Slings and Arrows Forums

The Movie Network (ended 2006)

canadian shows

emma5000

[1]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 33
    i've only just seen two canadian show (or shows with a big canadian
    influence) to be honest and that's "slings & arrows" and "due
    south". both of them are absolutely brillant.

what impresses me very much about them (especially about slings &
    arrows) is the socially liberal approach to certain subjects that seems to be
    almost european to me.

i don't intend any insult to us-shows by stating this (i love some of
    them as well) but i couldn't imagine for instance the same unprejudiced
    approach to drugs (like geoffrey even helping charles fixing up or the
    heroes smoking pot) or subjects like not being able to have sex in an
    american show (well, of course i've seen some of it but it seems to be
    very rare considering the huge amount of us-series). i couldn't imagine
    things like sarkasm referring to the balkans either or sympathy for a
    seemingly left-winged southern american music group ... and so many things more.

well, maybe i'm generalizing too much or not being fair. maybe i'm just
    influenced by the (hard to bear) conservatism of shows like "7th
    heaven" (to be honest, i makes me feel like wanting to throw up at
    times) and maybe "slings & arrows" and "due south" are even
    exceptionell for canadian circumstances but i couldn't tell. so
    somebody might help me with this ... and maybe recommend me more shows
    to get (i'm planning to buy h2o right now.)
    Edited on 09/28/2006 6:56am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

taegdv

[2]Sep 29, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think there is a difference between Canadian and American shows. The Canadian (+ influenced) shows I like or love:
    Due South
    Slings & Arrows
    Seeing Things
    Trailer Park Boys
    Da Vinci's Inquest
    Cold Squad
    F/X: The Series
    An American in Canada
    Kids In the Hall
    The Red Green Show
    Blue Murder

Trailer Park Boys is the most obvious. Profanity, frequent mentions of drugs, and a sympathetic portrayal of a group of 'boys' who regularly commit crimes. But it's funny It aired with the swear words bleeped out on American TV, but not for too long.

Cold Squad (spoilers):
    One storyline had a cold squad investigator find out that a guy accidently pushed his love over a cliff, and he put her out of her misery when she asked him to. Then he buried her. The investigator was sympathetic, and so disillusioned with his job that he quit and went back to being a cop. Meanwhile Ali was working a case of a guy who committed suicide in jail, because he was framed for a murder an Israeli committed. Ali couldn't get justice served (her government wanted to push the case under the rug) so she quit her job. I don't really see an investigator in an American show being that sympathetic for either case. Supposedly there was an ep where Ali got an abortion with no fuss at all, but I haven't seen all the episodes.

Da Vinci's Inquest (spoilers):
    In one episode, Dominic (the coroner) says he doesn't want to hold an inquest over a euthanasia case, because it's expensive and he'd rather spend the money on someone who didn't want to die. In another episode, he arranges a deal between a bereaved father and the killer (in jail), for the father to pay the killer for information about buried bodies. All the other Canadian and American cops were adamantly opposed to such a deal. In general, the investigators on DVI are more respectful - even towards criminals - than their counterparts on American shows. After a drug-crazed woman beat up Dom, he apologized to her for knocking her out.

In Seeing Things, there were a couple episodes where Louis had to investigate killers who killed homeless people. Have I not watched enough Law & Order or CSI, or do they just not have any (or many) cases on deaths of homeless people?

I didn't really watch Degrassi (either High or Junior High), but Junior High has aired in the US, and I think there were some episodes lately that didn't air there, probably because they featured abortion.

taegdv

[3]Sep 29, 2006
    • level: 1
    I think I meant to say Degrassi The Next Generation, not really Junior High. I usually avoid serious teen shows, no matter what country they come from.

If you want some more recommendations, none of these shows are quite my style, but they do have their fans: Corner Gas, Twitch City, ReGenesis, and Charlie Jade.

emma5000

[4]Sep 29, 2006
    thanks! 

yterekh

[5]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 10
    Da Vinci's is indeed a brilliant show. I'd also add This is Wonderland to that list, although after it was cancelled you might only be able to find the DVD of the 1st season.

quote12

[6]Jun 12, 2007
    • level: 6
    You might also enjoy "Made in Canada," a satire of a chintzy media production company that sometimes airs in the US under the title "the Industry," and "Newsroom" in its various forms. One series ran 1996-97, then there was a special a few years later, then a longer batch if episodes, plus some brief riffs on some of the same characters.

emma5000

[7]Jun 13, 2007
    thanks!