Smallville

Beacon

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Feb 11, 2011 on The CW

• A bit overwrought, but a nice conclusion to the VRA arc

With less than 10 episodes left for this decade-long series about the development of Superman from reluctant high school hero to worldwide beacon of hope, the writers are certainly laying all the necessary groundwork to bring things to a rousing conclusion.

When they created the alternate universe and brought over that version of Lionel Luthor, I was a bit wary. It seemed like a way to cheat the death of the character, which was one of the few highlights of the seventh season. But this episode made it clear that it's all designed to restore the Luthors as Clark's true nemesis. It's all feeding into one of the most anticipated series-ending arcs in quite some time.

If this turn of events is unfortunate for anyone, it's Tess Mercer. Connecting her to the Luthor legacy was a nice touch, but I've never had the sense that the writers knew what to do with her. She was never a villain per se, so as a replacement for Lex, it didn't work. But as someone to mind the store until the Luthors return to menace the world, I suppose she served a purpose. Sadly, I think it will mean that her ultimate fate will be playing sacrificial lamb for Clark's benefit.

On the other hand, we really don't know how "Alexander" is going to factor into the story. All indications were pointing to his eventual transformation into the Lex we all remember, but the revelation at the end of this episode suggests otherwise. "Alexander" displays a resilience much like Clark. Some speculate that this may be a sign that "Alexander" will become Connor Kent, an incarnation of Superboy. If so, it complicates what seemed to be a straightforward return for Lex. After all, there's still a connection to the Darkseid season arc that needs to be made.

I'm not sure how to take this latest shift in Chloe's character. The idea that she intentionally left to allow Clark room to grow without her constant protection doesn't quite make sense, given that they weren't getting along for an entire season before she disappeared. And for that matter, he was making his own mistakes for years, with or without her and Martha around. Instead, it seems like a way to gloss over Allison Mack's decision not to be a regular for the final season. Granted, it's not a bad sentiment; it just doesn't add up.

Perhaps one of the most important elements of the episode, the end of the VRA threat and the revelation that Clark, as the Blur, as become a symbol for humanity's hope, was slightly overdone, but in the best way possible. The testimonials came across as heartfelt, and it fits into Clark's post-Smallville journey towards accepting a broader responsibility. It looks like we'll get to see Clark's final transformation into the iconic character(s) we know and love, which is really all we've ever wanted out of this series.
  • WOW!!!!

After last week i did not know what to expect this week, but i was simply amazed with what i just watched. To start off with, what a great intro, One of the shorter ones of the entire show but also one of the best i have seen. John Glover is amazing and he proved why i missed him when he left. Then to switch to Martha speaking at the rally to get the word out against the VRA was extremely inspiring and for me caused flashback to season 5 when Jonathan was campaigning for office.

I love the role that Chloe plays in this episode and i got my wish for a good episode with Chloe in it. She did a great job of bringing back the "High School" Chloe, if you will, and not the "Watchtower" Chloe. I started to get that feeling, with Chloe, Lionel and Martha back that i should expect to see some sign of Lana somewhere, But unfortunately for me, no Lana. Lex is back (well it's not MR, but i was still EXTREMELY impressed) his parts and lines were fantastic and gave me chills thinking about the real Lex doing those things. I am rather sad about the Luthor Mansion being burned to the ground after all of the time that we have spent there over all of the years, but it proved for a great shock. The only part of this episode that i was kind of confused about was the end of it. What was Tess trying to give Lex a shot of and since when does he have powers? and if he does have powers of some sort, why did the Green K bullets not hurt him by being around them? Other than that extremely minor detail i was very impressed with this episode and i hope that the same style of episodes finish us out with the season and the series!
  • Overall this was a good episode.

OK people listen up. For months now i have been reading about people's disappointment that Clark is still the Blur or parading around as the Blur! Guess what? He will not be Superman until the last episode so get used to it! This is a story about Clark Kent and his journey towards becoming Superman! Just go back and watch the first movie with Christopher Reeve. Notice how in the beginning he went to the fortess as Clark Kent and after some really long training from Jor-El he finally emerges as SUPERMAN and flies away! Why do people think Smallville will be any different? This is about Clark Kent so just wait for the last episode to see Superman. More than likely he will be the Blur almost the entire episode with it finally ending with him in the fortress probably talking to Jor-El when he finally gives him the suit and Superman is born!!! Seriously, you guys say you know all about the Superman mythology and yet you seem to be eluded by the easiest thing to figure out!
  • Now this was a D*m good eps. Plain an simple.

