Sliders

The King Is Back

Aired Unknown May 10, 1995 on FOX

• The Sliders land on a world where Rembrandt's double has achieved fame paroding that of Elvis. Remmy's double is apparently dead so Remmy considers taking his double's place, but the real Rembrandt shows up and takes back his spotlight.

This has got to be one of the best episodes of season One. For starters, its nice to give Rembrandt something to do other than whine about the mess that Quinn has gotten him into. Its a well constructed idea, simplistic in its Elvis-emulating paradigm. The budget constrictions of the show were also for once not obvious around every corner. The exception being that for a comeback concert one would expect a much larger venue. Its also one of the best executions of a character meeting their double. This is of course aided by the fact that Rembrandt isn't doubled by using cheap editing techniques but rather by using the actor's ACTUAL twin brother. Other examples of character's meeting themselves are never as dynamic due to the limitations of what shots they could achieve realistically.

The strong points of this story are plentiful. It is a suspenseful, engaging story where the main opposition isn't some gigantic social wrong or life threatening event, which is a welcome change. The characters are able to relax a bit and develop on their own. This gives the characters a chance to be entertaining and funny without attacking the actions or values of each other. Something that can get annoying after seven straight episodes. One of my favorite scenes is where Arturo goes to save Remmy from the crowd of fans, only to be drawn into it himself. He is stripped and passed over the crowd like a teenager. He then proceeds to berate Captain Jack for mistaking him for Pavarotti. "I am not Mister Pavarotti. Mister Pavarotti is an Italian. He speaka lika diss. Do I speaka lika this? No. Why? Because I am an Englishman, you blistering idiot!

Overall, this is a nice breather episode which develops the characters and keeps us constantly entertained while still managing to present an interesting story.