Smallville

Crossfire

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Oct 30, 2009 on The CW

• One of my favorites. A very strong, character-driven episode!

I really loved this episode. In fact, it is one of my favorite episodes of the series.

I like that the writers ditched the freak-of-the-week storyline that we have had in almost every other episode of the series, opting for a character-driven episode full of development and hints at the future. This was a strong route to take, and the writers did a wonderful job with the execution (although, like others, I would have liked to have seen Chloe a little more).

I was interested in the Mia/Oliver story, and I'm glad it didn't end too predictably. While Mia could have been a one-time guest star who died or had all her issues resolved in one episode, it seems she may be a recurring guest star who will work with Oliver in the future. I loved that aspect.

Of course, like most Smallville and Superman fans, I was really pleased about seeing Lois and Clark together. Highlight of the series! They're scenes were sweet and real, and I look forward to future episodes where they are trying to be/become a couple. This season may end up being my favorite one yet, and that's saying something, considering it is the 9th season and shows usually deteriorate almost to the point of being unwatchable, after that long!

As for Zod/Tess, interesting as usual, and I liked seeing the tower that first appeared in Lois' dream at the beginning of the season. Things are definitely in motion! Tess' hacker geek fit in well with Chloe and the watchtower, and I did not see that end coming. Honestly, it was a pleasant surprise to see Chloe potentially offer the guy a job doing good rather than try to destroy him to get info. The more important thing was to get a new ally, and that was very cool. I also love the way those scenes were shot, with the slow motion and the music.

So, yeah...this was a beautiful episode in most/all aspects. One of the shows' best, I think. I'm giddy for the rest of season 9! :-)