Where to begin?? Oh yes! Lionel is back nuff said. Oh ok I guess I'll have to say some more. Mrs. Martha Kent is back as well. Still need some more, how about
    this is one of the best eps of season 10 senses the 200th eps. Ok! Lionel is back to re-calm his empire, and doing a very good job of it. Mrs. Kent is out an about trying to over turn the VRA, with a 52 state vote. We have a young Lex out there with the know how on how to stop the blur. I'm hoping MR will come back to give closure to a part he put 7 years of his life into, and send him off with style. The young actor playing Lex did a most wonderful job. This eps had all the cast in it, who did their part in moving the show along. And even Perry White was give a big shout out too. I really liked all the video e-mails that where sent in by Smallville fans and used in the eps. This is one to watch.
  • Ok episode.

I have to say that I expected more from Beacon. And even though the episode was good in some aspects, it wasn't so good in others. I did like that the VRA story came to an end. It was a long time coming and now we can move on to the better arcs. The Lex arc was very good too. I liked the twist in the end. Maybe this boy won't become the real Lex after all. He seems to be some kind of Superboy.;) Martha's return was much better this time, without the Red Queen or Perry stuff. And I loved her scenes with Chloe and Lionel. Always loved those scenes back in the day. However, there were 2 things about this episode that really brought down this episode for me. The first one was Clark's characterization. It wasn't as bad as Collateral, but we still have a Clark who doesn't confirm what most of those fan videos said: That his greatest strength is his hope. I don't think he needs Lois, Chloe (to a lesser extent) and even Martha tell him what he has to do or how he has to feel in each episode. He should have had hope in the Metropolis people all along. And the 2nd thing that bugged me was Tess' last scene. Tess had a horrible episode in general. She lost her DP office, Luthorcorp and her house got burned down. Her showstealing moment was how she and Clark made Alexander see the light. I loved that scene. And you can see that Alexander is redeemable and how much he cares for Tess. So what does she decide to do? Inject him with cyanide. That's a lightswitch imo. There was no reason for her to resort to that. Did she want to put him out of his misery? She thought about it even before Alexander told her he had problems. Really bad scene for this Tess fan, especially after believing that S10 Tess was becoming a good character that could tell right from wrong.

Overall, it was an ok episode. I hope the next few pick up the pace as we are just 7 episodes before the finale.
  • *** Spoiler-free *** Redeeming installment, refreshing mature guests, hopeful story mixed with dark elements, educative writing, well balanced production, jaw dropping cliffhanger

I have thought of giving up on Smallville so many times that I can't even count the number of times it happened. Homecoming, now Collateral. Damaged episodes are a recurring pattern on the show and season 10 is no exception. So we have get used to it and forgetting a poor installment is part of a long time fan's life. Should we blame the directors ? What about the episodic writers ? And the heads ? In the end we have no idea who pull the strings. Beacon's summary was reassuring because what Smallville needed was mature guests as at times it really feels like Super Pinocchio in Wonderland Turbo II. So once again they found a way to redeem themselves with a strong and heart-warming episode full of wisdom and mighty spirit. First the acting was solid and the intergenerational casting made the scenes more authentic. Second even if some scenes felt like déjà vu and featured warmed-up dialogs they can only move and inspire. I'll just never get tired of them because they give hope ! It leads us to the story because it was a lot about giving a sense to their life. What do they fight for ? Should we forgive the people who have harmed our soul ? Quite educative, as often, the writing was also served by a solid production. In fact I hate when an episode is heavy on cheap visual effects. I think it's wiser to only focus on one well executed intense action sequence. It's exactly what they did in Beacon and in the end you should find it greatly heating. Last but not least the ambiance was darker than in previous installments and a few twists should puzzle you. And as for the ending it made me swear because I didn't see it coming. Jaw dropping time ! Subliminal ad of the week : Your favorite wicked operating system next door.
  • Small Wars Episode 13: A New Hope

