Small Wonder

The Grandparents

Aired Unknown May 17, 1986 on

• The most emotional episode!!

Star Plus had aired this show in India from 1994 to 1998. I was an avid viewer of every episode of this cute serial. However if we go more deep, it is episodes like this one which gave a special lesosn or two amidst comedy. First and foremost I like the family orientation of this show which I feel is so important for children of today to realize. In this increasingly polarized world, episodes such as this one show quite effectively the crucial place of a family. Here we see Grandpa and Grandma Lawson paying the Lawson family a visit. They are pleasantly surprised to find out that Ted has adopted a daughter. In the course of the episode Grandpa becomes more and more suspicious that Vicky was not a human. When he eventually finds out he is shocked. All his bitter memories came flooding back to him when in his heydeys he was fired from a factory because and mechanization and robots. He takes out all his ire on her. He then calls Ted and decides to leave his son. He is shocked and hurt but what everyone does not realize is that so is Vicky. A mechanized computerized person is supposed to have no feelings but tears fell from her eyes. Meanwhile his grandpa is too upset and hurt. He has a heart attack and no one is around. Vicky rushes to give him electrical heating. Her crucial intervention saves him and in the end he eventually realizes that all robots are not devils. He and Vicky make up and again when he leaves she cries. We get evidence of Artificial Intelligence which will play a crucial role in future Science and Technology. More importantly we must note that need for family affection can move even machines. Let the children all over the world realize the importance of their family and how lucky they are to get such love!!