civilization of thousands of years ago had never died out. They had episodes which examined the possibilities of the U.S. where women held the social "upper hand", or the justice system was reduced to a game show, hosted by, of all people, the man who played Ralph/Malph in Happy Days.
    Perhaps the best part of those early episodes was the social commentary behind the plots. Many of them made you stop and think. There was a lot being said in them and they had a relevancy that was lost in the later episodes. Then the professor was written out in a very controversial move which I think lost the show a great deal of support and then Wade's character was also lost. When I found out she wasn't coming back I stopped watching the show. By that point it had lost so much of what had made it special to begin with.
  • When Quinn Mallory accidentally invents sliding he and his three companions find they are unable to find their way home again.

Quinn Mallory accidentally invented a machine that gave him the ability to travel between dimensions. With his friend Wade Wells and Professor Arturo they decide to take a spin round the universe...without thoroughly testing the machine first.

Caught up in the vortex is Rembrant "Crying Man" Brown, who is understandably shocked to find himself driving into an iceberg.

Stuck in the middle of a natural disaster with a tornado approaching fast, they have no choice but to ignore a warning from Quinn's double and open the wormhole early. The consequences of their actions are clear...they have not returned home and are now lost in another dimension.

The sliders travel from world to world searching for their home world and encountering friends and enemies along the way.

The show had a great premise and with an infinite number of worlds there was an infinite number of storylines to go with it.

The first series was original, inventive and each episode offered something new to enjoy. The second series was equally enjoyable.

However by the third series the show seemed to have started to lose its direction. With the departure of Arturo and the introduction of Maggie Beckett there were changes in store. The Professor's opinions and knowledge about history were noticeably absent and instead the focus moved to the enemies that the sliders had made during their travels, most notably Rickman, a killer from Maggie's home world and the Kromaggs, a race of beings who are determined to enslave the occupants of every world they slide to.

But the show remained enjoyable to watch and there were some good episodes still to be had.

The fourth series came around and there was a glaring absence in the cast. Wade Wells, played by Sabrina Lloyd, was no longer there. Written out with not even a final episode to do her justice there was an opening for another slider to join the three remaining travellers.

The expansion of the Kromagg storyline gave the sliders a new reason to continue travelling. This time in search for Quinn's natural parents, doubles from another world, and the brother he never knew he had. An interesting idea but one which took the show even further away from its roots.

By series five I had almost given up on the show but after hearing that it was probably the final series watched anyway in order to see just would happen.

The series opened with two more absences, both Quinn and his brother Colin were gone with only a brief glimpse of two actors pretending to be them taking their place. Each of them was then written out with even flimsier storylines than that of Wade. The two replacement sliders, Mallory and Diana are soon travelling with Maggie and the last remaining original slider Rembrant.

The series was not entirely bad, the episodes focusing on Rembrant are always strong, and the episode Requiem at least offered a conclusion to the story of what had happened to Wade all those months ago. But with so many of the old favourites gone and the storylines once again focused not on how the worlds are different, but on the enemies they have made, it was not surprising that a sixth series never arrived.

A great show that went downhill when so many of the cast had left. It lasted well past it prime and like so many other shows gave the viewers no real conclusion.
  • Sliders was amazing for the first few seasons but why the crap would they put Quinn is some wacky portal and bring him back as a new actor...

It really hurts me that i can only give sliders an 8/10 it was just so good put when the cast stated to change and all the dimentions were just like this but with a new government it sucked.

The first few seasons however were amasing. Bursting with creativity. It was full of amazing races and fantastic ideas for currupt governments and the cast worked great together. i would highly recomend the first 2 seasons on dvd to any sci fi fan
  • If ever there were a show that was an example of how network politics can ruin amazing programming, this is that show.

Sliders has always been a special show for me. I'd always been fascinated by the idea of alternate dimensions. Red Dwarf, Star Trek, even a few oddball kid's shows had all briefly explored the idea of alternate dimensions, and I wanted MORE. When the advertisements started on Fox, I knew I had to watch this show.

Although I missed the first episode due to a transmision tower outage, the first season still stands out in my mind as really good television. It was amazing: science fiction BESIDES Star Trek on a major network in primetime. You had comic relief, drama, and enough pseudo-science to keep you entertained and believing it.

It wasn't until partway through the third season that I felt things started to go downhill, specifically with the departure of John Rhys-Davies. It wasn't the fact that he left that made the show worse, nor was it Kari Wuhrer's performance in subsequent episodes. (Though she was a little shakey in her first few episodes) I could tell that Sliders was beginning to move away from the wacky, care-free "let's see what crazy dimension we slide into this time" mechanic they'd used before that point. "Oh well," I thought, "at least it's because they're pursuing Robert Daltrey. He plays a great villain," which kept me happy until I found out that he only played the part of Colonel Rickman in two episodes. Still, the Rickman subplot didn't ALWAYS overshadow the plot of the episode. Sometimes it was still wacky and care-free, except for when the Sliders remembered they were after not-Roger Daltry.

Season four, I must say, is really where the quality went way way WAY downhill. The re-introduction of the Kro-Maggs was something I had expected would last one or two episodes, not an entire season. From what I understand, this change of focus was due to SciFi's desire for something to compete with X-files' fixation on conspiracies at the time, which was kind of like cutting off your own nose to spite someone else's face. Instead of, "what crazy dimension are they sliding into this time," it was, "what horrible ungodly thing have the Kro-Maggs caused this time." What the hell was SciFi thinking? "Oooo look, millions of people have died because the Kro-Maggs are Genocidal multiverse-Nazis, people will really want to come back to this steaming pile now"? Hardly. And just to add insult to injury, they added the mental image of Wade being held captive at a Kro-Magg breeding camp. Thanks guys, that really helps me sleep at night. At this point I barely watched the show for the most part. Sure, Colin Mallory was an interesting character, but that wasn't enough to make me sit through the rest of the nonsense. The entire season was frustrating and depressing, and I mean DEPRESSING. (Mass genocide tends to do that to things) I think two episodes of the season didn't make me long for the show to go into reruns.

And then enter season five, or as I reffer to it, the flailing death-spasms of a once-great show. Said death started when Jerry O'Connel walked after not being made Executive Producer of the show. Why he wanted it so bad has never been made clear; I like to think it was because he wanted to make sure the show steered clear of Kro-Maggs and anything else vaguely conspiracy-like. Regardless, the loss of Jerry and Charlie O'Connel was what signaled the death of the show, especially when the writers blatantly insulted the intelligence of the audience by asking us to believe that someone who looked NOTHING like Jerry O'Connel could actually be Quinn merged with another version of himself. And the new character for the season, Diana... well I barely remember her. Way to make 'em memorable, guys.

Now I will give the writing staff credit: they did seem to be getting their act together partway through the season. But the quality of the show wasn't anywhere near as good as it used to be. Peter Jurasik was a good villain, so good that sometimes I didn't particularly mind that he was always somehow behind everything that went wrong. But even with the few good episodes in the season and the love-to-hate-him villain it wasn't enough. The show was going down and going down hard. And instead of going out on some kind of high note we get sad music with a pan back, followed by the oddly final line, "what do we do now?"

If you only watch the first two-and-three-quarters seasons of the show it's a solid 9.5, but once you get into the latter seasons it just becomes unenjoyable. I'd like to see it come back, but only if whoever brings it back doesn't get caught up in this "we have to have an overbearing conspiracy every season" nonsense.
  • sliders

when I was little our neighborhood didnt have cable, sliders switched to syfi and I never saw how it ended, did they ever find Wade?
< 1 2 3