Beacon-Martha returns to Metropolis to speak out against the VRA, but a sniper's bullet brings her down. With his mother in critical condition, Clark's friends try to cheer him up with videos showing Blur supporters. Meanwhile, the Earth-2 Lionel impersonates his dead counterpart and takes control of LuthorCorp back from Tess and Oliver. Wow, now this is Smallville I remember, with emphasis on remember. This episode felt like a throwback to the finer days of the series considering we have Clark, Chloe, Lois, Martha, Lionel and Lex (sorta) all in one episode together again. Sure there was some awkward pacing moments and some heavy handed dialogue, but we should be use to this stuff by now, it is Smallville after all. As soon as we saw Lionel reveal himself to Tess in her office, I knew we were in for one hell of an episode as John Glover always brings Smallville to a whole nother level. His performance was flawless from start to finish and I enjoyed all his scenes with various characters, especially Tess and Martha! I'm glad the episode opened with a disturbing, sudden father/daughter reunion between Lionel and Tess. Cassidy was awesome as Tess in this and her unsettling reaction to her father being alive and well was priceless. What's so great about Lionel is he's character that knows how to push everyone's buttons so seamlessly, which has made him such a memorable villian from the early years of the season. With Smallville being so close to it's final episode, it's great to be graced by his presence for a couple more episode. That scene between Lionel and Martha at the Luthor mansion was just perfection, Martha has never been so b@llsy and Glover's delivery of "I find you very attractive" after Martha pretty much threatened to destroy him was some of the best acting/character interaction I've seen from the series in some time. Nice that it came from two beloved veterans from the series.

Speaking of Martha, it's always great having Annette O Toole back! With Lionel bring back the darkness and manipulation of the Luthors, it's good to see the warth, support and compassion of the Kents with Marth's part in the episode. Everyone of her scenes rocked (okay, maybe her scene with Chloe was bit too heavy handed) but everything else was classic Smallville. Loved her speech, her bonding with Lois, her threating Lionel and especially her scenes with Clark. Particularly the last one with her and Clark in the kitchen, the whole conversation about Clark deciding to use the Clark Kent persona as a disguise and Martha reassuring Clark that now matter what he wears he'll still be her son was so well written and everything you'd expect Martha to say. It's exciting to see Clark finally step up and make a decision on using the disguise he saw himself wear in the future but I also really enjoy his fear of losing himself to the disguise. Very thought provoking on Clark's point, showing much development.

The rest of the cast was either great or phenomenal! Oliver was solid, helping Clark track Martha's shooter and his scene with Lionel was gold! Lois being Lois in all her ways bying supporting Clark and being a reporter as well. Heck, I even enjoyed Chloe this episode, which just shows how well the episode was written. I loved Chloe and Lois working together to help save the reputation of heroes and the Blur support videos was a nice touch. It's really awesome that this were videos from Smallville fans themselves, apart of the CWs Becon of Hope competition. Lucas Grant, who last played Lex in "Reunion", returns as Alexander in his now teen years and gives a chilling performance. He really shows the growing madness of the clone and really gives the character depth like Lex should have. I loved the scenes of Lionel manipulating Lex and when Alexander finally snaps, revealing all the memories of Lex's hate toward Lionel was an awesome moment. This leads to the Luthor Mansion being burned down by Alexander, which came as a haunting visual! First the Talon, now the Luthor mansion goes up in flames too. As sad as it is to see another memorable set go, it definately shows the writers are tieing up loose ends and pushes the show toward it's end. The episode ends with a shocking reveal! Does Alexander have some of Clark's DNA? Is this the beginning stages of Conner Kent? Certainly a cliffhanger/story development that has many fans talking! After the utter embarrassment of "Collateral", "Beacon" was more than just a breath of fresh air, it's a stellar episode that reminds us of when Smallville is at it's finest and shows the series' will be ending on a satisfying note!
  • Beacon

Beacon was a superb episode of Smallville. I really enjoyed this episode because we saw the return of Martha Kent and the alternate Lionel Luthor as well as the cloned Lex. This episode weaved together a complex story with ease and grace. I thought it was cool how the alternate Lionel came in and took charge of every thing, including the vunerable and unstable Lex. Martha looked a little aged in this episode and she played an important role. Lois found inspiration from Martha and Perry White to fight the VRA. It was nice to see Chloe, and I really liked the scene with her and Martha talking about taking care of Clark. This episode show cased how much one hero can impact a population. This series is not only entertaining but inspirational to viewers to not only support but to be the voice of change for the better. I look forward to watching the next episode of Smallville!!!!!!!
  • Great Episode!

