Smallville

Crossfire

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 30, 2009 on The CW

• More comic book characters.

This is another episode where Clark doesn't really get to do much besides emote all over Lois. We've been getting a lot of those lately. Once again, the Lois and Clark relationship takes center stage over actual super-stuff. Which is fine, don't get me wrong. But they've been leaning on it a little heavy lately. And this is Smallville, not Gossip Girl, after all. I will say this, the one "super" thing Clark does this episode, the bouncing bullets scene taken from Superman Returns, was very impressive, especially catching that one at the end. Also, the introduction of Cat Grant was enjoyable, even though she acted nothing like her comic book self during her date with Clark. I'm hoping she'll be back.

I was kind of pleased that Oliver wasn't the main character again, as I was sure he would be, give his acquisition of a sidekick. However, I actually liked Mia, along with Oliver's "big brother" act, which actually came off as more genuine that Clark and Kara from a few seasons back. Although, I wish they had given them a better reason for connecting than just "they both cage-fight." But if she is going to be on there for a while, they've got time to deepen things. And I really didn't like Oliver trying to get back with Lois, as I'm pretty sure he knew Clark and her were getting closer. But like Lois said, all's fair in love and war. Hopefully Lois's confirmation that she's in love with Clark has put an end to that, but did we really need more confirmation? We already know they like each other. Zod and Tess' story was probably my favorite, especially the ending with the dog tags. I really love the way they play off each other. But I'm not sure if I like the idea of making Zod another corporate bad guy. It feels like it turns him into a Lex Luthor clone. But the plan to build a tower that uses solar energy was so ominous that I almost didn't care about the change. One thing that's bugging me though is the constant use of the word Kandorian when they should be saying Kryptonian. Like when Zod said "No human is equal to a Kandorian." Kandor is a city, Krypton is the planet and Kryptonian is their race. After all these years, why are they suddenly so afraid to say Kryptonian? It sounds so awkward. It's like last season when people kept saying "the Beast" instead of "Doomsday." Someone like Tess saying it is one thing, but Clark knows its actual name, so The Beast sounds weird coming from him. Zod would identify himself to an Earthling as a Kryptonian, it's almost like the writers are trying to pretend they are a different group of aliens or something, which is weird. Overall, this episode could have used an explosion or two. It's funny; a few weeks back I was complaining that there was too much action, and not enough character-development on this show. Now all we are getting are "soap opera" character stories and no action. This really wouldn't be so bad if they actually focused on Clark instead of Lois or Ollie. Oh well, next week looks like a face-melter, so fingers crossed.