Sliders

FOX (ended 2000)

beowulf579

Sliders Fan Reviews (92)

• Stick with Seasons 1, 2 and the first half of Season 3. After that, you're on your own.

Ah, "Sliders." Perhaps one of the best examples of the harm that network interference and "improvements" can do to a show, "Sliders" began as a clever, fun series with a cast who could play the tongue-in-cheek humor and sci-fi adventure that each episode brought them. As the years went on (and the networks changed), the cast broke up and the promise the show displayed at the outset must have been left behind on some other world.

The first two seasons showed "Sliders" firing on all cylinders. The worlds they visited were interesting beyond their one-sentence premise ("Russians rule America," "No Constitution," "Penicillin was never invented") and provided some good stories. And at the center of it all was the cast - Jerry O'Connell as the whiz kid inventor of sliding; Sabrina Lloyd as the best friend/maybe girlfriend who was everyone's little sister; Clevant Derricks providing comic relief, but also some heart and emotion to the group; and John Rhys-Davies, bombastic, arrogant but brilliant, and the mentor/father of the quartet.

Season 3 showed trouble ahead...the episodes started to lack the wit and imagination they had previously shown. Violence and skin were increased; thought and drama were slipping away. Frustrated with what he rightfully saw as the missed opportunities of the series, John Rhys-Davies quit (was fired? it's still unclear...), his character unceremoniously killed off by Roger Daltrey (in a baffling stunt casting moment) and replaced by Kari Wuhrer, an easy-on-the-eyes military chickie who, at times, seemed to have a bigger bra size than IQ. By then, the plots and parallel worlds were little more than thinly veiled take-offs on other sci-fi movies and the series was canceled from Fox.

The Sci-Fi Channel hosted a 2 season revival, but without the Professor, Wade and (eventually) Quinn, the magic was gone. Fox should have been happy with what it had. Instead, it transformed a nice little sci-fi series into a mess. Check out the early shows and enjoy.
  • Great first two seasons!

I really liked this show until it got to season 3. It was adventrous and had a great story line that followed a group of four people as they traveled the world to find their home earth in the first two seasons. Season 3 slowly became a totally different story line as another species engaged in war with everyone, which had little if not nothing to do with the concept of the show. Two of the main characters were no longer in the show and it rapidly became unbearable to watch. That being said, I LOVED the first two seasons! One of the best!
  • My take on the downfall of Sliders, a show with so much promise and potential, ruined by poor casting decisions and personal vendettas!

SEASON 1: Sliders began and opened up the possibility of travel to alternate realities, in a fun, interesting and entertaining way. For example; choosing to play out different scenarios, such as Women ruling the world, or Australia as a super power. These were, to a certain extent realistic alternatives and good to watch.

SEASON 2: The show continues, the issues faced throughout each passing episode become smaller and more and more personal to the characters, but nonetheless they are entertaining and provide more possibilities. The dynamic of the cast is great and it is this season, where they peak together and where I believe the show was at its height.

SEASON 3: John (the professor) is fired halfway through the season, because the exec producer doesn't like him. As far as I am concerned this was the beginning of the end. Not only was he killed off, he had his brain sucked out, he was shot and then left to be blown up on a planet all alone. NICE! The professor added a character irreplaceable by (robot-woman) Maggie, who couldn't even have chemistry with a lab full of equipment. To top off the season, Sabrina (wade) leaves because the team decides Maggie is who they want (why I will NEVER know). Oh and don't forget the hassle Sabrina faced due to her relationship with a crew member. (Kari was a bully).
    Also I must point out the Sabrina's character Wade was subsequently punished by being left in limbo to be raped in some disgusting Cromag breeders camp! They didn't even kill her off just left her hanging! NICE!

SEASON 4: Enters a new era of downhill and sometimes ridiculous storylines. Jerry's brother Colin joins, which adds mild entertainment to the show, but the wounds of the departure of Wade and the professor run deep. The fans just can't forget. The season comes to an end and both brothers leave. Jerry's not getting the salary he deserves and the producers don't want Charlie without Jerry. NICE - talk about a slap in the face for Charlie!