Loved it
    Everything was perfect
    -Martha was great, her scenes with everybody were terrific
    -Lionel - I can´t get enough of his scenes - he is so classy villain, so menacing even without any superpower.
    -Clark was bit down in the beginning of the episode, but despite this he still was able to do right things. Even when he knew Lionel is great threat, he still saved him. He was his heroic self all the time and in the end he was heroic and happy - what a great combination
    -Chloe...it´s so great to have her back - her scene with lois was great, I miss Chlo-Lo action, her scene with Martha was great as well.
    -Lois - Another brilliant interaction with Martha. That´s what I expect from their relationship and I´m glad I got it in Beacon. She was also brilliant with her faith in Clark and her attempts to gain votes - great episode for Lois-Clark´s love and Lois-brilliant reporter
    -Oliver - he wasn´t in the episode much, but still he was awesome. Especially his scene with Lionel and Alexander was intense.
    -Alexander - great actor, great story he helped to the episode as well.
    -Tess- Cassidy plays conflicted and vulnerable ex-villain like no one. I enjoyed her performance as well.

Another things I liked was cliffhanger for example. I have to say I´m not fan of bringing Connor Kent to Smallville, but if that´s the way they want to do it......than it´s something I can see working very well.
    Luthor mansion is another set which met it´s date of expiration after talon this season. I loved that set, but it´s tle last season, so it´s only natural that ties to Smallville are slowly cut off........now it leaves Kent house (hopefully that set won´t get blown up or burned as well.....)
    Also the flow of the episode was really great, it had humor, touching moments, action scenes and great scene with people saying how Blur inspired them........just wow.

Another 10 from me
  • What?? STILL no Super suit??

Actual text I sent my wife at work after viewing "Beacon". Superboy STILL isn't wearing the Super suit! He doesn't even get Superman underoos! Green Arrow is out stopping "Bank Robbers"...you mean they want more tax dollars from us? Give me a break! I'm going to be harsh! Its the same thing episode after episode! Mommy or Daddy tell him Ad nauseam Clark you're going to be a special boy when you grow up and get your super suit. Clark just beams like a good little boy. No wonder the series got canceled! LOL! Lionel Luthor was the only redeemable part of this show. Clark & Lois getting married seems too much, too soon, especially when the boy ought to be focusing on saving the world & becoming Superman! WHO is the blur? Been reading Superman comic books for 40 plus years & never heard of him! I also wanted to say I'm new here. Couldn't help but notice all the others who always give this show a perfect 10 no matter WHAT were real quick to give me a thumbs down because they can't face reality that this show was becoming SUPER stagnant.
  • in the 11th hour of the show Clark is still pretty much in the same place he was two seasons ago, claiming to fulfill his destiny,but all he seems to do is date, work, date some more and taylor a cool new jacket.

