Sliders

The Seer

Aired Unknown Feb 04, 2000 on FOX

7.3
  • Its The End Of The World As We Know It...

The Sliders end up on a world where everyone knows they are Sliders, and views them as one part celebrity, and one part clergics in a New Age, Jedi, Trekkie church.

A seer has been watching the Sliders - since the begining - and he has managed to convince the residents of his planet that the Sliders are real, and should be the basis of a some sort of global religion/philosophy.

This is a weird premise, even for Sliders, and its numerous plot holes are glosed over. The concept exists mainly so that series can mock fans, while also asking then to bring back the series.

Yeah, when the Sliders hang out with followers of "Slideology", the audience is treated to an extended, not-to-subtle, "sci fi fans are annoying and weird".

Basically, these young followers are standins for fans of the . series, or more accurately they are standins for someone's . TV director, producer or writers) frustration with the fans.

This frustration may be born from actual experiences at 1990s chatrooms and conventions, but the jab at the fans comes off meaner then it needed to be.

When the episode isn't relying on fan standins, it is begging the very same fans, which this episodes seems to be flipping off, for salvation.

Yes, Rembrandt has to decide whether or not he wants to risk going back to his earth (to liberate his world from Kromaggs).

However, you know that Rembrandt will risk everything to Slide home.

You know that the Seer will die at a inconvenient moment .

The episode never makes you interested in the alternative world, and it never offers up an interesting conflict.

It does seems really interested in saying to the fans of the series, "I'm tired of your complaints and questions. You are all losers. Now, please save the

The best scenes of the very average episode involve Rembrandt.

The "Crying Man" had been sliding since 1994, and by 2000 you can see that the emotional and physical pain has taken its toll.

Unfortunately, we never know if Rembrandt made it home or not. His fate and the fate of the other Sliders remains a mystery.
  • What sort of ridiculous finish is this?

OK , we have just invested many hours and years following his show. We have put up will some silly plots in the first three seasons but overall the true spirit of the show was maintained. Then we started losing the characters we loved. First the Professor. He made the show interesting, kept the science and skeptic in balance. Diana was not even close. The writers became too technical and you can tell she had no idea what she was talking about. They tried to make the show scientific only to make it sound ridiculous.

Then we lost Wade. Well in my opinion she was wrongly casted to start with. No personality at all and we never felt close to the character. Replaced with Maggie who brought the spark back into the show. Although initially I didn't like the Rambo style character who always wore short skirts. It was obvious the studios wanted more Zing. They over compensated in the first few episodes only to tone it down later. Still her acting fell short and we as an audience never truly connected with her.

Colin was well.... a mistake. Goes to show talent is not always hereditary. Too much of the stupid look all the time.

What held the show together was Quinn. Why in the world lose him. Whatever the reason , it heralded the end of the show. Everything after that was a joke, the scripts got worse as can be seen from the rating on this website of each episode and basically everyone lost the plot. I guess you know what I am saying if you are fan. The show became a cops and robbers thing and lost its true identity of science fiction.
    The "new" Mallory ....well a joke... overacting, too smart arse too fake with that walk and look... not worth my time typing about.. big mistake...bad casting... did he know one of the produces? how else could he have been cast into the show... and well where is he now? nowhere to be seen on TV or movie...

In the end what can I say. Too many loose ends left untied, very disappointing for all fans. We all felt in the end.... please get the gun out and put everyone out of their misery.
    Interesting the only one I know of the main actors still doing big movies is Quinn. Surprise surprise.

Well in summary what can I say... words are not enough... please someone tell me that I am not alone feeling this way...
  • Series Finale of Sliders

Most of the above recap is correct - although when I tried to add to it - my claim was rejected. Just watch it - even though is a disappointing ending to what had been a fantastic series (until the final season anyway).
    I continued to watch season 5 anyway - hoping that the real Quinn would come back somehow and get rid of the 'new' Mallory but alas this did not happen (did anyone else wonder why Quinn's double on the world in season 5, ep 01 - looked nothing like him - but in ALL of the other worlds they were exactly the same? - they didn't even offer an explanation to that one did they?) . The ending would have been alright for a season finale - but not as a series finale – what's the point of a so called "cliff hanger" then? All in all - just pretend that the show finished at season 4 and disregard season 5 - its rubbish with bad acting, storylines. The so called finale leaves us with none of the questions or plots that had been with us from the start or throughout the series answered - leaving fans with a lot of loose ends. Sloppy writing.
  • The final episode of Sliders with a obvious plea for a fan-backed revival. Fans of the series will probably enjoy it more, with some tears, then some people.

Sliders was a cool science fiction television series that was able to combine an ensamble cast, cool specical effects, action and very good story writing -- that creativily dealt with social commentary and issues.

The first nail in the Slider's coffin was the drastic Season 3 change in cast members. The Professor was fired or quit -- depending on which version of the office politics one choses to believe -- and the tone of the series shifted away from social commentary and exploration of alternative realities.

Fans hopes that the Professor would be brought back were never realized. Then Wade was removed, again for reasons that are in some dispute, and then Quinn and his twin brother left. By the final season only one original cast member was still around. But the show could have kept going for a few more seasons. Fans still watched, and the writing had signifantly improved. Yet, the Sci-Fi chanel did not believe in the show and thus it died.