SEASON 5: HA don't get me started shall I even bother?! This is by far the worst season ever. IT should never have been written let alone shot and aired. What were they thinking? The Unstuck man really told us what to expect, A phony Quinn and Colin, awful, AWFUL. There was no show without Jerry period! It was pointless and the show really should have been ended properly at the end of season four. To make things worse this season doesn't even have a real ending. It's a cliffhanger. If you have never seen it then I advise you to never watch season five EVER!
    One thing I will say about this season, it resolves the 'what happened to Wade sort-of mystery'. However, still they couldn't make it a nice ending, they had to have her disfigured, and she was more of a freak experiment than anything else. Just goes to show how much the producers still hated her. If you ask me it was them portraying their bitterness at how the show went downhill and then quite simply died after season three!

So in conclusion, a great show to being with, offering lots of opportunities and possibilities, then bam it gets bitten by a snake and we all know what happens when you get bitten by a venomous snake!
  • If ever there were a show that was an example of how network politics can ruin amazing programming, this is that show.

Sliders has always been a special show for me. I'd always been fascinated by the idea of alternate dimensions. Red Dwarf, Star Trek, even a few oddball kid's shows had all briefly explored the idea of alternate dimensions, and I wanted MORE. When the advertisements started on Fox, I knew I had to watch this show.

Although I missed the first episode due to a transmision tower outage, the first season still stands out in my mind as really good television. It was amazing: science fiction BESIDES Star Trek on a major network in primetime. You had comic relief, drama, and enough pseudo-science to keep you entertained and believing it.

It wasn't until partway through the third season that I felt things started to go downhill, specifically with the departure of John Rhys-Davies. It wasn't the fact that he left that made the show worse, nor was it Kari Wuhrer's performance in subsequent episodes. (Though she was a little shakey in her first few episodes) I could tell that Sliders was beginning to move away from the wacky, care-free "let's see what crazy dimension we slide into this time" mechanic they'd used before that point. "Oh well," I thought, "at least it's because they're pursuing Robert Daltrey. He plays a great villain," which kept me happy until I found out that he only played the part of Colonel Rickman in two episodes. Still, the Rickman subplot didn't ALWAYS overshadow the plot of the episode. Sometimes it was still wacky and care-free, except for when the Sliders remembered they were after not-Roger Daltry.

Season four, I must say, is really where the quality went way way WAY downhill. The re-introduction of the Kro-Maggs was something I had expected would last one or two episodes, not an entire season. From what I understand, this change of focus was due to SciFi's desire for something to compete with X-files' fixation on conspiracies at the time, which was kind of like cutting off your own nose to spite someone else's face. Instead of, "what crazy dimension are they sliding into this time," it was, "what horrible ungodly thing have the Kro-Maggs caused this time." What the hell was SciFi thinking? "Oooo look, millions of people have died because the Kro-Maggs are Genocidal multiverse-Nazis, people will really want to come back to this steaming pile now"? Hardly. And just to add insult to injury, they added the mental image of Wade being held captive at a Kro-Magg breeding camp. Thanks guys, that really helps me sleep at night. At this point I barely watched the show for the most part. Sure, Colin Mallory was an interesting character, but that wasn't enough to make me sit through the rest of the nonsense. The entire season was frustrating and depressing, and I mean DEPRESSING. (Mass genocide tends to do that to things) I think two episodes of the season didn't make me long for the show to go into reruns.

And then enter season five, or as I reffer to it, the flailing death-spasms of a once-great show. Said death started when Jerry O'Connel walked after not being made Executive Producer of the show. Why he wanted it so bad has never been made clear; I like to think it was because he wanted to make sure the show steered clear of Kro-Maggs and anything else vaguely conspiracy-like. Regardless, the loss of Jerry and Charlie O'Connel was what signaled the death of the show, especially when the writers blatantly insulted the intelligence of the audience by asking us to believe that someone who looked NOTHING like Jerry O'Connel could actually be Quinn merged with another version of himself. And the new character for the season, Diana... well I barely remember her. Way to make 'em memorable, guys.

Now I will give the writing staff credit: they did seem to be getting their act together partway through the season. But the quality of the show wasn't anywhere near as good as it used to be. Peter Jurasik was a good villain, so good that sometimes I didn't particularly mind that he was always somehow behind everything that went wrong. But even with the few good episodes in the season and the love-to-hate-him villain it wasn't enough. The show was going down and going down hard. And instead of going out on some kind of high note we get sad music with a pan back, followed by the oddly final line, "what do we do now?"

If you only watch the first two-and-three-quarters seasons of the show it's a solid 9.5, but once you get into the latter seasons it just becomes unenjoyable. I'd like to see it come back, but only if whoever brings it back doesn't get caught up in this "we have to have an overbearing conspiracy every season" nonsense.
  • This show to this day is one of the best tv shows ever made.