This show should show Superman by now, or at least have Clark act like he did in the Chris Reeves films a loner who saves people out in the open. But no the whole mythos is turned upside down on its head, he and Lois are together, she knows his secret, and they live together. This should be more like Superman movie two or something. Im sure alot of you out there who claim to be fans who point out this is Clarks show not supermans but if he is still the same person pretty much he was several seasons ago, my opinion and valid points that the show is not that good shouldnt be complained about. When the shows off the air for several years and Clark never actually turned into superman or didnt anything super heroic before Smallville goes off air people will finally wake up and see this perfect show wasnt so perfect at all. Especially when no station airs the reruns, and you can find the box sets in your local Walmart bargain bin.
    My final thought for a guy who has so much potential, you know being the most powerful vigilante, why does he need his mom, Chloe, and Lana to leave him because they began to feel stagnant and were holding Clark back from beginning to fulfill his true potential. Like frikin learning to fly! Even his future self in the overrated 200th ep. had to beat him over the head and say this is your destiny dude! go get it. Whats he do?
    He wants to plan a wedding, his. I dont think with world crisis's popping up left and right, that he has his priorities together. Also anyone ever noticed that Green Arrow has hooked up w/ both cuzins Chloe, and Lois? Smooth, but why is Clark so quick to marry Lois knowing her dating history (bedded Aquaman too!but thats the CW 4 ya) especially when they only been dating a season or so. For a guy who is a metaphor for Godhood, christ, whatever he could at least wait to marry before risking getting a super s.t.d. from Mrs. Lane. These statements are not to offend the sensitive but to point out my observations and give another opinion than the ones I always read about how perfect this show is. My prediction is once the show has ended people will see what i have been saying 4 soooo looong may have some truth to it.

I am loving the direction this season, I like where things are going, we've got so much buzz-worthy scenes here and almost every episode so far has left us with some substantial development (minus a couple fillers) but overall, this season definitely has not been a disappointment and this episode was a prime example of that. This episode brought us Martha's return, the VRA repeal, Luthor's return to society, and lastly we've got a great realistic scene with the Blur fans and the shaky camera shots, I wonder if that was submitted by actual viewers of the show because that was just amazing how they did that.

Seeing the mansion burn down to the ground was almost catartic and also an end of an era.The final scene had me at the edge of my seat, I am just so intrigued to see what will happen next with Lex, and wonder if Michael Rosenbaum will come back to fill his appearance for the series finale. Tess and the needle, wow, I nearly jumped out of my seat when she tried to inject him with cyanide. We got a feel good VRA repeal ending, and just a superb episode overall. Good job Smallville!
  • The city votes on wether or not to repeal the VRA. Mrs. Kent and Lionel return.

First off I know i'm late on the review but I didn't get to see the episode when it aired. The episode was good a little weird but decent. i liked that the VRA was repealled maybe now they will focus on the more important villans. I think it is interesting how they brought Lionel back and it will be good to see what they do with him. Mrs. Kent back was nice, she mentioned Perry White too which was good. Lex is back as a clone obviously mentioning how he is the last one, it will definitley be interesting to see what they do with him in the future. I thought it was interesting that the needle didn't hurt him at all. Guess we will see what happens. Chloe had a little part in this one, she gave Oliver more of a story than Clark in this episode. Lois was great of course. I like how Clark and Oliver solved who shot Martha. The scene where he ran throught the mansion and saved them was neat. Anyway looking forward to the further exploration of Lex and darkseid and Clark becoming Superman. I like that he mentioned the suit in this one as well. see you next week.
  • Smallville Episode Beacon

The nation votes on whether or not to appeal the vigilante registration act. Senator Kent is a opponent to the vigilante registration act and is thought to be targeted because of this while speaking in Metropolis. Oliver and Clark try to find out who was behind the attack on Mrs. Kent. Tess gets a visit from another world's Lionel. Lionel vows to protect Alexander in this world. Lois and Chloe start a website where people can voice their appreciation for Clark and the other heroes. Tess decides to take Alexander's fate into her own hands but doesn't get the results she expected. Clark considers putting a face to the Blur.
  • He is the light.**SPOILERS DOWN BELOW**

Martha Kent is so freaking precious!!! She is the perfect mother for a super son. I love the way she encourages him to be who he really is and refuses to accept his negativity. I hope she has a few more appearances before series end. This little Lex clone is pretty great too. When he tells Lionel that watching him fall forty stories was the greatest day of his life: AWESOME. Proving that even biosynthetic evil can still be entertaining. I am having a little trouble believing that he can't remember all the bad things he did, though. We'll find out, soon enough, whether he's telling the truth. Hmm, Lex and truth. That just doesn't sound right at all. My bet is, the little turd is lying. So, the VRA is no more. Good. 'Bout time. There are plenty of other villans to occupy our hero's time. Bring on Lord Darkseid!
  • The end approach

A great episode !!!