It makes me sad that they dont make them this good anymore. This is a must buy on dvd. Its a must have for any scifi fans. Seasons 1 and 2 are the best out of the whole show. Well worth a watch. The creators did something magical with this show which has not been re-created since. Season five is the weakest of the seasons. My main reason is because there was not a proper ending as far as i am concerned. Shame on the scifi channel for canceling such a gem of a show. Heres to Tracy Tormé for creating one of the all time greats.
  • I have a possible solution to 'fix' all that ails the show and also satisfy diehard fans.

This is what we can do to possibly fix 'Sliders'.

How about bringing back the original characters by saying everyone missed a slide at some point while their doubles slid and lived as them until they all met their individual dooms. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy and maybe even far-fetched, but given the nature of the show it IS possible. This could also allow room to say that's why the characters drifted apart. One could say they weren't sliding with their original selves for months and slowly their personality flaws became more prevalent. The producers would have to pick plausible points to say where Quinn, Wade, and Remmy missed slides and their doubles took over. I'm sure just about everyone knows where the professor's double started hitching a ride with the Sliders (the blue Golden Gate Bridge/Jets, not Dolphins world).

How they would script this show and set the plot, well I haven't figured that out yet...BUT the meat of the concept is there. Tell me this wouldn't work!!
  • Fox ruins another show

When this series started it was really great. It reminded me very much of Quantum leap, different situations every week where you know just as much as the charators and learn more and more and then save the day and then your some where else next week. Great. But, ratings arn't what they should be. the show goes away then comes back for a second season. then goes away. The next time it comes back the fall begins. the professor gets a disease or something and dies. well his intellegence was annoying anyway. So, FOX replaces him with a busty young girl to run around half naked. from there, Slowly, the plots become less interesting and more silly. toward the end we have 2 brothers, the pop singer, and the two busty women wearing very little, chasing the villain who is sucking the life out of people with a needle. far from the adventurous loose primeses totally open for creativity the series started with. oh well ..... this could have been a great show.
  • We want more

They should make more episodes and resolve the episode on how they took the wrong Arturo. Make more lots more.
  • Bring Sliders Back

Like many other reviews out there. Just finished watching all 87 Episodes the last 3 weeks.

They need to finish the show and bring back the original cast with at least 2 more seasons.

BRING SLIDERS BACK! It would be awesome. Jerry O'connell and the rest of the cast needs to do this . It would be just right on.
  • I love this show! One of the best shows to this day! Their were a few charter changes during the last few seasons but I but I got over it, still I'm happy the show stuck around and that the Scifi Channel picked it up! I sill love the first four!!!

I love this show! One of the best shows to this day! Their were a few charter changes during the last few seasons but I but I got over it, still I'm happy the show stuck around and that the Scifi Channel picked it up! I sill love the first four!!! I own the first and second on DVD and plan on buying the rest! The first time I saw this show was when it aired and I feel in love with it, In my free time I would think of new plots and act out story lines when I was young! This show could of thought of so many fresh and new ideas for it to continue…
  • If you want to know my views on Sliders, plz click.

I absoloutely love Sliders, it's in my top sci-fis {alongside Strange Days at Blake Holsey High}. I absolouteley hate Maggie. I think the show can't survive without Wade , Arturo and the original Quinn Mallory. I don't particully like having new sliders on the 'Slidibng Team'. I want the original season 1/2 timer back. Here's just a thoughtt though {actually more of a wish}. I wonder what would have happened if Arturo didn't die, Wade didn't go home,Maggie never appeared, Quinn wasn't replaced in Season five and his brother never came to the series? I just want the original Sliders back :( !!!
  • The first two seasons of Sliders was exceptional. Three and four pretty good, but what was five all about?

I was instantly hooked on Sliders from the very first time that I saw it. That was season 1. I went out of my way to try and watch all of the ones that I missed. I was successful. I have seen every episode of seasons 1 thru 3, and absolutely love it. I guess that I'm a little different that your average Sliders fan. Yeah, I loved Wade and Arturo. But when Maggie entered it brought a whole new need quality to the show. Wade was great, but like all the others she was all goody goody. I was sad when she was lost, but Maggie added something that was missing. The show really needed a more evil element. Her opinions always differed from the others, and that was essential to keep the show going. Good vs good was getting old after one season. I applaude the addition of Maggie. But what was season 5 all about? I saw like two episodes, and could bare it no more. It was not Sliders anymore. Quinn Malory without Jerry OConnel? Whatever! I have no desire to watch any of that season. It was a terrible end to a terific show.
  • just finished season 1

I remember loving this show when I was younger and it original aired. I have seen a few shows on sci-fiction channel, but I recently sat down and watched the entire first season. I now know why I liked it. Interesting plot situations, I like the cast, and well I guess that is it. I really enjoyed the first two episodes (Pilot) and the last episode in season one (Lottery). I do not remember the show getting worse as the seasons went on nor the actor changes (like I have been reading in other reviews) but I guess I will figure it out as I watch the rest of the seasons. Anyways, the idea of the show is awesome I also loved quantum leap.
  • Season 1 and Season 2- Outstanding Season 3 -It was O.K.farewell prof. Season 4- Fair... what happened to Wade?! Season 5-wtf??

The first two seasons were fabulous. There were so many interesting storylines. And the original 4 cast members were the best. After the prof died in season 3(I heard it was largely due to not getting along with the exec producer... and...by the way a really dumb death if you ask me) I was a little disappointed. Then after waiting so long to see the cliffhanger from the end of season 3 (when remmy and wade go back alone thru one vortex and then quin and maggie follow after, but end up in future world.I was so hoping to see what future world would look like at the beginning of season 4. They didnt even touch on this!What a huge disappointment!!!And then wade wasn't even in the show anymore.an even huge-er disappointment!!!!i miss her the most. also what an insult to the viewers by such crappy writing to wrap up season 3 ending and intro to season 4. then the whole thing about quin being from a parallel world and being adopted. what the heck was up with that?! the whole cromagg continuing story?!! how boring!
    there were just too many episodes revolving around this.
    what happened to tracy torme and robert weiss.i heard they left cuz they couldnt stand their superiors.they got new staff to write and executive produce this show halfway thru season 3. i hate pig headed studio execs who think their new way for the show to go will make it better. WRONG! it only lasted for one more season. i only watched a couple of the first episodes of season 5. i couldnt take it anymore!!!WTF?! quin and colin were gone and then they molded quin into a new character?!!! the stupid studio execs shoulda realized that it was over for this series! why didnt they resolve it at the end of the season and end the series on a good note instead of a never to be resolved cliffhanger?! i cant believe i watched this show for 5 years and then seeing that episode as a series finale!!! this series had such great potential and the stubborn dumbasse powers that be, just couldnt figure it out! this was worse than the seinfeld series finale! very-very poor!
  • Started as a great science fiction series

The first two seasons was terrific. Season three started strange and ended on a weird note. ***Spoiler Alert*** When they had Arturo killed off, the show went downhill and I lost interest in it. I stopped watching it after the third season. I was disappointed that the series went from great science fiction to politically correct sub-themes and poor writing.

The chemistry of the original four characters would be difficult to recreate. In my opinion, the writers failed by introducing Maggie Beckett as a main character to replace Professor Arturo. Her personality is abrasive and I tire of the sexual innuendoes between her and Quinn Mallory. My philosophy is: If it isn't broken, then don't fix it.
  • The first two seasons were ace, then it all hit the fan

7.6
    I really liked the first two seasons of this show, the concept was simple but it had the scope for a good 4 or 5 seasons from the outset - as long as the writing staff didnt get lazy. A bit of a different take on the outstanding Quantum Leap, this show had credibility, a good core cast and some decent stories. As Season 3 began it went horribly, horribly wrong. The Kromags were introduced in the season 2 cliffhanger, I had no problem with them except the idea of the became a big focus of the show rather than seperate episodes about different dimensions. This was an obvious attempt to improve ratings, the same happened in Enterprise with the Xindi story although in that case I think it worked much better. The next pitfall was when Professor Arturo left and the dynamic of the cast was lost - his replacement just didnt have the necessary flair for the role. Following that we lost Wade, another integral cast member, then to top it off in Season 5's opening episode Quinn and his brother were merged into a whole new character (and actor) called Malorie!!! HAHAHAHA RIDICULOUS! I stopped watching the show as soon as that happened, and im not at all suprised that it was cancelled that year.
  • Jerry O'connell- Please bring sliders back.

I would love for someone who has the know how to start a movement to bring sliders back. This is the best tv show I have watched. I have been looking for a place,and this seems to be it, that has alot of people to help.

Sliders deserves the original cast back,and make it where Jerry"quin mallory" had a nightmare about losing all of them.

Jerry O'connell can do on sliders!!

ps leave the kromags off.