First we have Martha back, I always loved her character and the acting is superb as always. She comes back at the right moment to support her son and to show him he is not alone and more importantly that people are willing to fight for him. Great mention of Jonathan and their pact to protect their son no matter what.

I am also very happy that Chloe returned and that she is not keeping dark secrets anymore. I loved the scene between her and Martha and how she says that Martha has been kind of a mother figure for her.
    Glad too that she is back in her relationship with Ollie, I think it's a great thing for both of them. I'd like to see more Green arrow and now that the VRA is off, it should be possible.

Lionel return is really entertaining and his relationship with Alexander whom he betrays in all the worlds is heartbreaking. The young actor playing Alexander is great and the last scene with Tess was nice.

Tess. I love her character more and more and that's why I am very concerned about how things are going to turn for her. She is a complex character and sad stuffs keep happening to her. The last scene with Alex was great and showed her inner fight. Plus, the needle breaking was definitely interesting for the future.

The manor burning was a great image and a sign that stuffs have definitely changed but is it for the best?

Lois part was great and I liked the talk with Martha. Loved the mention of Perry too and the idea she and Chloe have to show Clark his supporters.

On the whole a very good episode with interesting developments which make you want for more!
  • Alt-Lionel makes a pact with Alexander, who becomes a dire threat to both Martha and Clark. Tess overcomes the paralysis of fear, and attempts to end the danger.

An episode with both John Glover and Annette O'Toole has something going for it already. Alt-Lionel returns, as menacing as ever, and Tess gets the first threats from him. She always tries to look steely-eyed and self-assured, but she does fear what he can do.

Ms. O'Toole brings a welcome tone of maturity and dignity to the episode, supporting both Clark and Lois. The opening has a couple odd glitches in continuity - when Martha is shot, Clark speeds from the farm, but arrives in Metropolis only after she's already been transported to a hospital and treated. It's not that far from Smallville. Then Lionel striking up a relationship with the newer, more developed Lex is also a stretch - with all those inherited memories, why would Lex2 be so forgiving? And how did Lois come up with a box of mementoes from Perry White's early days - which now give him a '60s counterculture makeover?

"Beacon" shines, however, with very strong dialog between Glover and everyone else, then more as Tess, Clark, and Oliver try to deal with the new threat, which turns out to be more Alexander than Lionel. The Luthor mansion is finally burned to the ground - no more scenes there in the series - as Clark even rescues Lionel.

More signs of Clark's struggle with a looming dual identity are hinted at, although he struggles with how he can remain in hiding as Clark Kent. One more dramatic development remains - as Alexander begins to lose his memory, Tess tries to take the ultimate step of ending her own brother-avatar's life...with a cyanide-filled syringe. That was a compelling scene as I imagined it would end, but the writers threw me against the wall with the final twist. Few episodes are left to wrap up all these characters and stories - I speculate that they'll simply leave Alt-Lionel and Lex2 out there, still alive, always Clark's adversaries, as he holds to his belief that everyone can be redeemed.

Beacon is a solid, mid-range Smallville episode, putting behind us the VRA storyline and advancing the challenges of Lionel and Lex. Re-run rating B.
  • A tearjerker for sure. Amazing amazing amazing episode!

Wow!!! Season 10 is on fire and with episodes like "Beacon", the winning streak doesn't look like it's ending anytime soon. This week, we had the returns of John Glover as Lionel, Annette O'Toole as Martha, and Lucas Grabeel as Alexander. This was Lucas' first outing as the Lex Luthor clone (he played a teenage Lex in flashbacks for "Reunion") and I have to say, I was impressed. He pulled out all the stops and even in scenes with veteran actors like Glover and O'Toole, he did such a good job in the role. I liked where they went with the Alexander and I really love the twist at the end (those of you who read the spoilers know what it means!!!). This is one of my favorite episodes of the season, maybe even the series. There's just so much to love! The destruction of the Luthor Mansion was a complete shocker and I'm glad that wasn't spoiled. The whole Tess/Lionel interaction was great. I loved Martha's return, it's always great to see Clark's mom. I loved that they resolved the whole VRA plot, it was a great episode to end it on. And the fan videos? Simply brilliant.

Overall, great dialogue, great direction, great acting. I loved it!!!