• Ressurect Sliders

The landscape of Sci-Fi allows for any possibilities and what is theoretically possible allows for many.

I'd like to see a relaunch of a New Sliders...

Pick up where they left off. Have Remmy return with the timer he and Wade had when they were captured. The Kromags driven off his home Earth with the anticromag virus he injected into himself before he leaped through the last vortex.

He searches and finds Maggie and Diana and the alternate Mallory. Together they slide again. They slide into an Earth that is very distant from their home Earth and find an Earth 10,000 year more technically advanced with biologically advanced and enhenced humans. A physicist from this world joins the team and improves and upgrades their timer. Together they find Colin, retrieve Quinn, rescue and restore Wade and finally messes a bit with Maggies home world time-line in order to retrieve and restore the Professor before he dies.

A new Sliders could continue by having them finally reaching their home, Maggie electing to go to Remmy's Earth and perhaps a few of the team old members elect to continue. The continuence could be the new member returns home and assembles a team of interdimensional explorers that embark on an endless journey through the endless multiverse....
  • What a great show sliders was an amazing adventure that starts on our world or some parralel world close to our own. Quin Wade The professor and rembrand experience different worlds with endles possibilities. It is stil my favourite sci fi show eve

Quin Wade The professor and rembrand experience different worlds with endles possibilities. It is stil my favourite sci fi show ever made. It is still a shame they cancelled the show prematurely. because it had great promise it also had some interesting developments of what could have happened on our world if the soviets took over america.
    Or if there was no pennicilline. And of course all explored by a great cast of unforgetable chararacters. sliders please come back to the screen
  • seasons one and two - classic

it may seem fairly low budget in comparison to other sci-fi shows at the time, but what sliders lacked in budget more than made up for in great stories and characters.

instead of focusing on the sc-fi aspect of the show, creators tracy torme and robert k. weiss concentrated on the alternate history aspect of each world, such as a world where the a-bomb wasn't invented, or where penicillin hadn't been discovered.

the four main characters, quinn mallory (jerry o'connell), wade welles (sabrina lloyd), rembrandt brown (cleavant derricks) and professor arturo (john rhys-davis) all had fantastic personas and brought so much to the series, finding themselves in crazy situations and hypothesizing how different a new dimension is to their own.

the potential for dozens of great story ideas was fantastic, and just about every episode in the 10 episodes of season 1 and 13 episodes of season 2 were classics.

fox didn't realise the potential of the series and continually undermined torme and weiss, leading to their departure early in season 3.

The series then continued to be driven into the ground by new executive producer david peckinpah, who sacked john rhys-davis after several in-fights between the cast and crew. he knew the series was going under and jumped ship in time, as did sabrina lloyd at the end of the season.

season three did have some good episodes. 'double cross' and 'the guardian' are perhaps the last echoes of the torme and weiss magic that made the first two seasons great. other notable mentions include the funny 'dead man sliding', the sentimental 'the prince of slides' and the festive 'season's greedings' (the last good sliders episode tm).

season four fared a little better, with a greater season-long story focus and less movie rip-offs and monster-of-the-week episodes, however the premise was centered around a villain, the kromaggs, who were used a bit too much. also, with arturo and wade gone, the character dynamic that worked so well in the first two seasons just didn't work with their replacements, maggie and colin.

season five was where things went terribly wrong. the storyline set out in season four was never resolved, and a new arc was established in the opening episode of this season, leaving the writers with so much backstory to catch up with. they never actually manage to do any of it. jerry o'connel quit, as did his on and off screen brother charlie (who played colin). we were introduced to the bland diana davies and the irritating mallory. the new storyline was just too silly and the writers dug themselves an almighty big hole that lost the series forever. so by the end, only cleavant derricks remained from the original four, and the final episode of the season ended on a cliffhanger that will never be resolved.

seasons one and two are out now on dvd, and i recommend you purchase them now!

season three is also out, and i'd say it's worth buying to catch the last few good episodes, and to let you see how bad the show gets in the last few episodes of the season! you may be interested in season four, but it leans more on the sci-fi aspect of the show than the alternate histories side.
  • A fantastic idea, with an initially strong cast. It went downhill during season 3, but it got better for the last two as the writing was no longer unbearable.

(Possible spoilers in the following, I'll try not to let to much out for those who haven't seen it, but keep in mind the show ended over 7 years ago).

I had only seen about 20-25 minutes of the pilot episode one late night on Sci-Fi when I was like 14 maybe. Other than that I knew very little about the show, but I got all of the seasons and started watching.

It started out as being a very interesting idea. With a concept of each new show partaking in an entirely different world, it really kept me excited to see what the next episode was going to be about, and what kind of world they were going to be in. Quinn Malory (Jerry O'Connell) was a very interesting character to introduce the show and I liked him a lot. The rest of the cast was strong as well. Wade Wells seemed like pretty standard fair for the cute tag-along girl, but I liked her. I hated Rembrandt at first because they tried to make him the zany black guy who would always make some goofy comment on the situation, but he got better. The best of the show was of course, Maximilian Arturo (John Rhys-Davies, also played Sallah in Indiana Jones, and Gimli in The Lord of the Rings, in other words he's awesome), and he really made the show for me, and kept me watching. It was off to a good start.

The first two seasons were, and no one would disagree with this, the best of the series. The writing was fresh, the budget was decent for a Sci-Fi series (at the time), and the characters got better as they were more developed. Their predicaments while sometimes rehashed, were still interesting and relatively plausible. I would watch several episodes a day because I wanted to see what was going to happen.

Then the third season started. Now, most people would say that this was the beginning of the end, and that it got worse as the show went on, and I know what they're talking about. However, that really isn't true, this was the worst season of the entire series, and let me tell you why. Every single episode for that entire season, had some of the worst writing I have ever seen. There wasn't one original, creative, or interesting thought put into any episode. All they ever did was rehash some kind of science fiction movie or story, make a "world" out of it, and then throw in some detective story where the 4 of them had to figure out a way to help the damsel in distress for that particular episode (note, every time they slid into a world, it just happened to be about 20 feet away from some girl being mugged). This is what John Rhys-Davies had to say about the show at this point.

[quote=John Rhys-Davies (Maximillian Arturo)]
    "I like SF. I love intelligent SF. We had the most wonderful series concept with Sliders, but we did everything that had been done before and we did it every damned episode. We did Species. We did Tremors. We did Twister. We did War of the Worlds. We did The Island of Dr. Moreau. It was out of control, just out of control. In the end, Sliders wasn't the worst experience I ever had. I was just disappointed. Again, I love SF. I'm a passionate believer in Sliders. The series could have been great. The public always understood that of Sliders. The public understood that you could go anywhere in the galaxy. The writers, though, would try to graft a Law and Order story, or something they had done or seen before, onto Sliders and just make the characters work around it."[/quote]

And he was right. Even though many people thought he had left the show because he didn't like it anymore, that isn't true. He was actually fired. On top of the fact that he was openly mocking the writers for their lack of creativity, there was a new high-up at Fox during the third season of the show. Apparently John Rhys-Davies was at a party for the opening of Sliders where John had gotten a little drunk, and made some rude remarks to a particular executive at Fox. That same person became in charge of some of the scheduling and large decisions about certain shows a couple years later. Big spoiler ahead [spoiler] The combination of these facts led to John being killed in the show, and let go from his contract in the middle of season 3. [/spoiler] Now like I said, most people thought it only got worse. Season 4 started and two of the main characters were now gone, Wade and Professor Arturo. The show was also now being produced on Sci-Fi instead of Fox. They replaced one of the characters with a new hot girl, Maggie Beckett. She was alright, but I hated her at first because it was like we weren't supposed to like her she was so cruel to everyone. She ended up being ok though after Wade left the show (who by the way, left because she couldn't work with Kari Wuhrer). So now there are three sliders for the time being. But guess what, the show wasn't that bad anymore. The budget was cut, and only half the original cast remained, but they weren't in **** remakes of old sci-fi movies anymore. The writing got better for the most part (though not always), and the worlds they visited often became very interesting. They also ended up throwing in a new character eventually, Quinn Malory's brother from another world (the actor was actually Quinn's (Jerry O'Connell's) brother in real life as well). He wasn't the best actor, but I enjoyed his character for some reason. I guess he reminded me of Jerry and I like him a lot.

Now here's why so many people believed the show only got worse and worse after season 3, it was because they were so attached to the original cast. Now, I was too, and they definitely were the best and most compelling. But the characters weren't really what "made" Sliders. It was the idea that they could visit any world and be in any situation. It was a show with limitless possibilities and incredibly interesting situations. That's why it was good, and that's why the third season was so awful. They had an infinite number of possible worlds and story lines, and they just stole ideas from old movies instead.

Anyway, season 5 came along, and the only remaining member was Rembrandt. As I said before, I hated him at first, but he got much better as time went on. The more serious he got, the more likeable he became, and he ended up being the strongest remaining member of the cast. The first episode of this season was absolutely brutal to watch I must admit, it was the worst episode of the series, where they through together some queer story about Quinn and his brother Colin being either "unstuck", or trapped in another person. The replacement cast was the weakest, but again, it isn't really the cast that made the show, it was the ideas that were brought up and it was still better than season 3.

The show ended on a cliffhanger, which was really lame. They hadn't decided whether they were going to renew the show for another season or not (although they were fairly certain they weren't) and at the last minute they threw in a cliffhanger just in case. Of course the word came down that it would not be renewed and that was that.

Cliffs:
    -Sliders was a sweet show with a good cast at first
    -The writing became god awful in season 3
    -Sci-Fi picked up the show for season 4, and although the original cast was cut in half at this point, and the budget went down, the show got better
    -Season 5 was pretty rough but still better than 3, with an almost entirely new cast
    -This was a long review, but it was after watching the show for about 3 months straight
    -I was ecstatic when I found this site, as it explained a lot of the behind the scenes info on the show, which is what I was really interested in when they started letting characters go and all the rocky situations with the development of the show was evident. [url=http://www.dimensionofcontinuity.com/index.htm]Sliders - The Dimension of Continuity[/url]

Check it out if you're interested.
  • Back to the nineties..

For me, this is a show that really brings me back to my early teen years. When the show first aired I was ten years old. It so reminds me of the nineties, such a wonderfull time.

Momentarily I own seasons one, two and three on dvd. I really enjoy watching this show on a rainy or wintery Sunday afternoon, with a blanket, a hot cup of milk and the fire place on.

A couple of years ago they used to air this show on Sunday afternoons in Belgium, along with Lois and Clark: the new adventures of Superman. Man, that was a big trip back to the nineties!

I's always nice to watch shows from your childhood, because you always romanticize them and often remember them to be better than they actually were. Sometimes it might be better to just keep the memories and don't watch the show again :). But in case of Sliders, I would defenitely recommend watching it again ;).
  • It was good until Jerry OConnell left the show.

When he left the whole thing started to decay and ended with a thud. Interesting stories for the most part playing out "what if" scenarios while exploring the theory of alternate parallel universes.

I always wondered why they never exited the wormhole into an Earth that had just been devastated by a huge asteroid and was now a glowing lifeless ball of molten rock or an Earth that was an airless, waterless rock full of toxic gasses where life never took hold. Ok, so they would have died the instant the arrived, but hey, it would have been a much better way of ending the series besides the pretty bad episode The Seer. A better ending would have been an arrival in San Francisco with sirens wailing as 3 Russian ICBM warheads approached the city, an electromagnetic pulse from the first detonation wiping out the Sliding Control Device and a blast wave turning the Sliders into smoking skeletons like in Sarah Conners visions in Terminator 2 - a flying HK helicopter passes over the ruins of San Francisco then a skeleton Terminator comes into view, turns and stares into the camera - fade to black. That would have been awesome!

After Jerry left I wasnt all that upset when it was cancelled. It would have been like William Shatner leaving Star Trek after Season 2.
  • This show could have been the greatest sci-fi show ever, till ruined by the network and their producers.

Mind you, I'm not the type of person to make statements like "best sci-fi show ever" lightly. But it's a shame to think about what could have been.

The premise - traveling to alternate versions of Earth - was fantastic. Rather than just space and time travel, which had been done to death, this series went for something fresh and exciting. (Yes, the concept of parallel universes had been around in sci-fi for a long time prior to this, but never in a weekly TV series format.)

The characters were great - Quinn Mallory, the geek who doesn't know he's a stud; Wade Wells, his wallflower friend with a crush on him, who doesn't realize she's a babe; Maximillian Arturo, the pompous professor who doesn't realize he's all that; and Rembrandt Brown, the show-business icon who doesn't realize he's washed up. And the cast played them perfectly.

Season 1 was phenomenal, integrating humor and good characterization with exciting action, reasonable science, and a genuine interest in its own premise. (Only Sci-Fi Channel ever shows the episodes in their proper order, though. Fox totally botched the running order, and the DVDs actually repeat this mistake!)

The ratings were bad, though, because the "Melrose Place" lead-in audience wasn't smart enough to get this show. So the network demanded that the writers remove all humor from the show--one of its best elements. So Season 2, while it had some shining moments, was often pompous and silly.

The ratings dropped further. So the network insisted that the writers plagarize popular movies for their storylines. And the characters started acting wildly inconsistently.

The ratings dropped further. So the producers killed off the Professor--the most intelligent and most popular character--and replaced him with a dumb bimbo.

The ratings dropped further, and Fox cancelled the show after having systematically killed it.

Over on the Sci-Fi Channel, things didn't get much better. Gone were the movie ripoffs, but Quinn was saddled with some bizarre new "Superman" storyline and a brother who couldn't act. The show began to play like a bad Saturday-morning cartoon.

Wade got killed off, then eventually Quinn and his brother too.

So in Season 5, we have Rembrandt and a bunch of characters we don't even know trying to accomplish who-knows-what (since Remmy's home had been destroyed, and the other three left home by choice). The show was a sad, pathetic parody of what it had been by the time it went off the air. Killing it was an act of mercy.

Maybe someday Tracy Torme (the show's creator) can get a hold of this and restore the show to the classic it was always meant to be in the first place.

• Bring back SLIDERS !

I was a fan since day one when it first aired on FOX. This show is a classic and deserves a final ending for the fans and maybe a new beginning. Find emails for all the stars and lets get to work.

• multi-dimensional travel.

Slider is definitely a classic science fiction show. Combining (and succeeding i might add) elements of science fiction and action/adventure, Sliders makes for a great viewing. The episodes are very informative. I started watching this show when it was first shown here in Australia and as a natural science fiction fan found this show right in my ball court. Jerry O'Connell, the main star, is a very talented actor. Excellent co-stars makes this show extremely fantastic. The shows can be viewed man times with out the action becoming predictable. Many classic theories are played in the multi-verse which is great for alternate history fans like myself.
  • I used to watch this series when I was a little boy. I still haven't found anything like this again.

I remember watching the pilot when I was about 12 years old. The thought of a world where a little thing (or in that case a big thing like the loss or the Korean war) could change the whole world's history was absolutely stunning. Fabulous I'd say. The very though of paralell worlds going on along with ours is just amazing.
    It's true that the series lost a little of it's bright when the Professor died and when Wade was gone. At first, I didn't like Maggie. Then, you learn to like her.
    The series lost it's focus too when decided to show the war against the Kromaggs instead of alternate worlds but even now, I can't seem to find a show as fascinating as Sliders.
  • excellent series

there's a petition to revive the show
  • More Sliders!?

I love this show! I read on IMDB that there are going to be three more episodes of sliders to be released or available in may 2013 first to take place may 4 episode named "time 98" then subsequently may 11 episode named "warzone: pt. 1" and may 23 episode named "warzone:pt. 2". Could this be true?
  • Sliders, Gone but not forgotten...

My husband and I just finished watching the entire series on Netflix, at least 85 episodes anyway. At least one episode is missing, the one where Prof. Arturo wins the presidential election in a world dominated by women. I was wondering if anybody knows what happened to that episode.

I totally agree, this show could be brought back at anytime by people with the right "know-how," but if Jerry O'Connell, doesn't want to be a part of it anymore, I don't know if it could make it without him. The original cast made the show and when they started messing with that the show went down hill, but I do have to say, they left us wanting more by the end of season 5.

Our "Return of Sliders" idea is that Diana builds a new timer with the Kromag technology found on the last world they landed on. Using this new timer they lock in on the coordinates that Remmy slid to and find out what happened to Rembrandt. Once the 4 are all together again they resume their sliding adventures. On a later episode they would slide onto a world with far more advanced technology where they would be able to separate the 2 Quinns and the "new" Quinn would either die during the experiment or decide he doesn't want to slide anymore. Then it would be Quinn (Jerry O'Connell), Remmy, Maggie and Diana. We also discussed the possibility that the Wade in the brain experiment episode would be an alternate Wade and they could slide onto a Kromag breeding camp world and discover that Wade is still alive and rescue her. Then later Diana could decide that she is done with sliding since they were finally able to separate Quinn and Mallory. Quinn himself could figure out a solution to Collin's predicament, but all of this would hinge on whether or not the actors and actresses would be willing to make a come back.

Other episode ideas are "Going Native" where Columbus never discovered America and the world still believes the planet is flat, or where Native Americans would be the ruling power and everything in society would be based off of their beliefs. Or how about if the Japanese had taken over America after bombing Pearl Harbor. A history buff could have a field day with this show pinpointing turning points our history and switching how things turned out. They did an episode where male humans were very rare, how about an episode where female humans were very rare, what would that be like?
< 1 2 3 4